Photo

Magic Johnson - "We don't want anyone over 7-8% body fat anymore"

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,245 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted April 20, 2017 - 12:47 PM

Magic Johnson "We don't want anyone over 7-8% body fat anymore"

C94Y3pgV0AAsnGc.jpg

“We told every player that they must improve and we want them to be in the best physical shape of their lives. We don’t want anybody over seven or eight percent body fat anymore, and basically all but one or two players were in double-figures in body fat (last season),” Johnson said. “We can’t have that. We told them that this is all about excellence now. So you’ve got to be disciplined and put the work in.” 
Read: http://www.silverscr...video-interview

giphy.gif

...ok.....

bkcejdixwsky.png

Here's the list 

Body Fat % List from highest to lowest 

This should've been from right after the Lou Will trade (since he's not on there but Calderon still is) 

Body Composition Tracker: lbs, BF% 

Zubac: 263.8, 18.4% 
World Peace: 254.5, 14.9% 
Deng: 228, 14.9% 
Young: 214.4, 13.6% 
Mosgov: 258.4, 13.4% 
Black: 257.4, 13.1% 
Russell: 197.9, 12.4% 
Randle: 256.3, 12% 
Clarkson: 196.1, 11.8% 
Nance: 235.7, 10.7% 
Ingram: 189.9, 9.2% 
Calderon: 191.9, 8.9% 
Robinson: 250, 5.3% 

Total Workout Sessions (since start of season?) 

Zubac: 460 
Ingram: 434 
Robinson: 385 
Russell: 342 
Mosgov: 319 
Randle: 318 
Black: 312 
World Peace: 308 
Nance: 307 
Clarkson: 254 
Young: 144 
Deng: 116 
Ennis: 22 
Nwaba: 12 
Brewer: 4 

Zubac was our hardest worker but had the highest bodyfat mainly due to growing into his body which is to be expected.  This was right after the Lou Williams trade which is why Calderon is there but Williams is not. 

Only 3 players were in the single digits of bodyfat last season. 

For kid's it's understandable why their body fat would be higher, veterans unless they're 'done' don't have any excuses for being out of shape. 

Guys like Deng should have no excuses for their body fat being that high. And I think what should factor into not just their diets but their workouts and how many sessions they are doing. Such as if you're in the top 3 of workout sessions, your body fat WILL drop as your body evolves. That's to be expected.

Problem is.. I don't think Magic understands this. 

Here is the thing, a low bodyfat doesn't mean stick figure 

243kdg9.jpg

But there needs to be fat first

I think grassfed Tim has them all on the right path tbh. I doubt Magic understands how rare having every player under 10% bodyfat would be and potentially how draining it could also be to force this on them THIS early as their bodies are still filling out. 

A lot of it is actually genetics too. I don't want players near killing themselves in the off-season and having no legs throughout the season cause they forced themselves to make weight or bodyfat. Has Magic never seen what that does to boxers? So either he'd be moronic or he's just speaking "buzz words" to sound good. 

Making that a goal would potentially be torture on a 19-22 year old's body that is still growing.  It can also have a detrimental effect on your stamina, so it's much better to not force your body against it. 

So I only hope Magic is blowing smoke on the "no one lower than 7-8% bodyfat!" and instead is just making it a necessity and precedent to be in great shape come training camp. 

At this point I can only hope that he isn't serious to the note on that. 

giphy.gif

Anyway, thoughts? 

On the bright side, diet being a major factor could cut out 2-4% body fat in and of itself, which would be a much better goal than forcing guys to have to be 7-8%. 

Edited by Majesty, April 20, 2017 - 01:00 PM.

• GCMD and Mr Terrific like this

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#2 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,422 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted April 20, 2017 - 01:07 PM

If Randle and Russell can get their.

#3 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 11,965 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 20, 2017 - 01:14 PM

I get what they are shooting for but I don't understand assigning strict arbitrary numbers to something like BF%.  I mean if someone is an outlier and their percentage is in FATASS range then sure but being 7-8% vs 10-11% may not mean very much in terms of performance. 

• GCMD and Klewfish like this

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#4 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Do you wanna tickle my big ol' long toes?

• 11,508 posts

Posted April 20, 2017 - 01:19 PM

The future.

I like to dip my feet in toilet water & smell them.

#5 Wilt Chamberneezy

Wilt Chamberneezy

Rookie

• 923 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Shaq, Kobe, Fisher,Fox, Horry

Posted April 20, 2017 - 01:30 PM

TRob cut as hell. Don't know why he is fixated on that range.

#6 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,522 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 20, 2017 - 02:53 PM

Don't know how they're calculating bf%, but 7-8% isn't a good goal . I also doubt Robinson is 5%, that's bodybuilder level and it's not sustainable for more than a few days during a competition.

Most machines/methods that calculate bodyfat% can be several % points off, so I don't think this is a good metric to use to measure performance. 

If you want to look at what type of culture measuring bodyfat % creates, read the chapters in Shaq's book about the Miami Heat. He said as a big buy his body was never meant to be such low bodyfat, and trying so hard to be under a metric is what lead to all those injuries while he was there. So I hope we don't push Zubac to be that low. 

I also hope Ingrams bodyfat goes up. The kid weighs 190 at 6'9 and you want him to cut bodyfat?? That's insane, and everyone knows you can't gain weight or even muscle without gaining fat. 

Counting workouts though, I have no problem with. 

Edited by bfc1125roy, April 20, 2017 - 02:54 PM.

• Jody Smokes likes this

#7 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 11,965 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 20, 2017 - 04:22 PM

It's why I always laugh at those quotes about players saying they added 15 lbs of muscle over the offseason lol.  I had someone argue with me here when D Rose said he did this on the board.  Scientifically it's not possible to put on that level of muscle in a few months w/o anabolic steroids involved and you put on 15lbs of straight muscle you will look like a totally different human being.  

Don't know how they're calculating bf%, but 7-8% isn't a good goal . I also doubt Robinson is 5%, that's bodybuilder level and it's not sustainable for more than a few days during a competition.

Most machines/methods that calculate bodyfat% can be several % points off, so I don't think this is a good metric to use to measure performance. 

If you want to look at what type of culture measuring bodyfat % creates, read the chapters in Shaq's book about the Miami Heat. He said as a big buy his body was never meant to be such low bodyfat, and trying so hard to be under a metric is what lead to all those injuries while he was there. So I hope we don't push Zubac to be that low. 

I also hope Ingrams bodyfat goes up. The kid weighs 190 at 6'9 and you want him to cut bodyfat?? That's insane, and everyone knows you can't gain weight or even muscle without gaining fat. 

Counting workouts though, I have no problem with. 

• avcpl and bfc1125roy like this

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#8 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 7,942 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted April 20, 2017 - 04:47 PM

Robinson is nowhere near 5% bodyfat lol
  • bfc1125roy likes this

#9 lakersince75

lakersince75

Sixth Man

• 3,089 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted April 20, 2017 - 04:47 PM

Reach for the stars and maybe you'll grab a cloud. I love stretch goals!!!  Sounds like they want us to be a running team. We shall see

• FranklinPeanuts and fido like this

#10 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

dwight got traded for the ends of the white🍞& an 🍊

• 8,692 posts
  • Name:Prince George
  • Fan Since:2014
  • Fav. Laker:Blimey!

Posted April 20, 2017 - 05:07 PM

Deng needs to lay off that African food & Mosgov needs stop pretending his Vodka is water.

FACEBOOK MR TERRIFIC HD Bottom Line Is We're Gonna Win With You Or Without You And If You Don't Get That, Then It's Best You Go Somewhere Else--Dean Smith

#11 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 7,942 posts

Posted April 20, 2017 - 05:07 PM

Reach for the stars and maybe you'll grab a cloud. I love stretch goals!!!  Sounds like they want us to be a running team. We shall see

That's ridiculously low though. It's an unattainable goal!
  • bfc1125roy likes this

#12 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,245 posts

Posted April 20, 2017 - 05:18 PM

Robinson is nowhere near 5% bodyfat lol

Nerdfitness_Men.png

I'd say of our team, Robinson was probably the closest one to it 

Thomas-Robinson.jpg

Seems like

"With the 28th Pick, the Los Angeles Lakers select...."  

fae7dd3e63ecd9dfeade52b1d3c7d761.jpg

• kball likes this

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#13 lonlyamongus

lonlyamongus

Off The Bench

• 2,231 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Eddie Jones, Kobe

Posted April 20, 2017 - 05:26 PM

pure muscle is actually bad for sports like basketball where you need to have certain flexibility in your body.  and with purer muscle mass you find that players will get drained much quicker and prone to cramps and other injuries.  you want the players to be tone, not overly muscular.  Even in Magic's prime, he is probably sitting somewhere between 10-15% if not lower.

• FranklinPeanuts and GCMD like this

-------------------------------------------------------------

There no pure haters or pure fans.  It's just the ignorant and the observant.  The pure haters and pure fans are the ignorant, while the rest are the less observant or the more observant. 

#14 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,245 posts

Posted April 20, 2017 - 05:35 PM

pure muscle is actually bad for sports like basketball where you need to have certain flexibility in your body.  and with purer muscle mass you find that players will get drained much quicker and prone to cramps and other injuries.  you want the players to be tone, not overly muscular.  Even in Magic's prime, he is probably sitting somewhere between 10-15% if not lower.

yeah, cause this definitely isn't 7-8% bodyfat

C94Y3pgV0AAsnGc.jpg

• GCMD likes this

#15 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 8,135 posts

Posted April 20, 2017 - 05:37 PM

The actual figure is not the point, I believe, Magic is trying to make. As a former player he would know players relax and tend to gain weight in summer. He wants them to not to fall into that pattern.

The exaggeration comes from apparently our new motto "striving for excellence". It is a positive reinforcement either way.

• UKUGA, fido and manaro90 like this

fXlFKv8.gif

#16 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 10,734 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted April 20, 2017 - 05:43 PM

I was thinking the samething. Just something to say to make sure that the players stay in shape and not come in out of shape. There is no way that these players are coming in ripped like that.

Edited by FranklinPeanuts, April 20, 2017 - 06:11 PM.

• UKUGA and Tensai like this

#17 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 7,942 posts

Posted April 20, 2017 - 07:33 PM

The actual figure is not the point, I believe, Magic is trying to make. As a former player he would know players relax and tend to gain weight in summer. He wants them to not to fall into that pattern.

The exaggeration comes from apparently our new motto "striving for excellence". It is a positive reinforcement either way.

You gotta be careful when setting unrealistic goals because they can cause stress and anxiety that has a negative impact on the team. In high school, our new football coach said the goal for our D was to give up less than 14 points a game. This did nothing but cause the D to lose faith in the coach and think that he was crazy.

Edited by kidpolean, April 20, 2017 - 07:34 PM.

#18 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,522 posts

Posted April 20, 2017 - 09:23 PM

Nerdfitness_Men.png

I'd say of our team, Robinson was probably the closest one to it 

Thomas-Robinson.jpg

Seems like

"With the 28th Pick, the Los Angeles Lakers select...."  

fae7dd3e63ecd9dfeade52b1d3c7d761.jpg

Everyone will look different at those body fat %s. It's genetics that determine where you store your fat. But I guarantee nobody in the NBA is walking around at 5% bodyfat, your body can't sustain itself at that level. I'd much rather these guys get better at basketball, rather than worrying about their bf%. It's a useless metric unless you're trying to enter a bodybuilding competition. 

#19 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,522 posts

Posted April 20, 2017 - 09:28 PM

yeah, cause this definitely isn't 7-8% bodyfat

C94Y3pgV0AAsnGc.jpg

That's not 7-8%. You would likely be more vascular at that level. But then again, we don't know because everyone's genetics are totally different. And different people will look completely different at a given bodyfat %. It's also just very difficult to calculate, even DEXA scans can be off by several percentage points. 

#20 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,245 posts

Posted April 20, 2017 - 10:58 PM

That's not 7-8%. You would likely be more vascular at that level. But then again, we don't know because everyone's genetics are totally different. And different people will look completely different at a given bodyfat %. It's also just very difficult to calculate, even DEXA scans can be off by several percentage points. 

There was one year where Magic reportedly got to around 6% bodyfat, it was the year he put together a great NBA season but had the hamstring injury flare up in the finals while we got swept by Detroit.  

I think 1988-89 Magic was the only year his bodyfat was that low aside from maybe his rookie year. 

I honestly think the tech for finding that kind of stuff out is better today than it was then, but 'reportedly/ Magic had around 6% bodyfat in the 1988-89 season.

Edited by Majesty, April 20, 2017 - 11:01 PM.

• bfc1125roy likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)