Photo

Lakers are trading Tim Mozgov and D'Angelo Russell to Nets for Brook Lopez and 27th pick

• Please log in to reply
874 replies to this topic

#841 Japago

Japago

Starter

• 4,212 posts
  • Name:Pat
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 08, 2017 - 01:29 PM

D'Angelo fandom kind of reminds me of Andrew Bynum fandom. Players who have flashes of greatness on this team will just have tremendous loyalty from certain fans, regardless of how big their faults are.

People overlooked Bynum's faults while he was on this team. Apart from the injury concerns, there were also reports about immaturity that fans ignored while he was here. Then, he became a huge headache for every team he played for afterward on top of the knee issues. At least he established himself as an all-star level player already.

We'll see if D'Angelo has those same kind of maturity issues. But yeah, at lot of these conversations feel similar to the conversations we had about Bynum.

• GCMD and ChichoGarcy like this

#842 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

Superstar

• 7,172 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted July 08, 2017 - 01:33 PM

Bynum had a fandom?

Maybe a Bynum Bowling League fandom but I don't think there was any Laker fan that was upset when he was dealt bro...

Edited by LakeShow1o1, July 08, 2017 - 01:33 PM.

#843 Japago

Japago

Starter

• 4,212 posts

Posted July 08, 2017 - 01:40 PM

Bynum had a fandom?

Maybe a Bynum Bowling League fandom but I don't think there was any Laker fan that was upset when he was dealt bro...

Maybe not as many were upset overall because even some of the Bynum fans liked Dwight more, but there was still a division in the fan-base between fans who felt he could be a player to build around going forward and those who didn't. These conversations were heated before the Lakers ended up dealing him for Dwight.

#844 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

Superstar

• 7,172 posts

Posted July 08, 2017 - 01:48 PM

Maybe not as many were upset overall because even some of the Bynum fans liked Dwight more, but there was still a division in the fan-base between fans who felt he could be a player to build around going forward and those who didn't. These conversations were heated before the Lakers ended up dealing him for Dwight.

I don't really remember it that way at all.

A majority of fans realized Bynum's offensive potential but it was clear as day that his injury woes would cut him short and his maturity was also always a big question mark.  When we acquired Dwight, it was all the buzz and I'm pretty certain this forum was at an all time high in both excitement as well as poster activity.  

#845 ChichoGarcy

ChichoGarcy

Rookie

• 940 posts
  • Name:Chicho
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted July 08, 2017 - 03:04 PM

Bynum had a fandom?

Good Kobe was here, so was Pau and then Metta, they won two rings. Bynum had less chances of having lots of fans. D'lo was a part of the worst Lakers in history, ugly era, still is. In this pathetic times fans hold on to what they can. Of course D'lo had (and has) a fan base, and they seem pretty loyal too. I think that tells you how bad is the place that we are now.

#846 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 08, 2017 - 04:25 PM

D'lo back to watch the Lakers again 

NBALakersNation‏ @NBALakersNation 
DLO & J Cole 
DEPh8_EUQAAtNkf.jpg

NBALakersNation‏ @NBALakersNation 
Fans were telling DLO to come back to LA. Then DLO turned and smiled 😢

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#847 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,154 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted July 08, 2017 - 07:13 PM

I dont have problems pointing out DLo's faults. My biggest gripe has always been a lot of it is rooted in things have nothing to do with basketball.  We even have a certain poster here that said he was annoyed that he kept changing his hairstyle lol.  Like wtf kinda weirdo stuff is that? If they were bball related people would overlook those faults in other players.  DLo had a really solid rookie statline and a better sophomore year yet Ingram got a pass for being god awful for 3/4 of the year. Zubac has a weird cult following even though he hasn't jack [expletive] in the NBA as well.  

D'Angelo fandom kind of reminds me of Andrew Bynum fandom. Players who have flashes of greatness on this team will just have tremendous loyalty from certain fans, regardless of how big their faults are.

People overlooked Bynum's faults while he was on this team. Apart from the injury concerns, there were also reports about immaturity that fans ignored while he was here. Then, he became a huge headache for every team he played for afterward on top of the knee issues. At least he established himself as an all-star level player already.

We'll see if D'Angelo has those same kind of maturity issues. But yeah, at lot of these conversations feel similar to the conversations we had about Bynum.

Edited by Jody Smokes, July 08, 2017 - 07:14 PM.

• Jackson and Majesty like this

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#848 Ventiquattro

Ventiquattro

All-Star

• 6,559 posts

Posted July 08, 2017 - 08:43 PM

Bynum had a fandom?

LOL !!!!!'n

#849 Japago

Japago

Starter

• 4,212 posts

Posted July 09, 2017 - 04:52 PM

I dont have problems pointing out DLo's faults. My biggest gripe has always been a lot of it is rooted in things have nothing to do with basketball.  We even have a certain poster here that said he was annoyed that he kept changing his hairstyle lol.  Like wtf kinda weirdo stuff is that? If they were bball related people would overlook those faults in other players.  DLo had a really solid rookie statline and a better sophomore year yet Ingram got a pass for being god awful for 3/4 of the year. Zubac has a weird cult following even though he hasn't jack [expletive] in the NBA as well.  

The sophomore season is very important, and he didn't improve that much. His efficiency was mediocre. He hovered below 40% on all field goals for most of the season. He shot a pedestrian 35% on 3s, which is supposed to be one of his strengths. His season unraveled fairly similarly to his rookie season, in which he struggled for most of the year and then played better to end the year. I think rookies get a much bigger pass than sophomores. Rightfully so, IMO. I actually felt fine with D'Angelo after his rookie year.  If Ingram doesn't grow from his rookie season, I'll think even less of him than D'Angelo since he had a worse rookie season.

I guess the debate over the trade is just an extension of the debate over how good of a player he actually is.

• Tensai and Jackson like this

#850 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Do you wanna tickle my big ol' long toes?

• 11,536 posts

Posted July 10, 2017 - 12:20 AM

Bynum was a big factor in the back-to-back championships. 

I like to dip my feet in toilet water & smell them.

#851 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 3,372 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted July 10, 2017 - 11:17 AM

Bynum was a big factor in the back-to-back championships. 

Taking out the Celtics best player Kendrick Perkins in game 6 sealed our back to back championships.  Andrew Bynum the real MVP.  Ball hog Kobe 6-24 LOL!!! 

#852 Miggs

Miggs

16x CHAMPS

• 2,699 posts
  • Name:Miguel
  • Fan Since:1988 Finals
  • Fav. Laker:Showtime,Shaq and Kobe

Posted July 10, 2017 - 11:29 AM

I blame the mods for all this garbage being posted on here
"Don't post while drunk, on draft night"

nSLiQqtm.jpg

#853 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

• 11,536 posts

Posted July 10, 2017 - 11:58 AM

West Coast?

#854 Miggs

Miggs

16x CHAMPS

• 2,699 posts
  • Name:Miguel
  • Fan Since:1988 Finals
  • Fav. Laker:Showtime,Shaq and Kobe

Posted July 10, 2017 - 12:14 PM

West Coast?

who ever this thread should have been locked
"Don't post while drunk, on draft night"

nSLiQqtm.jpg

#855 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

• 3,372 posts

Posted July 10, 2017 - 01:26 PM

I can understand being annoyed because Russell is being brought up in every thread but this is the actual Russell thread soooo....

#856 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

• 3,372 posts

Posted July 10, 2017 - 01:32 PM

Personally, I find both sides equally funny.  Some people are losing their minds about trading Russell and others are acting like it happened 20 years ago instead of 20 days.  It's the off season, we haven't done jack in free agency, and our summer league roster is banged up to all hell.....people are going to be talking about the Russell trade for AT LEAST another year.....expecting the convo to end after 3 weeks is laughable.   

#857 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

• 11,536 posts

Posted July 10, 2017 - 09:51 PM

JHiZZLE needs to lock this bad boy up. Too much conflict amongst the South Bay Lakers community.
  • Rekal likes this

#858 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,928 posts

Posted July 10, 2017 - 11:22 PM

Bynum had a fandom?

There were a LOT of anti-Dwight people who hated the trade.

There were a lot of people who talked trash about Kobe wanting to trade Bynum for Jason Kidd.

There were a lot of people who proclaimed Bynum was as good or better than Dwight in many aspects of the game and was also arguably the best Center in the League.

Only thing that kept people from having a bigger outcry about Bynum was Kobe was infinitely more popular and Kobe was on record wanting Bynum out.

If prime Kobe had been on this team and signed off on trading Russell, 95% of Lakers fans would be APPLAUDING this move.  Some people are upset because Russell replaced Kobe as their favorite player and losing him a year after losing Kobe was too much to bear.  It's not because Russell has done anything to warrant this type of loyalty...

• Rekal likes this

tenor.gif

#859 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,928 posts

Posted July 10, 2017 - 11:28 PM

Personally, I find both sides equally funny.  Some people are losing their minds about trading Russell and others are acting like it happened 20 years ago instead of 20 days.  It's the off season, we haven't done jack in free agency, and our summer league roster is banged up to all hell.....people are going to be talking about the Russell trade for AT LEAST another year.....expecting the convo to end after 3 weeks is laughable.   

I don't mind them discussing a trade but they are still lamenting a player that doesn't play for us anymore.  Doesn't make sense because it won't change anything.

Have to move on with what we have...I'm not sure about most people but I'm a fan of what's on the front of the jersey, not what's on the back.  You have some of these guys even saying they will now watch the Nets BECAUSE of Russell!   LOL.

No problem with them being upset but this is a Lakers Board.  If the trade hurts us in a real, OBJECTIVE way in the future, that's worthy of discussion but that could not possibly have happened yet.  Constantly bringing up a player that doesn't play for us?  That's not Lakers related.

• erfolk likes this

tenor.gif

#860 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

Superstar

• 7,172 posts

Posted July 11, 2017 - 12:29 AM

There were a LOT of anti-Dwight people who hated the trade.

There were a lot of people who talked trash about Kobe wanting to trade Bynum for Jason Kidd.

There were a lot of people who proclaimed Bynum was as good or better than Dwight in many aspects of the game and was also arguably the best Center in the League.

Only thing that kept people from having a bigger outcry about Bynum was Kobe was infinitely more popular and Kobe was on record wanting Bynum out.

If prime Kobe had been on this team and signed off on trading Russell, 95% of Lakers fans would be APPLAUDING this move.  Some people are upset because Russell replaced Kobe as their favorite player and losing him a year after losing Kobe was too much to bear.  It's not because Russell has done anything to warrant this type of loyalty...

We were discussing trading Andrew Bynum for Dwight Howard and how Laker fans felt about it and somehow you manage to bring in D'Angelo Russell into the equation by relating the situation to Kobe's Bynum trade outcry?...

A) I will say that well over 90% of people were on board with the Dwight trade.  I can recall this board going bonkers the second there was rumblings of him being interested in LA.  I, as well as many others literally stood next to our radios (710 ESPN) as well as twitter, waiting upon the news and the "multiple sources" that flew around that summer.  I can assure you that a vast majority were huge fans of the Dwight acquisition when it initially happened.  The fallout afterwards is a different story.

B) A good amount of people bashed Kobe because they thought it was very immature, disrespectful, and extremely unprofessional to publically advocate trading one of your teammates and bashing the front office as well.  In that same year, Kobe had also requested a trade so that also lead to the fans disliking him.  Despite all that, at the time, a good amount of fans sided with Kobe because when this occurred in 2007, Bynum was still extremely raw and Kidd was still viewed as a highly productive star point guard.  Give Mitch and Jim credit for holding onto Bynum and not giving into their Star player's wishes because he (Bynum) was a significant piece in our back-to-back titles.

C) People knew that Bynum had a much superior offensive skillset in comparison to Dwight.  However, Dwight was clearly the better Center if not the best at his position during the time.  Dwight had a much more significant impact upon games and I assure you if you asked any analyst or adequate basketball fan who the best Center in the NBA was in 2011-2012, 99.9% of people would say Dwight.

Kobe mentioned the Bynum for Kidd trade some time in the 2006-2007 season.  Kobe wanted to win and he didn't think a 19 year old Center whom was extremely raw on both sides of the court would aid in that title run.

You're argument is all over the place and actually contradictory towards some extent .  You claim that "There were a lot of people who talked trash about Kobe wanting to trade Bynum for Jason Kidd." but you then claim that, " If prime Kobe had been on this team and signed off on trading Russell, 95% of Lakers fans would be APPLAUDING this move."

Laker fans are dissappointed in the Russell trade because they believe that the front office took a huge gamble by dealing away a prospect with great potential in order to potentially chase a free agent in 2018.  It has nothing to do with Kobe, Russell being his replacement, or Andrew Bynum...  It seems as though you not only enjoy accusing posters of having a given perspective, but you also like to manipulate information and history in order to enhance your flawed argument.

Just stop man... you're making a fool of yourself.  I honestly haven't found such an agenda-based poster on this forum.

Edited by LakeShow1o1, July 11, 2017 - 12:44 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users