7 replies to this topic

#1 kray28

kray28

Off The Bench

• 2,435 posts
  • Fan Since:1988
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 24, 2017 - 05:57 AM

I went to see Transformers: The Last Knight with my kids last night. Just did 2D because 3D makes my eyes bleed, wears off after 15 minutes, and adds basically nothing to a film.

Quick Review: If you thought the previous 4 TF movies were lacking, installment #5 (TLK) will probably surmount that disappointment. Just from a shallow "popcorn flick" POV, it has less action, a slower pace and more crappy dialogue than #4 (AoE) did. To its credit, it does delve into some new ideas and retcons in some key plot ideas borrowed from a mish-mash of TF lore (G1, comics,  original TTFTM, and Transformers: Prime. But the ham-fisted execution, anemic plotting, uninteresting characters, boring dialogue, and the excessive amount of time spent with the humans just drags it to a level of going through the motions mediocrity that had me looking at my cell phone clock about 20 minutes into this two and a half hour motion picture. While some plot elements are explained as continuations from the previous film, others are completely haphazard and presented with no explanation whatsoever. For example, what happened to Galvatron (from AoE) and how did Megatron suddenly get resurrected? Not explained. Where did the baby Dinobots come from?  Who gave birth to them? Seriously. They just show up and are there for a few minutes, and then never reappear. Too many elements and many characters are presented with no purpose other than to consume screen real estate and time. TLK is a classic case of doing very little when presented with too much. But then that is essentially the Michael Bay credo.

Should you go see this film? If you've got nothing better to do and that $12 is burning a hole in your pocket....sure why not? But for me, I went to see it because I want to at least indirectly support the franchise while holding out some faint hope that if there is continued interest, someday in the future, they will make a movie that is actually good. That did not happen again this time, which is unfortunate but totally expected.

Full disclosure:  I consider myself a diehard "geewun" fan and I still actively collect TFs. All of these Bay films are pretty silly and quite lacking IMO. But I try to present a neutral review here. 

livin' in a river of darkness beneath the neon lights

pkray.png

#2 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 3,357 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 24, 2017 - 10:40 AM

I've only seen the first Transformers movie and everyone I know says that was a great point to stop haha.  Don't have kids so didn't have to suffer through the rest of them.  

#3 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 12,677 posts
  • Fan Since:Late '80s

Posted June 24, 2017 - 02:35 PM

as a G1 fanboy, stopped watching these a few movies back...always ended up disappointed. i still think the animated 80s movie is better than anything since.

on a side note, i see you say you collect, do you have any masterpiece figures? i love those things, some of the best toys ever made...takes an enormous restraint on my part not to buy like 20 of them at a time...collecting slowly
  • kray28 likes this

Posted Image

#4 kray28

kray28

Off The Bench

• 2,435 posts

Posted June 24, 2017 - 10:02 PM

as a G1 fanboy, stopped watching these a few movies back...always ended up disappointed. i still think the animated 80s movie is better than anything since.

on a side note, i see you say you collect, do you have any masterpiece figures? i love those things, some of the best toys ever made...takes an enormous restraint on my part not to buy like 20 of them at a time...collecting slowly

I have a few Masterpiece figures: MP-01 and MP-10 Optimus Prime, MP-05 Megatron, also Prowl, Sideswipe, Wheeljack, Tracks, Hot Rod, and also Thundercracker. Lately, I've been buying a lot of the Combiner Wars and Titans Return stuff.

• Game likes this

pkray.png

#5 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 12,677 posts

Posted June 25, 2017 - 05:55 AM

awesome, I'm a decepticon guy, and starscream is my favorite character (weird I know) so I have MP-03 and MP-11, also the robot masters versions of starscream, thundercracker, and skywarp, and another set of those 3 from takara transformers united series...also masterpiece soundwave with ravage, laserbeak, buzzsaw, rumble and frenzy...might grab some autobots eventuality but really want MP-36 Megatron
  • kray28 likes this

Posted Image

#6 kray28

kray28

Off The Bench

• 2,435 posts

Posted June 25, 2017 - 09:34 AM

Every now and then when the wife isn't looking, I sneak in a stealth order for a Masterpiece item.  :D  

It's hard to hide things over $100 though. That's why it will be hard for me to get MP-36.

I'm not a Decepticon fan per se, but I love the Seekers like you. It's cool you have the original Starscream (colors were weird though...some called him "Thunderscream"). I love the new Seeker redesign in MP-11 though, and I definitely want one of the Coneheads (probably Thrust or Dirge). 

• Game likes this

pkray.png

#7 manaro90

manaro90

Starter

• 5,145 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic, Nick Young

Posted June 25, 2017 - 10:50 PM

to be honest, in 2007 when they dropped part 1 with shia and megan. THIS WAS LIT.

the movie was just kind of the high edge of my puberty and before i knew it just summed up everything. being related to girls, to your instant hot crush, wanting to drive new and fast cars and being dope as [expletive] with a gang of autobots behind you

this movie was really great and they should have just stopped after part 1. but of course hollywood sees the money and swish....

part 2, part 3, part 4.........

now its just washed up and i think this is sad to see that me personally i have come to a point where i dont even take the transformers franchise serious anymore cause its just tooooooooooooo much!!!

Even mark wahlberg said that recently, that hes happy that he did those 2 parts and now its finally over...

Cologne, Germany Baby! LAKERS FOR LIFE.  |   Add me Instagram: princealaddin90

#8 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 12,677 posts

Posted June 26, 2017 - 05:54 AM

Every now and then when the wife isn't looking, I sneak in a stealth order for a Masterpiece item.  :D

It's hard to hide things over $100 though. That's why it will be hard for me to get MP-36.

I'm not a Decepticon fan per se, but I love the Seekers like you. It's cool you have the original Starscream (colors were weird though...some called him "Thunderscream"). I love the new Seeker redesign in MP-11 though, and I definitely want one of the Coneheads (probably Thrust or Dirge). 

yea, that MP-11 is fire...the best seeker design ever made by far.  that mp-36 is a little expensive and that's what's been holding me back.  I may end up with the mp-11 mold version skywarp and thundercracker before i end up with mp-36, but damn would starscream, soundwave, and megatron masterpiece look great together on my shelf.  

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users