• Please log in to reply
1404 replies to this topic

#581 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 13,358 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted August 09, 2017 - 12:32 AM

Won't even bother with a reply ... November can't come soon enough...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shaq wasn't a gym rat either...one of the greatest but not good work ethic.

tenor.gif

#582 erfolk

erfolk

Sixth Man

• 3,078 posts
  • Name:Lewis
  • Fan Since:Birth:10-31-86
  • Fav. Laker:All Bout The Name On The Front

Posted August 09, 2017 - 12:33 AM

While agree, that doesn't mean he was a gym rat. Not sure Kobe would have called him out (wanting him to be traded for Jason Kidd) if he was a gym rat. But yeah he did come a long way.

Kobe wanted to trade him because he was young and wasnt ready to contribute right away. Him being a gym rat or not has nothing to do why kobe wanted to trade him.

#583 erfolk

erfolk

Sixth Man

• 3,078 posts

Posted August 09, 2017 - 12:34 AM

Shaq wasn't a gym rat either...one of the greatest but not good work ethic.

How do you know that?
  • Busty Bluth likes this

#584 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 13,358 posts

Posted August 09, 2017 - 12:38 AM

Thats not true this dude fought back from a series knee injury. His body just broke down

Umm...not sure if the first statement is correct and not sure how the 2nd one connects to being a gym rat...but I'm not very smart so I'll just chalk this one up to my own stupidity.

Edited by GCMD, August 09, 2017 - 12:42 AM.

tenor.gif

#585 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 13,358 posts

Posted August 09, 2017 - 12:42 AM

Kobe wanted to trade him because he was young and wasnt ready to contribute right away. Him being a gym rat or not has nothing to do why kobe wanted to trade him.

Well, I could counter that with the notion that Kobe didn't think he was a gym rat nor would he ever reach the level of Kidd.  If Kobe saw gym rat in him, I'm pretty sure he'd have no problem working with him.

Kobe's dislike of Shaq's work ethic is what sparked their beef...famously, in fact.  Kobe has never had a problem with young players.  He took many raw players under his wing including Ariza and Devean George.  Logic would lead one to conclude that his age wasn't the problem.

tenor.gif

#586 erfolk

erfolk

Sixth Man

• 3,078 posts

Posted August 09, 2017 - 12:46 AM

Umm...not sure if the first statement is correct and not sure how the 2nd one connects to being a gym rat...but I'm not very smart so I'll just chalk this one up to my own stupidity.

He dislocated his knee cap and came back to become the second best center in the league. What exactly isnt true? Yea i guess you can chalk it up. It takes a lot to come back from that and you have to put a lot of time in the gym

Edited by erfolk, August 09, 2017 - 12:52 AM.

#587 erfolk

erfolk

Sixth Man

• 3,078 posts

Posted August 09, 2017 - 12:51 AM

Well, I could counter that with the notion that Kobe didn't think he was a gym rat nor would he ever reach the level of Kidd. If Kobe saw gym rat in him, I'm pretty sure he'd have no problem working with him.

Kobe's dislike of Shaq's work ethic is what sparked their beef...famously, in fact. Kobe has never had a problem with young players. He took many raw players under his wing including Ariza and Devean George. Logic would lead one to conclude that his age wasn't the problem.

I mean i go by what was said at the time. I never heard Kobe didnt want Bynum because he wasnt in the gym enough. You are the first person i ever heard say that.
Are you assuming that is why Kobe wanted to trade him for Kidd or did you actually hear that. Logic tells me you are assuming.

#588 Artest37

Artest37

Rookie

• 761 posts
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Lonzo Ball BBB!

Posted August 09, 2017 - 11:25 AM

Just google "Andrew Bynum gym rat magic" and see Magics comments on him. Then come back here and insert your "Magic has no idea what he's talking about" follow up post...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Twitter : @_PurpleReign_

Posted Image

#589 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 10,440 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted August 09, 2017 - 12:00 PM

erfolk out here trying to put the word gym in a sentence with Andrew Bynum. Just stop.

#590 erfolk

erfolk

Sixth Man

• 3,078 posts

Posted August 09, 2017 - 12:36 PM

erfolk out here trying to put the word gym in a sentence with Andrew Bynum. Just stop.

Yea i am. The youngest player ever drafted having a serious knee injury then becoming the second best center in the league that doesnt happen without spending time in the gym.
  •     likes this

#591 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 13,358 posts

Posted August 09, 2017 - 08:13 PM

Yea i am. The youngest player ever drafted having a serious knee injury then becoming the second best center in the league that doesnt happen without spending time in the gym.

Do you remember some of Kareem's comments on Bynum?

http://bleacherrepor...ing-to-be-great

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar: Andrew Bynum Gets Bored Working to Be Great

I believe Andrew has always had the potential to help a team when he puts his heart into it. He just doesn't seem to be consistent with his commitment to the game. That can lead to a lot of frustration for any team that has signed him.

When I worked with Andrew I found him to be bright & hardworking but I think he got bored with the repetitive nature of working on basketball fundamentals day in and day out... but they are the keys to long term success. 

Don't worry about it...happens a lot to us old folks.  We forget things that should have stood out...

And this article was 12/29/2013...

And another Ding Article...

http://bleacherrepor...-should-move-on

Bynum may have put in some work but that's not the same as "gym rat".

tenor.gif

#592 Artest37

Artest37

Rookie

• 761 posts

Posted August 09, 2017 - 09:01 PM

There was always questions surrounding Andrew Bynum and his time spent in Los Angeles.

If there is one person who knows the ins and outs of his time in a Lakers uniform, it’s Magic Johnson.

On Sunday following his comments to the Philadelphia media where Bynum told reporters he doesn’t want to play in pain and that it’s ‘his life’ and he’s ‘only 25,’ Johnson ripped into Bynum and his work ethic in Los Angeles.

“He takes the summers off,” Johnson said on ESPN/ABC television on Sunday during halftime show of Clippers/Thunder.

“Bynum is not a gym rat and what he’s doing now, he did in Los Angeles and the Lakers knew that.”

Bynum has not played a game in a Sixers uniform and told reporters last week and there’s a chance he may not play at all this season.

Read More: Magic Johnson Rips Andrew Bynum | http://973espn.com/m...ackback=tsmclip

• GCMD likes this

Posted Image

#593 Artest37

Artest37

Rookie

• 761 posts

Posted August 09, 2017 - 09:13 PM

He doesn't want it bad enough. That's essentially been the chief narrative surrounding Bynum the last two seasons. It was the case when he missed all of last season in Philadelphia, a year in which his last reported injury was sustained while bowling. It was the case even before thatas well, as an anonymous former teammate once said: "I’ve never met another player in the league who likes basketball less [than Bynum]."

Well this screams gym rat to me, you guys are all wrong.

About Bynum suspension, league source tells Yahoo: "He doesn't want to play basketball anymore. He never liked it that much in first place."

oh there's more, channeling my inner GCMD  ;)

Surprise: Andrew Bynum didn't work out in Cleveland. The Cavaliers deemed him such a nuisance to the operation that they're paying him to stay home until they can either trade him or waive him before Jan. 7 to avoid paying the second half of his $12 million salary.  https://www.sbnation...eland-cavaliers

https://www.sbnation...eland-cavaliers

• GCMD likes this

Posted Image

#594 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,537 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted August 10, 2017 - 03:42 AM

Reality series, Bynam and Upshaw BBROS.

Episode 1: At the Barber Shop with Andrew

Edited by kball, August 10, 2017 - 05:16 AM.

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#595 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 13,358 posts

Posted August 10, 2017 - 08:48 AM

Not sure how this came about but the narrative that Bynum was a "gym rat" seems fairly new to me and, I'm quite sure, very incorrect.  He became a good player under the tutelage of Kareem and with Phil, Kobe and Pau as examples but I don't remember anyone calling him a "gym rat".

tenor.gif

#596 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 13,358 posts

Posted August 10, 2017 - 08:51 AM

alright.

Lonzo Ball impresses Lakers with Work Ethic and hard work. 

Chris Martin Palmer ‏Verified account @ChrisPalmerNBA 7h7 hours ago 
Luke Walton says 6 to10 Lakers have been working out daily. “Blasting music, lifting weights, 2-on-2. The atmosphere has been incredible.” 

Lonzo Ball was in all week. But went on vacation yesterday. His first real time off since he was drafted. 

Lonzo Ball has impressed teammates with his work ethic, commitment and humility. One player told me: “You just like being around him.” 

Luke on LaVar Ball: “He's been great. Every interaction has been nothing but positive.” 

Luke won't put a number on how many wins he expects. Has one but won't say. "But in 2-3 years we're going to be a really, really good team." 

Keep that in mind... Ball went on vacation, he is supposed to be relaxing. 

However.. 

Lonzo Ball on Vacation in Hawaii, is still putting the work in and balling 

https://twitter.com/...384867102154752 
https://twitter.com/...525296413941760 
https://twitter.com/...390179599130624 
https://twitter.com/...387031195164672 
https://twitter.com/...525456149913601 
https://twitter.com/...525977375965185 

https://www.reddit.c...s_of_dudes_got/ 

Back on Topic.

Lonzo needs to work on getting stronger...I think he needs to take a page from Ingram and concentrate on his body because the NBA season and NBA competition is for grown men with grown men bodies.  To me, he's still got the Freshman at UCLA look.  Workout more...better conditioning and targeted strength training.

• LACAS likes this

tenor.gif

#597 manaro90

manaro90

Starter

• 5,271 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 10, 2017 - 10:27 AM

isnt it kind of late for vacation?

Cologne, Germany Baby! LAKERS FOR LIFE.  |   Add me Instagram: princealaddin90

#598 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 13,358 posts

Posted August 11, 2017 - 04:29 AM

isnt it kind of late for vacation?

Well, he has to take a little time off.  From what I've heard, he's been busy with interviews, SL and working out with other Lakers since he was drafted.  If he doesn't take a vacation now, he won't get another chance until April.  Training Camp is right around the corner.

tenor.gif

#599 LACAS

LACAS

Off The Bench

• 2,390 posts
  • Name:CAS
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic-Kobe or Kobe-Magic

Posted August 11, 2017 - 05:11 AM

What would be considered a "great" Rookie year for Lonzo?

#600 ChichoGarcy

ChichoGarcy

Off The Bench

• 1,710 posts
  • Name:Chicho
  • Fan Since:1992

Posted August 11, 2017 - 09:47 AM

So tell me Markelle... you're the 1st pick of this draft, aren't you?3ca0d8272c3af4becf8344ae12ebd321.jpg8adcac18c0657e88f9b4c3b6d6276783.jpg
  • dlaluan likes this

6 user(s) are reading this topic

3 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

LACAS, bigfetz, Bing (1), JayTheGreat