111 replies to this topic

#41 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,609 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 24, 2017 - 12:47 AM

Uhh pretty sure Butler is a better offensive and defensive player than anyone we have on this team right now. The Bulls aren't as dumb as the Kings, but I wish. This is a deal that you don't even think about. The best case scenario is Russell becomes as good as Butler, and he will NEVER become the defensive talent he is. You do this deal, and try to get George or whoever you can in FA. Let Ingram and Ball develop, and you are working with something good. 

Remember we are severely lacking defense on this team. I don't know if Nance is good enough to start, and Ingram is the only other guy that cares about playing any defense. Add in the fact that Butler can actually create his own shot, and it's not even a question.

Still think the Celts trade Fultz for him, though.

Edited by bfc1125roy, May 24, 2017 - 12:48 AM.

#42 lakersince75

lakersince75

Sixth Man

• 3,157 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted May 24, 2017 - 02:14 AM

No.

Here's the reality.  

Making a deal for Jimmy Butler when you have no intention nor possibility of contending within the next 2 seasons is stupid.   Particularly if you're trading your youth for them.  

Here's a bigger reality.  The league is the Warriors and the Cavs for the next 2-3 seasons.   So right now what the Lakers should be focusing on is developing their youth, so that in that 2-3 seasons from now period the Lakers are ready to make a run and try to be a team that can trouble Golden State or get close to upsetting them or feels one player away from doing so.  

You trade for Jimmy Butler if you're a team like Boston, which is on the cusp but need that final piece or so to push you over the top.   

You don't trade for Jimmy Butler when you're a mid 20 team unless you're gonna somehow land LeBron next, because that's the only way you're contending in a span of time that's relevant if you're in a position the Lakers are in. 

Buckle down and develop the youth.  It's development time, perfect time FOR development as we're not beating the Warriors anytime soon within the next 2 or so seasons. So why the heck would we throw together some mid-level team that's not gonna do anything and then has no youth to build upon? Precisely. 

So, no to Jimmy Butler, especially if it comes to trading our future away for him.  Let the Celtics give up Fultz for Butler instead. 

What if some your youth sucks?? What if the ceiling for ALL of your youth minus Ingram is Lamar or Millsap? What if PG says hell no due to us not trying to create a big 3 right now because you damn sure don't have one in the making? I would never give up ALL the youth but 3 out of 5 not named Ingram is fine with me. 2 years is right around the corner. Paul George and Jimmy are both 27. And PG just turned 27 3 weeks ago. These days thats still very YOUTHFUL.  And Jimmys contract is highway robbery by todays standards. See Conley. So let me get this straight, you would rather pay Deng Jimmy money for the next 3 years because you don't want to give up Russell and a 28th?

Ball Sophmore campaign

Ingram Year 3  215 lbs

Jimmy

George '18

Zu  Year 3 or Who ever we find to do the dirty work.  Heck, Ibaka is 27 and available. Just sayin

Ability to spend money on your bench due to not breaking the bank on your starters??

Some of you can somehow always seem to see Russell becoming a superstar some kind of way, but we can't see Butler and George being put in a winning situation together, going into seclusion this and next offseason and coming out like Harden or Westbrook. I'd bet on the latter before Russell ever becomes Curry. I have no problem Giving up Randle, Clarkson and Russell if the results are a 28 year old George and Butler. Defensive problem Solved and grab some shooter pieces

Edited by lakersince75, May 24, 2017 - 02:41 AM.

#43 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,706 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 24, 2017 - 02:28 AM

Butler doesn't really help us offensively. He's simply a better defender. We can find another defender without giving up Russell. Offensively, in this specific system, Russell will be better than Butler.

This trade would simply be to acquire a name. In other words, it's pointless. I don't understand the need to get rid of the bad contracts. We could sign PG either way and there are free agents every year. Waiting until those contracts are up makes no difference!

If it was DLo alone then i might agree but by moving Deng it allow us to chase another FA. Arent you always saying that we need stars to get FA stars?

#44 KidRN

KidRN

Hall Of Fame

• 8,437 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted May 24, 2017 - 02:52 AM

Arent you always saying that we need stars to get FA stars?

No! I have always been against this idea because there is no recent proof to back up this theory. The only player that we have seen people go out of their way to play with in recent memory has been Lebron, an most of those players were role players. Most players tend to be attracted to contenders NOT single players. Butler by himself doesn't ensure that we get anyone else. This is simply a fallacy.

This is starting to get sad. Laker fans are willing to jump at any "name" simply to say that our FO did something. Sometimes I wish that these trades or signings that this forum falls in love with would actually happen just so people could see the reality of them instead of the 2K games that play out inside of their heads. Names don't win games...teams do!

Edited by kidpolean, May 24, 2017 - 03:04 AM.

#45 Tensai

Tensai

Superstar

• 8,282 posts

Posted May 24, 2017 - 03:10 AM

What are opponents of this idea thinking? That the addition of #2 will propel this team to win 30-something games next season? It is not gonna happen. There is about 2 years window for us to make moves because that is when all of the rookies are up for new contract except Ingram. So if this team will not become a 50-something win next season with addition of #2, what is the meaning of holding on to all these contracts - young player or veteran.

We have to make some deals, people. Getting attached romantically to these players will not make us better. We have to improve this roster somehow.

Since Ingram is off limit, you either trade #2 or Russell. Holding on to both is a big mistake. #2 as a pick gives the other team an option to choose from so I see that as a better package than Russell, however, if a team like Bulls tell you that they want Russell, then you give him to them. Attaching Deng or #28 is whatever, you have to improve this roster by bringing in quality players that can lead this team.

Jimmy Butler is one of the rare no-headache stars in the league. He is a perennial all-defensive team player, he doesn't turn the ball over, he is not a ball hog (his usage rate is even less than Russell's), he shoots almost 9 free throws per game which is terrific. Among active players he is simply one of the best all arounded offensive players.

Butler is the right player to steer this ship until Ingram's game matures and he takes over in 3-4 years. Until that time, you don't know what is gonna happen in the league. You take care of your business now, and stop over-analyzing things. I just hope this rumor is true.

• lakersince75 likes this

fXlFKv8.gif

#46 lakersince75

lakersince75

Sixth Man

• 3,157 posts

Posted May 24, 2017 - 04:56 AM

That deal would've been done immediately if it were true.

It also doesn't work under the cap.  Too much money going out from the Lakers' side.

I'm sure there is a floating piece that would come from Chi-Town. I'm just trippin on some folks not being geeked over the possibility of having George and Butler as oppose to the MAYBE CREW. The crazy part is this can all be done without losing this years pick or Ingram. Unless folks are against PG at the 4 I can't see how some are so stuck on not giving up Randle, Russell and Clarkson like we would stop making moves if we did acquire Butler and George. Hell I would just be happy getting rid of Dengs Contract

#47 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,537 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted May 24, 2017 - 05:22 AM

The way in which this forum values Clarkson, why should any team want him?

• LACAS likes this

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#48 KidRN

KidRN

Hall Of Fame

• 8,437 posts

Posted May 24, 2017 - 06:18 AM

I'm sure there is a floating piece that would come from Chi-Town. I'm just trippin on some folks not being geeked over the possibility of having George and Butler as oppose to the MAYBE CREW. The crazy part is this can all be done without losing this years pick or Ingram. Unless folks are against PG at the 4 I can't see how some are so stuck on not giving up Randle, Russell and Clarkson like we would stop making moves if we did acquire Butler and George. Hell I would just be happy getting rid of Dengs Contract

In what scenario does PG and Butler win us a ring? Realistically, they have a good 3-4 years left where they are still considered perennial allstars. That is a very small window! We would have two declining players on max contracts and be right back in the situation we are in now.

Some people want to win a ring and not just win games. If we are waiting for Ingram to be our #1, why the hell would we trade for these guys? Our fate is still in the hands of Ingram either way.

Edited by kidpolean, May 24, 2017 - 06:20 AM.

#49 lakersince75

lakersince75

Sixth Man

• 3,157 posts

Posted May 24, 2017 - 07:22 AM

In what scenario does PG and Butler win us a ring? Realistically, they have a good 3-4 years left where they are still considered perennial allstars. That is a very small window! We would have two declining players on max contracts and be right back in the situation we are in now.

Some people want to win a ring and not just win games. If we are waiting for Ingram to be our #1, why the hell would we trade for these guys? Our fate is still in the hands of Ingram either way.

By the Time Ingram is ready the other two may be on their way out. Who is to say those two together with more moves won't win a chip??  One thing for certain, we sign this current crew to max years and money we will never see one. EVER. Minus Ingram the best we can hope for is Randle developing into a NeNe or Lamar if we're lucky type and Russell becoming a combination of young Andre Miller and Swaggy P. Clarkson becomes a GOOD 2 guard. Also keep this in mind. Butler nor George had a coach like Luke and neither played with another all star in his prime. 4 years together might be fun. Then the skinny man at 25 years of age takes over  :D

• LACAS likes this

#50 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 23,771 posts

Posted May 24, 2017 - 07:31 AM

I love how the rhetoric is Russell's ceiling offensively is butler or worse

Do people realize that it took butler until he was 4 years older than Russell to outperform Russell in ANY category offensively

At a year and 2 years older than Russell butler was giving less than half the production of Russell offensively

How is there even remotely a certainty Russell won't eclipse butlers offensive output

It's just not even within range of a logical assertion at this point.

It's on the same level as if 2 people were racing and one of the guys was about 50 yards ahead and the people watching said, "ya the guy 50 yards ahead has no chance at winning the race"
Posted Image

#51 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 23,771 posts

Posted May 24, 2017 - 07:37 AM

These Russell comparisons are laughable. They're not even within any semblance of logic.

A combination of Andre Miller and nick young? That's an elite player

Andre Miller was a high tier PG who's only downside was lack of scoring?

That's like saying ya he has potential to be a mix of Jamal Crawford and Tony Allen

Oh really? So basically an elite player at his position?
Posted Image

#52 KidRN

KidRN

Hall Of Fame

• 8,437 posts

Posted May 24, 2017 - 07:43 AM

By the Time Ingram is ready the other two may be on their way out. Who is to say those two together with more moves won't win a chip?? One thing for certain, we sign this current crew to max years and money we will never see one. EVER. Minus Ingram the best we can hope for is Randle developing into a NeNe or Lamar if we're lucky type and Russell becoming a combination of young Andre Miller and Swaggy P. Clarkson becomes a GOOD 2 guard. Also keep this in mind. Butler nor George had a coach like Luke and neither played with another all star in his prime. 4 years together might be fun. Then the skinny man at 25 years of age takes over :D

This makes no sense

#53 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,706 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 24, 2017 - 11:02 AM

No! I have always been against this idea because there is no recent proof to back up this theory. The only player that we have seen people go out of their way to play with in recent memory has been Lebron, an most of those players were role players. Most players tend to be attracted to contenders NOT single players. Butler by himself doesn't ensure that we get anyone else. This is simply a fallacy.

This is starting to get sad. Laker fans are willing to jump at any "name" simply to say that our FO did something. Sometimes I wish that these trades or signings that this forum falls in love with would actually happen just so people could see the reality of them instead of the 2K games that play out inside of their heads. Names don't win games...teams do!

Back up what theory? That when you add the best two-way SG in the game we're in a better position to do other moves. And Butler is just the first "name" we jump at?

Give me a [expletive]ing break. If we could pull off that move, we would have a lot of options in terms of putting a quality team on the floor for next season by having enough money for a max deal OR two max deals in 2018.

That is actually a good question. We may not be able to win with George and Butler, but if we still have Lonzo and Ingram AND money to spend, then it's a different story.

• martin90 likes this

#54 KidRN

KidRN

Hall Of Fame

• 8,437 posts

Posted May 24, 2017 - 11:37 AM

Back up what theory? That when you add the best two-way SG in the game we're in a better position to do other moves. And Butler is just the first "name" we jump at?

Give me a [expletive]ing break. If we could pull off that move, we would have a lot of options in terms of putting a quality team on the floor for next season by having enough money for a max deal OR two max deals in 2018.

That is actually a good question. We may not be able to win with George and Butler, but if we still have Lonzo and Ingram AND money to spend, then it's a different story.

Just like we should have signed Batum and Dragic to max contracts right? O and once Kobe was gone we'd were able to sign big name free agents like Deng and Mozgov.

At some point you guys will come to the realization that we are going to suck for a long time

#55 Ventiquattro

Ventiquattro

All-Star

• 6,566 posts

Posted May 24, 2017 - 11:45 AM

I think it will take us 2 years to be in the conversation for the 8th spot w/o big changes.

#56 KidRN

KidRN

Hall Of Fame

• 8,437 posts

Posted May 24, 2017 - 11:48 AM

I think it will take us 2 years to be in the conversation for the 8th spot w/o big changes.

Most likely

#57 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Hall Of Fame

• 9,794 posts

Posted May 24, 2017 - 11:54 AM

If this deal was to happen, I'd rather put the #2 pick instead of Russell. 

• Jody Smokes and lakerfan98 like this

#58 MaceWindu

MaceWindu

Starter

• 4,903 posts
  • Name:Ben
  • Fan Since:Hector was a pup
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted May 24, 2017 - 12:02 PM

Didn't we establish this was just a rumor or did I miss something?
  • Rekal likes this

#59 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,609 posts
  • Fan Since:2004

Posted May 24, 2017 - 01:16 PM

I never said that Russell's offensive ceiling is Butlers. What I said was that his ceiling as a player (offense and defense) is Butler. And right now, Butler has better offense and defense than anyone we have right now. And defense is the biggest weakpoint going forward, as Russell and Randle are both below average defensive players. We have no anchor, Ingram is still too skinny, and Ball is unproven if we draft him (Fultz isn't that good on D either). 

This reminds me of the Bynum for Bosh discussions we had back in the day. And all the people who said we should keep Bynum cause of his "potential". 

Edited by bfc1125roy, May 24, 2017 - 01:17 PM.

#60 Ventiquattro

Ventiquattro

All-Star

• 6,566 posts

Posted May 24, 2017 - 02:08 PM

Didn't we establish this was just a rumor or did I miss something?

Its summer time, gotta talk about anything and everything even if the guy who tweeted this said its an idea. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Jimmy Butler, Luol Deng, DAngelo Russell, 28th Pick

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users