875 replies to this topic

#841 lakersince75

lakersince75

Sixth Man

• 3,199 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted January 10, 2019 - 04:16 PM

If dude can become and average defender, he will be the biggest steal in a long time

• LACAS likes this

#842 noknife

noknife

Starter

• 4,861 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted January 10, 2019 - 04:41 PM

If dude can become and average defender, he will be the biggest steal in a long time

He has been about average the past month and a half.

#843 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 25,659 posts

Posted January 10, 2019 - 06:46 PM

I think with kuz it’s become a better defender, rebounder but most importantly

Ball handler

If he can just even slightly tighten that up he’ll be a scorer in this league 25ppg

Great size and athleticism and I trust his shot will round out. I see him as a 48% shooter and 36-38% from 3 in his prime

World of potential. He gets underrated because of his draft position and age but I see him as being a legitimate scoring threat in this league.
Posted Image

#844 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 18,605 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted January 11, 2019 - 07:48 AM

I think Kuz is overrated.
Natural scorer butnot much else.

His intangibles stop at clutch... he is a competitor.

But as far as what everyone brings to the table... Kuzma is most easily replaced imo. Other than Hart.

If we sign any FA. Kuzma gets less shots.
Zo and Brandon have shown to be able to have imoact with 10 fgas or less. Ssme wwith hart. Kuzma needs shots to be effective. If we dont get a FA... of course keep Kuz but if we get a guy who takes shots... then the defensive skills of our 2 number 2 draft picks will be more useful
  • LACAS likes this

#845 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 18,605 posts

Posted January 11, 2019 - 08:01 AM

But as far as what everyone brings to the table... Kuzma is most easily replaced imo. Other than Hart.

Zo and Brandon have shown to be able to have imoact with 10 fgas or less. Ssme wwith hart. Kuzma needs shots to be effective. If we dont get a FA... of course keep Kuz but if we get a guy who takes shots... then the defensive skills of our 2 number 2 draft picks will be more useful
  • LACAS likes this

#846 kray28

kray28

Sixth Man

• 3,155 posts
  • Fan Since:1988
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 11, 2019 - 09:36 AM

Natural scorers don't exactly grow on trees though. Just the fact that he can pretty much get any shot he wants anytime makes him a huge asset on this team. Just like you can overlook Lonzo's gigantic shortcomings because of his transcendent passing/playmaking, you overlook Kuzma's individual defensive weaknesses because they are largely outweighed by what he brings offensively. 

• GCMD likes this

livin' in a river of darkness beneath the neon lights

pkray.png

#847 noknife

noknife

Starter

• 4,861 posts

Posted January 11, 2019 - 09:40 AM

BI is an iso player that requires the ball to be in his hand to be even remotely effective on a team that is going to be built around the greatest player in the game who also likes to have the ball in his hand, he doesn't fit with the team even when playing his best, which he doesn't do often.  Zo is a completely different player, so even comparing them in any way is pretty difficult.  I like Zo's game, he is definitely a player I would try to keep and play to his strengths.  Kuzma is a legit scorer, he can catch and shoot, he can back people down, he doesn't require the ball to be in his hand and in fact is better off ball, which makes him an ideal player to pair with LeBron.  If you want to talk about defense, that is a different story.  BI is a great defender because of his length, Zo is just an elite level perimeter defender period, Kuz has been way better this season.  If Kuz continues on his trajectory he is probably an all star next season, with a contract like he has, he is an incredible asset and one that the Lakers should hold on to.

• GCMD, kray28 and LACAS like this

#848 Japago

Japago

Starter

• 4,844 posts
  • Name:Pat
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 12, 2019 - 03:47 PM

Kuzma is probably the 3rd option on a championship team at best. While the 41 pt game was really impressive, he struggles too much when he is the go-to guy. I think he's only consistent when he's playing next to better offensive options like LeBron. That's still a very good player to have, but I don't think I can have aspirations for him beyond that.

#849 noknife

noknife

Starter

• 4,861 posts

Posted January 22, 2019 - 10:01 AM

Kuzma is probably the 3rd option on a championship team at best. While the 41 pt game was really impressive, he struggles too much when he is the go-to guy. I think he's only consistent when he's playing next to better offensive options like LeBron. That's still a very good player to have, but I don't think I can have aspirations for him beyond that.

That is what he should be groomed to become, and looks like that is the case.

#850 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 25,659 posts

Posted January 22, 2019 - 01:09 PM

That is what he should be groomed to become, and looks like that is the case.

I agree. He could be our Klay Thompson. He can be #2 some nights, #3 most nights, and even on a rare occasion #1

But I do think he’s a keeper

Ball can potentially be a keeper. And tbh if you happen to land kyrie, I think you can roll with kuzma, kyrie and Lebron and just have lonzo literally play defense and move the ball

Ideally you’d want to sign a legitimate center in that scenario. And post Lebron you’re left with kyrie and kuzma who’d be entering his prime
Posted Image

#851 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 18,605 posts

Posted January 22, 2019 - 03:25 PM

Zero chance for kyrie. Y’all like hypotheticals more than actual ball.

#852 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 16,088 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 22, 2019 - 05:30 PM

I think with kuz it’s become a better defender, rebounder but most importantly

Ball handler

If he can just even slightly tighten that up he’ll be a scorer in this league 25ppg

Great size and athleticism and I trust his shot will round out. I see him as a 48% shooter and 36-38% from 3 in his prime

World of potential. He gets underrated because of his draft position and age but I see him as being a legitimate scoring threat in this league.

Actually, I think Kuzma needs to improve in setting SCREENS and using picks.

I think his handles are good for the player he is.  I think he's right at the max in aggressiveness we need from him on the ball.  I want to see him put himself in better position to feed of LeBron/Lonzo/Rondo as a finisher, not try to create too much for himself.

2nd year in the NBA. 

Made the fastest adjustment to playing off LeBron out of every player on this team.

Still scoring at a better clip and more efficiently than Ingram.

If anything, Kuzma proved that he could feed off an elite passer when he was a rookie and has RE-AFFIRMED that while adjusting to playing with THREE elite passers, LeBron/Rondo/Lonzo.  Kuzma is legit.

Not a lot of people can average almost 20ppg next to LeBron without shooting a very high percentage from 3.  Kuzma has.  I think he's capable of scoring and feeding off other stars.  0 worries about him on a team with 2 other great scorers.

#853 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

Superstar

• 8,122 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted January 22, 2019 - 05:35 PM

I think Ball and Kuzma are both keepers.

I'll dangle Ingram for the right price.

Fans on this board seem to be upset at his defensive lapses but I think he's actually improved in that area this year.  
His only issue is the same thing that plagues most youngsters.  INCONSISTENCY.  One game he'll poor on 25+ easily.  The next game he won't be able to throw a rock into the ocean.

His offensive arsenal has improved though.  I've seen some very pretty mid range bank shots, turn around fade-away jumpers, and the occasional hook shot finish that he's shown since his rookie year.

I agree that Kuzma is a third option type player on a championship team.  He can most certainly be a Kevin Love type producer alongside Lebron, if not even more versatile.

#854 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 9,881 posts

Posted January 22, 2019 - 05:39 PM

Hot take: Kuzma is already a better 2nd scoring option than whatever LeBron had last year (Love included).

If he’s your #3 moving forward, you’re in good shape. I think he still has tons of room to grow.
  • GCMD and LakeShow1o1 like this

#855 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 9,881 posts

Posted January 22, 2019 - 05:43 PM

His 3 PT% is concerning, but guys still play him as a threat from there and it helps opens up other parts of his game.

But it needs to come up. It’s horrid and he blows far too many open looks.

#856 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 16,088 posts

Posted January 22, 2019 - 06:03 PM

Yeah, I'm sold on Kuzma.  He may never be a #1 but he's definitely a player that helps you win games on the offensive end.

#857 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 16,088 posts

Posted January 22, 2019 - 06:06 PM

His 3 PT% is concerning, but guys still play him as a threat from there and it helps opens up other parts of his game.

But it needs to come up. It’s horrid and he blows far too many open looks.

His stroke is consistent.  I don't worry about shooting unless they lack speed to get to the cup.  Kuzma's shooting will come around.

#858 noknife

noknife

Starter

• 4,861 posts

Posted January 22, 2019 - 07:12 PM

Hot take: Kuzma is already a better 2nd scoring option than whatever LeBron had last year (Love included).

If he’s your #3 moving forward, you’re in good shape. I think he still has tons of room to grow.

Not even a hot take.  I watched a majority of the Cavs games last season, Love was decent when not injured, about on par with Kuzma.  Kuz as a 3rd option is a good team, now got to get a guy that is better than him to be the 2nd :)

#859 LACAS

LACAS

Sixth Man

• 3,644 posts
  • Name:LACAS
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic-Kobe or Kobe-Magic

Posted January 23, 2019 - 08:23 AM

Kuz makes a solid 3rd option!

#860 ArabicMamba

ArabicMamba

All-Star