#501 ChichoGarcy

ChichoGarcy

Rookie

• 979 posts
  • Name:Chicho
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted July 17, 2017 - 12:48 PM

Love what I'm seeing from Ball. Def is turning me into an believer. I still have my worries about him tho. Still see holes in his game. But let's wait and see when he has coaches that enables a defense system to stop him. And has longer, faster, bigger, defenders guarding him.

Agreed. Love what I'm seeing too, but the holes in his game are there, and they've been easy to recognize. The main ones, shooting and on-ball defense. The second is the one that worries me the most, he seems to be very lazy in that aspect of the game, like not commited. But then again, nobody plays hard D in Summer League. If he can improve on those​ two flaws, he will have a real chance to be an elite point guard in the NBA.

#502 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,086 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted July 17, 2017 - 01:37 PM

Lillard already elite as they come.

With suspect defense.

I wouldnt worry too much if Ball's not great defensively

• LACAS likes this

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#503 kray28

kray28

Off The Bench

• 2,563 posts
  • Fan Since:1988
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 17, 2017 - 02:11 PM

Not really worried about Ball's game translating against actual pros.

Will he struggle, sure...but SL is still basketball. It's not table tennis...granted it's against weaker competition, he's not going to forget how to pass the ball or look ahead or do what he does best. I think the game will be easier for him playing next to actual NBA players. The defense will be better, so he's not going to be Magic 2.0, but nevertheless I think he'll have a good season.

He's racking up the most APG in SL history playing next to G-Leaguers. Give him guys like Brook, Ingram, KCP and runners like Nance, Randle, JC...it's going to work very well for both sides.

There are definitely weaknesses with this guy, as there are with all young PG's, but what he's doing out there deserves proper recognition and respect, SL or not.

The best argument I can put forth is that two years ago DeAngelo Russell was in the same spot that Lonzo Ball is in right now, with similar quality (and better teammates), and the outcome was significantly different.

• UKUGA, Jackson, MaceWindu and 1 other like this

livin' in a river of darkness beneath the neon lights

pkray.png

#504 LACAS

LACAS

Off The Bench

• 2,222 posts
  • Name:CAS
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted July 17, 2017 - 04:09 PM

The best argument I can put forth is that two years ago DeAngelo Russell was in the same spot that Lonzo Ball is in right now, with similar quality (and better teammates), and the outcome was significantly different.

Oh no you didn't, you said the D-L-O word and it wasn't positive....   ;)

Edited by LACAS, July 17, 2017 - 04:09 PM.

#505 MaceWindu

MaceWindu

Starter

• 4,617 posts
  • Name:Ben
  • Fan Since:Hector was a pup
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted July 17, 2017 - 05:42 PM

That and the things he's great at will translate. Guaranteed. The timely passes and quick reactions? you can't teach those skills. You have them or you don't. Not sure I agree with Stephen A saying something about putting on the brakes on the hype but Lonzo didn't create the hype. The media and his father did.

#506 Olabebeh

Olabebeh

Rookie

• 666 posts
  • Name:Rafael
  • Fan Since:92
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant / Magic Johnson

Posted July 17, 2017 - 06:11 PM

Summer League mvp. 

• MambaMentality likes this

#507 manaro90

manaro90

Starter

• 5,213 posts
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted July 17, 2017 - 09:52 PM

M V P!!!!!

Cologne, Germany Baby! LAKERS FOR LIFE.  |   Add me Instagram: princealaddin90

• 43,801 posts

Posted July 17, 2017 - 11:03 PM

Didn't even play the championship game and STILL got the mvp. Nice. Respect.

yo.

• 43,801 posts

Posted July 17, 2017 - 11:44 PM

Ranked #1 on NBA.com's rookie ladder.
  • UKUGA and Rekal like this

yo.

#510 manaro90

manaro90

Starter

• 5,213 posts
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted July 18, 2017 - 04:57 AM

to be honest.. 

with all this hype

i expect lonzo to make the all star team in his rookie year. mark my words.

Cologne, Germany Baby! LAKERS FOR LIFE.  |   Add me Instagram: princealaddin90

#511 androsays

androsays

representing infinity with presidencies

• 5,811 posts
  • Name:andro
  • Fan Since:90s
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted July 18, 2017 - 05:13 AM

Too many established all star guards in the west, not gonna happen year 1
  • kball likes this

2div

#512 Miggs

Miggs

16x CHAMPS

• 2,700 posts
  • Name:Miguel
  • Fan Since:1988 Finals
  • Fav. Laker:Showtime,Shaq and Kobe

Posted July 18, 2017 - 06:20 AM

to be honest..

with all this hype

all star break is in Los Angeles this year
  • manaro90 likes this
"Don't post while drunk, on draft night"

nSLiQqtm.jpg

#513 LACAS

LACAS

Off The Bench

• 2,222 posts
  • Name:CAS
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted July 18, 2017 - 06:30 AM

Im not going to put any unrealistic expectations on the kid... Im simply enjoying watching him ball up... this kid will be special!

SL or not, it was meaningful in that chemistry was built, we got to see the talent on the floor allowing us to evaluate and get a feel of what could come.

I know its early (VERY) but if Kuzma continues this play over preseason (exhibition), he's going to make a run to start at PF, Randle better bring it. BTW on this note I believe Kuzma has already over taken Nance just my opinion.

There is a lot to be excited about in Laker-land: Ball, Ingram, KPC, Randle (*the new and improved) and Lopez... this will be a fun and entertaining season to say the least!

Where have all the Magic and Pelinka bashers gone? <crickets>

• UKUGA, kball and Olabebeh like this

#514 UKUGA

UKUGA

Superstar

• 7,475 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted July 18, 2017 - 07:05 AM

We have had 4 straight lotto picks, including three straight #2 picks over-all.

This is the first time in the 4 years that I feel like we are making an honest, positive assessment, of a guy's current ability in his first year, rather than trying to simply look past weaknesses and talk unrealistically about what a guy can be in a perfect situation.

(Note:  Ingram is good, too). 

•     and LACAS like this

Don't feed the trolls. 

#515 UKUGA

UKUGA

Superstar

• 7,475 posts

Posted July 18, 2017 - 07:06 AM

to be honest.. 

with all this hype

Start voting now.

If he wants that to happen, BBB better send him on a promotional tour to China and India pronto. 

Don't feed the trolls. 

#516 UKUGA

UKUGA

Superstar

• 7,475 posts

Posted July 18, 2017 - 07:07 AM

Didn't even play the championship game and STILL got the mvp. Nice. Respect.

It was weird.  They gave it to him before the game. 

Don't feed the trolls. 

#517 UKUGA

UKUGA

Superstar

• 7,475 posts

Posted July 18, 2017 - 07:13 AM

http://www.espn.com/...l-summer-league

"Special talent, great vision, outstanding competitor, NBA-ready," said Mark Jackson, who is fourth all-time on the assists list (10,334) and currently is an ESPN analyst. "His passing ability is contagious."

"A home run pick for Magic, Rob [Pelinka] and the Lakers organization."

Ball's passing and pass-first mentality was "as advertised," as one talent evaluator put it. The Lakers point guard constantly looked to push the ball immediately up court after a rebound.

There were multiple occasions when Ball would either grab a rebound or catch an outlet and, in the same motion, fire a bomb sometimes the length of the court. And his passes almost always hit the target, some sailing right over defenders frantically sprinting back trying to cover a streaking Lakers player or over the outstretched arms of a defender and into a teammate's hands for a dunk or layup.

"What all great passers do is the guy takes a picture in his head," he said. "The guy rebounds the ball and he looks up and takes a picture. Watch every other point guard. [Ball] looks up the floor and takes a quick snapshot. The others don't do that. That's what he does. Like Jason [did]."

Edited by UKUGA, July 18, 2017 - 07:14 AM.

•     likes this

Don't feed the trolls. 

#518 Tensai

Tensai

Superstar

• 8,198 posts

Posted July 18, 2017 - 07:46 AM

K3xKNLL.jpg?1

fXlFKv8.gif

#519 UKUGA

UKUGA

Superstar

• 7,475 posts

Posted July 18, 2017 - 08:32 AM

Agreed. Love what I'm seeing too, but the holes in his game are there, and they've been easy to recognize. The main ones, shooting and on-ball defense. The second is the one that worries me the most, he seems to be very lazy in that aspect of the game, like not commited. But then again, nobody plays hard D in Summer League. If he can improve on those​ two flaws, he will have a real chance to be an elite point guard in the NBA.

The defense has always been a concern. 

But, with Ingram-KCP-Randle on the floor together, Ball will be able to take the weaker of the two guards (which will help, unless they are playing Houston or GSW) and should be able to mold well into the team's defensive effort. 

And again, while the defense is an issue, you have to believe that his innate court awareness will help him on this end to some degree.  Mainly by anticipating the pass and getting into lanes, etc.

Don't feed the trolls. 

#520 UKUGA

UKUGA

Superstar

• 7,475 posts

Posted July 18, 2017 - 08:32 AM

K3xKNLL.jpg?1

M-V-P

Don't feed the trolls.