2467 replies to this topic

#2381 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 18,526 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted February 08, 2019 - 01:47 PM

I’m glad the eye test reflects this stat.

#2382 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 9,766 posts

Posted February 08, 2019 - 02:21 PM

Rondo’s defense has definitely highlighted how important Zo was in that regard.

We’ll need him back soon. Might be ahead of schedule.
  • GCMD likes this

#2383 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 25,643 posts

Posted February 08, 2019 - 02:50 PM

Sucks because rondo was every bit as good as lonzo in his youth defensively but age takes away defense first offense second
Posted Image

#2384 RobBlake

RobBlake

Starter

• 4,721 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted February 08, 2019 - 06:36 PM

Sucks because rondo was every bit as good as lonzo in his youth defensively but age takes away defense first offense second

Imagine having both Fisher and rondo back in the day. Fights 24/7
  • Persian Gulf likes this

ap1.png

#2385 Aykut Purde

Aykut Purde

Rookie

• 634 posts
  • Name:Aykut
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted February 09, 2019 - 02:27 AM

I think people are bit harsh about Rondo's D. He was a great help defender, taking charges, playing the lanes and of course standing his ground against similar sized PG's. But he was never a great one on one defender or a post defender who held his ground against bigger guards. Now that we get to watch him on a nightly basis and some teams take advantage of P&R against him makes us think he regressed a lot on defensive end. He might have a little bit but i don't think he is a liability like everybody suddenly started thinking.

• GCMD and BasketballIQ like this

Welcome Bron.

#2386 RobBlake

RobBlake

Starter

• 4,721 posts

Posted February 09, 2019 - 10:19 AM

Let's be honest. There aren't many great guard stoppers at pg position
  • GCMD likes this

ap1.png

#2387 RobBlake

RobBlake

Starter

• 4,721 posts

Posted February 09, 2019 - 10:19 AM

Let's be honest. There aren't many great guard stoppers at pg position

ap1.png

#2388 BigBaller

BigBaller

Rookie

• 91 posts
  • Fan Since:84
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted February 09, 2019 - 11:15 AM

D'aaron Fox was the better pick by FAR!  

#2389 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 15,966 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted February 12, 2019 - 12:41 PM

I'm willing to bet that once Lonzo gets back and Rondo can come off the bench like he should, Rondo's play will look much better on both ends.

There's no doubt we are missing Lonzo on the defensive end.  His ability to feel where the ball is going and put himself in the right spot helped spark a lot of our transition plays.

And has anyone else noticed how much better we are passing as a team when Lonzo is out there vs Rondo?  I knew Lonzo's passing was good but I thought that Rondo would still be ahead of him at this point...I'm not so sure about that.

• LACAS likes this

#2390 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 15,966 posts

Posted February 12, 2019 - 12:50 PM

#2391 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 11,998 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989

Posted February 12, 2019 - 01:01 PM

I'm willing to bet that once Lonzo gets back and Rondo can come off the bench like he should, Rondo's play will look much better on both ends.

There's no doubt we are missing Lonzo on the defensive end.  His ability to feel where the ball is going and put himself in the right spot helped spark a lot of our transition plays.

And has anyone else noticed how much better we are passing as a team when Lonzo is out there vs Rondo?  I knew Lonzo's passing was good but I thought that Rondo would still be ahead of him at this point...I'm not so sure about that.

the kid really does make the team better. pushes the tempo, his defense and passing is infectious. even though rondo is his own player, when lonzo sis, he comes in and keeps it going. team is not as a good without lonzo and that is real. even with his shooting issues, they are just flat out better with him

• GCMD likes this

#2392 BigBaller

BigBaller

Rookie

• 91 posts

Posted February 12, 2019 - 10:11 PM

But would you prefer to have Fox or Tatum?  Most would.

It's funny how you guys have to go out of your way to make a case for Lonzo. 

When we talk about great young players like Fox or Tatum, their greatness is self-evident.  I don't see him on the Lakers after next year, and I'm hoping he gets traded or bought out in the near future.

the kid really does make the team better. pushes the tempo, his defense and passing is infectious. even though rondo is his own player, when lonzo sis, he comes in and keeps it going. team is not as a good without lonzo and that is real. even with his shooting issues, they are just flat out better with him

#2393 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 11,998 posts

Posted February 13, 2019 - 11:12 AM

But would you prefer to have Fox or Tatum?  Most would.

It's funny how you guys have to go out of your way to make a case for Lonzo. 

When we talk about great young players like Fox or Tatum, their greatness is self-evident.  I don't see him on the Lakers after next year, and I'm hoping he gets traded or bought out in the near future.

I do not know about the "you guys" talk. I am speaking for myself. If you do not notice the little difference that he brings to the team. Not many people in my memory said that they wanted Fox or Tatum at the time of the draft. Hindsight is something ain't it? It is easy to say now that we see these other kids play how much better they are today oppose to back then coming out if college. I am not making up excuse or going out of my way to state the obvious with Lonzo. The same talk about shooting was talked about with Fox and some folk stated that Ingram was better than Tatum coming out of Duke.

And with Magic in charge, I would not see any of these (Lonzo, Fox or Tatum) because they'd all be traded eventually if it were in his will. If the Lakers had Tatum, maybe AD would be already... Hahaha. So I guess in the scheme of things, Tatum would be the better player (in Dell's opinion) because he would net the Lakers AD. lol

that is funny

#2394 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 25,643 posts

Posted February 13, 2019 - 11:25 AM

I will say fox was my number 1 guy during that draft who I wanted
  • FranklinPeanuts likes this
Posted Image

#2395 BigBaller

BigBaller

Rookie

• 91 posts

Posted February 13, 2019 - 09:38 PM

So Lonzo brings "a little difference" to the team.  Ok.  We need much better than Lonzo to win a Championship.  If we had picked Fox, we would be talking about a blossoming superstar.  Choosing Lonzo over Fox was a BIG mistake.

Letting go of D'Angelo Russell didn't seem like a mistake at the time, and maybe it was the right move, but none of us deny that he is balling out in Brooklyn.  He's the youngest player in NBA history to hit 500 threes.

I do not know about the "you guys" talk. I am speaking for myself. If you do not notice the little difference that he brings to the team. Not many people in my memory said that they wanted Fox or Tatum at the time of the draft. Hindsight is something ain't it? It is easy to say now that we see these other kids play how much better they are today oppose to back then coming out if college. I am not making up excuse or going out of my way to state the obvious with Lonzo. The same talk about shooting was talked about with Fox and some folk stated that Ingram was better than Tatum coming out of Duke.

And with Magic in charge, I would not see any of these (Lonzo, Fox or Tatum) because they'd all be traded eventually if it were in his will. If the Lakers had Tatum, maybe AD would be already... Hahaha. So I guess in the scheme of things, Tatum would be the better player (in Dell's opinion) because he would net the Lakers AD. lol

that is funny

#2396 BORNINLA

BORNINLA

Rookie

• 1,348 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted February 14, 2019 - 11:19 AM

So Lonzo brings "a little difference" to the team. Ok. We need much better than Lonzo to win a Championship. If we had picked Fox, we would be talking about a blossoming superstar. Choosing Lonzo over Fox was a BIG mistake.

Letting go of D'Angelo Russell didn't seem like a mistake at the time, and maybe it was the right move, but none of us deny that he is balling out in Brooklyn. He's the youngest player in NBA history to hit 500 threes.

Did the Mavericks make a mistake in drafting Steve Nash? Did Phoenix make a mistake in trading for Steve Nash? What about GP who averaged 9 and 6 his second year?

Its all about how players are used. Lonzo was thriving running the team with Lebron being injured. However, without Lebron they had no one who could dominate when needed. For some reason Ball tends to defer to Lebron once he past half court which is the biggest issue I have with Walton. I cant remember the last time Lonzo and Lebron ran a pick n roll.

Fox would be in the same boat with limited shots on this team without stopping anyone

Edited by BORNINLA, February 14, 2019 - 11:20 AM.

#2397 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 11,998 posts

Posted February 14, 2019 - 12:21 PM

So Lonzo brings "a little difference" to the team.  Ok.  We need much better than Lonzo to win a Championship.  If we had picked Fox, we would be talking about a blossoming superstar.  Choosing Lonzo over Fox was a BIG mistake.

Letting go of D'Angelo Russell didn't seem like a mistake at the time, and maybe it was the right move, but none of us deny that he is balling out in Brooklyn.  He's the youngest player in NBA history to hit 500 threes.

That is cool, but he is not here, Lonzo is. So, all that means nothing.

• GCMD likes this

#2398 BigBaller

BigBaller

Rookie

• 91 posts

Posted February 14, 2019 - 12:35 PM

Wrong.  Fox would be balling out on the Lakers, just like he's doing in SAC.  

Steve Nash was infinitely better than Airball.  Horrible comparison!

Lonzo Ball will not be a Laker past next season (if he makes it that far). 

Did the Mavericks make a mistake in drafting Steve Nash? Did Phoenix make a mistake in trading for Steve Nash? What about GP who averaged 9 and 6 his second year?

Its all about how players are used. Lonzo was thriving running the team with Lebron being injured. However, without Lebron they had no one who could dominate when needed. For some reason Ball tends to defer to Lebron once he past half court which is the biggest issue I have with Walton. I cant remember the last time Lonzo and Lebron ran a pick n roll.

Fox would be in the same boat with limited shots on this team without stopping anyone

#2399 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 9,766 posts

Posted February 14, 2019 - 12:55 PM

Lonzo is more important to this team than people realize, and much more than people want to give him credit for.

We don’t necessarily need LeBron to go God mode to get into the playoffs. Lonzo was making good progress in dictating the flow of the game and imposing LA’s style on it. Call it LeCoast, call it aging, whatever, LeBron is clearly not 100% engaged right now and it would do him and this team a solid if we actually let Lonzo play the point guard position and do what he does best...defend and make plays for others.

Edited by Massacre, February 14, 2019 - 12:57 PM.

#2400 noknife

noknife

Starter

• 4,630 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted February 14, 2019 - 01:48 PM

Kuz puts up better numbers than fox and he is gonna be 1 of 7 getting traded for AD this offseason. Nice player, not what the Lakers need.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

3 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

noknife, Massacre, Jackson, Bing (2)