Photo

Lakers sign Kentavious Caldwell-Pope to one year deal

• Please log in to reply
193 replies to this topic

• 43,775 posts

Posted July 11, 2017 - 10:43 PM

D'Angelo Russell 2016/17
26.3% - Less than 10ft - 117/228 (51.3%)
26.1% - Pull Ups (2p) - 87/226 (38.5%)
22.1% - Catch and Shoot (3p) - 71/191 (37.2%)
21.4% - Pull Ups (3p) - 61/185 (33.0%)

Kentavious Caldewell-Pope 2016/17
20.6% - Less than 10ft - 99/191 (51.8%)
27.4% - Pull Ups (2p) - 94/253 (37.2%)
30.3% - Catch and Shoot (3p) - 103/280 (36.8%)
16.0% - Pull Ups (3p) - 47/148 (31.8%)

D'Angelo and KCP had similar efficiency last season on their shots. The main difference between them is how they shoot. KCP's bread and butter is catch-and-shoot 3s, while D'Angelo is more balanced on how he found scoring. I think with Ball playing next to KCP, the frequency of those catch-and-shoots will be way up for KCP. If he goes to basket more and reduces the pull up 2s, his efficiency should go up as well.

Great post all around. Crazy how close those numbers are. You just factor in KCP's clear and away advantage defensively as well as the athleticism and explosiveness aspect and he's by far the better player.
  • lakersince75 and Tensai like this

yo.

#42 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

Superstar

• 7,079 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted July 11, 2017 - 10:43 PM

Depends who they plan on signing.

They may want klay in 2019 who knows

Also if they love KCP and want cousins and George I actually think New Orleans would be willing to sign and trade

Don't you think New Orleans would rather put a few players around Davis than lose cousins for nothing

For example. I think New Orleans would make out like bandits nabbing Randle, clarkson, and nance for cousins. Then you stretch deng

Then I think you've cleared enough room

Yeah, but I feel like sign and trades are very difficult to pull off with the new CBA.

#43 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,736 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted July 11, 2017 - 10:48 PM

i wonder what his performance level would have to be for us to resign him

I think he has potential to break out and possibly even average 15ppg while playing very good defense

If that happens you can't let him walk right

If that happens you've gotta find another way to open space

Clarkson and nance come to mind.

If he does that, he's actually a perfect fit for this team as far as youth and talent.  If he can guard PGs and let Lonzo roam off ball while not being a ball stopper on the other end (which he isn't), he's worth that 20-22M range.

CJ McCollum comes to mind as far as market value range for KCP (at his best)...CJ makes around 23M/y...

CJ is a better scorer but KCP is a better athlete and defender IMHO.  Expect to pay around 90-100M/4yrs for KCP if he plays up to his potential.

Edited by GCMD, July 11, 2017 - 10:55 PM.

tenor.gif

#44 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,268 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 11, 2017 - 10:48 PM

The philosophy remains the same on free agents. They want the most money and the most winning and the best combination of both they can find.  

The Lakers will likely not be that destination at the end of this season, but that is not necessarily a bad thing, a 2nd year Lonzo or a 3rd year Ingram wouldn't be ready to shoulder the load of even being the 3rd or 4th best options on a championship roster at 18 and 19 anyway, nor should they be expected to.

To be honest extending Randle should he have a breakout season and re-signing KCP and Lopez wouldn't be a bad off-season at all in 2018 at this point.   Because then it's back to where it should be, it's about our young core growing and them having solid role players and vets around them as they grow till they're ready to actively contribute to consistent wins.  

Then at that point it's about being patient as the kids come into their own and then start leading us to wins and then once that happens you become a serious contender for free agents.  Which should be our approach in general.  Our fortunes on "max free agents" likely does not change unless we're winning games before they got here, and that's going to be on our young core to do, with vets and role players there to try to take them over the hump and add that extra kick.  So should it look like those 'max free agents' aren't coming, we can't dilly dally, and need to extend Randle and bring back KCP and Lopez.  So we can move forward with that core which will win games as Lonzo and Ingram come into their own and Randle continues to play well.   

Then be it a season or two later, we will be players in free agency. Because we'll be winning, and that's the best thing you can offer a max free agent aside from money, and many times the most important thing to include with money if you want their serious consideration. 

The realistic free agent target I see in 2018 isn't going to be LeBron and Paul George imo due to the above reasons of what max FAs want.  

So to me, our most likely free agent we've got a shot at.. is Avery Bradley.   But if we didn't get him, re-signing KCP would be a must. If he plays well this year especially. 

Edited by Majesty, July 11, 2017 - 10:55 PM.

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#45 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 3,357 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 11, 2017 - 10:58 PM

Nobody gonna thank Danny Ainge for sending Bradley to Detroit? Lol

• GCMD and LakerGeezer like this

#46 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,736 posts

Posted July 11, 2017 - 11:02 PM

Nobody gonna thank Danny Ainge for sending Bradley to Detroit? Lol

Ohhh...

I forgot about that!   LOL.  Thanks Aingey!!!!

• lakerfan98 likes this

tenor.gif

#47 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

• 3,357 posts

Posted July 11, 2017 - 11:10 PM

Seriously though this was a great signing especially this late in free agency.  Very fortunate.  Exact type of player we need just falls in our lap.  

Sucks we had to pay Deng all that damn money lol.  Bringing in 2 max players plus retaining Pope would be a hell of a lot easier without him.

If we're really gonna improve this year it's gotta start on the defensive end.  Pope is a great start.  Ingram one year older plus Hart and Nwaba.      

#48 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,736 posts

Posted July 11, 2017 - 11:34 PM

Honestly, I really hope Magic and Pelinka begin working the phone to find a way to deal Clarkson, Nance, Randle, and Deng.  Whether it's all in one package or pairing them up in 2 separate deals, try and get it done.

I have a feeling KCP has a strong outting this year and will be a guy that we may want to committ money too.

I don't think we will have a problem moving Nance or Randle...not a lot of money and good fits to some teams.

Clarkson will be a little harder but still very movable.

Deng?  I can't think of a situation where we move him without including Ball or Ingram.  Maybe if Randle has a good year, some team will want him but he'll likely be a free agent next offseason so they could get him without taking on Deng's contract.  Clarkson?  Not enough bang for your buck to take on Deng AND his (Clarkson's) contract.  Even if you combine Clarkson and Randle, I'm not sure that would be enough to get someone to take Deng's contract AND we'd have to take back around 35-40MILLION in trade unless the other team has cap space...and if they do, do they want to use it absorbing those contracts?

I hope I'm wrong but I think we got lucky getting rid of 1 contract (Moz) but I don't believe we will be fortunate to move the other.

tenor.gif

#49 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

Superstar

• 7,079 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted July 11, 2017 - 11:36 PM

I don't think we will have a problem moving Nance or Randle...not a lot of money and good fits to some teams.

Deng?  I can't think of a situation where we move him without including Ball or Ingram.  Maybe if Randle has a good year, some team will want him but he'll likely be a free agent next offseason so they could get him without taking on Deng's contract.  Clarkson?  Not enough bang for your buck to take on Deng AND his (Clarkson's) contract.  Even if you combine Clarkson and Randle, I'm not sure that would be enough to get someone to take Deng's contract AND we'd have to take back around 35-40MILLION in trade unless the other team has cap space...and if they do, do they want to use it absorbing those contracts?

I hope I'm wrong but I think we got lucky getting rid of 1 contract (Moz) but I don't believe we will be fortunate to move the other.

It sucks.. $16 million is nearly 1/5 of our salary cap space.  The money committed to Deng could have easily been used to sign a guy like KCP to a mutli-year deal.

• GCMD likes this

#50 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,736 posts

Posted July 11, 2017 - 11:39 PM

D'Angelo Russell 2016/17

26.3% - Less than 10ft - 117/228 (51.3%)

26.1% - Pull Ups (2p) - 87/226 (38.5%)

22.1% - Catch and Shoot (3p) - 71/191 (37.2%)

21.4% - Pull Ups (3p) - 61/185 (33.0%)

Kentavious Caldewell-Pope 2016/17

20.6% - Less than 10ft - 99/191 (51.8%)

27.4% - Pull Ups (2p) - 94/253 (37.2%)

30.3% - Catch and Shoot (3p) - 103/280 (36.8%)

16.0% - Pull Ups (3p) - 47/148 (31.8%)

D'Angelo and KCP had similar efficiency last season on their shots. The main difference between them is how they shoot. KCP's bread and butter is catch-and-shoot 3s, while D'Angelo is more balanced on how he found scoring. I think with Ball playing next to KCP, the frequency of those catch-and-shoots will be way up for KCP. If he goes to basket more and reduces the pull up 2s, his efficiency should go up as well.

Great post.  Really good numbers for KCP with defense and athleticism to boot.  Plays well off ball.  Actually a perfect fit.

In fact, we got KCP on a 1 year contract (18M) and making LESS (per year) than George Hill!!!  LOL (3yr/57M - around 19M/yr)

Another reason why patience is a virtue.

tenor.gif

#51 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,417 posts

Posted July 11, 2017 - 11:40 PM

Deng: Package with Nance and a future 1st in summer of 2018. IF that doesn't work, he can be stretched.

#52 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,736 posts

Posted July 11, 2017 - 11:40 PM

It sucks.. $16 million is nearly 1/5 of our salary cap space.  The money committed to Deng could have easily been used to sign a guy like KCP to a mutli-year deal.

YESSSSSSS!!!!!!

I'm actually more upset about this contract NOW than I was back when it was signed!!!!!   LOL...but spilt milk, water under the bridge...

• LACAS likes this

tenor.gif

#53 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,736 posts

Posted July 11, 2017 - 11:44 PM

Deng: Package with Nance and a future 1st in summer of 2018. IF that doesn't work, he can be stretched.

I hope you're right...I don't think that's enough.  Deng will still be owed 36.8MILLION over 2 years...at age 33-34...he's not worth that amount over the next 5 years and Nance will be a RFA next summer...

tenor.gif

#54 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 8,165 posts

Posted July 11, 2017 - 11:46 PM

The possibility of bringing 2-max free agents are slim - not none, but slim. Before that, we need to fix the team first. The marquee free agents won't look at joining our team if we rank dead last on defense again, which brings to my point. If KCP and Ingram can fix our defensive problems on the wing, I see no scenario where we break up that duo. Considerable amount of people wanted Josh Jackson for that reason and I think the FO were intrigued for his potential on defensive end. I think whatever plan we are doing now, come next June things will be that much different.

The core of Ball / KCP / Ingram is great to think about on paper. But it will need to translate to performance and wins.

• LakerGeezer likes this

fXlFKv8.gif

#55 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

• 3,357 posts

Posted July 11, 2017 - 11:50 PM

Deng, Randle, Nance, 2020 pick to the Bulls for Wade.  

Clarkson and second rounder to the Jazz for Joe Johnson. 

All of the cap space muahahaha...... 

Edited by lakerfan98, July 11, 2017 - 11:53 PM.

#56 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,417 posts

Posted July 11, 2017 - 11:54 PM

Deng, Randle, Nance, 2020 pick to the Bulls for Wade.  

Clarkson and second rounder to the Jazz for Joe Johnson. 

All of the cap space bwahahaha...... 

I'd say:

Deng, Randle OR Nance OR Zubac, 2020 pick (top 10, then top 5, then top 3, then two 2nd rounders) to the Bulls for Wade. Bulls fans love Deng and are rebuilding so there is no reason not to try and pull off a move like this.

Clarkson and second rounder to the Jazz for Joe Johnson. Done.

Lonzo - Wade - KCP - Ingram - Lopez

#57 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,268 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 11, 2017 - 11:56 PM

Or you could just stand pat and wait till a max free agent actually commits to you before you think about freeing up anymore cap a season in advance... 

just a suggestion. 

:mellow:

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#58 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,736 posts

Posted July 11, 2017 - 11:58 PM

Seriously though this was a great signing especially this late in free agency.  Very fortunate.  Exact type of player we need just falls in our lap.  

Sucks we had to pay Deng all that damn money lol.  Bringing in 2 max players plus retaining Pope would be a hell of a lot easier without him.

If we're really gonna improve this year it's gotta start on the defensive end.  Pope is a great start.  Ingram one year older plus Hart and Nwaba.      

Technically, if we move Clarkson (12.5)/Nance (2.3) for nothing and let Randle (5.6) and Lopez (22.6) walk, we clear around 20M without trading Deng.  That will take us down to around 60-65M in cap space.  Stretch Deng to open up more.  Possible to have around 70-75M without really crazy moves.  If we didn't have Deng, we'd be in the 80M range for cap space next year with minor moves...that hurts.

tenor.gif

#59 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

• 3,357 posts

Posted July 11, 2017 - 11:58 PM

I'd say:

Deng, Randle OR Nance OR Zubac, 2020 pick (top 10, then top 5, then top 3, then two 2nd rounders) to the Bulls for Wade. Bulls fans love Deng and are rebuilding so there is no reason not to try and pull off a move like this.

Clarkson and second rounder to the Jazz for Joe Johnson. Done.

Lonzo - Wade - KCP - Ingram - Lopez

I think it's more likely Wade and Joe Johnson get bought out I was just goofing.

Bulls just draft Markkanen doubt they'd even want Randle esp. having to take on Deng and then pay Randle next summer.  

#60 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,417 posts

Posted July 11, 2017 - 11:59 PM

Or you could just stand pat and wait till a max free agent actually commits to you before you think about freeing up anymore cap a season in advance...

just a suggestion.

:mellow:

What do you think the price will be if we are desperate for the cap space?

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users