#41 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

Superstar

• 7,079 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted June 03, 2017 - 07:05 PM

Clarkson's draft position doesn't mean anything now.

Bottom line is he's getting paid $13 million per year now and therefore should start producing at a consistent rate which he hasn't.  Russell and Randle may have been drafted earlier but as of right now they are still being paid substantially less than Clarkson and both outperformed him.

I'm not huge on Randle, but he certainly has more potential and brings much more to the table than Clarkson.  I don't know how much Laker basketball you watched last season but Clarkson was easily one of the most selfish and boneheaded players when on the floor.

Edited by LakeShow1o1, June 03, 2017 - 07:07 PM.

• Rekal likes this

#42 Ventiquattro

Ventiquattro

All-Star

• 6,556 posts

Posted June 03, 2017 - 07:46 PM

Bottom line is he's getting paid $13 million per year now and therefore should start producing at a consistent rate which he hasn't.  Russell and Randle may have been drafted earlier but as of right now they are still being paid substantially less than Clarkson and both outperformed him.

I'm not huge on Randle, but he certainly has more potential and brings much more to the table than Clarkson.  I don't know how much Laker basketball you watched last season but Clarkson was easily one of the most selfish and boneheaded players when on the floor.

I disagree. Comparing Randle and Russell with Clarkson based on salary isnt fair.

Clarkson was a second rounder with shorter contract with same experience as Randle and extra year over Russell.

Why is Clarkson such a concern now? I'd be more concerned about the draft, Ingram/Russell and Randle's development.

a 6th man off the bench isnt going to move the needle whether we kept JC or replaced him with someone else.

I agree ,though; Clarkson has been somewhat of a  disappointment compared to his rookie season(reference point) but he shouldnt be the scapegoat for the Lakers misery, nor is he the piece that would turn this franchise around, whether kept or dealt.

• GCMD likes this

#43 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 11,995 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 03, 2017 - 08:37 PM

Why do these 2 things have to be mutually exclusive?  If you can get a solid deal for Clarkson now you gotta take it.  If not he has another dud year like this past one his value drops a great deal.  Its the same reason why this year is make or break for Randle.  If he doesn't start to improve to where they feel he's future core piece they have to consider moving him by the deadline or they are forced to pay him his market price next offseason.  With talent starved teams like the Nets and Bulls and Nuggets in a year things can get real expensive.  

I disagree. Comparing Randle and Russell with Clarkson based on salary isnt fair.

Clarkson was a second rounder with shorter contract with same experience as Randle and extra year over Russell.

Why is Clarkson such a concern now? I'd be more concerned about the draft, Ingram/Russell and Randle's development.

a 6th man off the bench isnt going to move the needle whether we kept JC or replaced him with someone else.

I agree ,though; Clarkson has been somewhat of a  disappointment compared to his rookie season(reference point) but he shouldnt be the scapegoat for the Lakers misery, nor is he the piece that would turn this franchise around, whether kept or dealt.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#44 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,736 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted June 04, 2017 - 12:56 AM

Yes, his draft position means a lot.  You can't expect a guy who was drafted in the 2nd round to play up to the potential of a guy drafted in the lottery just because he's making more.  He was drafted 45th for a reason.  That said, it's not like he's playing at the 45th level either.  He's easily the steal of the draft based on where he was drafted and can be a GREAT 6th man for us today...that's worth 12M, easily.

If Randle was a free agent at the same time Clarkson was, do you think we could have kept him for 12M?  Nope...do you think he's worth more than 12M now?  Nope...and that's a guy who went mid lotto vs a guy who went mid SECOND ROUND!!!!  LOL.

I feel like I'm in crazy town when I have to debate things that should be common sense.

As for Randle's potential, we ALL agree he has potential.  I just don't agree that his potential is easily reached on this roster and in this system.

As for what Randle "brings to the table", what exactly is that outside of rebounding?  I've asked this question over and over and no one seems to want to answer it with any definable, quantifiable skills.  Why is that?

Clarkson is what he is...a very good complementary combo guard that is best off the bench at this point.  In the right lineup with the right roster, he's a high energy guy who plays well in an uptempo offense as a slasher and finisher with spot playmaking ability.  This year, he will be making about 1/10th of the salary cap (approximately).  Saying he's anywhere NEAR overpaid is ludicrous.

Why do these 2 things have to be mutually exclusive?  If you can get a solid deal for Clarkson now you gotta take it.  If not he has another dud year like this past one his value drops a great deal.  Its the same reason why this year is make or break for Randle.  If he doesn't start to improve to where they feel he's future core piece they have to consider moving him by the deadline or they are forced to pay him his market price next offseason.  With talent starved teams like the Nets and Bulls and Nuggets in a year things can get real expensive.  

No one is claiming we shouldn't move Clarkson if we get a good deal.  No one is claiming a good deal has to be a steal for us.  I'm claiming that if we keep him, it doesn't hurt us.  I'm also claiming that Randle doesn't help us except by him leaving.

If Clarkson's trade value goes down, you just don't re-sign him...simple.  Randle's market value will exceed what he is worth to this team, easily.  That's not because he couldn't be great somewhere...just that it won't be here.  

And he's NO WHERE NEAR the talent that would make us think about changing course to build around him.  That's the hard truth.  Punt while you can still land a young player and our core players are still young so all of them can grow up together.  We made a bad pick...swallow the pill.

tenor.gif

#45 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 6,848 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted June 04, 2017 - 06:38 AM

This FO is all over the place.

Not sure thats a bad thing yet as i could live with 12 different players than the ones we have now if they're better.

We're 2 major star pieces away no matter what we do along the margins

• FranklinPeanuts likes this

Praying for  1. Youngsters Ballin (Didn't really happen on a consistent basis at all) 2. Miracle Trade (Also didn't happen. And we traded our best player for chump change) 3. Kick Ass Rooks (Zubac exceeded, Ingram tried but disappointed overall)

READY FOR SEASON TO BE OVER!!!

#46 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,736 posts

Posted June 04, 2017 - 11:24 AM

We don't have any data on this Front Office.  This could all be a ploy to get teams on the phone and change the conversation to Deng or Moz or Randle or Nance...bait and switch.  They could be looking to move a guard but not want to drive down the trade value of the one they really want to move (D'Angelo Russell).

Or they could just really want to see what they can get for Clarkson while shaving some dollars off their salary...

We just don't know.

• kball likes this

tenor.gif

#47 Ventiquattro

Ventiquattro

All-Star

• 6,556 posts

Posted June 04, 2017 - 11:33 AM

Its not.

If you could get a solid deal, then sure. But what constitutes a good deal? I'm almost certain they wont trade JC for a late rounder. So what realistic upgrade move you'd want to make? lets hear it. Again I dont mind trading him but it has to make sense. In either case, we need someone to run the second unit when JC moves back to the bench( I think he'll be a starter regardless of who we pick, at least for a period of time)

JC is a well rounded player who has good skills though he had lots of bad moments this season, but he fits the bill for a PG/SG off the bench esp that Luke uses a 9/10 man rotation.

• GCMD likes this

#48 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,736 posts

Posted June 04, 2017 - 11:58 AM

Its not.

If you could get a solid deal, then sure. But what constitutes a good deal? I'm almost certain they wont trade JC for a late rounder. So what realistic upgrade move you'd want to make? lets hear it. Again I dont mind trading him but it has to make sense. In either case, we need someone to run the second unit when JC moves back to the bench( I think he'll be a starter regardless of who we pick, at least for a period of time)

JC is a well rounded player who has good skills though he had lots of bad moments this season, but he fits the bill for a PG/SG off the bench esp that Luke uses a 9/10 man rotation.

I don't understand the hate for Clarkson.  He's not an AllStar but he has well defined skills that could help most teams today.  A guy like that who struggles on a bad team could flourish as a 3rd or 4th option behind good players or in an uptempo system like GSW or HOU.  I think that if Clarkson played for Pop at SAS, he'd be another guy that EVERYONE wished they had coming off the bench.

There is nothing wrong with Clarkson's game outside of needing to find a consistent role and not have full-time PG duties heaped on him.  He's a good role player who will likely get better.  

That said, if we move him, I'm cool with that.  If someone offered the 12th-15th pick, they can have him.  Take Donovan Mitchell who is a lot like Clarkson but with elite defensive potential:

tenor.gif

#49 lakersince75

lakersince75

Sixth Man

• 3,101 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted June 04, 2017 - 12:23 PM

Monta Ellis is 31 years of age with 2 more years on his contract (NO THANKS)

Lance Stephenson was a free agent for over 3/4s of this season, no one wanted him (NO THANKS)

Thaddeus Young is a run of the mill power forward that has been unable to find a consistent deep range shot (NO THANKS)

Aaron Afflalo is 31, seems to be on the decine, and would add very little to this squad (NO THANKS)

Tyreke Evans, out of all the names you listed is the best option, but even then he doesn't fit this roster and has been injury plagued (NO THANKS)

Many logical fans knew that the benching of Russell late in the season despite the great stat line post All-Star break was to evaluate Clarkson's play and attempt to increase his trade value.  There's no surprise that he's on the block.

Couldn't Luke have started Russell and just played him less minutes?? why bench him?  And now that Russell is in trade talks too, how does that work?

#50 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,461 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted June 04, 2017 - 12:27 PM

Couldn't Luke have started Russell and just played him less minutes?? why bench him? And now that Russell is in trade talks too, how does that work?

The FO was evaluating players. Why bench.Lou?

#51 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

Superstar

• 7,079 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Couldn't Luke have started Russell and just played him less minutes?? why bench him?  And now that Russell is in trade talks too, how does that work?

Where are these trade talks that Russell have been involved in?

#52 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,461 posts

Where are these trade talks that Russell have been involved in?

Hypothetical

#53 lakersince75

lakersince75

Sixth Man

• 3,101 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted June 04, 2017 - 12:29 PM

Maybe they are using Clarkson to land a 3D guy. Clarkson is a great bench / roleplayer. But those are a dime a dozen

#54 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 3,357 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 04, 2017 - 12:32 PM

Other GMs call and inquire about him and we say no.   

#55 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,461 posts

Posted June 04, 2017 - 01:10 PM

Maybe they are using Clarkson to land a 3D guy. Clarkson is a great bench / roleplayer. But those are a dime a dozen

No they aren't.
GS has Ian Clark in that role.
Cavs have Deron Williams.

Who Portland has?

#56 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,736 posts

Posted June 04, 2017 - 04:37 PM

That's possible.  If they trade him, it's fine.  If they keep him, he has a role on this team, in this system with this roster.

tenor.gif

#57 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,268 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted June 23, 2017 - 04:11 PM

Jordan Clarkson meeting that bodyfat requirement 

https://streamable.com/xwb4g

• MaceWindu likes this

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#58 artemis

artemis

Bruin

• 1,667 posts
  • Name:Artemis
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Lamar, Pau, Horry

Posted June 23, 2017 - 07:36 PM

Airport? Take off?

Where to?

“It is by chance that we met, by choice that we became friends.”

Posted Image

rest in paradise bestie matt
8.13.1992 - 9.27.2010

#59 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Hall Of Fame

• 9,738 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 23, 2017 - 07:49 PM

Airport? Take off?

Where to?

Probably just going on a mini-vacay. I think he's trolling everyone making people think he got traded lol.

#60 artemis

artemis

Bruin

• 1,667 posts
  • Name:Artemis
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Lamar, Pau, Horry

Posted June 23, 2017 - 08:38 PM

Probably just going on a mini-vacay. I think he's trolling everyone making people think he got traded lol.

Most likely off to hang out with the Kardashians and Baldwins.
  • Clutch Factor likes this

“It is by chance that we met, by choice that we became friends.”

Posted Image

rest in paradise bestie matt
8.13.1992 - 9.27.2010

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users