#101 Olabebeh

Olabebeh

Rookie

• 666 posts
  • Name:Rafael
  • Fan Since:92
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant / Magic Johnson

Posted July 13, 2017 - 09:02 PM

Another solid game from Kuzma tonight, i will be very surprised if Luke doesn't give him solid minutes in his 1st rookie season.

• 43,799 posts

Posted July 13, 2017 - 09:04 PM

I'd pay to see Kuzma Nance one-on-one.

yo.

#103 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,952 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted July 13, 2017 - 09:05 PM

Kuzma may win back up 3 spot from Brewer or Deng if he keeps playing like this.   I still think he has a way to go but that three point shot is coming along well. The decision making has to as well. 

Kuzma may win starting 4 spot by the end of next year.  His shooting is really good...if it translates to NBA games while he keeps rebounding well, it will be hard to keep him off the floor.  

And Kuzma is a 4, not a 3.  Playing him at the 3 negates the speed advantage he'd have against 4s and deprives us of the only Stretch 4 on the roster.

tenor.gif

#104 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 13, 2017 - 09:09 PM

Kuzma may win starting 4 spot by the end of next year.  His shooting is really good...if it translates to NBA games while he keeps rebounding well, it will be hard to keep him off the floor.  

And Kuzma is a 4, not a 3.  Playing him at the 3 negates the speed advantage he'd have against 4s and deprives us of the only Stretch 4 on the roster.

I doubt it, particularly if Randle is still here. But then again you'll never believe in Randle anyway in our offense and will think of any scenario where he isn't here so that isn't shocking you think that. 

Anyway, the person who should worry about losing playing time right now is Zubac. Not because he's playing terrible but his effort isn't there and he's going to have to assert himself in practice and training camp.  Cause nothing would be stopping the Lakers from running a bench lineup of (lets just assume if they get Clark) 

Jordan Clarkson
Ian Clark
Corey Brewer
Kyle Kuzma
Larry Nance Jr. 

If they wanted to run small ball.   Because of that Zubac could get a lot of his minutes cut if he isn't bringing it this year like he did last year.  

So I don't think Nance should be worried, he's played well 3-5 against actual NBA talent and they can run small with him easy in many lineups.  Zubac is the one who should worry if they don't think he's gonna be able to play wt Lonzo's pace and his post up game and defensive upside isn't showing itself, he can easily be benched to play Nance at small ball 5 with the bench and Kuzma at the 4, it's no little thing.  

So that's the guy who should be worried rn imo. 

Edited by Majesty, July 13, 2017 - 09:10 PM.

• JGuez and Olabebeh like this

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

• 43,799 posts

Posted July 13, 2017 - 09:12 PM

How is one not playing terrible if the effort isn't there? No effort isn't terrible?

yo.

#106 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts

Posted July 13, 2017 - 09:15 PM

How is one not playing terrible if the effort isn't there? No effort isn't terrible?

Effort is what's determining his output, not lack of skill. That's what I'm basically trying to say. 

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#107 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 8,487 posts

Posted July 13, 2017 - 09:16 PM

Until Nance develops the ability to stretch the floor and knock down/take 3-pointers without hesitation, then yes, he should be worried. The fact that Kuzma is displaying solid defensive potential isn't helping him either.

I still think Luke will find minutes for him, even if they come at the 5, which I would prefer in place of Zu with the way he looks right now. Randle is safe to me, and has been talked up by Luke all summer.

Edited by Massacre, July 13, 2017 - 09:17 PM.

• JGuez likes this

• 43,799 posts

Posted July 13, 2017 - 09:18 PM

How are you so certain he isn't trying at all out there? Are you like in denial or something about the fact that either he's simply regressed and or he's even more out of shape?

yo.

#109 Ventiquattro

Ventiquattro

All-Star

• 6,559 posts

Posted July 13, 2017 - 10:02 PM

If Kuzma continues like this, I assume we'll see this line up often:

JC

Hart

Deng

Kuzma

Randle/Zubac or Nance

^ Assuming Randle ups his defense..

Say Randle plays 20min at the 4 and 10m at the backup 5. It allows more time for nance and Deng to get couple of more minutes at the 4.

Edited by Ventiquattro, July 13, 2017 - 10:03 PM.

#110 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 8,207 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted July 13, 2017 - 10:04 PM

Having a two inch verticle isn't because of effort

#111 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,952 posts

Posted July 13, 2017 - 10:21 PM

I doubt it, particularly if Randle is still here. But then again you'll never believe in Randle anyway in our offense and will think of any scenario where he isn't here so that isn't shocking you think that. 

It's hate?  Or simple math?  We can't pay Randle next year and have 2 max slots.

I have said that Randle will be a better fit in this offense with this roster...did you miss that?  Or do you want to keep spouting the same old "he's just a hater" defense to everything I say about Randle because you have absolutely no defense?

Anyway, the person who should worry about losing playing time right now is Zubac. Not because he's playing terrible but his effort isn't there and he's going to have to assert himself in practice and training camp.  Cause nothing would be stopping the Lakers from running a bench lineup of (lets just assume if they get Clark) 

Jordan Clarkson
Ian Clark
Corey Brewer
Kyle Kuzma
Larry Nance Jr. 

LOL!!!  How does KUZMA who is a 4, affect Zubac?

Or are you just in denial?

Zubac's role won't go up or down because of Kuzma but it could be affected by Bryant.  If we play Randle at the 5, that could take minutes from Zubac...

If they wanted to run small ball.   Because of that Zubac could get a lot of his minutes cut if he isn't bringing it this year like he did last year.  

So I don't think Nance should be worried, he's played well 3-5 against actual NBA talent and they can run small with him easy in many lineups.  Zubac is the one who should worry if they don't think he's gonna be able to play wt Lonzo's pace and his post up game and defensive upside isn't showing itself, he can easily be benched to play Nance at small ball 5 with the bench and Kuzma at the 4, it's no little thing.  

So that's the guy who should be worried rn imo. 

Nance should be worried...he needs to stretch the floor but he's not reliable there.  If Kuzma plays well, that puts more pressure on him.  Still not affecting Zubac.

Again, Randle isn't a factor going forward unless they find a way to move Clarkson/Deng for nothing...that's not likely...

Until Nance develops the ability to stretch the floor and knock down/take 3-pointers without hesitation, then yes, he should be worried. The fact that Kuzma is displaying solid defensive potential isn't helping him either.

I still think Luke will find minutes for him, even if they come at the 5, which I would prefer in place of Zu with the way he looks right now. Randle is safe to me, and has been talked up by Luke all summer.

Numbers are a factor.  Luke has been talking him up, which is good for his trade value.  Magic has been talking up 2 max slots, not going to happen if they extend Randle.  If you want to ignore the numbers (cap), everyone on the roster is "safe" until we play games...ignoring 2018 salary cap constraints would be a mistake.

tenor.gif

#112 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,559 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 14, 2017 - 12:06 AM

So lets get this straight:

Kuzma is

a very capable 3pt shooter - 10 of 26 (38.5%) in Vegas

a solid rebounder based on his college numbers

a very good passer for his size

a solid defender which he showed against the Celtics where he defended both Brown and Tatum

a very good transition player that seems to work very well with Ball.

I know its early, but it seems to me that the Lakers - again - might have found an under-the-radar steal late in the draft.

• GCMD and Olabebeh like this

#113 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts

Posted July 14, 2017 - 04:08 AM

It's hate?  Or simple math?  We can't pay Randle next year and have 2 max slots.

I have said that Randle will be a better fit in this offense with this roster...did you miss that?  Or do you want to keep spouting the same old "he's just a hater" defense to everything I say about Randle because you have absolutely no defense?

LOL!!!  How does KUZMA who is a 4, affect Zubac?

Or are you just in denial?

Zubac's role won't go up or down because of Kuzma but it could be affected by Bryant.  If we play Randle at the 5, that could take minutes from Zubac...

Nance should be worried...he needs to stretch the floor but he's not reliable there.  If Kuzma plays well, that puts more pressure on him.  Still not affecting Zubac.

Again, Randle isn't a factor going forward unless they find a way to move Clarkson/Deng for nothing...that's not likely...

Numbers are a factor.  Luke has been talking him up, which is good for his trade value.  Magic has been talking up 2 max slots, not going to happen if they extend Randle.  If you want to ignore the numbers (cap), everyone on the roster is "safe" until we play games...ignoring 2018 salary cap constraints would be a mistake.

You didn't even look at the lineup I'm guessing. 

if the Lakers wanted to run small ball with the bench they'd use this lineup 

Jordan Clarkson
Ian Clark
Corey Brewer
Kyle Kuzma
Larry Nance Jr. 

Which would directly effect Zubac's minutes.  It's almost like you forgot they could play Nance at small ball 5 with the bench or something within your diatribe. 

#114 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,086 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted July 14, 2017 - 05:26 AM

Unless the FO has instructed Luke to do so whenever appropriate to help increase his trade value in a we-didnt-see-that-coming move?

Personally, i think Randle will be around 17 and 11 this season.

And impress 'almost' all of us

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#115 JGuez

JGuez

All-Star

• 6,007 posts

Posted July 14, 2017 - 07:20 AM

I think Nance has a chance to lose his minutes this season, but like its been said there can be lineups where Kuzma is the bench 4 and Nance is the 5, or there can even be Kuzma at the 3 and Nance at the 4.

This dude seems very versatile. That said, let's see him play again NBA defenses before we're deciding whose minutes he's taking this season lol

#116 manaro90

manaro90

Starter

• 5,213 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 14, 2017 - 10:24 AM

kuzma is really a steal

i think he is also a young mattbarnes look a like

Cologne, Germany Baby! LAKERS FOR LIFE.  |   Add me Instagram: princealaddin90

#117 ChichoGarcy

ChichoGarcy

Rookie

• 975 posts
  • Name:Chicho
  • Fan Since:1992

Posted July 14, 2017 - 10:46 AM

We all like Kuzma now, but let's calm down. We've got to see the kid in real NBA games, he hasn't played one yet and we already are throwing Nance to the trash can.

Hype mode on: yes, he looks better than Larry, but you never know...

• 43,799 posts

Posted July 14, 2017 - 11:18 AM

kuzma is really a steal

i think he is also a young mattbarnes look a like

Way closer to Ben Simmons.

yo.

#119 LAkerFan85

LAkerFan85

Rookie

• 237 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted July 14, 2017 - 11:51 AM

He reminds me of Robert Horry

#120 Chick Stern

Chick Stern

Rookie

• 824 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Big 4: West/Kareem/Magic/Kobe

Posted July 14, 2017 - 11:56 AM

I agree - Horry

Edited by Chick Stern, July 14, 2017 - 11:56 AM.

"You can't get much done in life if you only work on the days when you feel good."

--Jerry West

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)