Photo

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar plans to ‘discuss a possible role’ with the Lakers; wants to mentor Zubac

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 26, 2017 - 08:11 AM

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar plans to ‘discuss a possible role’ with the Lakers
The team might bring back another “Showtime” Hall of Famer.

634074842.0.jpg

Johnson said on the radio Wednesday that Bryant is now back with the team in an unnamed (and seemingly unofficial) role to help them evaluate their own players, and with Bryant in the fold, it seems Johnson has set his sights on another Lakers great.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar told Mark Medina of the Orange County Register that “Johnson and Lakers controlling owner Jeanie Buss have asked him to meet in a few weeks to discuss a possible role with the organization.”

Abdul-Jabbar has previously served as an assistant coach for the Lakers, although it would seem unlikely the 70-year-old would make his way back down to the bench now.

More realistically, the Lakers may just want the NBA’s all-time leading scorer around the franchise as someone whose brain players can pick, or as someone to come in and talk to the young players like he did last season. Abdul-Jabbar could also potentially just serve as someone for Johnson to bounce ideas off of, or maybe just a skyhook consultant for Ivica Zubac.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar told Mark Medina of the Orange County Register that “Johnson and Lakers controlling owner Jeanie Buss have asked him to meet in a few weeks to discuss a possible role with the organization.” 

While Abdul-Jabbar didn’t reveal (and may not know) what type of role the Lakers have in mind for him, it’s still notable that the franchise is making such a concerted effort to have its former superstars around the team. The two stars of “Showtime” working in the front office may not have been expected, but it’s impossible to argue with the results that tandem got the first time around.

http://www.silverscr...ic-johnson-news

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar wants to mentor Ivica Zubac, help him with his skyhook

The young big man may not have to do so from afar anymore, because not only is Abdul-Jabbar reportedly considering rejoining the Lakers in an unspecified role, he also “expressed interest” to Mark Medina of the Orange County Register in “mentoring” Zubac. And yes, he’s seen Zubac using his trademark skyhook. 

“He’s equipped to use it well,” Abdul-Jabbar told Medina of Zubac. “He has the length to begin with. If he can develop his shooting touch and agility, he’ll use it well.” 

Zubac didn’t get to use the skyhook a ton with the Lakers last season, but the promising young big man did manage to show off a shockingly versatile array of post moves for a 19-year-old in his first NBA season. 

If Zubac can actually master the skyhook, not only would it revive the mostly unused art, it would also basically make him unstoppable with deep post position because of how long he already is. 

Abdul-Jabbar returning to the Lakers is still no sure thing, but if the Lakers don’t beg him to come back as their special “skyhook consultant” and turn Zubac into the unguardable offensive force he seems destined to be, then what the heck are we all even doing here, anyway? 
http://www.silverscr...re-unstoppable 

Great news on both fronts! 

Edited by Majesty, May 26, 2017 - 08:12 AM.

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#2 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 8,142 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted May 26, 2017 - 08:44 AM

Kareem is one of the most overrated players in the history of the NBA. He was carried by Magic. I don't want him anywhere near Zubac. The skyhook won't work in today's NBA.

He's not even in my top 100. I'll take Zach Randolph and Elden Campbell over him easily!

#3 kray28

kray28

Off The Bench

• 2,512 posts
  • Fan Since:1988
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 26, 2017 - 08:56 AM

Kareem is one of the most overrated players in the history of the NBA. He was carried by Magic. I don't want him anywhere near Zubac. The skyhook won't work in today's NBA.

He's not even in my top 100. I'll take Zach Randolph and Elden Campbell over him easily!

Not sure if serious.

• FranklinPeanuts and GCMD like this

livin' in a river of darkness beneath the neon lights

pkray.png

#4 RobBlake

RobBlake

Starter

• 4,431 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted May 26, 2017 - 09:18 AM

zach over kareem? ima have to take your bball card

ap1.png

#5 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 26, 2017 - 09:57 AM

Not sure if serious.

You aren't? :o 

• FranklinPeanuts likes this

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#6 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 10,840 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted May 26, 2017 - 10:11 AM

i am going to leave this alone and act like i did not just read this. walking away quickly

• GCMD and kidpolean like this

#7 Wilt Chamberneezy

Wilt Chamberneezy

Rookie

• 945 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Shaq, Kobe, Fisher,Fox, Horry

Posted May 26, 2017 - 10:19 AM

I thought Kareem was going to work with Zubac on the skyhook, but saw that he was doing it correctly. Said there was nothing for him teach.

#8 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 25,660 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted May 26, 2017 - 10:34 AM

I thought Kareem was going to work with Zubac on the skyhook, but saw that he was doing it correctly. Said there was nothing for him teach.

I remember seeing that too.  I think Kareem was like, "Nah hes probably just another meh big" then Zubac started going off so now he wants to work with him. Which I think is fine because I always find is annoying how every big needs to work with Kareem according to laker fans. Its good for Zu because Zu has a very fundamental big man game that Kareem could help but guys like Dwight, Moz, etc they have a totally different game and Kareem can't help those type of players. 

• bfc1125roy likes this

#9 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 8,142 posts

Posted May 26, 2017 - 10:44 AM

i am going to leave this alone and act like i did not just read this. walking away quickly

I hope it was clear that I was joking lol
  • Majesty likes this

#10 Ventiquattro

Ventiquattro

All-Star

• 6,559 posts

Posted May 26, 2017 - 11:00 AM

He's a Muslim too..

#11 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 10,840 posts

Posted May 26, 2017 - 11:03 AM

I hope it was clear that I was joking lol

hahaha. i knew it.. i left the room too quick. LOL

#12 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 2,711 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted May 26, 2017 - 11:17 AM

You have been in the Sun too long! Its the one unstoppable shot, and they didn't call him Capt for no reason. Underated is more like it. Explain how he was carried by Magic, remember I was at those games! Ha ha ha!

Edited by DaSmoothOperator, May 26, 2017 - 11:18 AM.

• lakersince75 likes this

#13 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,043 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted May 26, 2017 - 01:27 PM

Kareem is a pretty thoughtful guy who has been through more than pretty much anyone.

Feel our young guys (not just bigs) could learn an awful lot if they ask and listen.

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#14 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,925 posts

Posted May 26, 2017 - 02:06 PM

He's a Muslim too..

This is about to go bad...

• DeeZee and Ventiquattro like this

tenor.gif

#15 Ventiquattro

Ventiquattro

All-Star

• 6,559 posts

Posted May 26, 2017 - 02:13 PM

Haha.. I'm a muslim myself..  It was a Joke

Edited by Ventiquattro, May 26, 2017 - 02:14 PM.

#16 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,925 posts

Posted May 26, 2017 - 02:46 PM

Haha.. I'm a muslim myself..  It was a Joke

I knew I liked you for some reason...ready for Ramadan?

• manaro90 likes this

tenor.gif

#17 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Do you wanna tickle my big ol' long toes?

• 11,522 posts

Posted May 26, 2017 - 02:48 PM

I [deleted] but atoning for [expletive] I've created.

I like to dip my feet in toilet water & smell them.

#18 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 10,840 posts

Posted May 26, 2017 - 04:10 PM

DELETE!!!!

#19 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 8,142 posts

Posted May 26, 2017 - 05:39 PM

DELETE!!!!

#BrokenForLife
  • FranklinPeanuts, Majesty and manaro90 like this

#20 MaceWindu

MaceWindu

Starter

• 4,579 posts
  • Fan Since:Hector was a pup
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted May 26, 2017 - 06:54 PM

Again it's going to be a loooong off season.
  • kball likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users