• Please log in to reply
193 replies to this topic

#61 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,928 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted July 11, 2017 - 11:59 PM

Or you could just stand pat and wait till a max free agent actually commits to you before you think about freeing up anymore cap a season in advance... 

just a suggestion. 

:mellow:

Trust the Magic...

LOL.

tenor.gif

#62 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,928 posts

Posted July 12, 2017 - 12:00 AM

What do you think the price will be if we are desperate for the cap space?

Ball or Ingram...and that's not going to happen.

We can get around 65M in cap space without moving Deng...that's more likely.

tenor.gif

#63 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 8,487 posts

Posted July 12, 2017 - 12:01 AM

Our defense and spacing is already drastically better. I would be very surprised if we don't hit the 35-win mark, depending on how Ingram and Ball come out. We've basically subtracted Russell and added 2 players who were better on both ends than anyone we had last season.

KCP is that wing defender we've been needing for the longest time. And while Brook has this negative perception that follows him around in regards to defense, he's actually among the league's best rim protectors and shot blockers. It's pick and rolls that he struggles with due to his slow feet. With Ingram and KCP on the wings...the defense is much improved.
  • GCMD and bfc1125roy like this

#64 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 12, 2017 - 12:07 AM

Defensively 

KCP 
Ingram

and Lopez at the rim 

They will be strong at those that come at them and in iso. 

Both Lopez and KCP's weaknesses defensively are against the pick and roll.

Edited by Majesty, July 12, 2017 - 12:07 AM.

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#65 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts

Posted July 12, 2017 - 12:19 AM

What do you think the price will be if we are desperate for the cap space?

We won't be desperate. 

KCP is only on a one year deal. 

We'll know fairly soon into the 2018 free agency whether or not we're in play for two max players.   Especially depending on what meetings we're able to set up.

You can make the moves accordingly, but there's nothing wrong with waiting till you actually have the commitment to start making moves.

Our roster as stands  if we went and got Rondo

Starters: 

Lonzo Ball 
Kentavious Caldwell-Pope 
Brandon Ingram 
Julius Randle 
Brook Lopez 

Bench: 

Rajon Rondo / David Curuso 
Jordan Clarkson / Josh Hart 
Corey Brewer / David Nwaba 
Larry Nance Jr / Luol Deng / Kyle Kuzma 
Ivica Zubac / Thomas Bryant 

Inactive 
Two Way Contracts

That roster works just fine to let grow, and should win some games which only increases your chances to get free agents to listen.    Let's see how far this group can go up to all-star break. 

• LACAS likes this

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#66 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 15,056 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982

Posted July 12, 2017 - 12:53 AM

One year!

Nice job sticking to the guns Pelinka and Magic.  Love that they set a goal and didn't waiver off of it.  Decent signing, something to work with until free agency next summer.

Package Clarkson and Deng mid-season and now you're workin' towards something.

#67 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts

Posted July 12, 2017 - 01:50 AM

believe it or not fido there's a lot of Chicago fans that wish we would do that and take Wade off their hands.  

I have no idea why. 

#68 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 25,693 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted July 12, 2017 - 01:50 AM

Of course this happens when I leave to Europe. Have barely had internet for the past few days. Great signing. He will do great in lukes system with lonzo. If he can be a more consistent shooter then he will be an amazing 2 way player. Still very young too.

#69 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts

Posted July 12, 2017 - 01:52 AM

I think the best we should hope for as of right now from the kid is that he has a similar impact that Young did on offense but giving us a lot more consistency on defense.  I think that's the best starting point to expect. Anything outside of that is gravy. 

#70 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,059 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted July 12, 2017 - 02:01 AM

Good day in the Laker offseason no doubt.

Note: If the Lakers are entertaining the idea of signing Rondo, I'm not convinced Ball will start day 1.

Yet.

Especially if held out the rest of summer league as sample size

BTW Pope already my 2nd favorite laker after BI

Edited by kball, July 12, 2017 - 02:02 AM.

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#71 Tensai

Tensai

Superstar

• 8,197 posts

Posted July 12, 2017 - 02:10 AM

Note: If the Lakers are entertaining the idea of signing Rondo, I'm not convinced Ball will start day 1.

Yet.

Who will start? Magic?

fXlFKv8.gif

#72 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 10,154 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted July 12, 2017 - 02:47 AM

The possibility of bringing 2-max free agents are slim - not none, but slim. Before that, we need to fix the team first. The marquee free agents won't look at joining our team if we rank dead last on defense again, which brings to my point. If KCP and Ingram can fix our defensive problems on the wing, I see no scenario where we break up that duo. Considerable amount of people wanted Josh Jackson for that reason and I think the FO were intrigued for his potential on defensive end. I think whatever plan we are doing now, come next June things will be that much different.

The core of Ball / KCP / Ingram is great to think about on paper. But it will need to translate to performance and wins.

100% agreed. Before people start throwing out big numbers in how much the Lakers may win next year, this team needs to have chemistry and they need to gel well in order for them to pull off wins. Especially since they're young.

Right now we have 3 dudes who will be playing for a contract in Randle, KCP, and Lopez. That alone may alter the teams chemistry considerably. Now factor in a rookie in Ball and a 2nd year Ingram trying to make a name for himself... In an ultra competitive west, the Lakers may still be just as bad.

But the defensive potential of KCP and Ingram really intrigues me. Hopefully KCPs offense is there.

Edited by Jackson, July 12, 2017 - 03:11 AM.

#73 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,059 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted July 12, 2017 - 03:48 AM

Yet.

Who will start? Magic?

IMO Rondo is the better player right now. And its not close.

Both cant shoot for shiit

Also Lonzo and by extension his poppa may learn a lot by being knocked down a peg.

I want Lonzo to be in the convo for rookie of the year and for that he'll need the minutes.

But if i want to win games? 

At the NBA level?

Rondo gets the nod.

(moot if he isnt signed..so we can argue later)

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#74 Miggs

Miggs

16x CHAMPS

• 2,699 posts
  • Name:Miguel
  • Fan Since:1988 Finals
  • Fav. Laker:Showtime,Shaq and Kobe

Posted July 12, 2017 - 03:54 AM

The Lakers will likely not be that destination at the end of this season, but that is not necessarily a bad thing,

The realistic free agent target I see in 2018 isn't going to be LeBron and Paul George imo due to the above reasons of what max FAs want.

So to me, our most likely free agent we've got a shot at.. is Avery Bradley. But if we didn't get him, re-signing KCP would be a must. If he plays well this year especially.

Noted for future reference

So should it look like those 'max free agents' aren't coming, we can't dilly dally, and need to extend Randle and bring back KCP and Lopez. So we can move forward with that core which will win games as Lonzo and Ingram come into their own and Randle continues to play well.

You out of your god dammed mind
  • GCMD likes this
"Don't post while drunk, on draft night"

nSLiQqtm.jpg

#75 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 8,159 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted July 12, 2017 - 05:07 AM

People talking about defense and not mentioning Kuzma smh. Dude will be our best defender by all star break.

#76 RobBlake

RobBlake

Starter

• 4,431 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted July 12, 2017 - 05:33 AM

Noted for future reference
You out of your god dammed mind

yep. I'd all we get is bradly we will suck for a decade

ap1.png

#77 JGuez

JGuez

All-Star

• 6,007 posts

Posted July 12, 2017 - 05:45 AM

Great move! 

Actually think we have a shot @ the playoffs now. 

#78 JGuez

JGuez

All-Star

• 6,007 posts

Posted July 12, 2017 - 05:46 AM

I think the best we should hope for as of right now from the kid is that he has a similar impact that Young did on offense but giving us a lot more consistency on defense.  I think that's the best starting point to expect. Anything outside of that is gravy. 

Zo is great at pushing the ball in fast breaks, but fast breaks don't happen unless you have good defense. This legitimized our team this season IMO.

#79 LACAS

LACAS

Off The Bench

• 2,220 posts
  • Name:CAS

Posted July 12, 2017 - 05:53 AM

LN is happy once again, there is optimism regrading the FO and future, the sun is shining, love is in the air... welcome back.

Welcome to the Lakers KCP!

Ball

Pope

Ingram

Randle

Lopez

Edited by LACAS, July 12, 2017 - 05:58 AM.

• GCMD likes this

#80 LACAS

LACAS

Off The Bench

• 2,220 posts
  • Name:CAS

Posted July 12, 2017 - 06:03 AM

Love, exciting and new 
Come Aboard. We're expecting you. 
And Love, life's sweetest reward. 
Let it flow, it floats back to you. 

Love Boat soon will be making another run 
The Love Boat promises something for everyone 
Set a course for adventure, 
Your mind on a new romance. 

And Love won't hurt anymore 
It's an open smile on a friendly shore. 
Yes LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE! 

Welcome Aboard. It's LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE!

Welcome to the Lakers KCP! 

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Yahoo (1), Bing (1)