#21 Bishop*

Bishop*

Rookie

• 313 posts
  • Name:Kofi Oppong
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 23, 2017 - 12:14 PM

Not sure but seems Chicago doesn't get enough. I'd ask for #2 and Russell & Deng

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is what i will say no to because that will basically be loosing too much assets for a 2nd tier star. 

#22 Bishop*

Bishop*

Rookie

• 313 posts
  • Name:Kofi Oppong
  • Fan Since:1992

Posted May 23, 2017 - 12:19 PM

My problem is I think you could get jimmy butler, Paul George and Demarcus cousins and I don't think you compete with golden state

Unless you somehow keep the #2 pick and Ingram through all of that

That's why I don't see a point

Together with all the available young guys?? That will depend on who is coaching.  It may not happen in their first year together but in the second year GS will be very beatable. 

Butler, George and Cousins gives you a very solid defensive core. 

Ball

Butler

George

Nance

Cousins

Can beat GS in their second year. That is lock down D with and very Potent offense.  With Clackson, Ingram, Randle and Zubac coming off the bench? 

• bfc1125roy likes this

#23 bigvee

bigvee

Legend

• 12,493 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted May 23, 2017 - 01:48 PM

Sounds like something made up on LG lol

Lol only Laker fans would say no to this. An unproven DLO and Deng on an awful contract for an all NBA talent with 2 years left on his contract. Chicago is irresponsible but damn that's an awful deal for them lol 

• GCMD and Jackson like this

#24 Ring Chaser

Ring Chaser

The Innovators

• 1,684 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Lonzo Ball

Posted May 23, 2017 - 01:54 PM

Dlo would be long gone if this was true.

"If you're going to lose, you have to lose because you can't be in the middle of the pack. You either have to be great or you have to be bad to get a good pick" - Earvin Magic Johnson

#25 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 7,613 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted May 23, 2017 - 02:15 PM

Butler doesn't really help us offensively. He's simply a better defender. We can find another defender without giving up Russell. Offensively, in this specific system, Russell will be better than Butler.

This trade would simply be to acquire a name. In other words, it's pointless. I don't understand the need to get rid of the bad contracts. We could sign PG either way and there are free agents every year. Waiting until those contracts are up makes no difference!

Edited by kidpolean, May 23, 2017 - 02:18 PM.

• Clutch Factor likes this

#26 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Hall Of Fame

• 9,621 posts

Posted May 23, 2017 - 02:21 PM

Butler doesn't really help us offensively. He's simply a better defender. We can find another defender without giving up Russell. Offensively, in this specific system, Russell will be better than Butler.

This trade would simply be to acquire a name. In other words, it's pointless.

To add on, Butler is at his best with the ball in his hands. Our system would emphasize off-ball movement and spacing, and Butler isn't even a threat from 3. 

The best part about that deal would be getting rid of Deng's contract, but I'd rather do that another way (Clarkson or another piece). 

• kidpolean likes this

#27 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Hall Of Fame

• 9,621 posts

Posted May 23, 2017 - 02:23 PM

I don't know whether this rumor is true or not. But remember there was a lot of discontent and contention between Butler and some Bulls player versus the front office. 

Butler accused them of "spying" in the locker room or whatever. The only thing doubtful about the rumor is that the Bulls could most likely get a better deal without taking in a bad contract in Deng. 

Edited by Clutch Factor, May 23, 2017 - 02:29 PM.

#28 Miggs

Miggs

16x CHAMPS

• 2,547 posts
  • Name:Miguel
  • Fan Since:1988 Finals
  • Fav. Laker:Showtime,Shaq and Kobe

Posted May 23, 2017 - 02:43 PM

Hell no jimmy butler ain't clutch and by no way can he carry a team in the west

#29 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

All-Star

• 6,831 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted May 23, 2017 - 02:50 PM

Butler is likely a 3rd option on a championship caliber team.

Considering we haven't even established our 1st or 2nd option yet, I don't see the reason behind acquiring him.  DEVELOP THE YOUTH.  

#30 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,369 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted May 23, 2017 - 02:55 PM

I wouldn't do this trade. You don't make a trade based on who you could possibly sign later. Butler coming by himself does nothing for this team at all.

You claim Ball wouldn't do anything for us offensively and used that as a reason to draft Fox...you think adding Fox vs adding Butler would be better defensively?

No matter what you think of Butler, he's a legit star...other players would more likely want to play with Butler now than Russell..

If this rumor is true.  It' simply goes to show you just how highly some GMs around the league view Russell.

LOL...yes, if you pretend that Butler doesn't want out and could have possibly requested a trade to LA?

This trade would simply be to acquire a name. In other words, it's pointless. I don't understand the need to get rid of the bad contracts. We could sign PG either way and there are free agents every year. Waiting until those contracts are up makes no difference!

He's a guy that can guard 1-3...he's a legit star.  He has been forced to play as a go-to player, much like Iggy.  When Iggy got to GSW, he fell right in line with the system and played his role perfectly...I don't think Luke would want Butler if he didn't feel comfortable with him in his system.

To add on, Butler is at his best with the ball in his hands. Our system would emphasize off-ball movement and spacing, and Butler isn't even a threat from 3. 

The best part about that deal would be getting rid of Deng's contract, but I'd rather do that another way (Clarkson or another piece). 

We can survive more ball dominance out of the guards in this system than our non-stretch 4.   Butler isn't a black hole and he's a team oriented player.  Great defender and legit star.  Butler's a huge threat in the P&R and midrange...would that not be a good complement to the outside shooting of Ball and Ingram?

tenor.gif

#31 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 7,613 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted May 23, 2017 - 03:06 PM

You claim Ball wouldn't do anything for us offensively and used that as a reason to draft Fox...you think adding Fox vs adding Butler would be better defensively?

No matter what you think of Butler, he's a legit star...other players would more likely want to play with Butler now than Russell..

LOL...yes, if you pretend that Butler doesn't want out and could have possibly requested a trade to LA?

He's a guy that can guard 1-3...he's a legit star. He has been forced to play as a go-to player, much like Iggy. When Iggy got to GSW, he fell right in line with the system and played his role perfectly...I don't think Luke would want Butler if he didn't feel comfortable with him in his system.

We can survive more ball dominance out of the guards in this system than our non-stretch 4. Butler isn't a black hole and he's a team oriented player. Great defender and legit star. Butler's a huge threat in the P&R and midrange...would that not be a good complement to the outside shooting of Ball and Ingram?

When did I claim Ball wouldn't do anything for us offensively? My problem is that his impact will likely be that of a role player and we'd be using the 2nd pick.

Butler doesn't help us. Russell is a better passer and 3pt shooter which happens to be the very two qualities that Ball has and we all know how you feel about him.

Butlers style of play directly contradicts all of your arguments for drafting Ball and getting rid of Randle. He has issues that you would easily turn down if it wasn't for his name clouding your judgement. If this was two years ago, I'd gladly do this deal but we have actual system in place with a couple of promising players that perfectly fit the system. Ingram and Russell are perfect for what Luke is trying to do. I'd much rather go after PG even with less years on his contract because his fit is much better.

The only thing Butler does is improve our perimeter defense. We can find a defensive minded SG/SF without giving up Russell.

Edited by kidpolean, May 23, 2017 - 03:10 PM.

• Ventiquattro likes this

#32 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Hall Of Fame

• 9,621 posts

Posted May 23, 2017 - 03:50 PM

We can survive more ball dominance out of the guards in this system than our non-stretch 4.   Butler isn't a black hole and he's a team oriented player.  Great defender and legit star.  Butler's a huge threat in the P&R and midrange...would that not be a good complement to the outside shooting of Ball and Ingram?

His defense is surely needed. But it isn't worth giving up a premium asset when that player doesn't perfectly mesh with the offense, and that it still won't make us a legitimate contender. I'd much rather have Paul George. 

Even in a situation where we traded for Butler and signed George next offseason, there would be too much overlap between Butler, Ingram, and George. Russell and Ball (although lacking in athleticism and defense) fit this offense beautifully. Two guards that can find the open man and hit the 3, assuming Ball's shot translates to the NBA. 

I think one wing defender (maybe Ingram becomes that player) and a defensive anchor can make up for the defense lacking in the starting back court. 

#33 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 3,320 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 23, 2017 - 06:15 PM

Seems like a typo if true.  Not a 2nd round pick from the Bulls to the Lakers but rather our 2nd overall pick to them on top of Russell, Deng, and #28.  I wouldn't do that trade in a million years but at least it's believable.    

#34 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 14,909 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982

Posted May 23, 2017 - 06:31 PM

That deal would've been done immediately if it were true.

It also doesn't work under the cap.  Too much money going out from the Lakers' side.

#35 Ventiquattro

Ventiquattro

All-Star

• 6,378 posts

Posted May 23, 2017 - 06:55 PM

It works.

#36 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,369 posts

Posted May 23, 2017 - 07:11 PM

Butler is likely a 3rd option on a championship caliber team.

Considering we haven't even established our 1st or 2nd option yet, I don't see the reason behind acquiring him.  DEVELOP THE YOUTH.  

So you're saying Russell is a 1st option on a Championship team?  That's interesting.

tenor.gif

#37 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,369 posts

Posted May 23, 2017 - 07:18 PM

When did I claim Ball wouldn't do anything for us offensively? My problem is that his impact will likely be that of a role player and we'd be using the 2nd pick.

Butler doesn't help us. Russell is a better passer and 3pt shooter which happens to be the very two qualities that Ball has and we all know how you feel about him.

Butlers style of play directly contradicts all of your arguments for drafting Ball and getting rid of Randle. He has issues that you would easily turn down if it wasn't for his name clouding your judgement. If this was two years ago, I'd gladly do this deal but we have actual system in place with a couple of promising players that perfectly fit the system. Ingram and Russell are perfect for what Luke is trying to do. I'd much rather go after PG even with less years on his contract because his fit is much better.

The only thing Butler does is improve our perimeter defense. We can find a defensive minded SG/SF without giving up Russell.

My bad...I meant to type "defensively".

Your knock on Ball is no midrange game...Butler takes care of that.

Your knock on Ball is he's not a lockdown perimeter defender...Butler takes care of that...

Your knock on Butler is he's not a good shooter...Ball and Ingram take care of that.

We don't need to find a defensive SF...we need to develop Ingram, which we will.

We are going to draft a really good PG, whether it's Ball or Fox...

If we have a chance to upgrade at SG and perimeter defense, we should...period, point, blank.

Not saying this will happen but if it did, it would be a good thing.  

Russell is NOT untouchable...and contrary to Laker Opinion, he's not worth a star straight up.  If CHI is offering Butler for Russell AND they are taking Deng or Moz off our hands?  You accept that trade before they finish their sentence.

• fido likes this

tenor.gif

#38 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 14,909 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982

Posted May 23, 2017 - 07:47 PM

How does it work?

The picks don't equal money, I would guess that's the only way it could satisfy the cap rules.

At it's root, it's too much money going out from the Lakers.  The real point is is that if that rumor / deal was real it would've been acted on without a second thought.  That's a steal for the Lakers.

#39 Ventiquattro

Ventiquattro

All-Star

• 6,378 posts

Posted May 23, 2017 - 08:33 PM

When Wade opts out.. Anyway, the trade is a speculation.. 

We would've heard rumors about Butler to Celtics for the 1st pick before they engage with the Lakers for Russell and Deng's salary, I assume.

Edited by Ventiquattro, May 23, 2017 - 08:33 PM.

#40 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,369 posts

Posted May 23, 2017 - 11:03 PM

When Wade opts out.. Anyway, the trade is a speculation.. 

We would've heard rumors about Butler to Celtics for the 1st pick before they engage with the Lakers for Russell and Deng's salary, I assume.

It would make more sense for BOS to hold out for Paul George for the #1 pick...there is no reason for them to accept a lesser player this far away from the draft.

tenor.gif

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Jimmy Butler, Luol Deng, DAngelo Russell, 28th Pick

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users