53 replies to this topic

#21 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,071 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted April 21, 2017 - 01:27 AM

I think Russell needs to be in his top physical form next season and the same can be said for Randle.

I think Ingram and Zubac are too young to ask them to go too hard. I rather they both shoot a ton this off-season.

I think of Randle can get his stamina and energy level consistently high...he can be part of something great.

With Russell...maximizing his body will help him on both sides of the ball
  • FranklinPeanuts and dazz like this

#22 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 53,195 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted April 21, 2017 - 03:08 AM

D'Angelo Russell at Draft Combine = 8.3% 
D'Angelo Russell on the LA Board = 12.3% 

Larry Nance, Jr. at Draft Combine = 6.4% 
Larry Nance, Jr. on the LA Board = 10.7% 

Jordan Clarkson at Draft Combine = 4.3% 
Jordan Clarkson on the LA Board = 11.8% 

Julius Randle at Draft Combine = 9.4% 
Julius Randle on the LA Board = 12.0% 

And so on and so forth. Either every single one of our players has somehow managed to gain body fat% despite being on an NBA regiment, or there are significantly different techniques about how to measure this. 

http://stats.nba.com...ombine-anthro/#!?SeasonYear=2014-15

Via GT

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#23 UKUGA

UKUGA

Superstar

• 7,024 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted April 21, 2017 - 04:34 AM

I remember Jamal Mashburn saying at the beginning of the 1992-3 Kentucky basketball season that he was at 4% body fat. 

Most people doubted the accuracy of that statement. 

The ignore feature is a healthy alternative to feeding trolls. 

#24 Miggs

Miggs

16x CHAMPS

• 2,479 posts
  • Name:Miguel
  • Fan Since:1988 Finals
  • Fav. Laker:Showtime,Shaq and Kobe

Posted April 21, 2017 - 07:19 AM

You even lift bro

#25 kray28

kray28

Off The Bench

• 2,337 posts
  • Fan Since:1988
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 21, 2017 - 12:16 PM

pure muscle is actually bad for sports like basketball where you need to have certain flexibility in your body.  and with purer muscle mass you find that players will get drained much quicker and prone to cramps and other injuries.  you want the players to be tone, not overly muscular.  Even in Magic's prime, he is probably sitting somewhere between 10-15% if not lower.

This myth is still around? Hypertrophy has no negative effects on your ability to play basketball. 

Magic is somewhat misguided in his body composition requirement. For some players, getting to 7-8% is pretty unreasonable, and probably impossible. 

btw: Magic was never at 6% bodyfat LOL. That's "ripped-totally shredded" territory and really hard to attain. 

livin' in a river of darkness beneath the neon lights

pkray.png

#26 manaro90

manaro90

Starter

• 4,838 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic, Nick Young

Posted April 21, 2017 - 02:46 PM

cant critizise dna..

Edited by manaro90, April 21, 2017 - 02:46 PM.

Cologne, Germany Baby! LAKERS FOR LIFE.  |   Add me Instagram: princealaddin90

#27 lonlyamongus

lonlyamongus

Off The Bench

• 2,230 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Eddie Jones, Kobe

Posted April 21, 2017 - 04:19 PM

This myth is still around? Hypertrophy has no negative effects on your ability to play basketball. 

Magic is somewhat misguided in his body composition requirement. For some players, getting to 7-8% is pretty unreasonable, and probably impossible. 

btw: Magic was never at 6% bodyfat LOL. That's "ripped-totally shredded" territory and really hard to attain. 

hypertrophy is not what we are talking about here.  how muscular you should be is the question.  and no way any basketball athlete would come close to resemble a body builder. 

i actually coach sports (not basketball though) for a while and when we condition the players, we force them to stretch before and after their physical sessions, so they would not become overtly muscular, and maintain a toned body.  

-------------------------------------------------------------

There no pure haters or pure fans.  It's just the ignorant and the observant.  The pure haters and pure fans are the ignorant, while the rest are the less observant or the more observant. 

#28 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 11,444 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 21, 2017 - 07:36 PM

I call bull[expletive] on this.  Lebron likely isn't even 6 percent BF.  Magic has never EVER been that lean.

There was one year where Magic reportedly got to around 6% bodyfat, it was the year he put together a great NBA season but had the hamstring injury flare up in the finals while we got swept by Detroit.  

I think 1988-89 Magic was the only year his bodyfat was that low aside from maybe his rookie year. 

I honestly think the tech for finding that kind of stuff out is better today than it was then, but 'reportedly/ Magic had around 6% bodyfat in the 1988-89 season.

• Busty Bluth and Rekal like this

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#29 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 11,444 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 21, 2017 - 07:39 PM

All those young guys have higher bodyfat now b/c they've likely put on weight and muscle since training and eating on NBA diets and salaries.  Again its a terrible way to track how fit someone is and even worse from a bball perspective.  Is the guy conditioned to run, is he agile, is he getting proper rest and treating his body right.  That's what needs to be looked at. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#30 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 26,528 posts
  • Name:Byron "Buster AKA Busty" Bluth

Posted April 21, 2017 - 07:59 PM

53e1bc44da01b5aca93cfca7d403e07d.jpg feed the children

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Busty Bluth, April 21, 2017 - 08:00 PM.

Buster_bcfa40_2218659_zpsbf0d8a7a.gif

#31 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

All-Star

• 6,227 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted April 22, 2017 - 10:40 AM

Do people not realize how difficult it is to maintain a body fat percentage within single digits let alone the 7-8% range?

Professional athlete or not, it is extremely hard to maintain 7-8 unless you are a marathon runner, sprinter, or something along those lines.  A guy like Michael Phelps floats around at 8% or a bit lower and he's a competitive swimmer whom burns thousands of calories when training.  For basketball, I'd say anything ranging from 10-13 is normal if not above average.  

Most of our young guys still have baby fat and even than are still attempting to put on muscle mass.  In order to gain weight, they'll need to put on small increments of fat as well.

• manaro90 and Jody Smokes like this

#32 manaro90

manaro90

Starter

• 4,838 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic, Nick Young

Posted April 22, 2017 - 11:11 AM

i also have baby fat and im already 26...well thats what my momma still says.. lol  :D  :D  :D

Cologne, Germany Baby! LAKERS FOR LIFE.  |   Add me Instagram: princealaddin90

#33 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Legend

• 11,324 posts

Posted April 22, 2017 - 01:33 PM

I'm 12% fat and 88% nut

I like to dip my feet in toilet water & smell them.

#34 Ventiquattro

Ventiquattro

All-Star

• 6,030 posts

Posted April 22, 2017 - 01:59 PM

8 percent fat isn't hard for athletes. Sacre reportedly was a 3% fat player. Why is this an ongoing discussion? Magic is probably speaking figuratively and what he told players individually based on coaches advice may very well be different than a target of 7% for all players.

#35 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 7,030 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted April 22, 2017 - 04:19 PM

8 percent fat isn't hard for athletes. Sacre reportedly was a 3% fat player. Why is this an ongoing discussion? Magic is probably speaking figuratively and what he told players individually based on coaches advice may very well be different than a target of 7% for all players.

8 percent is extremely difficult for anybody! I played sports my entire life and never got under 11%. Keeping your body fat that low takes extreme dieting, a strict weight lifting schedule, and you'd likely have to reduce the amount of cardio you do to achieve it. Being an athlete makes it even more difficult because of the amount of cardio you have to do.

Who said Sacre had 3% bodyfat?

Bodybuilders don't even remain that low. They live around 6-10 percent bodyfat then drop lower for competitions. It's nearly impossible to sustain 3% body fat long term.

#36 Ventiquattro

Ventiquattro

All-Star

• 6,030 posts

Posted April 22, 2017 - 04:32 PM

8 percent is extremely difficult for anybody! I played sports my entire life and never got under 11%. Keeping your body fat that low takes extreme dieting, a strict weight lifting schedule, and you'd likely have to reduce the amount of cardio you do to achieve it. Being an athlete makes it even more difficult because of the amount of cardio you have to do.

Who said Sacre had 3% bodyfat?

Bodybuilders don't even remain that low. They live around 6-10 percent bodyfat then drop lower for competitions. It's nearly impossible to sustain 3% body fat long term.

One of the Lakers athletic trainers, Defrancessco or whatever his name is. 

#37 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 7,030 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted April 22, 2017 - 05:20 PM

One of the Lakers athletic trainers, Defrancessco or whatever his name is.

Hmm...maybe the measure differently. IDK but I have a hard time believing any NBA player has a body fat percentage that low

#38 Ventiquattro

Ventiquattro

All-Star

• 6,030 posts

Posted April 22, 2017 - 05:24 PM

Hmm...maybe the measure differently. IDK but I have a hard time believing any NBA player has a body fat percentage that low

Howard claimed he maintained 6-8% throughout his career..

My background of nutrition is super poor, but from what i've read throughout the years that players are able to maintain low body fat.

Cristiano Ronaldo has <3% body fat(maybe for a stretch in his career), so there's that.

#39 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

All-Star

• 6,227 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted April 22, 2017 - 10:56 PM

No one can maintain a 3-4% body fat composition for more than a stretch of a week or two let alone even be in that range and considered healthy.  

It's actually unhealthy considering your body requires certain essential fats that which already take up about 3-5%.

For a basketball player, anything within the 8-12 range is already superb.  

#40 lakersince75

lakersince75

Sixth Man

• 2,878 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted April 23, 2017 - 05:55 AM

The bottom line I believe Magic is shooting for is for the team to be in the best hape possible to do something different. He may being saying "we may not be the most skilled team, but we won't be tired in the fourth quarter after running all game"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users