The tanking era is officially over!

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 Ventiquattro

Ventiquattro

All-Star

• 6,559 posts

Posted May 17, 2017 - 01:02 PM

I don't think Lonzo is a bust, on the contrary, I think he's a really talented, high impact player who could really help the Lakers. But because of his dad, choosing him feels like signing a pact with the devil. 

I don't want that guy anywhere near the Lakers.

That was an issue for me, but I could get over it. As Lonzo plays the attention might be geared towards him more than his Daddy..

#22 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,537 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted May 17, 2017 - 02:37 PM

This is actually the least excited I've been about a pick in the last couple of years.

Right...

Ingram was the most exciting. And Towns as well as Russell.

#23 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,928 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted May 17, 2017 - 02:53 PM

I wish we could make a trade for a 2018 1st rnder from a team that sucks...

Zion Williamson is a BEAST!!!!!

This is the guy Majesty WISHES Randle played like!!!

tenor.gif

#24 UKUGA

UKUGA

Superstar

• 7,455 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted May 17, 2017 - 06:44 PM

But we wont be 'just' missing the playoffs. To sniff the playoffs in the west means that the team has to have two things:

1. Capability of playing defense on the opposing team.

2. All-stars to carry the team.

We have neither. Just a bunch of young guys with potential that we probably wont see for at least another 2 years. We likely wont be sniffing top 3 anymore (please god), but we'll be in the mix for a top 10 pick in 2019.

Over the next two years we will push for a play-off spot.

Next year, we won't make the playoffs, but our pick will likely be around 6-8, which is not that sexy. Additionally, we know we don't have it and we don't have to think about losing. We also don't have to make contingency plans.

But hey, if I'm wrong and we are still bad next year and the year after that, then we have another lottery pick waiting for us in 2019.

Personally, I believe the worst is behind us. And I'm not gong to sit her and debate the future. We just have to see how it plays out.

Don't feed the trolls. 

#25 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,550 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 17, 2017 - 10:55 PM

He's not even the best prospect we've had in the last 2 years.

Watch Russell and Ingram finally live up to their potential once we have a true facilitator on the team who can also shoot.

• GCMD likes this

#26 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 8,487 posts

Posted May 17, 2017 - 11:03 PM

Watch Russell and Ingram finally live up to their potential once we have a true facilitator on the team who can also shoot.

They'll both live up to their potential whether he is there or not.

His skill set is valuable and will help. Let's not make Lonzo some transcendent talent that he's not even close to being.
  • Ventiquattro, Jody Smokes and lakerfan98 like this

#27 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 3,818 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted May 18, 2017 - 08:14 AM

His skill set is valuable and will help. Let's not make Lonzo some transcendent talent that he's not even close to being.

He is at the age where he should be delivering pizza and taking 100 level college courses. Maybe we should give him a few years before we pass judgment on his NBA career.

#28 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 15,054 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982

Posted May 18, 2017 - 10:01 AM

Still a long way from a playoff team, but we will see what Rob and Magic can manufacture this summer.

#29 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,056 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted May 18, 2017 - 11:04 AM

Its looking to me like the lakers will set sights on PG and Boogie NEXT offseason, and maybe work a trade for another key piece this offseason (though i'm trying to figure out what position would make the most sense to solidify this season)

If i'm right, i expect to see a lot of BG at SG this season to get him PT there before PG comes in at SF 

Edited by kball, May 18, 2017 - 11:05 AM.

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#30 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 2,714 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted May 18, 2017 - 03:35 PM

Here's the news if you weren't paying attention this team never tanked never! Or theyd lose those last few games when it counted for something.

Edited by DaSmoothOperator, May 18, 2017 - 03:36 PM.

#31 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,928 posts

Posted May 18, 2017 - 03:37 PM

I don't think that was his point.  It was that he will make it easier for them by letting them play to their strengths and taking some of the floor general and shot creation duties off their hands.  That's very important, see Draymond Green.

• bfc1125roy likes this

tenor.gif

#32 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 8,487 posts

Posted May 18, 2017 - 03:40 PM

I don't think that was his point. It was that he will make it easier for them by letting them play to their strengths and taking some of the floor general and shot creation duties off their hands. That's very important, see Draymond Green.

What are you talking about? He called Lonzo our best prospect since Kobe.

Everyone is in agreement on the impact Lonzo can have on this team and our young players, and everything else you talked about. I'm simply not about to make the kid out to be a transcendent star when that's never been the case.

#33 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 8,487 posts

Posted May 18, 2017 - 03:45 PM

He is at the age where he should be delivering pizza and taking 100 level college courses. Maybe we should give him a few years before we pass judgment on his NBA career.

I don't understand how me saying Lonzo won't be a transcendent piece is a knock on the kid.

He's going to be VERY good for this team based on everything we've seen from him at the college level, but he still has very obvious holes in his game.

Edited by Massacre, May 18, 2017 - 03:45 PM.

#34 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,537 posts

Posted May 18, 2017 - 08:07 PM

Ingram has more prospect potential. I think Russell will be a better players than Ball but they both have high potential.

#35 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,550 posts

Posted May 18, 2017 - 09:42 PM

I don't understand how me saying Lonzo won't be a transcendent piece is a knock on the kid.

He's going to be VERY good for this team based on everything we've seen from him at the college level, but he still has very obvious holes in his game.

Ingram has more prospect potential. I think Russell will be a better players than Ball but they both have high potential.

Ingram to me is a huge wildcard. People keep comparing him to Durant but that's not really him other than his body type and ability to move well at his height. Plus look at Durant's first season you knew he was gonna be an all-star. We don't know anything about Ingram yet. He could be really good or just a backup 3 & D type of guy. 

I expected more of Russell this season but our team also sucked. Usually in the second to third years you can really tell whether a guy is gonna be an all-star or not. I'll give him one more year before we make that call. Randle has the same timeline too, and it's his contract year. 

What I meant by best prospect is that there hasn't been this much hype around any guy we've drafted. People were excited about Russell but it was more a shock about not picking Okafor. Ingram like I said has a lot to prove. But neither of them dominated hs ball and brought a [expletive]ty team back to life quite like Lonzo Ball. Even if he doesn't end up being our best player, he will be a Draymond Green type of guy like GCMD said, holding the team together, being the floor general and setting guys up in a position to succeed. Jason Kidd with a better shot is a good comparison. 

#36 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,550 posts

Posted May 18, 2017 - 09:47 PM

This article explains well what I'm trying to say.

https://www.si.com/n...scouting-report

#37 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,928 posts

Posted May 20, 2017 - 02:03 PM

What are you talking about? He called Lonzo our best prospect since Kobe.

Everyone is in agreement on the impact Lonzo can have on this team and our young players, and everything else you talked about. I'm simply not about to make the kid out to be a transcendent star when that's never been the case.

Not in that post...if you have other beef with him I have nothing to do with that.

tenor.gif

#38 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,928 posts

Posted May 20, 2017 - 02:07 PM

I don't think "most important player" and "best scorer" is the same thing.  Just like J Kidd, I think Ball can be our most important player WITHOUT being our best scorer.  I don't Russell can.

tenor.gif

#39 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 8,157 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted May 20, 2017 - 02:49 PM

I don't think "most important player" and "best scorer" is the same thing. Just like J Kidd, I think Ball can be our most important player WITHOUT being our best scorer. I don't Russell can.

Ingram to me is a huge wildcard. People keep comparing him to Durant but that's not really him other than his body type and ability to move well at his height. Plus look at Durant's first season you knew he was gonna be an all-star. We don't know anything about Ingram yet. He could be really good or just a backup 3 & D type of guy.

I expected more of Russell this season but our team also sucked. Usually in the second to third years you can really tell whether a guy is gonna be an all-star or not. I'll give him one more year before we make that call. Randle has the same timeline too, and it's his contract year.

What I meant by best prospect is that there hasn't been this much hype around any guy we've drafted. People were excited about Russell but it was more a shock about not picking Okafor. Ingram like I said has a lot to prove. But neither of them dominated hs ball and brought a [expletive]ty team back to life quite like Lonzo Ball. Even if he doesn't end up being our best player, he will be a Draymond Green type of guy like GCMD said, holding the team together, being the floor general and setting guys up in a position to succeed. Jason Kidd with a better shot is a good comparison.

Jason Kidd with a better shot may be the best PG ever! I think we need to slow down with these comparisons.

I also haven't heard anyone compare Ingram to Durant. I generally hear people say PG.

We gotta stop comparing everyone to all time greats though lol. KD type talent doesn't just show up every year in the draft.

Edited by kidpolean, May 20, 2017 - 02:50 PM.

#40 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,537 posts

Posted May 20, 2017 - 03:23 PM

Russell was often our most important player.

Also J Kidd is the best defensive PG plus the best rebounding PG besides Magic....including Westbrook and an all time great offensive player.

He and David Robinson always get disrespected around this time.

Jason Kidd didn't have a two top 10 teammates.

David Robinson was a league leading scorer and DPOY. Do you know how great of a player that is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users