ap1.png

#62 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 8,106 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted July 04, 2017 - 01:29 PM

The thing about it is, it took Ingram half a season of the NBA to do things that Tatum is already doing in summer league

• Jackson likes this

#63 Magic Bryant

Magic Bryant

Rookie

• 91 posts
  • Fan Since:birth
  • Fav. Laker:Sedale Threatt

Posted July 04, 2017 - 01:49 PM

Its not about stats, its the eye test. Tatum and Fultz just look the part. Highly skilled and naturally gifted. They past the eye test in terms of how easy they make the game look. How effortless they score the ball. I want to see Ball in those terms. Not scoring wise but just the feel of the game and how he runs the team. He better past the eye test is all I'm saying...

#64 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 10,136 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted July 04, 2017 - 01:50 PM

LOL.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

#65 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 10,136 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted July 04, 2017 - 01:51 PM

Summer league doesn't mean much. I remember a Johnny Flynn tearing apart the summer league.

#66 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 04, 2017 - 02:01 PM

Summer league doesn't mean much. I remember a Johnny Flynn tearing apart the summer league.

I don't look at it from a competition standpoint of 'look at him dropping 20-30 points'.  

I am looking at the moves he makes, the step back jumpers, the pull ups from mid, the over and unders, the ease he gets off one foot and finishes in traffic.  Tatum just wasn't doing that in summer league, he was doing that at Duke as well all except him getting off one foot to finish in traffic, that's shown itself after an off-season of work on his explosiveness.  Ingram didn't have all that in his game at Duke, and he didn't show it in Summer League.  

It came to him after half a season of them working on him and his body and he started getting used to going off one leg about halfway through the season and then we watched it continue to build till he was doing it with ease at the end of the season.  We also saw his hesitation dribble mid range halfway through the season as well.    He wasn't showing that at Duke or Summer League, it was one of the things I cited, and early in the NBA season he lacked so much confidence in it that he would dribble into the teeth of the defense even if they left him wide open from mid because he lacked confidence in himself pulling from mid.   Often that hesitation is what allowed guys to close out on him faster.   Ingram had that issue both at Duke, and Summer League because his offensive game really wasn't that advanced.   

If you need more, go watch Ingram's Duke season and count how many step backs, off the dribble pull ups, and advanced moves from the post he did, you won't find many.  You'll find plenty from Tatum.  It just shows itself in Summer League.  Ingram faced the same kind of competition in Summer League and didn't show those moves, frankly because he didn't have them and didn't develop the semblance of them till part of the way through his rookie season.  

So I don't look at it as "I'm impressed cause he can drop 30 in Summer League" with Tatum, that stuff doesn't matter in Summer League, I'm just looking at the moves he brings and advanced offensive skillsets he has that Ingram didn't at the same time through college and his first taste of professional ball.    

Hope that simplifies it a bit.   

I want Ingram to come out and show the leap against Summer League competition that Giannis showed his 2nd year where you could see what was developing and what more he brought to the table outside of dunking.   I want Ingram to dominate and make that kind of a leap and look even better.  That's what I'm hoping for. 

Edited by Majesty, July 04, 2017 - 02:04 PM.

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#67 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,529 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted July 04, 2017 - 02:23 PM

Everybody just stop.

None of this matters.

Let's go back to Kobe rookie class and the year before and the year after.

KG Iverson Timmy Kobe Ray Allen Steve Nash Marbury

Iverson and Marbury started the strongest. Had the least productive careers of them all.

Edited by BasketballIQ, July 04, 2017 - 02:23 PM.

#68 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 8,106 posts

Posted July 04, 2017 - 02:36 PM

Everybody just stop.

None of this matters.

Let's go back to Kobe rookie class and the year before and the year after.

KG Iverson Timmy Kobe Ray Allen Steve Nash Marbury

Iverson and Marbury started the strongest. Had the least productive careers of them all.

Ray Allen over Iverson? What you smokin?

He's easily up there with Nash and KG. He was more popular than both of those guys and had more hall of fame caliber seasons than Nash.

Edited by kidpolean, July 04, 2017 - 02:39 PM.

#69 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,529 posts

Posted July 04, 2017 - 04:26 PM

Iverson dominated as a little man. But his 10 year run as the guy vs Ray and Nash who had maybe 5 years as the guy and 12 more as a credible threat

#70 Klewfish

Klewfish

Reppin' LA on the East Coast

• 2,196 posts
  • Name:Chris
  • Fan Since:Game 4 of 2000 NBA Finals

Posted July 04, 2017 - 04:29 PM

To be fair Jonny's career was derailed by injuries. He put up 13.5ppg/4.4apg as a rookie with 36% 3PT shooting.

• Majesty likes this
Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.

#71 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 8,106 posts

Posted July 04, 2017 - 04:46 PM

Iverson dominated as a little man. But his 10 year run as the guy vs Ray and Nash who had maybe 5 years as the guy and 12 more as a credible threat

What? At no point in their prime was Ray ever considered better than Iverson. He simply became a quality role player which Iverson wasnt able to do.

Nash is arguable because of the MVP's and his years in Phoenix. However, Iverson still had a greater impact on the NBA by far imo and at his very best was likely still considered better than Nash.

Iverson is legit one of the most dangerous offensive players in the history of the game

Edited by kidpolean, July 04, 2017 - 04:49 PM.

#72 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,040 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted July 04, 2017 - 05:21 PM

All i can say about AI and Nash, is when they were both peak of career, there werent any other opposing guards during that period of time i enjoyed watching us compete against more.

Not Kidd, not anyone

• kidpolean likes this

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#73 MaceWindu

MaceWindu

Starter

• 4,548 posts
  • Fan Since:Hector was a pup
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted July 04, 2017 - 05:40 PM

this is 48 hours away folks!!!

• 43,794 posts

Posted July 04, 2017 - 05:48 PM

This might be the most hyped Laker game in quite a while and it's a summer league game no less.

yo.

#75 kray28

kray28

Off The Bench

• 2,512 posts
  • Fan Since:1988
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 04, 2017 - 06:59 PM

Summer League does tell you something though. Anecdotally, I remember Kobe tore up Summer League. He turned out pretty good. Russell on the other hand, but mediocre to poor in his first Summer League. It alarmed a lot of fans (including myself), but we were told the same story about Summer League not mattering, and Russell just needing better teammates to thrive. But his inefficient and turnover prone play hinted at some very real struggles and inconsistencies that he had.

• GCMD and MaceWindu like this

livin' in a river of darkness beneath the neon lights

pkray.png

#76 kray28

kray28

Off The Bench

• 2,512 posts
  • Fan Since:1988
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 04, 2017 - 07:01 PM

This might be the most hyped Laker game in quite a while and it's a summer league game no less.

Last year it was Ingram vs.Simmons, which somehow devolved into Russell vs. TJ McConnell.(It was an exciting game though...I enjoyed it)

livin' in a river of darkness beneath the neon lights

pkray.png

#77 MaceWindu

MaceWindu

Starter

• 4,548 posts
  • Fan Since:Hector was a pup
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted July 04, 2017 - 07:07 PM

Summer League does tell you something though. Anecdotally, I remember Kobe tore up Summer League. He turned out pretty good. Russell on the other hand, but mediocre to poor in his first Summer League. It alarmed a lot of fans (including myself), but we were told the same story about Summer League not mattering, and Russell just needing better teammates to thrive. But his inefficient and turnover prone play hinted at some very real struggles and inconsistencies that he had.

I remember his first assists. Then it went all down hill from there.

• kray28 likes this

#78 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,529 posts

Posted July 04, 2017 - 07:40 PM

What? At no point in their prime was Ray ever considered better than Iverson. He simply became a quality role player which Iverson wasnt able to do.

Nash is arguable because of the MVP's and his years in Phoenix. However, Iverson still had a greater impact on the NBA by far imo and at his very best was likely still considered better than Nash.

Iverson is legit one of the most dangerous offensive players in the history of the game

I said that. Ray was able to win rings playing a role. Iverson couldn't do that.

Nash didnt do it but had as much individual success in terms of individual accolades plus more longetivity.

#79 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,529 posts

Posted July 04, 2017 - 07:41 PM

Meh. Mudiay had a good showing early and he won't be in the league soon. So....

#80 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 8,106 posts

Posted July 04, 2017 - 08:15 PM

I said that. Ray was able to win rings playing a role. Iverson couldn't do that.
Nash didnt do it but had as much individual success in terms of individual accolades plus more longetivity.

Dude Iverson was better than or on par with everyone on that list except Kobe and Duncan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users