Photo

2017 Playoff Games

• Please log in to reply
408 replies to this topic

#201 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,398 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 27, 2017 - 11:56 PM

Watched us run through the Western Conference in 2001 and destroy Popovich's Spurs team in their prime, and didn't complain.    

Like I said, we can go all we want about "Celtics and Lakers never met three times" but there hasn't been parity in the NBA since the league almost died because of it.  If not for the lack of parity in the 80s because of Bird and Magic the NBA would have died.  Period. Point Blank. 

The league thrives on parity and extended periods of dominance.  

Like I said, with all the other whistles and bells about 'back in the day' and stuff thrown out the window. 

In the 80s Lakers or Celtics were in how many finals again? 

And from 1999-2017  how many Finals didn't involve San Antonio, Los Angeles, or a LeBron Super Team? 

On top of that from 1999-2017 how many teams that weren't the Spurs, Lakers or a LeBron Super Team won the championship? 

That's 18 years, that's part of this years draft class not even being born yet.   Put things into perspective.   

LeBron Super Teams have been in the Finals in the East for the last 7 seasons and if not for injuries the Celtics Super Team may have been in 3-4 of them.  Just because the West has a dynasty of a team right now is not the time to cry "Foul".  if Garnett had never gotten injured the Lakers and the Celtics would have very likely met in the Finals 3 times from 2007-2010.   

This Finals marks the 11th in a row with either LeBron or Kobe.  And 15 of the last 18 NBA Finals have involved Kobe or LeBron.  Again.. puts things into perspective a bit. ALL of the last 19 have involved Duncan, Kobe or LeBron. 

If you find the lack of parity boring, then simply don't watch and find something more entertaining to do/watch invest your efforts into that are more fulfilling to what you want out of sports. 

Edited by Majesty, May 28, 2017 - 12:14 AM.

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#202 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 15,309 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted May 28, 2017 - 03:48 AM

You've ignored my points with no rebuttal, I can only assume you're in a bit of denial of the problems the NBA has currently.  That's fine.  This imbalance is in no way similar to the Lakers / Celtics eras, or the Bulls, Pistons, Rockets or otherwise.  This is a wide gap between the good and the bad - WIDE.

I'm not crying foul, my point was clear and concise.  The NBA has cowered to small markets due to their long time mis-management, allowed them a leg up, then froze the league there because it keeps the squeaky wheels greased.  Meanwhile, as I said, fans of big markets become lemmings, rooting out of habit, not hope.  If you think the NBA doesn't know this, you're fooling yourself.  That's not the NBA, that's a league trying to create balance (although they're far form it) through legislation, not letting teams manage themselves into success.  The East has a dynasty as well, you're forgetting that.

Enjoy the Finals, enjoy the most lop-sided league in the history of professional basketball.  You're being sold a bill of goods disguising itself as NBA basketball.  When every team has at least a spitting chance, leagues thrive.  Right now, there are two teams in the NBA for a while to come.  if that enthralls you, we're on different sides of the fence.  No amount of typing the same rhetoric back and forth will convince each other.  I'll await the return of actual competition in the NBA, you watch this imbalanced mess all you want.  It's boring.

I've said what I said, and I'm not going back and forth on where the league stands.  Right now, it's the worst playoffs in all of sports and the regular season has been completely rendered moot.   That's not good news.

• UKUGA, Busty Bluth, bfc1125roy and 2 others like this

#203 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 12,516 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted May 28, 2017 - 07:35 AM

I watch a little because it the sport I love the most, but this is not good basketball to me. There is no competition with stars running to join orher stars. At least back in the day it was more balance and every team competed. The game to day is way too different in my opinion. Just about every commentator has spoken on sure, it's entertaining but this going to be a big problem for the league

The Drew League is more entertaining than the playoffs to me. Free games on the weekends, you never know who will come in and you get NBA players popping up. If this is going to be the next 2-3 championship finals series, count me out, that is boring
  • Busty Bluth likes this

#204 Tensai

Tensai

Hall Of Fame

• 9,627 posts

Posted May 28, 2017 - 07:57 AM

I think the reason playoffs this year feels more watered down is the ridiculous numbers and performances we've witnessed in the regular season.

If you make a person laugh too much, he is not gonna take the next joke with same enthusiasm. I think many of us have already moved on to next season.

Edited by Tensai, May 28, 2017 - 07:58 AM.

fXlFKv8.gif

#205 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,398 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 28, 2017 - 08:34 AM

You've ignored my points with no rebuttal, I can only assume you're in a bit of denial of the problems the NBA has currently.  That's fine.  This imbalance is in no way similar to the Lakers / Celtics eras, or the Bulls, Pistons, Rockets or otherwise.  This is a wide gap between the good and the bad - WIDE.

I'm not crying foul, my point was clear and concise.  The NBA has cowered to small markets due to their long time mis-management, allowed them a leg up, then froze the league there because it keeps the squeaky wheels greased.  Meanwhile, as I said, fans of big markets become lemmings, rooting out of habit, not hope.  If you think the NBA doesn't know this, you're fooling yourself.  That's not the NBA, that's a league trying to create balance (although they're far form it) through legislation, not letting teams manage themselves into success.  The East has a dynasty as well, you're forgetting that.

Enjoy the Finals, enjoy the most lop-sided league in the history of professional basketball.  You're being sold a bill of goods disguising itself as NBA basketball.  When every team has at least a spitting chance, leagues thrive.  Right now, there are two teams in the NBA for a while to come.  if that enthralls you, we're on different sides of the fence.  No amount of typing the same rhetoric back and forth will convince each other.  I'll await the return of actual competition in the NBA, you watch this imbalanced mess all you want.  It's boring.

I've said what I said, and I'm not going back and forth on where the league stands.  Right now, it's the worst playoffs in all of sports and the regular season has been completely rendered moot.   That's not good news.

Again, the Celtics and the Lakers were in how many finals in the 80s?  The majority of them.  

It was a 2 team league except for the occasional underdog story and till the Bad Boy Pistons came onto the scene.   

And that lack of parity saved the league, and you didn't deny it either, so I'll take that as you not giving a rebuttal too.   if not for the parity and dominance of "Magic and Bird" the league would have died.  Simple as that, and it has thrived on consistent dominance and putting a face to it ever since. 

Also, Golden State is not a small market. 

Edited by Majesty, May 28, 2017 - 08:36 AM.

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#206 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 8,462 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo AND LEBRON!

Posted May 28, 2017 - 11:49 AM

I'm down to see Cavs/Warriors 5 straight years.

I think it was injuries as much as anything that lead to worse than expected playoff series overall

Excited for  1. Lebron! (Still love me some Kobe, but damn this guy is amazing) 2. Another big get (Whether in FA or in a trade we need some attractions and closers) 3. Young Guys making big jump (Assuming we have anyone left after more necessary moves either genius ones or in desperation)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#207 RobBlake

RobBlake

Starter

• 4,991 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted May 29, 2017 - 08:23 AM

lakers went to how many game 5s,6s and 7s during their run? A lot. Even when Celtics and Lakers dominated games were close and you wouldn't necessarily be called crazy if you went for an underdog as anything could happen. Now? It's a joke.

ap1.png

#208 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 18,682 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted May 29, 2017 - 09:14 AM

It's not interesting Majesty.
  • UKUGA likes this

#209 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 4,972 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 29, 2017 - 09:26 AM

I'm down to see Cavs/Warriors 5 straight years.

I think it was injuries as much as anything that lead to worse than expected playoff series overall

Agreed.   

Edited by lakerfan98, May 29, 2017 - 09:27 AM.

#210 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Starter

• 5,383 posts
  • Name:Joe
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted May 30, 2017 - 04:43 PM

Warriors in 5.  I think this might be like Spurs vs Heat part 2...

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#211 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 28,999 posts
  • Name:Byron "Buster AKA Busty" Bluth

Posted May 30, 2017 - 05:41 PM

Cavs in 7.

#212 UKUGA

UKUGA

Superstar

• 7,982 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted May 31, 2017 - 06:35 AM

The only interesting thing so far in these play-offs has been the Celtics-Wizards series, and even then, most recognized the impending demolition ahead for the winner of that series. 

I do plan to enjoy the Finals, though.  And to Majesty's point, yes, I found other things to do with my time over the last several months. 

Don't feed the trolls. 

#213 JayTheGreat

JayTheGreat

Sixth Man

• 3,755 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted May 31, 2017 - 12:45 PM

I mean fido isn't wrong at all. I haven't watched a full game this post season. Better yet I think I've watched maybe 3 games. All were wizards and Boston. I either watched the first half or second. Bottom line is these playoffs have been horrible. It's not entertaining at all. At least back in the day it was competitive even if you knew who would win. This is on another level to the point it was pointless for these other teams to even play. Why not just give everyone the post season off then in June the Cavs and Warriors play a best of 7 series. That would've made more sense.
  • Busty Bluth and Jackson like this

#214 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 12,273 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted June 01, 2017 - 06:55 AM

These finals are going to be just as bad as the playoffs. Warriors heavily favored. LeBron is going to have to develop Kobe-esque instincts for him to carry this team. I hope he realizes this. A stepback Kyrie Irving 3 in a game 7 wont cut it this year.

#215 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 18,682 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted June 01, 2017 - 02:18 PM

GS is a great front running team but somewhere in the psyche of all the important players of GS is doubt.
Steph can be as bad as weird LeBron in the Finals. (Weird LeBron is the one who plays got potato and turnovers the ball late)
Draymond showed some 2nd rounder self doubt. Klay can get cold. And KD seems to have a fear of Bron.

Kyrie is a killer and Love and Thompson combined is a now underrated frontline.

That being said if KD and Steph can put themselves in legendary status with this title.

#216 stillshining

stillshining

Off The Bench

• 2,015 posts
  • Name:Adam
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:Slava Medvedenko

Posted June 01, 2017 - 04:28 PM

30 points on 54% shooting and 39.4% from downtown in his only other finals 5 years ago. Kevin Durant has proven he is not afraid of the spotlight and now is on a team with a better supporting cast against a worse defense. I wonder if they have LBJ guard him for extended minutes because I can't think of anyone else they can throw at him

#217 martin90

martin90

Off The Bench

• 2,178 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 01, 2017 - 07:23 PM

Cavs in 7.

i don't think so, if this reach 6 games would be a surprise.

GS in 5

#218 stillshining

stillshining

Off The Bench

• 2,015 posts
  • Name:Adam
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:Slava Medvedenko

Posted June 01, 2017 - 07:36 PM

Man the Cavs are gonna have to figure out something with Durant, he's tearing up whoever is guarding him and they're putting too much stress on Bron having him guard him and carry the offense. If KD can play Bron to a standstill or outplay him the Cavs have NO chance

#219 Tensai

Tensai

Hall Of Fame

• 9,627 posts

Posted June 01, 2017 - 07:37 PM

Watched bits and parts of it, but if the role players in Cavs do not come to play, they have zero chance to win a game in this series. Their defense is horrendous. You can't win against a team like Warriors with Lebron, Kyrie and Love. There has to be 7-8 players involved.

fXlFKv8.gif

#220 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 29,757 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted June 01, 2017 - 07:42 PM

Wow. That was a butt whooping. 

• Byron likes this

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users