• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#41 had

had

Rookie

• 28 posts
  • Fan Since:1988

Posted June 23, 2017 - 05:03 PM

Maybe Russell wasn’t ready for the expectations, and his character flaws shone through instead of his talent.  God knows it’s a lot to ask from a 19 year old, to lead this team, so there’s no shame in struggling with it.  And I don’t think the Lakers did him any favors conducting his first season as a Kobe Bryant farewell chuck-a-thon.  I think there’s blame on both sides.

He seems like a good kid, and I imagine this must hurt.  It’s a shame.

Here’s hoping he grows up and fully commits. There's still time.  He can be special.

• Jody Smokes likes this

#42 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

Superstar

• 7,172 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted June 23, 2017 - 05:26 PM

I hope Russell shines and reaches his full potential in each of the 80 games he plays.  However, in the remaining 2 against my Lakers, he better have an off-night haha.

• GCMD likes this

#43 Japago

Japago

Starter

• 4,212 posts
  • Name:Pat
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 23, 2017 - 09:20 PM

Don't the Lakers have the right to punt on a player who was supposed to be the leader but they felt couldn't lead?  Or was leading in a direction they didn't want to go?

Don't the Lakers have a right to assign the value THEY see for their players without pandering to the fans?

This argument seems to always return to "I don't understand".  That's not a good enough reason to claim it was a mistake.  I understand that you felt they should have done things differently but I contend that you don't know everything that was going on behind closed doors...

For proof of that, who here actually thought Russell couldn't get you the 12th pick OR Luke Kennard in a trade?  I didn't.  I thought he'd get us the 8th pick from NY and I'm not even a fan of Russell's potential like others...

We didn't and don't know how much these guys are worth and holding on to them isn't always an option...so why does any fan (especially ones who were so wrong about his value) think they know what's best for the Lakers?  Or can PROVE that Russell would have been more valuable in 6-8 months?  Or that Russell would not have divided the lockerroom because he felt the Lakers pushing him out?

It's cool to discuss our opinions but you have people talking about watching THE NETS because of their outrage?  LOL...

I'm not arguing whether or not the front office and coaches are right. I'm just saying that's what they're thinking. I don't think cap space in 2018 or Brook Lopez were the key factor in the trade.

I don't doubt that D'Angelo's value was very low. They tried moving trading him to the Mavericks for #9 and they said no.

I think he still has a little bit of a chance to be good. Not nearly as much as others here. I don't think he made enough of a jump for me in year 2. But, any player who has any amount of chance at being good shouldn't be given up on like this. I don't think the Lakers should "go for it" until one of their core players develops into a good player. So, future cap relief wasn't good enough value for me on that front. They should've just kept him for now.

All that really matters in the end in when we're judging this move is how D'Angelo does from here on out.

#44 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Do you wanna tickle my big ol' long toes?

• 11,536 posts

Posted June 23, 2017 - 10:25 PM

Millenials stick together because of how lazy they are.

I like to dip my feet in toilet water & smell them.

#45 ChichoGarcy

ChichoGarcy

Rookie

• 939 posts
  • Name:Chicho
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted June 23, 2017 - 10:44 PM

Goodbye, some of us won't be missing you at all but still think we could have got something better in this trade. Good luck.

#46 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 3,372 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted June 24, 2017 - 09:00 AM

Magic on Russell trade: http://www.espn.com/...s-needed-leader

"D'Angelo is an excellent player,"

"He has the talent to be an All-Star. We want to thank him for what he did for us. But what I needed was a leader. I needed somebody also that can make the other players better and also [somebody] that players want to play with."

"Look at my face," Johnson said, smiling. "Do you see that smile? Do you see it? OK, then. I've always bet on myself, right? I'm fine where we are. I'm happy. I'm excited. Lakers fans should be excited. We're back."

"When you have this much cap space, we're going to be major players next summer. The tide has turned. People want to play here again. It's exciting times for the L.A. Lakers. I wouldn't have made that move if I didn't think I could use that money. Enough said."

#47 manaro90

manaro90

Starter

• 5,212 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 24, 2017 - 09:33 AM

Magic said he traded D'angelo because he wasn't a leader and players didn't want to play with him!!! How does that make you feel D'angelo stans?? Magic didn't pull that out his azz !! You know he asked some of the players how they felt playing with that boy!! You were so blindly in love with D'angelo yall looked past game after game he would shot jack even when he was ice cold !! That happened alot before all-star break!! Stat padding is all that boy did.. He only stepped his play up after all star break because he admitted with Magic being hired he feared for his job!! THE BOY WAS SELFISH.!! He also played well because the teams The Lakers played , majority of them after all star break was either in auto pilot until the playoffs started or they were trying to lose games to secure a good draft spot.. That boy DLo didn't do a damn thing to show his worth and damn sho didn't make teammates better or want to play with him.. Goodluck D'angelo.. Stroke your ego in Brooklyn... Be like Fultz.. Look good and not win a damn thing.! And to you little D'angelo fan boys..  Take yo ass over to Brooklyn.. THIS LAKER NATION BABY!!! LAKERS WE HERE!!

Cologne, Germany Baby! LAKERS FOR LIFE.  |   Add me Instagram: princealaddin90

#48 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted June 24, 2017 - 09:48 AM

Magic said he traded D'angelo because he wasn't a leader and players didn't want to play with him!!! How does that make you feel D'angelo stans?? Magic didn't pull that out his azz !! You know he asked some of the players how they felt playing with that boy!! You were so blindly in love with D'angelo yall looked past game after game he would shot jack even when he was ice cold !! That happened alot before all-star break!! Stat padding is all that boy did.. He only stepped his play up after all star break because he admitted with Magic being hired he feared for his job!! THE BOY WAS SELFISH.!! He also played well because the teams The Lakers played , majority of them after all star break was either in auto pilot until the playoffs started or they were trying to lose games to secure a good draft spot.. That boy DLo didn't do a damn thing to show his worth and damn sho didn't make teammates better or want to play with him.. Goodluck D'angelo.. Stroke your ego in Brooklyn... Be like Fultz.. Look good and not win a damn thing.! And to you little D'angelo fan boys..  Take yo ass over to Brooklyn.. THIS LAKER NATION BABY!!! LAKERS WE HERE!!

And with that manaro has now cursed the situation  :D   Now D'lo is gonna drop 27 a game and lead the Nets to the playoffs.  :ph34r: 

Thanks a lot manaro!  <_<

;)

• manaro90 likes this

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#49 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,062 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted June 24, 2017 - 12:37 PM

Magic on Russell trade: http://www.espn.com/...s-needed-leader

"D'Angelo is an excellent player,"

"He has the talent to be an All-Star. We want to thank him for what he did for us. But what I needed was a leader. I needed somebody also that can make the other players better and also [somebody] that players want to play with."

"Look at my face," Johnson said, smiling. "Do you see that smile? Do you see it? OK, then. I've always bet on myself, right? I'm fine where we are. I'm happy. I'm excited. Lakers fans should be excited. We're back."

"When you have this much cap space, we're going to be major players next summer. The tide has turned. People want to play here again. It's exciting times for the L.A. Lakers. I wouldn't have made that move if I didn't think I could use that money. Enough said."

We arent anywhere.

YET.

Saying we're back is downright ridiculous.

Also wrong.

Could we be if 3 or 4 things happen in next 15 months?

Sure.

Until then...we are not back.

Nowhere near back.

• JGuez, Majesty, Ventiquattro and 1 other like this

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#50 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts

Posted June 24, 2017 - 12:43 PM

We arent anywhere.

YET.

Also wrong.

Sure.

Nowhere near back.

See but it isn't Mitch or Jim saying it... so it's not being considered ridiculous by the people that would call it ridiculous had it come from Jim or Mitch's mouth.

heck if Magic stood up tomorrow and said "If we don't win a championship in 3 years, I'll step down."  People will call it ballsy, and they definitely won't bring it up constantly like a doomsday clock, and will likely have an excuse ready for why it hasn't happened yet, cause of stuff 'you can't predict'. 

Edited by Majesty, June 24, 2017 - 12:44 PM.

• JGuez likes this

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#51 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 3,372 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted June 24, 2017 - 01:11 PM

We arent anywhere.

YET.

Also wrong.

Sure.

Nowhere near back.

Definitely did a double take when I read that.  Speaking things into existence is our new theme it seems lol.  

Edited by lakerfan98, June 24, 2017 - 01:11 PM.

#52 dazz

dazz

Rookie

• 1,164 posts
  • Fan Since:Mid 80's

Posted June 24, 2017 - 02:05 PM

I'm willing to give Magic the benefit of the doubt, but he sounds like a snake-oil sales man

• Majesty likes this

2lc8cvr.jpg

#53 manaro90

manaro90

Starter

• 5,212 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 24, 2017 - 02:18 PM

And with that manaro has now cursed the situation  :D   Now D'lo is gonna drop 27 a game and lead the Nets to the playoffs.  :ph34r: 

Thanks a lot manaro!  <_<

;)

hahahaha dont you worry..

Cologne, Germany Baby! LAKERS FOR LIFE.  |   Add me Instagram: princealaddin90

#54 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

Superstar

• 7,172 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted June 24, 2017 - 03:11 PM

So let's talk about Randle guys.

What do you guys project his stats to be next season?  3FG% included haha

Edited by LakeShow1o1, June 24, 2017 - 03:12 PM.

#55 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,062 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted June 24, 2017 - 03:49 PM

He may get a lot more touches if he remains a laker.

What with Brook being able to lure defense outside.

Might free up JR around the hoop where he's a lot better.

I'm trying to figure out Lakers FIRST OPTION next season as of roster right now?

Brook?

JR?

Clarkson?

Im going to take a leap and say Clarkson, but i think many will disagree.

Who knows.

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#56 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,928 posts

Posted June 24, 2017 - 03:52 PM

I'm not arguing whether or not the front office and coaches are right. I'm just saying that's what they're thinking. I don't think cap space in 2018 or Brook Lopez were the key factor in the trade.

I don't doubt that D'Angelo's value was very low. They tried moving trading him to the Mavericks for #9 and they said no.

I think he still has a little bit of a chance to be good. Not nearly as much as others here. I don't think he made enough of a jump for me in year 2. But, any player who has any amount of chance at being good shouldn't be given up on like this. I don't think the Lakers should "go for it" until one of their core players develops into a good player. So, future cap relief wasn't good enough value for me on that front. They should've just kept him for now.

All that really matters in the end in when we're judging this move is how D'Angelo does from here on out.

I understand your point.  I don't mind the reset.  Russell may have had good stats but the team looked like trash.

Even if Russell becomes an Allstar, that doesn't mean he would have here.  I've been saying the same thing about Randle and I have been saying we should trade him because he doesn't fit and would be better elsewhere.

You can't worry about drafting the wrong person 2-3 years later.  All you can do is move them and move on.  If Russell becomes the next Harden on the Nets but we win the NBA Championship, I wouldn't care about losing Russell...those 2 things are not intricately intertwined.

tenor.gif

#57 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,928 posts

Posted June 24, 2017 - 03:52 PM

He's gone by the trade deadline so not sure it will matter too much, LOL...

tenor.gif

#58 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts

Posted June 24, 2017 - 05:14 PM

The Lakers have a center that's bad at pick and roll defense, 'aright' at rim protection and help side, doesn't rebound, and prefers to shoot jumpers but does have a back to the basket game when needed. 

Thus, is a perfect fit next to Randle :ph34r:  

Randle will get a lot of rebounds off his misses, but also won't be fighting him for rebounds on the other end and would be pushing the ball more, which is obviously what Luke wants. 

Edited by Majesty, June 24, 2017 - 05:15 PM.

#59 Klewfish

Klewfish

Reppin' LA on the East Coast

• 2,196 posts
  • Name:Chris
  • Fan Since:Game 4 of 2000 NBA Finals

Posted June 25, 2017 - 11:24 AM

If Magic drafted Lonzo to be the "leader" because he didn't think Russell could be, why did those have to be independent things? We could have kept Russell, still drafted Lonzo and let Lonzo take that leadership role while still allowing Russell to be a cornerstone of the franchise. I liked watching Russell play and think he's gotten the short end of the stick so far in his career, but hoping this turns out to be a good move. 

• Jody Smokes likes this
Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.

#60 Ring Chaser

Ring Chaser

The Innovators

• 1,716 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Lonzo "ZO2" Ball

Posted June 25, 2017 - 11:45 AM

Magic Johnson On D'Angelo Russell: I Needed Somebody Players Want To Play With

JUN 24, 2017 2:49 PM

Russell_Dangelo_lal_151014.jpg

Magic Johnson was critical of D'Angelo Russell in his comments after the Los Angeles Lakers traded him to the Brooklyn Nets in a move that frees up cap space and makes it clear that Lonzo Ball will be their face of the franchise.

"I'm going to do what it takes to get the right players in here with the right mindset," Johnson said. "D'Angelo is an excellent player. He has the talent to be an All-Star. We want to thank him for what he did for us, but what I needed was a leader. I needed somebody also that can make the other players better, and also that players want to play with."

The Lakers drafted Russell with the second overall pick in the 2015 NBA draft, but used his potential to clear out Timofey Mozgov's contract while also acquiring Brook Lopez and the 27th overall pick.

REALGM STAFF REPORT

"If you're going to lose, you have to lose because you can't be in the middle of the pack. You either have to be great or you have to be bad to get a good pick" - Earvin Magic Johnson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users