Photo

Paul George traded to OKC

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#21 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted June 30, 2017 - 11:17 PM

What a turd package. Especially if they wanted Ingram and Ball.

It just means like we thought.  

Indiana wasn't trading George to us unless we gutted the roster, thus opening up the possibility of him leaving us in the off-season while Indiana plays with all the depth we gave them.  

That's one of the reasons I severely did not want us to obtain George in a trade, because it would mean we gave Indiana everything they asked for, which would have crippled our franchise for a long while if/when he left. 

Best case scenario.  He's somewhere else, and it's not a team that has a chance at being the 1st in the conference or being a finals contender.   It's a good enough team to be a winner, but the predicament is 'iffy' enough to question how the dynamic will work with him and Russ. 

• Busty Bluth likes this

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#22 BleedPurple&Gold

BleedPurple&Gold

Superstar

• 7,230 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic

Posted June 30, 2017 - 11:24 PM

I still believe we have a good chance of signing PG next season

#23 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 10,154 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted July 01, 2017 - 12:51 AM

If you call losing Andrew Bynum and a some draft picks "gutting their team" you're quite the NBA historian there ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ya. Look at the Lakers win-loss record since the DH aquistion then come back at me. We're lucky that we're not the Brooklyn Nets at this point.

#24 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts

Posted July 01, 2017 - 01:05 AM

if George leaves Westbrook this off-season it will reflect extremely badly on Westbrook's leadership and the ability to play with him and suddenly all eyes will be on him for why his basketball relationship with KD ended among other things. 

• Busty Bluth likes this

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#25 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• Site Admin
  • 15,336 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 01, 2017 - 01:20 AM

We have to stop calling out duos/trios and assuming that they won't be able to take enough shots together.  Haven't we learned that's usually not the case?

I mean, seriously, I've never heard people call a 10+ assist player selfish in my life until now.

• bfc1125roy and Majesty like this

#26 Tensai

Tensai

Superstar

• 8,197 posts

Posted July 01, 2017 - 05:41 AM

> If Westbrook does not share the rock in last second of a game, George will bolt. Yada, yada.

ITT: People are thinking Westrook gives a [expletive] about George's feelings.

He carried that 20-win roster to 47 wins and won the MVP for a reason. He is a (much) bigger star than PG is or will ever be. And he is by far the most motivated player on earth. Silly things like pecking order or whatnot does not faze him. He wants to win and he is gonna do whatever it takes to win. Nothing will change that.

• Busty Bluth and Jackson like this

fXlFKv8.gif

#27 KobeWillReturnTriumphant

KobeWillReturnTriumphant

TEIAM

• 2,438 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic/Kobe/Tony Smith

Posted July 01, 2017 - 07:06 AM

if George leaves Westbrook this off-season it will reflect extremely badly on Westbrook's leadership and the ability to play with him and suddenly all eyes will be on him for why his basketball relationship with KD ended among other things. 

Not necessarily.  What if PG just doesn't want to play in OKC?    If he truly wants to be a Laker, then him leaving a team that holds him captive isn't a reflection on Westbrook.

#28 manaro90

manaro90

Starter

• 5,212 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 01, 2017 - 08:45 AM

I still believe we have a good chance of signing PG next season

hopefuilly

but if the thunder just achieve the 2nd round of the playoffs and hopefully westbrook and george doesnt fit good together, well than in that case we could be the lucky winners in 2018

Cologne, Germany Baby! LAKERS FOR LIFE.  |   Add me Instagram: princealaddin90

#29 DTIII™

DTIII™

"I am one with the force, the force is with me."

• 5,759 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Julius, D'Angelo & Jordan

Posted July 01, 2017 - 10:58 AM

DDq85bjW0AIjKBV.jpg

• Busty Bluth likes this

EyMlHkX.jpg

#30 RobBlake

RobBlake

Starter

• 4,431 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted July 01, 2017 - 11:49 AM

There goes Paul lol next star we gonna lose?

ap1.png

#31 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 10,154 posts

Posted July 01, 2017 - 02:12 PM

> If Westbrook does not share the rock in last second of a game, George will bolt. Yada, yada.

ITT: People are thinking Westrook gives a [expletive] about George's feelings.

He carried that 20-win roster to 47 wins and won the MVP for a reason. He is a (much) bigger star than PG is or will ever be. And he is by far the most motivated player on earth. Silly things like pecking order or whatnot does not faze him. He wants to win and he is gonna do whatever it takes to win. Nothing will change that.

And I'm sure with Durant gone he realized he needs help in this superstar-wins-all league if he wants to make it far. So it's far likely than not that he will make it work with George.

#32 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 2,715 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted July 01, 2017 - 06:55 PM

Well glad Prichard is not wise being polite here first time, lol, I'd would have taken the 3 first rounders and Smart/Crowder over OKC's deal glad he's a Bozo. Let's see where Swaggy goes

#33 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 2,715 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted July 01, 2017 - 06:59 PM

C'mon Rob Blake we didn't lose anyone, you play the hand out, if he doesn't come as FA then he probably wouldn't have signed so this way costs you zero and you build team regardless

Edited by DaSmoothOperator, July 01, 2017 - 06:59 PM.

#34 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Starter

• 5,159 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted July 02, 2017 - 06:25 AM

George will leave next off season. People are saying we are gonna suck so why would George want to leave OKC? He will leave because they will get smashed in the playoffs, probably 2nd round. Being on a team that has no true shot of winning vs. being on a team like ours that sucks, but that is where he feels connected and wants to play, I think the ladder wins. The fear we all had was PG would go to a team that had a legit shot of winning the chip, OKC isn't that. He will play a year out there and either head to us or a top contender. Either way we are in no worse off position than we were a week ago in terms of him landing here. 

Edited by PhillyLaker24, July 02, 2017 - 06:25 AM.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#35 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts

Posted July 02, 2017 - 08:44 AM

I doubt Paul George would leave a team that gets beat in the playoffs for a team that isn't making the playoffs. 

If anything he'd go to a team that has a better chance in the playoffs but can still create the space to max him. Such as a Houston, Portland or San Antonio.  Whom will all be pursuing him.   I doubt he says no to those three and yes to the Lakers.    If he was 24 maybe, but he'll be 28-29 and nearing the end of his prime, he doesn't have the time to wait 3-4 seasons on us.  

• Busty Bluth likes this

#36 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Starter

• 5,159 posts

Posted July 02, 2017 - 09:50 AM

I doubt Paul George would leave a team that gets beat in the playoffs for a team that isn't making the playoffs. 

If anything he'd go to a team that has a better chance in the playoffs but can still create the space to max him. Such as a Houston, Portland or San Antonio.  Whom will all be pursuing him.   I doubt he says no to those three and yes to the Lakers.    If he was 24 maybe, but he'll be 28-29 and nearing the end of his prime, he doesn't have the time to wait 3-4 seasons on us.  

You've been down on George coming here for a while. Even though all year report after report says he WANTS to play here. This came out when we were awful and showed no signs of improvement. Some players care about things other than just going to an already stacked team to win. Look at Blake, he just took the money to stay on a team that has no shot. Melo did the same thing years ago. The knicks had no chance close to the bulls to contend against lebron, but Melo WANTED to stay in NY and took the money. How is that different from our situation? Please do not get in the semantics of the power in the east. The truth is Lebron was looking down at everyone from up top and only Melo to the bulls had a chance to contend. Yet, a player chose to take money and stay where he WANTED to even though he had NO shot to compete. Melo was also older at the time.

Some want money, some want rings, so why is it hard to believe some want to be the top dog in the city they love? I understand in the past we have been burned by sticking on the hope that LA draws people. However, this is completely different. PG13 has told many (based on reports) that he WANTS to be here. We have sucked for the past few years, but yet report after report he wants to be here. In the prior years the pipe dream was people will want to be in LA because its LA and that will draw them. The difference is in we know PG13 WANTS to be in LA. Wanting to be in LA is much different than us hoping LA draws uninterested parties here. 

There is no difference between having 30 wins or losing in the 2nd round in the current set up of the nba. If you are losing in the 2nd round of the playoffs that means you have no real shot against the top dogs. The difference between the top teams in the conference and the lower seeds is negligible for those that don't make it because neither squad has a chance against the top seed. Add in that sucking and having cap space is actually more enticing than having money tied up and still being a few pieces away right now. GS is way up at the top. A few notches down is the spurs and then the cavs. If you aren't on one of those squads there is no difference between being a 3rd seed or 15th.

Based on your assessment we never had a shot at PG13, even if we traded he would dash. So until we draft gems and let them grow for 3 years we have no shot at any free agent, not even those that allegedly WANT to be here. Why make any deal then? Unless our young players become studs we have no chance to get any worthwhile FA according to your logic. Might as well ask management to sit on their hands and we just pray our top picks become the next best thing. 

Edited by PhillyLaker24, July 02, 2017 - 10:07 AM.

• bfc1125roy and Xinxin like this

#37 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts

Posted July 02, 2017 - 11:26 AM

Based on your assessment we never had a shot at PG13, even if we traded he would dash. So until we draft gems and let them grow for 3 years we have no shot at any free agent, not even those that allegedly WANT to be here. Why make any deal then? Unless our young players become studs we have no chance to get any worthwhile FA according to your logic. Might as well ask management to sit on their hands and we just pray our top picks become the next best thing. 

That's how it is for a team in our situation.  

I guess that we'll ultimately see how George's Lakers love holds up next off-season when San Antonio, Boston, Houston, Portland, and OKC are also going after him.  

• Busty Bluth likes this

#38 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Starter

• 5,159 posts

Posted July 02, 2017 - 11:40 AM

That's how it is for a team in our situation.  

I guess that we'll ultimately see how George's Lakers love holds up next off-season when San Antonio, Boston, Houston, Portland, and OKC are also going after him.  

Did he not know those teams would be in the association when he told other in 2018 he was coming to our crappy team? Unless Ball is an all star next year we are set to be doomed until 2025 by your estimation. 

Edited by PhillyLaker24, July 02, 2017 - 11:42 AM.

#39 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 10,154 posts

Posted July 02, 2017 - 12:55 PM

Did he not know those teams would be in the association when he told other in 2018 he was coming to our crappy team? Unless Ball is an all star next year we are set to be doomed until 2025 by your estimation. 

If George does not come here next season we'll be screwed for a long time.

• Majesty likes this

• 43,794 posts

Posted July 02, 2017 - 01:01 PM

Bottomline PG is no KD. They won't go as far as RW & KD together were able to go.
  • PhillyLaker24 likes this

yo.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users