Photo

Do the Lakers make the playoffs this year?

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#1 Adam

Adam

Rookie

• 71 posts
  • Fav. Laker:CP3 ;)

Posted July 12, 2017 - 09:05 AM

I'm going to go on record here and say if our guys play we think they can, I believe the Lakers will be in the playoffs. I make this assumption based on the following:

1. Lopez is a vastly improved option over Mozgov. Lopez has his weaknesses, namely rebounding, but he boxes out his man and that should create more opportunities for a player like Randle to get all those rebounds. Lopez will also be good for Randles game. Helps stretch the floor to give Randle more space to operate down low. 

2. KCP = Russel more or less offensively. Russel was slightly better and more varied on where he shot from, but for the SG role in this offense, catch and shoot is more preferred. 

3. KCP >> Russel defensively. Hands down, I don't think anyone can disagree with this. Ingram is supposed to be an emerging two-way player, so with improved defense from Ingram, Hart, Kuzma, and KCP, I think we can start to establish some kind of defensive identity and culture. We don't even one right now or even the last few years so the only place to go from here is up. 

4. Lonzo Ball. His passing is contagious and when players get more touches, they enjoy the game more. For those of us that play, doesn't matter what position 1-5. if you even suspect that the ball is going to come your way, you're more likely to be engaged. And that energy feeds the defensive effort. I've played the 4,5 growing up and it was very annoying how guards wouldn't pass the ball. They'd pound the rock and jack up the shot and then all the energy i spent posting up, slashing and cutting, etc would go to waste. 1, 2, 3 times and now my effort and intensity on the defensive end would wane a little. I'm a team player and i like to hang my hat on defense so i'd suck it up, but it wasn't fun. only way for me to get the ball was if i decided not to make the better pass. Lonzo Ball took a mediocre UCLA team from 15 wins to 31 wins with practically the same roster and same coaching staff. The team didn't magically get better. It was the same players just playing better. I expect to see that translate to this season. Disclaimer!! I know Lonzo has his weaknesses as well. His shot has been really bad so far but we don't need him to be taking shots. he's there to pass. the shot will come soon enough. One thing that is often overlooked, he took a mess load of 3s in college right. he shot them at a 40 some odd % clip. of those threes, about a third of them were from NBA range I believe and the other 2/3 would be a long jumper in the nba. So for those who say Lonzo can't shoot a midrange, sure his jumper is wack, but he has that range. so i expect his 10-18 field goal percentage to be pretty low, but 18+ will be much better. 

5. Ingram has improved. He was showing improvement after the all star break and he seems stronger, faster, better shot, more confident. Really excited to see his growth this season

6. Randle - contract year, best physical condition he's been in, strong body is even stronger, should come in with some kind of better shot. hopefully to the three point range. I don't expect him to take 5 threes a game, but i'm hoping he can take 2 a game and make em at even a 35% rate would be good for this year. just keep defenses honest. he likes to pound it down low and thats cool as long as it isn't his only move. he also needs a more reliable jumper. again, keep defenses honest. 

7. Improved bench - hart is a seasoned college player. won a championship so he should be able to handle the bright lights a little better. has some defensive chops as well. Kuzma - he's improved his jumper and three point shot from college already. we saw that in the combine and in the summer league games. has some defensive chops as well. was happy to see him trying. to that point - it doesn't even matter how good of a defender our guys our. we need that effort and intensity more than anything else. with the addition of KCP, clarkson gets moved to the bench. he's good as a firecracker off the bench. not a starting guard. he'll have a defined role and that stability will really help him out. he also doesn't want to get traded so he'll have to prove he belongs. 

8. We have to play at least 0.500 ball to even consider the 8th seed. We play each team in east twice (one home and one away) for 30 games. 4 games each against the teams in our division for a total of 16 games. and we play the 10 other teams in our conference 3 or 4 times for 36 games. The east getting even weaker means we should win more games against the east. And this is where it gets interesting. I feel a lot of people are thinking that oh my God, the west got even stronger!!! There are only so many games to win!! each of those teams can't win 60 games!! So i'm thinking that means the top teams in the west will hamstring each other by taking each other out. 

9. Combine all these factors together and I think the lakers sneak into the playoffs. Last year we started the first twenty games through december i believe 10-10 and then nick and russel got hurt and that messed up the rotations, etc, etc and we only won 15-16 games the last four months of the season. with good health, and absolutely no need to tank and all the incentive in the world to stick it to the sixers and the celtics, and to court some high level free agents, we're going to try and win as many games as possible. If this squad makes the playoffs, we'll definitely have everyones attention next summer.

What do y'all think?

#2 UKUGA

UKUGA

Superstar

• 7,375 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted July 12, 2017 - 09:14 AM

Not this year. 

Still waiting for that 30+ win break-through. 

Don't feed the trolls. 

#3 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 7,981 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted July 12, 2017 - 09:14 AM

No

#4 MaceWindu

MaceWindu

Starter

• 4,480 posts
  • Fan Since:Hector was a pup
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted July 12, 2017 - 09:36 AM

Negative ghostrider

• Busty Bluth likes this

#5 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Hall Of Fame

• 9,738 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 12, 2017 - 09:46 AM

No. Only way the Lakers make the playoffs is if somehow the chemistry clicks from day one, and our youth exceedingly outperform expectations.

This team should aim for at least 30 wins. 35+ wins would be amazing. 

#6 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 26,834 posts
  • Name:Byron "Buster AKA Busty" Bluth

Posted July 12, 2017 - 09:56 AM

Nice post Adam. I appreciate the positivity, but my outlook is much different.(Jim Mora Sr. voice)PLAYOFFS!!?? I feel our playoff drought will continue indefinitely and until further notice. But sometimes miracles DO happen so It's possible (I deep down wish it would). I could just as easily see us as bad as last year. The injuries in summer league are somewhat concerning. It's a long year and I hope the younger guys are more prepared for the grind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Adam likes this

Buster_bcfa40_2218659_zpsbf0d8a7a.gif

#7 JGuez

JGuez

All-Star

• 5,985 posts

Posted July 12, 2017 - 10:01 AM

If I'm a betting man, no.

If you run the simulation of the league 10 times, I think we make it like 2 of those times, so 20% chance lol.

#8 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 15,005 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted July 12, 2017 - 10:01 AM

No.

• GCMD likes this

#9 ChichoGarcy

ChichoGarcy

Rookie

• 835 posts
  • Name:Chicho
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted July 12, 2017 - 10:02 AM

Ufff no, not even close I think, but we should have a better season than the last one.

#10 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 23,202 posts

Posted July 12, 2017 - 10:05 AM

It almost entirely depends on Ingram and ball

Here's why. If Ingram just shocks us all. And skips 2 steps and becomes a 20ppg guy efficiently, and ball defies expectations and becomes more impactful than Russell was in year 2

Then yes. But those are some unlikely things

Because KCP and Lopez alone push us 8-10 wins better

Randles growth is a part of that as well

Clarkson, nance, zubac, and deng are an improved bench

So it really rests on Ingram and ball

You kinda know around what you're going to get from Randle, Lopez, KCP, clarkson, nance, deng

Zubac is a wild card but won't be a huge necessity because of Lopez

So when you look at it, it's really on Ingram, ball and health. Those are the 3 real unknowns
Posted Image

#11 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,274 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 12, 2017 - 10:26 AM

no

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#12 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 6,848 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted July 12, 2017 - 10:28 AM

No.

(May finish higher than Phx, Dal, Sac)

Guessing 10-12 seed.

Having said that, I'd try and go to games 3&4 if they do sneak into 8th.

Edited by kball, July 12, 2017 - 10:29 AM.

Praying for  1. Youngsters Ballin (Didn't really happen on a consistent basis at all) 2. Miracle Trade (Also didn't happen. And we traded our best player for chump change) 3. Kick Ass Rooks (Zubac exceeded, Ingram tried but disappointed overall)

READY FOR SEASON TO BE OVER!!!

#13 manaro90

manaro90

Starter

• 5,145 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic, Nick Young

Posted July 12, 2017 - 10:37 AM

ok please close this thread

every year again....  :rolleyes:

Cologne, Germany Baby! LAKERS FOR LIFE.  |   Add me Instagram: princealaddin90

#14 LAkerFan85

LAkerFan85

Rookie

• 233 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted July 12, 2017 - 10:43 AM

I would be happy if we had 5-10 more wins than last year and had a competitive year. Unless we make a mid season trade there is no way we make the playoffs.

#15 Adam

Adam

Rookie

• 71 posts

Posted July 12, 2017 - 12:24 PM

I'm not saying we're a lock to make the playoffs like the thunder and rockets are, but I believe there's a decent chance we can sneak into the playoffs. 

1. Warriors

2-4 Thunder, Rockets, Spurs (this is saying these teams will be the 2-4 seeds, not that the thunder will be the 2nd seed and the rockets the 3rd, etc)

Which leaves the nuggets. wolves, jazz, clippers, grizzlies, blazers, suns, kings, pelicans, mavs, 

- I think the mavs lost a step, dirk getting older. Dennis Jr. is a great rookie, but still just a rookie. they won 33 games last year. don't see how they come near a +8 increase this year

- the pelicans are stronger than they started last year so they'll be in the running, and they've had time to adjust to having AD and DC together

- kings i'm calling bottom feeder. they made some decent moves this offseason but i think we're better

- lakers > suns 

- blazers is tough to say. they have lillard and mcCollum and that other guy. don't think they're a 5 or 6 seed though. they'll be in the running for 7-10 though

- grizzlies are mostly the same so i'll say they're 5-7

- clippers lost CP3 and JJ. kept blake and signed a bunch of pieces. i think they'll play at least .500 ball so 5-6

- jazz lost hawyard and hill. they still have gobert, maybe exum has a breakout season, but i see them no higher than the 8th seed at best. good chance they don't even make it

- wolves are making the playoffs. towns is a beast. if we're expecting Paul George  to elevate this team to the playoffs, than jimmy butler can elevate them to the playoffs. they're not sniffing the WCF without towns and wiggens becoming all-stars but they'll be in the playoffs

- nuggets closed out the season pretty strong i think or at least they were on a roll at some point. i see them in the playoff hunt, then

5-6 grizzlies, clippers 

7-11 nuggets, blazers, lakers, wolves, pelicans

12-15 suns, kings, jazz, mavs, 

so basically the lakers need to beat out one of the wolves, nuggets, pelicans, or blazers for the last playoff spot. Last season the 10th seed had 34 wins (the pelicans). Lopez + Pope are a + 8-10 game increase, which would put us at 34-36 wins. + ingram getting better, no need to tank games, more stability with better defined roles and greater overall fit (roster + coach) i think that'll put us over 41 wins. 

Maybe i'm barking up the wrong tree, but i'm feeling optimistic about the lakers for the first time in a while. I mean there's a legit chance we sneak in. the past so many years, the playoffs were out of the question. 

For those of you who disagree, what do you think about my predicted standings? which parts do you agree with and which parts do you disagree with? why? 

I think i'm a little high on the grizzlies and the clippers and not enough on the nuggets. idk if the blazers have done enough to move the needle all that much.

#16 Adam

Adam

Rookie

• 71 posts

Posted July 12, 2017 - 12:26 PM

Disclaimer!!! Lakers in the playoffs is predicated on Ingram balling out, Lonzo making an impact right out the gates, and the team staying healthy. 

#17 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 6,848 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted July 12, 2017 - 12:51 PM

Calling Maj and GCMD.

You gonna let this new guy use more words than you per post?

:glasses:  

I'm not saying we're a lock to make the playoffs like the thunder and rockets are, but I believe there's a decent chance we can sneak into the playoffs. 

1. Warriors

2-4 Thunder, Rockets, Spurs (this is saying these teams will be the 2-4 seeds, not that the thunder will be the 2nd seed and the rockets the 3rd, etc)

Which leaves the nuggets. wolves, jazz, clippers, grizzlies, blazers, suns, kings, pelicans, mavs, 

- I think the mavs lost a step, dirk getting older. Dennis Jr. is a great rookie, but still just a rookie. they won 33 games last year. don't see how they come near a +8 increase this year

- the pelicans are stronger than they started last year so they'll be in the running, and they've had time to adjust to having AD and DC together

- kings i'm calling bottom feeder. they made some decent moves this offseason but i think we're better

- lakers > suns 

- blazers is tough to say. they have lillard and mcCollum and that other guy. don't think they're a 5 or 6 seed though. they'll be in the running for 7-10 though

- grizzlies are mostly the same so i'll say they're 5-7

- clippers lost CP3 and JJ. kept blake and signed a bunch of pieces. i think they'll play at least .500 ball so 5-6

- jazz lost hawyard and hill. they still have gobert, maybe exum has a breakout season, but i see them no higher than the 8th seed at best. good chance they don't even make it

- wolves are making the playoffs. towns is a beast. if we're expecting Paul George  to elevate this team to the playoffs, than jimmy butler can elevate them to the playoffs. they're not sniffing the WCF without towns and wiggens becoming all-stars but they'll be in the playoffs

- nuggets closed out the season pretty strong i think or at least they were on a roll at some point. i see them in the playoff hunt, then

5-6 grizzlies, clippers 

7-11 nuggets, blazers, lakers, wolves, pelicans

12-15 suns, kings, jazz, mavs, 

so basically the lakers need to beat out one of the wolves, nuggets, pelicans, or blazers for the last playoff spot. Last season the 10th seed had 34 wins (the pelicans). Lopez + Pope are a + 8-10 game increase, which would put us at 34-36 wins. + ingram getting better, no need to tank games, more stability with better defined roles and greater overall fit (roster + coach) i think that'll put us over 41 wins. 

Maybe i'm barking up the wrong tree, but i'm feeling optimistic about the lakers for the first time in a while. I mean there's a legit chance we sneak in. the past so many years, the playoffs were out of the question. 

For those of you who disagree, what do you think about my predicted standings? which parts do you agree with and which parts do you disagree with? why? 

I think i'm a little high on the grizzlies and the clippers and not enough on the nuggets. idk if the blazers have done enough to move the needle all that much.

• UKUGA, Busty Bluth, Biggums and 2 others like this

Praying for  1. Youngsters Ballin (Didn't really happen on a consistent basis at all) 2. Miracle Trade (Also didn't happen. And we traded our best player for chump change) 3. Kick Ass Rooks (Zubac exceeded, Ingram tried but disappointed overall)

READY FOR SEASON TO BE OVER!!!

#18 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 10,078 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted July 12, 2017 - 01:08 PM

If we win more than 25 games I will be happy.

If they make the playoffs then I'll donate $1000 dollars to this forum. Quote me on this.

#19 DTIII™

DTIII™

"I am one with the force, the force is with me."

• 5,739 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Julius, D'Angelo & Jordan

Posted July 12, 2017 - 01:09 PM

Definitely not, the West only got tougher.

EyMlHkX.jpg

#20 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 26,834 posts
  • Name:Byron "Buster AKA Busty" Bluth

Posted July 12, 2017 - 01:38 PM

If we win more than 25 games I will be happy.

If they make the playoffs then I'll donate $1000 dollars to this forum. Quote me on this.

1000$? I thought u were a big baller.

Buster_bcfa40_2218659_zpsbf0d8a7a.gif

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (2)