#1 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

Superstar

• 7,116 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted June 22, 2017 - 02:00 PM

Before the draft I'm just going to take some time to reflect upon Russell, he certainly was one of the most interesting characters to ever wear a Laker uniform for such a short amount of time.  Not specifically due to his individual personality, character, or basketball ability, but more-so due to the spotlight, role, and tremendous pressure that he was burdened with.

Considering the position the Lakers were in when he was drafted, it would be no easy task to thrive in such an environment and role.  With a coach such as Byron Scott (statistically one of the worst of all time) leading the way and calling the shots your rookie season, as well as making an attempt to find your way and transition into the league during Kobe's retirement tour, the odd's were certainly stacked against him knowing very well the Lakers were headed towards a complete rebuild.  Playing for a decorated franchise such as the Lakers whom have been spoiled with the likes of Kobe, Magic, and a handful of prestigious Hall of Fame guards is like stepping foot into a pair of shoes you certainly won't fit in.  The expectations of a player selected with the #2 overall pick placed in the bright lights of LA following Kobe's historic tenure only has two possible outcomes.  You either thrive and show that you have the ability to make an immediate impact, or you struggle to stay afloat.

Out of the gates, Russell struggled to find consistency both in his game as well as in the lineup.  There were flashes and spurts in which he showed that he could potentially be the next big thing, but there were also times in which there was a clear lack of motivation and desire.  At the end of the day, he's only 21 years of age and had a lot of learning to do.  Unfortunately, this is a very impatient fan-base that was not only fed up with losing, but also fed up with current management and the direction the team had fallen into.  To top if all off, immediately once the Nick Young circus escalated, his public portrayal throughout the league and especially in LA would never be the same.  If a picture of a fellow teammate working out was posted, but Russell wasn't found in view, questions would arise.  If rumors of Russell dating a given model or celebrity were released despite his teammate clearly being tied to that individual, questions would arise.  He was placed in a position where if he had done right, it would have been expected of him, but had he done wrong, it would have been painted as an elaborate story questioning his character.  He would now be closely monitored, and every action, even something as simple as a change in his hairdo would result in some type of critique or concern that questions his work ethic and motives as a player.  

At the end of the day, my only question is why is it that so many fans felt this way?  Never before had I come across a young player with such promising basketball abilities be so heavily critiqued and bashed by his own fan base.  From a statistical stand-point, he was placing up historic numbers.  When compared to other top ranked players in his draft class, he was right there with the best of them.  Even in the case of Brandon Ingram, a player in which many fans and even Magic Johnson himself viewed has "untouchable", Russell too blew his rookie numbers out of the water despite averaging less playing time.

Best of luck in Brooklyn DLoading, I can only wish you the best of success and that moving to Brooklyn turns a new page but also lifts a large burden off of your shoulders.

P.S. This one is for all the Russell cult members.

Edited by LakeShow1o1, June 22, 2017 - 02:00 PM.

• JGuez, Jody Smokes, kball and 1 other like this

#2 martin90

martin90

Off The Bench

• 1,708 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 22, 2017 - 02:03 PM

who??

• kidpolean, Rekal and LACAS like this

#3 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

Superstar

• 7,116 posts

Posted June 22, 2017 - 02:04 PM

https://media.giphy....PXos0/giphy.gif

#4 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

Superstar

• 7,116 posts

Posted June 22, 2017 - 02:04 PM

who??

Cares

#5 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 12,702 posts
  • Fan Since:Late '80s
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 22, 2017 - 02:27 PM

I know activity is way down with the off season and because the team has been garbage, but was surprised there was no appreciation thread after this happened...was genuinely curious how long it would take, or if one would come at all.  

anyway, please keep the thread about the topic, thanking russell for his time here.  if you don't wish to do that, post in one of his other threads

• Busty Bluth likes this

Posted Image

#6 LACAS

LACAS

Off The Bench

• 2,196 posts
  • Name:CAS
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted June 22, 2017 - 02:48 PM

Thanks DLo; I was never entirely sold on you however I was surprised (somewhat) to see you get traded nevertheless I wish you all the best.

#7 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 3,818 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted June 22, 2017 - 03:07 PM

Thanks DLo. You were a common denominator on the 2 worst Lakers team in franchise history. You will best be remembered for destroying a locker room, having the Lakers totally overreach and draft you at 2, and for doing the little "ice in my veins" dance during a meaningless regular season game when you were already mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. Enjoy Brooklyn and best of luck in all your future endeavors.
  • Oasis Lover likes this

#8 Chick Stern

Chick Stern

Rookie

• 824 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Big 4: West/Kareem/Magic/Kobe

Posted June 22, 2017 - 03:37 PM

D'Glo has moobs. They don't need moobs on the Lakers. (His ex is a'ight tho)
DAngelo-Russell-girlfriend-Niki-Withers.

my 2 cents - he grew up a Celt fan, and never really committed to being a Laker.

Edited by Chick Stern, June 22, 2017 - 03:40 PM.

"You can't get much done in life if you only work on the days when you feel good."

--Jerry West

#9 JGuez

JGuez

All-Star

• 5,999 posts

Posted June 22, 2017 - 04:04 PM

anyway, please keep the thread about the topic, thanking russell for his time here.  if you don't wish to do that, post in one of his other threads

#10 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 26,897 posts
  • Name:Byron "Buster AKA Busty" Bluth

Posted June 22, 2017 - 04:34 PM

I was looking for this thread yesterday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Buster_bcfa40_2218659_zpsbf0d8a7a.gif

#11 artemis

artemis

Bruin

• 1,669 posts
  • Name:Artemis
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Lamar, Pau, Horry

Posted June 22, 2017 - 07:44 PM

I'm conflicted. Thank you DLO!

“It is by chance that we met, by choice that we became friends.”

Posted Image

rest in paradise bestie matt
8.13.1992 - 9.27.2010

#12 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 25,659 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted June 22, 2017 - 07:51 PM

Good luck with the Nets. Sure you will kill it. 

• Majesty likes this

#13 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,527 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted June 22, 2017 - 08:02 PM

Dlo was hated by many. But I loved him.

After Kobe's injury...my saddest day as a Lakers fan other than Game 4 of 08 Finals
  • Jody Smokes likes this

#14 lakersince75

lakersince75

Sixth Man

• 3,121 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted June 23, 2017 - 01:18 AM

Thanks for the 2017 picks!!!

#15 stillshining

stillshining

Off The Bench

• 2,015 posts
  • Name:Adam
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:Slava Medvedenko

Posted June 23, 2017 - 01:39 AM

Dlo was hated by many. But I loved him.

After Kobe's injury...my saddest day as a Lakers fan other than Game 4 of 08 Finals

Lmao!
Anyways I'm not going to lie and say I'll miss him but I do hope he gets his opportunity to shine with a good coach in Atkinson.

#16 manaro90

manaro90

Starter

• 5,198 posts
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted June 23, 2017 - 02:03 AM

thank you d.fish

• Jackson likes this

Cologne, Germany Baby! LAKERS FOR LIFE.  |   Add me Instagram: princealaddin90

#17 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 8,484 posts

Posted June 23, 2017 - 02:36 AM

DLo will put up an easy 20/5/5 season next season. Appreciate this kid performing under the bright lights and scrutinization for the better part of 2 years. Hope he absolutely kills it and makes the Lakers regret giving up on him so soon.
  • Majesty likes this

#18 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,017 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted June 23, 2017 - 03:22 AM

Gonna miss his confidence and shooting stroke.

And his quick-how-did-the-ball-just-get-through-there passes.

Also the crap year we had to endure just to get that pick that turned into him was Brutal.

Cost of doing business when things go wrong (Moz signing more than DLO not living up to expectations) is certainly high.

...and are hoping to return to relevance let alone contention.

Good luck Dlo

Edited by kball, June 23, 2017 - 03:23 AM.

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#19 manaro90

manaro90

Starter

• 5,198 posts
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted June 23, 2017 - 08:11 AM

Best of luck in Brooklyn DLoading, I can only wish you the best of success and that moving to Brooklyn turns a new page but also lifts a large burden off of your shoulders.

Preach. He will rise to glance in the east. I swear. 20-8. 

Cologne, Germany Baby! LAKERS FOR LIFE.  |   Add me Instagram: princealaddin90

#20 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted June 23, 2017 - 08:15 AM

Gonna miss his confidence and shooting stroke.

And his quick-how-did-the-ball-just-get-through-there passes.

Also the crap year we had to endure just to get that pick that turned into him was Brutal.

Cost of doing business when things go wrong (Moz signing more than DLO not living up to expectations) is certainly high.

...and are hoping to return to relevance let alone contention.

Good luck Dlo

Some Lakers fans don't appreciate other players till they aren't Lakers anymore.  

if Russell puts up 20/5/5 on the Nets next season or more, particularly if the Lakers struggle with not having a real scorer in their starting lineup outside of Mozgov.. then the fans that were against Russell will start wanting him back.   That's how it usually goes.   Some fans don't appreciate what they had till they see them killing it on another team.

The best revenge for D'lo tbh would be playing so well that within the next 4-5 seasons the Lakers are one of the teams trying to go after him to max him in the off-season. 

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users