Welcome Lonzo Ball

• Please log in to reply
1174 replies to this topic

#861 Tensai

Tensai

Superstar

• 8,255 posts

Posted November 08, 2017 - 10:52 PM

If the team played a bit more like how SL team played, Lonzo would probably have an easier transition to pro-level. The set pieces takes a while to understand.

Even then I applaud him not turning the ball over.

fXlFKv8.gif

#862 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 23,744 posts

Posted November 08, 2017 - 11:03 PM

He can't shoot, and sometimes can't even lay it up. His offensive game is worst than Kidds coming into the league. It is going to take some time, but offensively he should not be shooting jump shots unless no one is within 10 feet of him.

Ya jason Kidd also came into the league after two years in college
Posted Image

#863 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 23,744 posts

Posted November 08, 2017 - 11:05 PM

All of Lonzo's weaknesses are on display. They are going to have to get a primary ball handler. He's just not it.

lol huh? That's the one thing he's doing well

Not to mention you're the same guy who was calling for Ingrams head. I think you need to have more patience

Edited by last stand 2.0, November 08, 2017 - 11:08 PM.

• FranklinPeanuts, Saber, Rekal and 1 other like this
Posted Image

#864 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 23,744 posts

Posted November 08, 2017 - 11:08 PM

Usually agree with you on everything but I can't get behind this one.

Dude has been pretty good at basically everything except putting the ball in the basket. When he figures that out, he'll be played different over the course of games and more passing lanes will open up. He's got about 30 assists to 5 turnovers in the last 5 games.

The half court issues are definitely there, but keep in mind that there's nothing to run and whatever we do run, he's not featured in it. I definitely think he'd be better if we had a secondary ball-handler in the lineup (name rhymes with Beangelo Tussell), but I'm not ready to completely take him off the ball.

Dangelo is playing pretty mediocre in his 3rd year and if ball is struggling the way people think in the halfcourt then having a guard who struggled just as much in the half court early on and has improved but still has struggles getting any penetration is a disaster
Posted Image

#865 manaro90

manaro90

Starter

• 5,254 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 09, 2017 - 01:26 AM

kid is struggeling.. so bad..

Cologne, Germany Baby! LAKERS FOR LIFE.  |   Add me Instagram: princealaddin90

#866 Saber

Saber

O.G.

• 13,858 posts
  • Name:Ivan
  • Fan Since:year 2000

Posted November 09, 2017 - 03:05 AM

Kid just needs time man .. We expect him to average a triple double right off the gate. It's just not happening anytime soon.

#867 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,381 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted November 09, 2017 - 03:40 AM

It's not just that he's missing...many of those shots are waaaaay off. 

Still too early to panic. But it's going to be tough to win games when your PG cannot drive or score. 

The driving looks like it will come around LONG before the outside shooting does

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#868 manaro90

manaro90

Starter

• 5,254 posts
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted November 09, 2017 - 03:47 AM

if he turns out to be a bust, this is going to be the worst draft pick after michael olowokandi and anthony bennet and people will always be laughing at us for drafting lonzo and putting him OVER Dangelo Russell..........  :(

If the thunder didnt give Westbrook the MAX, I would have send lets go behind Westbrook in summer 2018, if Ball wont turn out to be a triple double guy or at least a very good pass first PG...but thats also over..

Cologne, Germany Baby! LAKERS FOR LIFE.  |   Add me Instagram: princealaddin90

#869 BORNINLA

BORNINLA

Rookie

• 308 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted November 09, 2017 - 08:26 AM

Lonzo has the same numbers as Kidd during his first 10 games in a supposedly more "athletic" league.   Lonzo just needs to shoot the rock closer and stop throwing up 3's for now and finish at the basket.  He'll be fine...

Edited by BORNINLA, November 09, 2017 - 08:26 AM.

#870 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 10,943 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted November 09, 2017 - 08:30 AM

Disney have 4 blocks?

#871 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,381 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted November 09, 2017 - 08:46 AM

Disney have 4 blocks?

Pixar with 7 steals?

• Rekal likes this

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#872 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Starter

• 5,184 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted November 09, 2017 - 09:18 AM

Ya jason Kidd also came into the league after two years in college

I was just using that as a comparison to show how awful his offensive game is. Kidd's offense was nonexistent as a rookie, Lonzo's is just as bad if not worst. Lonzo is shooting <30% that's god awful. It's the second lowest fg percentage in a players first 11 career games since 1954. He's shooting 34.4% in the paint and 24% outside the paint. Kid can't score. Said this since before the draft he has no jimmy, that one year at UCLA was a fluke. 

Edited by PhillyLaker24, November 09, 2017 - 09:18 AM.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#873 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 10,943 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989

Posted November 09, 2017 - 10:05 AM

Pixar with 7 steals?

Auto correct is a wonderful thing Goofy

Didn't he have 4 blocks?

#874 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 23,744 posts

Posted November 09, 2017 - 10:05 AM

I was just using that as a comparison to show how awful his offensive game is. Kidd's offense was nonexistent as a rookie, Lonzo's is just as bad if not worst. Lonzo is shooting <30% that's god awful. It's the second lowest fg percentage in a players first 11 career games since 1954. He's shooting 34.4% in the paint and 24% outside the paint. Kid can't score. Said this since before the draft he has no jimmy, that one year at UCLA was a fluke.

You can't make a commentary on something like "kid can't score" this early

Sure he can't score now. But something like that is unknowable. Ingram is a perfect example. Not as bad early scoring wise as lonzo but he has found his way to seemingly being a consistent scorer

He put up 18 efficiently against the best defense in basketball and as of now seems like his growth is going to continue. So I don't think that lonzo can be written off as a scorer yet

Lost in his shooting percentage is the fact that he's actually shooting. That's more important this early on. I'd be a tad worried if he was going 1-5, 0-4, 1-6 every single game. But true bright side is he's taking a bunch of shots which means he's not exactly backing down

That's always better than the alternative. Will he start connecting? I have no clue but at least he's trying.

People are incredibly hyperbolic with lonzo. I'd like to say with all of our youth but even Russell, Randle and Ingram all got more than 11 games before they were stamped as final

Lonzo can't do this, lonzo isn't this, lonzo is unable to play this way

Lol it's 11 games into a rookie 20 year olds career. And you know what's funny is russell who I like was an empty vessel when he wasn't scoring. He would check out. Lonzo at least competes and moves the ball when he's not scoring and attempts to play defense (not always successful but tries)

People need to cut him some slack. You'd think this was year 3 the way people are talking about him. It's not even one quarter through year 1
Posted Image

#875 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Starter

• 5,184 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted November 09, 2017 - 10:11 AM

You can't make a commentary on something like "kid can't score" this early

Sure he can't score now. But something like that is unknowable. Ingram is a perfect example. Not as bad early scoring wise as lonzo but he has found his way to seemingly being a consistent scorer

He put up 18 efficiently against the best defense in basketball and as of now seems like his growth is going to continue. So I don't think that lonzo can be written off as a scorer yet

Lost in his shooting percentage is the fact that he's actually shooting. That's more important this early on. I'd be a tad worried if he was going 1-5, 0-4, 1-6 every single game. But true bright side is he's taking a bunch of shots which means he's not exactly backing down

That's always better than the alternative. Will he start connecting? I have no clue but at least he's trying.

People are incredibly hyperbolic with lonzo. I'd like to say with all of our youth but even Russell, Randle and Ingram all got more than 11 games before they were stamped as final

Lonzo can't do this, lonzo isn't this, lonzo is unable to play this way

Lol it's 11 games into a rookie 20 year olds career. And you know what's funny is russell who I like was an empty vessel when he wasn't scoring. He would check out. Lonzo at least competes and moves the ball when he's not scoring and attempts to play defense (not always successful but tries)

People need to cut him some slack. You'd think this was year 3 the way people are talking about him. It's not even one quarter through year 1

Did I say anywhere he will never score? Of course players can grow, and Lonzo is no different. I'm just pointing out that his offensive game is garbage RIGHT now. This was obvious prior to the draft. I'm trying to show people on this board it really isn't a big deal because you should have already knew offensively he wasn't gonna be anything special. He is super young, and has nothing but time to get better. However, that jimmy is ugly and he won't get real consistency with that form ever. The only thing troubling to me is watching a guy 6'6 not be able to make layups or score in the paint. That worries me a lot more because I already expected him not to have a jimmy. If he's having trouble with the easy baskets that's worrisome.

Edited by PhillyLaker24, November 09, 2017 - 10:14 AM.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#876 BORNINLA

BORNINLA

Rookie

• 308 posts

Posted November 09, 2017 - 10:34 AM

It's hilarious to watch everyone rip Lonzo Ball for his offense.   I just heard garbage arse Stephen A Smith say Fox had a great game against OKC while Lonzo hasn't played.  O.k.. let's see:

Fox - 10pts. 8 Ast. 2 Reb 5 TO

Ball - 9 pts. 6 Ast  5 Reb 2 TO

Granted, Fox shot 50%.   Ball had like 3-4 misses right at the rim including that monster block.   I was pissed Lonzo came out passive once again but after his first sit down he came back aggressive.   He is able to break down his man and get into the lane, it's just a matter of finishing.   His shot, I have no excuse for except he is letting his misses get to him.  If he comes in and shoots a 20 footer instead of that 3 it will help him.

While D'Angelo is the better scorer, this team needed a playmaker.  As it is now, Ingram, Lopez, KCP and Randall all want to score.   

Let's see what he does tonight. 

• MambaMentality likes this

#877 LACAS

LACAS

Off The Bench

• 2,334 posts
  • Name:CAS
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted November 09, 2017 - 10:41 AM

11 games... LOL 

Lonzo needs to shoot and shoot more, get in the gym and shoot until your arms cant shoot anymore.

I was listening to Billups speak about Lonzo and he said the kid doesn't need to change his shot, he simply needs to keep shooting, it will come.

Lonzo is a bust after 11 games  LMAO. 

#878 BORNINLA

BORNINLA

Rookie

• 308 posts

Posted November 09, 2017 - 10:44 AM

11 games... LOL 

Lonzo needs to shoot and shoot more, get in the gym and shoot until your arms cant shoot anymore.

I was listening to Billups speak about Lonzo and he said the kid doesn't need to change his shot, he simply needs to keep shooting, it will come.

Lonzo is a bust after 11 games  LMAO. 

I know right?  But that's the question, how much does Lonzo really want to be great as oppose to just being happy being in the NBA?  He pretty much has 1 1/2 years to prove himself to the front office or he's going to get shipped out.   Especially if there is any chance to get LeBron and PG13 here. 

#879 kray28

kray28

Off The Bench

• 2,687 posts
  • Fan Since:1988

Posted November 09, 2017 - 11:04 AM

He keeps blowing easy layups that he could easily dunk. It gives me the impression that he's kind of lackadaisical and doesn't really want it that bad. 

Edited by kray28, November 09, 2017 - 11:06 AM.

• BORNINLA likes this

livin' in a river of darkness beneath the neon lights

pkray.png

#880 BORNINLA

BORNINLA

Rookie

• 308 posts

Posted November 09, 2017 - 11:14 AM

He keeps blowing easy layups that he could easily dunk. It gives me the impression that he's kind of lackadaisical and doesn't really want it that bad. 

That is true. I also think he is finding out just how quick and athletic NBA players are compared to HS and College.   Remember that Lavar kept him away from competing against other top Basketball players during HS.  

He is improving IMO, just needs to take it up strong and learn how to take contact and still get his shot off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users