Photo

Can we now all agree that Phil would have been a nightmare GM?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Chick Stern

Chick Stern

Rookie

• 791 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Big 4: West/Kareem/Magic/Kobe

Posted April 02, 2017 - 02:33 PM

http://www.espn.com/...n-left-meniscus

"You can't get much done in life if you only work on the days when you feel good."

--Jerry West

#2 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

All-Star

• 6,131 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted April 02, 2017 - 04:37 PM

While Phil's abilities as a GM have nothing to do with Derrick Rose's health concerns, yes he isn't that great of a GM.

Outside of drafting Porzingis, there aren't really any other good decisions he's made since.

#3 bigvee

bigvee

Legend

• 12,438 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted April 02, 2017 - 05:18 PM

Of all the things to get Phil on, Rose getting injured on game 70 something isn't one of them.

#4 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Hall Of Fame

• 9,507 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 02, 2017 - 05:31 PM

I think he's referring to trading for Rose in the first place. Which I don't remember the trade details of anyways.

Feel bad for Rose though. 

#5 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Legend

• 11,298 posts

Posted April 03, 2017 - 02:01 AM

Better than Mitch. 

I like to dip my feet in toilet water & smell them.

#6 bigvee

bigvee

Legend

• 12,438 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted April 03, 2017 - 10:28 AM

They have to deal with that Noah contract, we have to deal with the Deng and Moz contracts. Melo should waive his no trade clause this summer and Rose expires. They have a legit young star in Porzingis. I don't think they're in as bad of a place as people make it seem.
  • fido likes this

#7 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 15,973 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted April 03, 2017 - 06:01 PM

Porzingis is not going to going to be a superstar at all. He's a Bosh at best. 3rd best player in a title team if the first two are first ballot hall of famers

#8 Wilt Chamberneezy

Wilt Chamberneezy

Rookie

• 859 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Shaq, Kobe, Fisher,Fox, Horry

Posted April 03, 2017 - 09:27 PM

Would still take Porzingis over Randle

• ace™ and bfc1125roy like this

#9 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 7,136 posts

Posted April 04, 2017 - 04:51 AM

Porzingis is not going to going to be a superstar at all. He's a Bosh at best. 3rd best player in a title team if the first two are first ballot hall of famers

That is what they said for Dirk.

fXlFKv8.gif

#10 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 24,776 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted April 14, 2017 - 01:15 PM

Phil Jackson on Carmelo Anthony: "I think the direction with our team is that he would be better off somewhere else."

#11 Wilt Chamberneezy

Wilt Chamberneezy

Rookie

• 859 posts

Posted April 14, 2017 - 02:50 PM

He is not wrong

#12 JayTheGreat

JayTheGreat

Sixth Man

• 3,169 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted April 14, 2017 - 04:36 PM

Sources: Frustrated Kristaps Porzingis skips Knicks exit meetings http://es.pn/2nNJyrs
via @ESPN App http://es.pn/app

Man Phil should be fired. Like holy [expletive].

#13 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 11,372 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 14, 2017 - 05:27 PM

Phil isn't a good GM and Melo has never been a franchise leader.  Was a bad marriage to begin with.  It's the same reason why I never understand why half this board wanted Melo on this team.  He isn't leading anyone anywhere.  

• Chick Stern likes this

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#14 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 24,776 posts

Posted April 14, 2017 - 05:31 PM

He is not wrong

I agree that melo isn't good for that team but Phil basically just made it impossible for them to trade him for anything good. Also thats a great way to make every player on that team that like Melo to hate Phil now. 

• Majesty likes this

#15 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 24,776 posts

Posted April 14, 2017 - 05:35 PM

So heres a question. If Deng for Melo was offered would you take it? I could see Phil possibly making that trade too. 1 less year on Melo's contract and is a much better player. I'm not sure he would fit in that great but it would be a big upgrade to Deng of course. Worse case scenario his contract is one year less.

#16 Wilt Chamberneezy

Wilt Chamberneezy

Rookie

• 859 posts

Posted April 14, 2017 - 05:50 PM

Is Melo willing to take a step back and be a 2nd/3rd option tho? Plus he should slide to the 4 (like Deng), when playing. If so then maybe, he can still contribute at least 15 ppg. Idk how I would feel if we actually did get him. I wouldn't be excited

Edited by Wilt Chamberneezy, April 14, 2017 - 05:52 PM.

#17 stillshining

stillshining

Off The Bench

• 1,952 posts
  • Name:Adam
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:Slava Medvedenko

Posted April 15, 2017 - 02:10 AM

In all my years of watching basketball I don't remember a general manager so publicly opposed to his best player, it's honestly amazing to see. Melo is clearly lacking in key areas for a franchise player and I can definitely understand why gee frustrates Phil so much but the way he's went about this is all wrong. He's killed his trade value for one and he's made Melo want to make it impossible for him to trade him with how obvious Phil is making it in terms of trying to force him out.

Maybe the biggest thing that Phil is doing is alienating potential free agents with how they might be treated and it's probably even spread to some of the young guns on the team like Porzingis.

Edited by stillshining, April 15, 2017 - 02:11 AM.

• LakerGeezer likes this

#18 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 3,092 posts
  • Name:Ryan

Posted April 15, 2017 - 08:11 AM

Melo has been taking shots from Phil all season.  I wouldn't mind seeing him hit back.  Something like "maybe you'd be better off somewhere else."  He'd definitely win in the court of public opinion.  Knicks fans aren't exactly enamored with Melo but they hate Phil.  

#19 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 3,092 posts
  • Name:Ryan

Posted April 15, 2017 - 08:12 AM

So heres a question. If Deng for Melo was offered would you take it? I could see Phil possibly making that trade too. 1 less year on Melo's contract and is a much better player. I'm not sure he would fit in that great but it would be a big upgrade to Deng of course. Worse case scenario his contract is one year less.

No.

#20 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,419 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 15, 2017 - 09:51 AM

Yes but have you lost your mind? They would trade Melo to a contender for either expiring contracts or younger assets, neither of which Deng is.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users