Welcome Lonzo Ball

• Please log in to reply
603 replies to this topic

#461 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 8,167 posts

Posted July 17, 2017 - 12:46 AM

I can maybe get this opposition from a Celtics fan or Sixers fan, but Lakers fans arguing this is a bit comical. Either 1. You have not watched any summer league game this summer whatsoever. 2. You have off-the-court agenda against Lonzo because of his dad, or the media attention he gets. I can't think of any other reason why a Laker fan would try to discredit Lonzo after the tangible (stats, highlights) and intangible (his overall impact on the performance and morale of the team) contribution he's had so far. If you are unable to assess a talent yourself, then listen to people that actually play the game. All the players have come out saying Lonzo is the best passer and best teammate they have ever played with, and they credit him for their increased success. The coaches are singing the same tune.

If there is a person who should not be taken seriously here, it is obvious who it is.

• bfc1125roy likes this

fXlFKv8.gif

#462 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

Superstar

• 7,085 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted July 17, 2017 - 12:58 AM

It is only Summer League, so for the nay-sayers and doubters whom questioned Lonzo's game from the beginning, it's fine and it is still warranted.  Until he proves he can compete at this level of production in an 82 game season against professional talent, then w can start labeling.  

I've always been a huge advocate and believer in his ability as a floor general and distributor but there's no question that there are still many holes that need to be filled in terms of his half-court play, individual defense, and overall scoring ability. It's way to early to be declaring and labeling his play as generational, but if there is something that is obviously unique and "generational" in his play, it's his passing ability.  He clearly makes players around him better and he is prioritizes making the easy and correct play (textbook), rather than the flashy one.

As of right now, with his Summer League play, he's certainly reached expectations.  One surprise though is his ability to drive and finish with his left hand.  I knew he was a solid finisher at the rim, but in a handful of these SL games, his ability to penetrate the defense (albeit not much is played in SL) and finish at the rim has been solid.  There's times where he gets caught in the air and will either force a bad look or turn the ball over, but I like what I've seen.

KUZMA, is the major victory for me though.  Dude is going to be a steal and an extremely productive player.

• Olabebeh likes this

#463 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,742 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted July 17, 2017 - 01:06 AM

Lmao. Show time was more than one player making passes.

The players Magic joined in 1980?  They weren't known for uptempo, share the ball type play.  Magic changed the culture and everyone around him played that way...if you can't see that change even in SUMMER LEAGUE where being selfish to compete for an NBA contract is what happens between TEAMMATES, I just don't know what else to say.

The ShowTime style is what you're seeing evolve...with better fits and better athletes as teammates, it will become even MORE clear.

•     and bfc1125roy like this

tenor.gif

#464 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 10,091 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted July 17, 2017 - 01:09 AM

I can maybe get this opposition from a Celtics fan or Sixers fan, but Lakers fans arguing this is a bit comical. Either 1. You have not watched any summer league game this summer whatsoever. 2. You have off-the-court agenda against Lonzo because of his dad, or the media attention he gets. I can't think of any other reason why a Laker fan would try to discredit Lonzo after the tangible (stats, highlights) and intangible (his overall impact on the performance and morale of the team) contribution he's had so far. If you are unable to assess a talent yourself, then listen to people that actually play the game. All the players have come out saying Lonzo is the best passer and best teammate they have ever played with, and they credit him for their increased success. The coaches are singing the same tune.

If there is a person who should not be taken seriously here, it is obvious who it is.

Yeah the guy who was on Dlo's jockstrap the 1st year then does a 360 flip in his second year. You will do the same with Lonzo. Take this dude seriously folks.

All I'm saying is y'all putting unnecessary hype on a kid who may bust instead of just letting him doing his thing and paint his own legacy. The same thing people did with Dlo and those same people ended up disappointed.

Calling him generational when he didn't play a single NBA game yet. Jason Kidd was generational, and so is Chris Paul. So when you say generational, then he'll have to average 20-22ppg, 7 rebounds, and 10 assists game WHILE leading his team to victory on a nightly basis, the same way they did this upcoming season. I'll hold you up to it.

I'm actually protecting Lonzo Ball and want the best for him. You're setting him up to fail with unfair expectations.

Edited by Jackson, July 17, 2017 - 01:20 AM.

• Busty Bluth likes this

#465 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 10,091 posts

Posted July 17, 2017 - 01:13 AM

The players Magic joined in 1980? They weren't known for uptempo, share the ball type play. Magic changed the culture and everyone around him played that way...if you can't see that change even in SUMMER LEAGUE where being selfish to compete for an NBA contract is what happens between TEAMMATES, I just don't know what else to say.

The ShowTime style is what you're seeing evolve...with better fits and better athletes as teammates, it will become even MORE clear.

Never have I ever seen people hype summer league games composed with mainly scrubs and compare them to regular NBA games. Smh

You really think fast paced Summer league games are a sign of Showtime?

Edited by Jackson, July 17, 2017 - 01:18 AM.

• Busty Bluth likes this

#466 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 10,091 posts

Posted July 17, 2017 - 01:17 AM

Sure I can. #1 pick, #2 pick, #1 pick and Lonzo is also a #2 pick. You people act like he is this overachiever drafted from #13 or something. His impact on UCLA is clear. His impact on the other players we have on the roster is clear.

Lebron, Durant, AD had [expletive] LOADS of holes in their game before they were drafted, yet they still went high. For a reason. They were special on the court. Just like Lonzo is.

Other than Durant being labeled skinny (which wasn't even listed as a red flag), what were LeBron and ADs holes? Skill wise what were their defiencies? These guys were unanimous in becoming dominant franchise players before they were drafted. Stop talking out of your ass to back your false statement.

Edited by Jackson, July 17, 2017 - 01:19 AM.

• Busty Bluth likes this

#467 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 8,167 posts

Posted July 17, 2017 - 01:21 AM

Nobody is setting high expectations for him. The expectations were there since he was in college. Just like KD, MJ, Lebron, Magic and all other legendary figures in NBA had at the very beginning of their journey. What you want to argue is that, he does not have what it takes to continue doing this, hence you are attacking everyone who is celebrating his success, and in a very dishonest way. Exploiting the holes in his game, disregarding his generational passing talent is same as trying to hide the sun with your palm.

The kid WINS while he is doing what he does. And all the atmosphere changed for the positive. It doesn't take a genius to figure the reason why the Lakers team with a bunch of G-league talent were able to win against a legit NBA squad (Nets) in a competitive game.

•     and bfc1125roy like this

fXlFKv8.gif

#468 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 8,167 posts

Posted July 17, 2017 - 01:27 AM

Other than Durant being labeled skinny (which wasn't even listed as a red flag), what were LeBron and ADs holes? Skill wise what were their defiencies? These guys were unanimous in becoming dominant franchise players before they were drafted. Stop talking out of your ass to back your false statement.

Durant was skinny, no passing skills, no handles, and no apparent defensive skill other than the potential he had due to his size. That Durant shot 33% from the floor in summer league. Was considered only a scorer.

Lebron was known for not having a range in his shot - he is still that same dude after 15 years. And he was a poor defender.

AD did not have the lick of a jump shot. And he still cannot spread the floor properly from outside. He was known for his mobility and defense. And that made him a generational talent.

Now you can sit the [expletive] down, son. If you can't credit anyone, don't [expletive]ing go out of your way to attack people. You sound bitter and bitter only.

fXlFKv8.gif

#469 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 8,167 posts

Posted July 17, 2017 - 01:34 AM

fXlFKv8.gif

#470 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 10,091 posts

Posted July 17, 2017 - 01:38 AM

Nobody is setting high expectations for him. The expectations were there since he was in college. Just like KD, MJ, Lebron, Magic and all other legendary figures in NBA had at the very beginning of their journey. What you want to argue is that, he does not have what it takes to continue doing this, hence you are attacking everyone who is celebrating his success, and in a very dishonest way. Exploiting the holes in his game, disregarding his generational passing talent is same as trying to hide the sun with your palm.

The kid WINS while he is doing what he does. And all the atmosphere changed for the positive. It doesn't take a genius to figure the reason why the Lakers team with a bunch of G-league talent were able to win against a legit NBA squad (Nets) in a competitive game.

You continue to spew [expletive] that has nothing to do with my argument. You want to see him generational now, fine. But if he fails to become what you want him to be and you start criticizing him, then please do everyone a favor and leave.

I'm not going to argue with a person who wants to spin my neutral conservative status as hate. To each his own.

I'll get back to you on October 31st in the game day thread.
  • Busty Bluth likes this

#471 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 10,091 posts

Posted July 17, 2017 - 01:49 AM

Durant was skinny, no passing skills, no handles, and no apparent defensive skill other than the potential he had due to his size. That Durant shot 33% from the floor in summer league. Was considered only a scorer.
Lebron was known for not having a range in his shot - he is still that same dude after 15 years. And he was a poor defender.
AD did not have the lick of a jump shot. And he still cannot spread the floor properly from outside. He was known for his mobility and defense. And that made him a generational talent.

Now you can sit the [expletive] down, son. If you can't credit anyone, don't [expletive]ing go out of your way to attack people. You sound bitter and bitter only.

You proved to everyone that you have no knowledge about the game of basketball by comparing Lonzo Balls situation as to Kds, LBJ, and AD. Can't argue with a troll. Back under the bridge buddy.
  • Busty Bluth likes this

#472 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 8,167 posts

Posted July 17, 2017 - 01:55 AM

Yeah do come back on October 31.

You can disappear now with your small ball argument. We have a game tomorrow.

fXlFKv8.gif

#473 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 10,091 posts

Posted July 17, 2017 - 01:58 AM

Yeah do come back on October 31.

You can disappear now with your small ball argument. We have a game tomorrow.

Summer league game*

#474 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,425 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 17, 2017 - 02:04 AM

Kevin Pelton @kpelton 

I feel sorry for people who are too busy complaining about Lonzo Ball hype to enjoy watching him play.

Bingo.

•    , Jackson and ChichoGarcy like this

#475 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 10,091 posts

Posted July 17, 2017 - 02:07 AM

Bingo.

His summer league play in the full court has been pretty phenomenal.
  • Busty Bluth likes this

#476 BleedPurple&Gold

BleedPurple&Gold

Superstar

• 7,223 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic

Posted July 17, 2017 - 04:03 AM

Love what I'm seeing from Ball. Def is turning me into an believer. I still have my worries about him tho. Still see holes in his game. But let's wait and see when he has coaches that enables a defense system to stop him. And has longer, faster, bigger, defenders guarding him.

Edited by BleedPurple&Gold, July 17, 2017 - 04:05 AM.

9888d4ba-ad6b-4879-93aa-9ef1c6ed1dbd_zps

#477 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 8,462 posts

Posted July 17, 2017 - 04:32 AM

Not really worried about Ball's game translating against actual pros.

Will he struggle, sure...but SL is still basketball. It's not table tennis...granted it's against weaker competition, he's not going to forget how to pass the ball or look ahead or do what he does best. I think the game will be easier for him playing next to actual NBA players. The defense will be better, so he's not going to be Magic 2.0, but nevertheless I think he'll have a good season.

He's racking up the most APG in SL history playing next to G-Leaguers. Give him guys like Brook, Ingram, KCP and runners like Nance, Randle, JC...it's going to work very well for both sides.

There are definitely weaknesses with this guy, as there are with all young PG's, but what he's doing out there deserves proper recognition and respect, SL or not.

Edited by Massacre, July 17, 2017 - 04:33 AM.

• GenkiSushi,    , JGuez and 4 others like this

#478 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 6,848 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted July 17, 2017 - 04:58 AM

Thing i like about Ball hype is that the kid is so damn quiet and reserved...and yet its blowing up around him.

Even in his interviews...eye contact, respectful, answers briefly (usually 2 sentences) w generic praise, and always spreads any glory around to others.

Pretty robotic but im liking what ive seen.

In a very good rookie class with what?...maybe 7 guys who could end up being ROY?

• bfc1125roy likes this

Praying for  1. Youngsters Ballin (Didn't really happen on a consistent basis at all) 2. Miracle Trade (Also didn't happen. And we traded our best player for chump change) 3. Kick Ass Rooks (Zubac exceeded, Ingram tried but disappointed overall)

READY FOR SEASON TO BE OVER!!!

#479 Artest37

Artest37

Rookie

• 751 posts
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Lonzo Ball BBB!

Posted July 17, 2017 - 06:14 AM

For future reference when you say someone "does a 360" in terms of opinion, you're implying they are spinning all the way around and then ending up in the same direction (I.e. - opinion is the same).

I think you were going for "did a 180"

Re: Lonzo , I'm seeing a trend. Some positive people are excited and use superlatives to express themselves, which is fine imo. These are subjective opinions and can't really be proved one way or another until we get some real data.

Others seem to take a sort of personal offense to positive opinions and like pop peoples balloons or take a pessimist approach, which is also ok and just another opinion that can't be proven either with real data.

So go on posting whatever opinions you have, but I'd suggest keeping the personal attacks down, both sides are Lakers fans at the end of the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Xinxin, PurpleNgoldBanners and martin90 like this

Twitter : @_PurpleReign_

Posted Image

#480 martin90

martin90

Off The Bench

• 1,707 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 17, 2017 - 06:31 AM

For future reference when you say someone "does a 360" in terms of opinion, you're implying they are spinning all the way around and then ending up in the same direction (I.e. - opinion is the same).

I think you were going for "did a 180"

lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users