Photo

Would you bring back Lamar Odom to the Lakers to be added to the Coaching Staff?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 manaro90

manaro90

Starter

• 5,271 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 31, 2017 - 01:01 AM

DBAyVafVoAA1L8W.jpg

Lamar was there yesterday at the facility, looking great and healthy. So nice to see him next to Shaw, Luke and Magic.

He expressed his interest in joining the Lakers coaching staff next season. What do you guys think?

Former Los Angeles Lakers forward Lamar Odom will always be a fan-favorite, and not just for his role in bringing the team two titles as an essential bench cog who would later win Sixth Man of the Year.

Not only was Odom’s smooth, versatile game at 6’11 ahead of its time and a blast to watch as he carved up opposing bench units and starters alike with his loping fullcourt runs, but he just seemed like a genuine, good person. A guy who had been through real struggles in his life and who Lakers fans will always root for.

When Odom fell into a coma in a Nevada brothel nearly two years ago, at the time it seemed like it could be a tragic end to a difficult life, but Odom beat the odds and has since bounced back. Odom made an appearance at Kobe Bryant’s final game with the Lakers, and made it sound like he’s doing much better in an interview earlier this year.

Odom’s latest public appearance came at none other than the Lakers’ practice facility, where he came as a “guest” of Lakers head coach and former teammate Luke Walton to watch the team prepare for the 2017 NBA Draft by working out Jordan Bell of Oregon and other prospects:

Cologne, Germany Baby! LAKERS FOR LIFE.  |   Add me Instagram: princealaddin90

#2 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 10,992 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted May 31, 2017 - 04:38 AM

Yup. Could help Randle and maybe Ingram

#3 lakersince75

lakersince75

Sixth Man

• 3,157 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted May 31, 2017 - 04:53 AM

No. Wasn't the brightest crayon in the box when he was here. Love the player in his prime but other than that, Im good. Plus more than likely we'll have MWP for the guys that need help with mental illness

• GCMD and UKUGA like this

#4 Ventiquattro

Ventiquattro

All-Star

• 6,566 posts

Posted May 31, 2017 - 10:55 AM

I dont care

#5 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 13,358 posts

Posted May 31, 2017 - 11:40 AM

A guy who developed a lot of bad habits in LA and couldn't handle the LA Life comes back to LA to mentor young kids on how to handle life in LA when he still hasn't proven HE CAN?

What could POSSIBLY go wrong?

Don't mind LO as a coach.  Don't mind him joining a coaching staff in the NBA...somewhere...but I'm pretty sure he needs to find a place with less vices and better, stronger influences...and Magic is not one...he's infamous for the LEGENDARY PARTIES he threw as a player...

tenor.gif

#6 bigvee

bigvee

Legend

• 12,592 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted May 31, 2017 - 12:32 PM

I'm not sure if he brings anything of value to the coaching staff. I don't think the guys need someone there to simply echo what Luke says.

If Lamar wants to come around and give pointers to the guys at practice and learn a few things about coaching, then sure, let him in. However, I don't think he's proven that he belongs back on the bench on the coaching staff. 

We're talking about someone who was top ranked out of high school but never realized his potential because of awful habits. He was still pretty solid in his prime, but imagine how good he could have been if he took care of himself and didn't just eat candy all day.

• JEN likes this

#7 Drazard

Drazard

The Death Bringer

• 2,066 posts
  • Name:Drazard
  • Fan Since:1995

Posted May 31, 2017 - 04:00 PM

tumblr_lyzx27Eiet1qku5wbo1_500.gif

2449wqt.jpg

#8 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 13,358 posts

Posted June 01, 2017 - 04:13 PM

While I think we all get what you're saying, I think that post went a little to far and is in poor taste...

tenor.gif

#9 manaro90

manaro90

Starter

• 5,271 posts
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted June 01, 2017 - 11:47 PM

While I think we all get what you're saying, I think that post went a little to far and is in poor taste...

people are being really pissed on him and hating a lot .. he did the best for our organisation in his years here from 2004-2011!

Cologne, Germany Baby! LAKERS FOR LIFE.  |   Add me Instagram: princealaddin90

#10 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 13,358 posts

Posted June 02, 2017 - 02:11 AM

people are being really pissed on him and hating a lot .. he did the best for our organisation in his years here from 2004-2011!

Some things you don't say, even if you think it.

tenor.gif

#11 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,680 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted June 02, 2017 - 08:33 AM

Some things you don't say, even if you think it.

Says who?
You?

You're nobody

#12 LACAS

LACAS

Off The Bench

• 2,390 posts
  • Name:CAS
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic-Kobe or Kobe-Magic

Posted June 02, 2017 - 09:08 AM

Says who?
You?

You're nobody

Says nobody.

• GCMD likes this

#13 LACAS

LACAS

Off The Bench

• 2,390 posts
  • Name:CAS
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic-Kobe or Kobe-Magic

Posted June 02, 2017 - 09:08 AM

You're nobody

Says nobody.

• GCMD, fido and DeeZee like this

#14 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 15,063 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982

Posted June 03, 2017 - 09:29 PM

Odom is not mentally strong enough to be teaching kids anything at this point.  If he gets his crap straight (and straight for a long run), then maybe,  But right now, hell no.  I don't want him and his fragile ego along with insecurity being near a team already struggling with motivation and identity.

BBIQ:  That's twice within the last two weeks you've come into a thread with no point other than to insult.  No more, I'm done with it.  If you feel the ned to express infantile slings, take it to private messaging, we don't need it.

• GCMD, DeeZee and lakersince75 like this

#15 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 13,358 posts

Posted June 03, 2017 - 11:26 PM

Thanks, fido.  I've been actively ignoring BBIQ for a while.  He just keeps finding a way to poke at me (and others) unprovoked.

As for LO, I'm sure he's a good guy and I hope coaching works out for him but that's not the same as wanting to be his on-the-job training "experiment".  If he's serious about coaching, I think a job with a little less stress like a college assistant or high school coach would be a much better intro into coaching.

Coaching AAU is stressful.  I can't imagine what it's like to be an NBA Assistant.  I don't think this is the right move for ANYONE with the substance abuse issues LO has.

Edited by GCMD, June 03, 2017 - 11:27 PM.

• fido likes this

tenor.gif

#16 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,537 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted June 04, 2017 - 06:28 AM

While i wouldnt want to risk LO in a coaching position given his history, i'd love for the organization to figure out a position for him thats not so public. 

Scouting maybe or asst to some other higher up within the laker org i'd be in favor of

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#17 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 13,358 posts

Posted June 04, 2017 - 11:38 AM

While i wouldnt want to risk LO in a coaching position given his history, i'd love for the organization to figure out a position for him thats not so public. 

Scouting maybe or asst to some other higher up within the laker org i'd be in favor of

I think LO has the personality to be a commentator type guy or sports personality for Spectrum's Lakers Channel.  He's still well liked and considered a cool guy.  I believe that if he's given a few public speaking courses, people will tune in to hear his unique perspective.

That's a prominent position with little to no stress or responsibility.  If he can handle that, then we can start looking at a small role with as a scout with the South Bay Lakers.  Putting him on this coaching staff is not a good idea for LO or the players.  We don't need any distractions and LO needs to walk before he tries to SPRINT.

tenor.gif

#18 lakersince75

lakersince75

Sixth Man

• 3,157 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted June 04, 2017 - 12:34 PM

I might hire Rodman first

#19 GCMD

GCMD

Legend