Photo

What's the plan in 2018 if we lose the pick?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
101 replies to this topic

#21 LACAS

LACAS

Off The Bench

• 2,212 posts
  • Name:CAS
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted April 02, 2017 - 08:28 AM

Based on what

Just my opinion brah, thats all there is here, opinions and ideas.

• FranklinPeanuts, GCMD, UKUGA and 1 other like this

#22 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 2,714 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted April 25, 2017 - 12:12 PM

I agree more assets = more options, definitely would NOT trade for PG, sameo scenario as D12 a rental and hope he signs and if he didn't, you have lost assets from trade, better to wait it out till FA and if he's serious he'll sign here, meanwhile we work on being a super fit team and use the biggest asset youth to our advantage, run em outta da gym! Faster pace better transition and solid D. Mean time explore other trades and pray we keep the picks! Judging from how Lou Williams is playing for Rockets they came out ahead. PS I don't see another team trading for PG as he has made it known he wishes to come here, playing poker. As the FA date gets closer Bird will try to salvage something and they're only hope is to sign some folks to contribute, and Indy isn't a destination imo 

Edited by DaSmoothOperator, April 25, 2017 - 12:14 PM.

#23 Ring Chaser

Ring Chaser

The Innovators

• 1,716 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Lonzo "ZO2" Ball

Posted April 25, 2017 - 02:19 PM

B7_jXd6IMAEBZcX.jpg

"If you're going to lose, you have to lose because you can't be in the middle of the pack. You either have to be great or you have to be bad to get a good pick" - Earvin Magic Johnson

#24 LACAS

LACAS

Off The Bench

• 2,212 posts

Posted April 25, 2017 - 02:27 PM

Losing the pick would suck but reality is we never had the pick.

Lets go Silver.

#25 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,544 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 25, 2017 - 09:28 PM

Losing the pick would suck but reality is we never had the pick.

Lets go Silver.

IF we keep the pick the next season would be very different because we'd have money to spend, no incentive to lose and just a lot of options in terms of trades.

If lose the pick, we may have to accept another season of being bad.

• LACAS likes this

#26 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,550 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 25, 2017 - 10:13 PM

Keep in mind if we lose the pick this year we also lose our 2019 pick. 

• LACAS likes this

#27 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,544 posts

Posted April 25, 2017 - 10:17 PM

Keep in mind if we lose the pick this year we also lose our 2019 pick. 

Yeah, it would suck.

Given the value of draft picks these days, that pick could be the difference between getting a superstar - and getting nothing.

• Jackson and LACAS like this

#28 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,925 posts

Posted April 30, 2017 - 12:11 AM

I'm amazed that we aren't trying to package some of this youth with Moz and Deng already.  I wouldn't be shocked if Deng or Moz were shipped out with Randle or Clarkson along with the HOU pick to some team.  In fact, I don't see Magic or Pelinka tethering themselves to ANY of these young guys moving forward because it's quite possible they want to clean house of all that Mitch and Jim did and they may want to re-shape this team QUICKLY...which takes "developing" our youth off the table.

I don't think anyone is untouchable if we lose the pick...especially since getting rid of Moz and Deng present a much bigger challenge than luring top talent would be without the dysfunction going on in the Front Office (IMHO, of course).  Pelinka was a Super-Agent and most of these guys (current NBA Stars) idolized Magic and Kobe growing up so IMHO, clean house and try to lure a new face of the Franchise and build up from that.

Does anyone really think we don't trade one or more of our young guys this summer?  I do.  Russell, Ingram, Randle, Clarkson...at least one of them is gone this summer...best bets are Randle and Clarkson...if they lose the pick, DEFINITELY.

tenor.gif

#29 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 10,153 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted April 30, 2017 - 01:50 AM

Yeah, it would suck.

Given the value of draft picks these days, that pick could be the difference between getting a superstar - and getting nothing.

Well that's what we said about our past 3 lottery picks - yet no superstars flocking to the Lakers. Winning basketball and a team with a direction lands superstars. Not lottery picks with potential.

Edited by Jackson, April 30, 2017 - 01:50 AM.

• lakersince75 and LACAS like this

#30 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Hall Of Fame

• 9,765 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 30, 2017 - 07:37 AM

Well that's what we said about our past 3 lottery picks - yet no superstars flocking to the Lakers. Winning basketball and a team with a direction lands superstars. Not lottery picks with potential.

I think he was referring to potentially drafting a superstar (if we get to keep the pick) versus losing out on one (losing the pick).

I agree though -- until we're at least a Playoff team, no superstar will look at us. 

• Jackson likes this

#31 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,536 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted April 30, 2017 - 08:58 AM

I'm amazed that we aren't trying to package some of this youth with Moz and Deng already. I wouldn't be shocked if Deng or Moz were shipped out with Randle or Clarkson along with the HOU pick to some team. In fact, I don't see Magic or Pelinka tethering themselves to ANY of these young guys moving forward because it's quite possible they want to clean house of all that Mitch and Jim did and they may want to re-shape this team QUICKLY...which takes "developing" our youth off the table.

I don't think anyone is untouchable if we lose the pick...especially since getting rid of Moz and Deng present a much bigger challenge than luring top talent would be without the dysfunction going on in the Front Office (IMHO, of course). Pelinka was a Super-Agent and most of these guys (current NBA Stars) idolized Magic and Kobe growing up so IMHO, clean house and try to lure a new face of the Franchise and build up from that.

Does anyone really think we don't trade one or more of our young guys this summer? I do. Russell, Ingram, Randle, Clarkson...at least one of them is gone this summer...best bets are Randle and Clarkson...if they lose the pick, DEFINITELY.

That's what you want. It's zero indication that imply that it's happening
  • Rekal likes this

#32 BleedPurple&Gold

BleedPurple&Gold

Superstar

• 7,230 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic

Posted April 30, 2017 - 10:34 AM

My god...!

Edited by BleedPurple&Gold, April 30, 2017 - 10:34 AM.

#33 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,544 posts

Posted April 30, 2017 - 11:46 AM

I'm amazed that we aren't trying to package some of this youth with Moz and Deng already.  I wouldn't be shocked if Deng or Moz were shipped out with Randle or Clarkson along with the HOU pick to some team.  In fact, I don't see Magic or Pelinka tethering themselves to ANY of these young guys moving forward because it's quite possible they want to clean house of all that Mitch and Jim did and they may want to re-shape this team QUICKLY...which takes "developing" our youth off the table.

I don't think anyone is untouchable if we lose the pick...especially since getting rid of Moz and Deng present a much bigger challenge than luring top talent would be without the dysfunction going on in the Front Office (IMHO, of course).  Pelinka was a Super-Agent and most of these guys (current NBA Stars) idolized Magic and Kobe growing up so IMHO, clean house and try to lure a new face of the Franchise and build up from that.

Does anyone really think we don't trade one or more of our young guys this summer?  I do.  Russell, Ingram, Randle, Clarkson...at least one of them is gone this summer...best bets are Randle and Clarkson...if they lose the pick, DEFINITELY.

So many moving parts in this, but if we lose the pick i think there is a chance that we only do minor moves. Maybe flip Clarkson for something, then maybe using either Randle or 28th to shed either Deng or Mozzy.

• Jackson likes this

#34 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 10,153 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted April 30, 2017 - 12:11 PM

So many moving parts in this, but if we lose the pick i think there is a chance that we only do minor moves. Maybe flip Clarkson for something, then maybe using either Randle or 28th to shed either Deng or Mozzy.

Agreed. We keep expecting Randle and Clarkson to be moved for superior moves yet no takers.

#35 RobBlake

RobBlake

Starter

• 4,431 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted April 30, 2017 - 02:14 PM

I do not mind trading rus, clark, randle for a proven talent

ap1.png

#36 LACAS

LACAS

Off The Bench

• 2,212 posts

Posted April 30, 2017 - 02:46 PM

I do not mind trading rus, clark, randle for a proven talent

The only way I consider moving Russ is having landed the 1st... 

#37 lakersince75

lakersince75

Sixth Man

• 3,123 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted April 30, 2017 - 06:38 PM

There is always the very good free agent pool. 

#38 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 15,048 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982

Posted April 30, 2017 - 10:38 PM

I agree nobody is untouchable, but if the Laker management can deal anyone besides Ingram and attach an albatross deal (Mozgov or Deng) then you pull the trigger on that deal, providing the player(s) coming back is a move forward.

#39 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 8,157 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted May 01, 2017 - 09:31 AM

I agree nobody is untouchable, but if the Laker management can deal anyone besides Ingram and attach an albatross deal (Mozgov or Deng) then you pull the trigger on that deal, providing the player(s) coming back is a move forward.

You are describing an unrealistic situation!

If you trade Russell and Moz then the player you get back will not be a move forward! There is no move forward to be made by trading Moz or Deng's contract. The only way to get rid of them is a salary dump. Trade Moz/Deng and attach our 1st round pick or a couple of our young guys and probably get a late pick and a role player with an expiring contract in return. That's about it!

You want them gone than you have to part with assets while getting nothing in return...or wait until their contracts are up

#40 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 10,847 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989

Posted May 01, 2017 - 11:09 AM

you never know. don't knock out an idea. there are some gm's that do the craziest things. (see mitch with deng and mozgov) lol

• LACAS likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users