11 replies to this topic

#1 kray28

kray28

Off The Bench

• 2,563 posts
  • Fan Since:1988
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 04, 2017 - 06:25 AM

There was news a few days after the great ESPN purge that they had (quietly) hired Adrian Wojnarowski. This Deadspin article makes it clear that the hiring was directly related to ESPN NBA purge which saw Henry Abbott, Marc Stein, Chad Ford, Ethan Sherwood Strauss, Justin Verrier, and Calvin Watkins lose their jobs. These guys were all apparently on Woj's enemies list and got the boot. Apparently Woj will be bringing most of his staff at The Vertical with him to ESPN. 

http://deadspin.com/...espn-1794817931

LOL.

livin' in a river of darkness beneath the neon lights

pkray.png

#2 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 25,724 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted May 04, 2017 - 08:10 AM

I think this is a bit of a stretch. ESPN has been losing a lot of money lately and they probably are revamping their style. They never break any stories and have just become a tmz of sports. They are probably focusing on reporters with strong sources from now on to fix this. Having woj alone will make then the #1 NBA source now. 

#3 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 3,372 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 04, 2017 - 08:46 AM

I have barely watched ESPN in the last 3 years or so.  Mostly just for games.  I'll watch more now with Woj on board and I'm definitely not happy about it haha.    

#4 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 10,852 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted May 04, 2017 - 09:34 AM

There was the word that Woj and Stien do not like each other. Apparently, Woj was not lied by a few of those guys that were released. To link the two, is crazy to think of, but it makes you think. Politics are everywhere and even the evil sports network has it.

#5 kray28

kray28

Off The Bench

• 2,563 posts

Posted May 04, 2017 - 10:42 AM

Looks like the purge got rid of most of the guys who were in the Hollinger camp (Woj and Hollinger cannot stand each other). Stein wasn't a Hollinger guy (like Abbott) just a competitive rival of Woj though.

I don't know whether this will improve their poor NBA reporting....but it seems like a positive move toward more "breaking news" type material instead of stats hyped agenda driven opinion/puff pieces that masqueraded as quality reporting.

Edited by kray28, May 04, 2017 - 10:42 AM.

pkray.png

#6 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 12,718 posts
  • Fan Since:Late '80s

Posted May 04, 2017 - 10:59 AM

interesting stuff...not a good way to come in if this theory ends up holding any water

Posted Image

#7 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 25,724 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted May 04, 2017 - 11:32 AM

Personally I'm really happy that ESPN did this purge. Just look at that list of reporters and none of them are good sources of info. Stein is the only guy there that I would say gets insider info but he has gotten really bad in the past couple years. So ESPN was pretty much paying these guys to write stories about stuff everyone already knows. Just look at a typical ESPN article. Nothing interesting is in them at all. They grab one or 2 simple quotes then write a whole article on it. It reminds me of the stuff students write when they need to add extra content to fill the required word count. Its the same reason why they are getting away from team beat reporters. There is not enough news to require daily articles on each NBA team.Cuban actually was talking about this a little while back. It creates an environment where reporters are going to try to create bs stories because there just isn't anything out there to write about. 

The content Woj and his team puts out is exactly what people want. Simple facts about what is happening. Look at the trade deadline. Everyone interested in it was watching that yahoo stream and getting live updates on what was happening. You could never get that on ESPN and there is no reason why ESPN should be getting destroyed by The Vertical which is a very new and small group. 

I mean its sad people lost their jobs but ESPN has been failing badly to a point where they could easily go under and its mainly because the content creators are not that good. ESPN has been killing Disney for a while now so this big change really had to happen eventually. 

• kray28, martin90 and lakerfan98 like this

#8 Tensai

Tensai

Superstar

• 8,198 posts

Posted May 04, 2017 - 10:06 PM

All those names combined does not make one Woj. Quality is bigger than quantity when it comes to journalism.

fXlFKv8.gif

#9 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,563 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 04, 2017 - 10:13 PM

There was news a few days after the great ESPN purge that they had (quietly) hired Adrian Wojnarowski. This Deadspin article makes it clear that the hiring was directly related to ESPN NBA purge which saw Henry Abbott, Marc Stein, Chad Ford, Ethan Sherwood Strauss, Justin Verrier, and Calvin Watkins lose their jobs. These guys were all apparently on Woj's enemies list and got the boot. Apparently Woj will be bringing most of his staff at The Vertical with him to ESPN. 

http://deadspin.com/...espn-1794817931

LOL.

Woj is good, but i'm not sure he is that good.

Too bad Stein and Ford lost their jobs, but i despise Henry Abbott and Ethan SHerwood Strauss, so its good they're gone.

• kray28 likes this

#10 kray28

kray28

Off The Bench

• 2,563 posts

Posted May 05, 2017 - 12:29 PM

Woj is good, but i'm not sure he is that good.

Too bad Stein and Ford lost their jobs, but i despise Henry Abbott and Ethan SHerwood Strauss, so its good they're gone.

Ford is a hack too. Got caught red handed changing his draft ratings after the fact.

http://deadspin.com/...t-bo-1681631642

• androsays, Xinxin and lakerfan98 like this

pkray.png

#11 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 15,061 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted May 08, 2017 - 05:24 PM

All those people let go have made ESPN much, much better.

So if he's behind it, the guy did a damn fine job.

• kray28 and Jackson like this

#12 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Starter

• 5,161 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted May 15, 2017 - 05:29 AM

I think this is a bit of a stretch. ESPN has been losing a lot of money lately and they probably are revamping their style. They never break any stories and have just become a tmz of sports. They are probably focusing on reporters with strong sources from now on to fix this. Having woj alone will make then the #1 NBA source now. 

More like the MSNBC of sports. As they get more political their ratings have begun to drop. 

https://nypost.com/2...e-hurting-espn/

You can find more articles, Whitlock has a good take on it as well. They are free to do as they please, but the ratings drop has little to do with on air personalities. They are interjecting politics into something that people watch to get away from all that. Got rid of Stage Steele and she did a great job, but she has made comments that do not agree with ESPN political views. 

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (2)