Photo

2017 Summer League

• Please log in to reply
718 replies to this topic

#41 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,335 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 03, 2017 - 06:32 PM

Jayson Tatum's gonna be special 

I remember this kid way back early in high school when they asked where he thought he'd be in a few years and he said hopefully playing for the Lakers.   Kid's a special talent, Boston got a steal and that's saying something considering he was the 3rd pick, but the kid is a steal.  Got all the tools, and already got the offensive game and athleticism, at this point it's all about his body filling out, he's gonna be scary.   Him getting to the point he's going off one foot much easier than he did at Duke with more explosiveness is gonna help him. 

Edited by Majesty, July 03, 2017 - 06:37 PM.

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#42 Magic Bryant

Magic Bryant

Rookie

• 91 posts
  • Fan Since:birth
  • Fav. Laker:Sedale Threatt

Posted July 04, 2017 - 05:12 AM

Ball better ball because Tatum is the guy I wanted us to take@2 and he looks like the real deal already. Fultz was very impressive also. I understand its summer league but you could see the talent and potential in both Fultz and Tatum. Aside from maybe Brown, they were clearly the two best players on the court.

Edited by Magic Bryant, July 04, 2017 - 05:15 AM.

#43 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,288 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 04, 2017 - 07:52 AM

Tatum did a lot of scoring but that's what he does.  I think people are going to miss the mark with Ball unless he comes out there dropping 20-25 a game in SL.  He's a ball mover.  He makes the other guys better in a sense.  Im looking for him to connect on open 3s, see if he can create off the dribble and get others involved.  

• dlaluan, MaceWindu and LACAS like this

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#44 LACAS

LACAS

Off The Bench

• 2,398 posts
  • Name:CAS
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic-Kobe or Kobe-Magic

Posted July 04, 2017 - 08:21 AM

Tatum did a lot of scoring but that's what he does.  I think people are going to miss the mark with Ball unless he comes out there dropping 20-25 a game in SL.  He's a ball mover.  He makes the other guys better in a sense.  Im looking for him to connect on open 3s, see if he can create off the dribble and get others involved.  

Exactly my thoughts... if Ball doesn't come out of the gates dropping 20+ppg he's going to be labeled a "bust" by the fan-atics.

#45 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,537 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted July 04, 2017 - 08:31 AM

Hope he's a lot better than BI was.

That was awful thinking back and a precursor to early season performance.

I'd like to see Ball get close to a double double in one of the first 3 games.

That would be a better sign than a scoring burst of 20-25 imo

Ingram i'm fine going off for 25+

That would be so encouraging

Edited by kball, July 04, 2017 - 08:32 AM.

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#46 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,537 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted July 04, 2017 - 08:34 AM

Jayson Tatum's gonna be special 

I remember this kid way back early in high school when they asked where he thought he'd be in a few years and he said hopefully playing for the Lakers.   Kid's a special talent, Boston got a steal and that's saying something considering he was the 3rd pick, but the kid is a steal.  Got all the tools, and already got the offensive game and athleticism, at this point it's all about his body filling out, he's gonna be scary.   Him getting to the point he's going off one foot much easier than he did at Duke with more explosiveness is gonna help him. 

Pretty sure i saw a quote a day after the draft (think from Ainge) who "claimed" they would have chosen him at the #1.

If thats true, wow did they make another sweet deal

(those Aholes)

Edited by kball, July 04, 2017 - 08:36 AM.

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#47 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Hall Of Fame

• 9,794 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 04, 2017 - 09:33 AM

If Brandon Ingram doesn't dominate Summer League...we should be worried lol. 

Jaylen Brown looked like LeBron out there. 

#48 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 26,345 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted July 04, 2017 - 10:09 AM

Jaylen Brown looked like LeBron out there. 

Ill be pretty worried. Lakers seem to be hyping him up big time this season so if he falls flat then what does that mean for their future plans.

• Clutch Factor likes this

• 43,917 posts

Posted July 04, 2017 - 10:54 AM

TJ Leaf has looked awesome. Looking forward to another impressive game from him coming up.

Shame Malik Monk hasn't played at all because of a lame sprained ankle.

yo.

#50 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 27,547 posts
  • Name:Byron "Buster AKA Busty" Bluth

Posted July 04, 2017 - 11:05 AM

Dammit Why you even ask that, it'll be [expletive]ing terrible. Positive vibes for summer league only. Let's win the thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Majesty, Clutch Factor and Olabebeh like this

#51 lakersince75

lakersince75

Sixth Man

• 3,157 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted July 04, 2017 - 12:24 PM

The #1 pick looked like the #1 pick. The #3 pick looked like the #3 pick. With Zu and BI on your squad, just look like the #2 pick. 10 points13 assist 

Edited by lakersince75, July 04, 2017 - 12:25 PM.

#52 Artest37

Artest37

Rookie

• 761 posts
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Lonzo Ball BBB!

Posted July 04, 2017 - 12:41 PM

The #1 pick looked like the #1 pick. The #3 pick looked like the #3 pick. With Zu and BI on your squad, just look like the #2 pick. 10 points13 assist 

12 apg is a tall order for summer league. Lots of bricks go up and some players are literally playing for their (career) lives so try to showcase themselves vs playing any type of team game.

I think a more realistic line would be 10 ppg 5apg 4rpg , in any case there will inevitably be those calling him a bust tempered by others saying "It summer league man!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Twitter : @_PurpleReign_

Posted Image

#53 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 23,788 posts

Posted July 04, 2017 - 01:02 PM

I just want lonzo to pass the eye test. Idc about stats

For example. Fultz vs Tatum

This is no indication of their futures but Tatum to me looked much better than fultz in that game

Stats would say they were around the same but the eye test says differently. The game looked easier for Tatum and he looked just more impressive
  •     and Majesty like this
Posted Image

#54 lakersince75

lakersince75

Sixth Man

• 3,157 posts

Posted July 04, 2017 - 01:08 PM

12 apg is a tall order for summer league. Lots of bricks go up and some players are literally playing for their (career) lives so try to showcase themselves vs playing any type of team game.

I think a more realistic line would be 10 ppg 5apg 4rpg , in any case there will inevitably be those calling him a bust tempered by others saying "It summer league man!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I didn't have BI and Zu on the squad, I would agree. But I can see 6 ast to Ingram alone

#55 lakersince75

lakersince75

Sixth Man

• 3,157 posts

Posted July 04, 2017 - 01:10 PM

I just want lonzo to pass the eye test. Idc about stats

For example. Fultz vs Tatum

This is no indication of their futures but Tatum to me looked much better than fultz in that game

Stats would say they were around the same but the eye test says differently. The game looked easier for Tatum and he looked just more impressive

I think Fultz looked very professional and poised. That's scary

#56 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,335 posts

Posted July 04, 2017 - 01:18 PM

Tatum coming out of Duke was/is a better prospect than Ingram.  You can see it with the ease his offensive game comes to him.  If Ingram was that advanced coming out of Duke we'd be doing backflips. 

But it isn't just Tatum's offensive game, it's the athleticism, defensive mentality and poise with which he plays. 

My one knock on him outside of his tendencies to go into offensive mode (ala JC) was the difficulty he had going off one leg in traffic and finishing, which was an advantage Josh Jackson had on him. 

But he went out and got amoila cesar, Jules trainer in the off-season and you can already see the benefits.  In that summer league game he was going off one foot in traffic and dunking like nobodies business.  That's scary.. for a kid that's probably gonna be around 6'10 when all is said and done when you consider the offensive game he already possesses.   

The Celtics got themselves a gem.  

To me all eyes really shouldn't be all on Lonzo in the first summer league game, but Ingram.  He needs to go out there and dominate better than Brown did yesterday(Brown had a lot of TOs etc).   Ingram's the guy whose advancement we need to see, more so than Lonzo's. I'm not worried about that. 

• lakersince75 likes this

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#57 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 23,788 posts

Posted July 04, 2017 - 01:19 PM

I think Fultz looked very professional and poised. That's scary

I actually think he looked like he was forcing the issue to score moreso than Tatum who looked like he had total command of the floor and did everything within the flow of the offense until the end when he buried a game winner

But again fultz may be a superstar. I'm just saying in summer league the eye test is #1

Same thing in a rookie season

The reason Ingram is praised is because his eye test post all star break showed something special.
Posted Image

#58 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 23,788 posts

Posted July 04, 2017 - 01:21 PM

Tatum coming out of Duke was/is a better prospect than Ingram. You can see it with the ease his offensive game comes to him. If Ingram was that advanced coming out of Duke we'd be doing backflips.

But it isn't just Tatum's offensive game, it's the athleticism, defensive mentality and poise with which he plays.

My one knock on him outside of his tendencies to go into offensive mode (ala JC) was the difficulty he had going off one leg in traffic and finishing, which was an advantage Josh Jackson had on him.

But he went out and got amoila cesar, Jules trainer in the off-season and you can already see the benefits. In that summer league game he was going off one foot in traffic and dunking like nobodies business. That's scary.. for a kid that's probably gonna be around 6'10 when all is said and done when you consider the offensive game he already possesses.
The Celtics got themselves a gem.

To me all eyes really shouldn't be all on Lonzo in the first summer league game, but Ingram. He needs to go out there and dominate better than Brown did yesterday(Brown had a lot of TOs etc). Ingram's the guy whose advancement we need to see, more so than Lonzo's. I'm not worried about that.

I don't see Tatum as the physical prospect Ingram was. But I'll agree he's got offensive skill

But I like Ingram and what he showed in the 2nd half of last season
Posted Image

#59 KidRN

KidRN

Hall Of Fame

• 8,456 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted July 04, 2017 - 01:21 PM

Tatum coming out of Duke was/is a better prospect than Ingram

Only person in the history of the world to make this claim! Dude wasn't even a clear cut top 3 pick in this draft. There were mocks that had him going 5th.

#60 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,335 posts

Posted July 04, 2017 - 01:23 PM

I don't see Tatum as the physical prospect Ingram was. But I'll agree he's got offensive skill

But I like Ingram and what he showed in the 2nd half of last season

I do too.  

The thing about it is, it took Ingram half a season of the NBA to do things that Tatum is already doing in summer league.   That's the scary thing about Tatum. 

However what Ingram showed in the 2nd half of the season was a good mid range and an 'unstoppable' quality once he got the step on you to go to the basket and use his length at the rim.  was great to see.  Wanna see him continue to build on that and dominate summer league. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users