73 replies to this topic

#61 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,223 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 15, 2017 - 02:12 PM

The casual observers and a lot of Laker fans give a lot of credit to Jerry for this.  The new regime wants to start a new.  A new perspective.  If I take over Microsoft tomorrow I don't want to consult with Bill Gates.  I want to carry out MY vision.  Sometimes there is no room for another voice.  Magic and Rob have a vision and their staff and Jerry West simply doesn't fit.  He's almost 80 as well.  If he's not doing day to day things most of it is just a beauty contest. 

Bob Myers is building/has built himself a fine legacy I'd counter

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#62 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,316 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted June 15, 2017 - 03:02 PM

Watch Jerry bring Lebron to the Clippers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seems to be the buzz surrounding it actually.. and Wade just shared the banana boat picture.  The bananaboat being Cp3, Wade, LeBron and Carmelo.  

So... if West is able to keep CP3 on the Clippers, Wade has a termination option this off-season and is a free agent next off-season, Lebron is a free agent next off-season as well, and Carmelo has an early termination option, all in the same off-season. 

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#63 Artest37

Artest37

Rookie

• 761 posts
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Lonzo Ball BBB!

Posted June 15, 2017 - 03:07 PM

I'm for getting him back into the Lakers fold just for what's he's meant and given to the franchise in a token role.
But I think he's not the type of person that would take a token position though, if he came his voice and opinion would have to be heard, and the Lakers front office already seems to have too many spoons in the pot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Twitter : @_PurpleReign_

Posted Image

#64 RobBlake

RobBlake

Starter

• 4,441 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted June 15, 2017 - 04:29 PM

I would hire west just for no other team to have his bball knowledge

ap1.png

#65 Ventiquattro

Ventiquattro

All-Star

• 6,566 posts

Posted June 15, 2017 - 04:32 PM

Ryan might join his dad ..

• BasketballIQ likes this

#66 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,385 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted June 15, 2017 - 05:38 PM

The casual observers and a lot of Laker fans give a lot of credit to Jerry for this.  The new regime wants to start a new.  A new perspective.  If I take over Microsoft tomorrow I don't want to consult with Bill Gates.  I want to carry out MY vision.  Sometimes there is no room for another voice.  Magic and Rob have a vision and their staff and Jerry West simply doesn't fit.  He's almost 80 as well.  If he's not doing day to day things most of it is just a beauty contest. 

I woulda gone with Steve Ballmer in this example.

But i get that to some degree.

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#67 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,385 posts

Posted June 15, 2017 - 05:40 PM

Seems to be the buzz surrounding it actually.. and Wade just shared the banana boat picture.  The bananaboat being Cp3, Wade, LeBron and Carmelo.  

So... if West is able to keep CP3 on the Clippers, Wade has a termination option this off-season and is a free agent next off-season, Lebron is a free agent next off-season as well, and Carmelo has an early termination option, all in the same off-season. 

This would remind me of that houston team w barkley pippen hakeem etc...maybe too old at that point on legs that cant do what they once did (except Lebron)

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#68 UKUGA

UKUGA

Superstar

• 7,564 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted June 16, 2017 - 06:25 AM

As much as I love Jerry West, for some reason, this just doesn't bother me all that much. 

We are moving forward as an organization, and he made the decision to leave a long time ago.  Even though he and PJ didn't get a long, he didn't have to leave. 

Admittedly, it would bother me more if he were 60, rather than 80. 

• MaceWindu and martin90 like this

Don't feed the trolls. 

#69 Tensai

Tensai

Superstar

• 8,255 posts

Posted June 16, 2017 - 06:35 AM

2011 - Phil Jackson retired.

2013 - Jerry Buss died.

2016 - Kobe retired.

2017 - Jim Buss was ousted.

Maybe it is time to move on from past. Showtime, West, Phil, Kobe were good once. And nothing is forever.

We gave Magic a chance to save us from the hole we dug over the years. He has as good of a chance as anyone else has to make it.

Edited by Tensai, June 16, 2017 - 06:36 AM.

fXlFKv8.gif

#70 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,385 posts

Posted June 16, 2017 - 08:03 AM

Sure.

As long as we dont look back on his coaching stint.

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#71 martin90

martin90

Off The Bench

• 1,902 posts
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted June 16, 2017 - 09:10 AM

As much as I love Jerry West, for some reason, this just doesn't bother me all that much. 

We are moving forward as an organization, and he made the decision to leave a long time ago.  Even though he and PJ didn't get a long, he didn't have to leave. 

Admittedly, it would bother me more if he were 60, rather than 80. 

this

#72 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 3,418 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted June 16, 2017 - 10:10 AM

My take on this is that we weren't going to be able to keep Ryan West forever without promoting him.  If Magic decided to make Ryan West GM and bring in Jerry as a consultant I would have been cool with that.  He decided to hire Rob Pelinka instead which I'm also cool with.  Assuming this ship gets turned around in the next few years it's reasonable to assume that Rob will be here for a long time.  I'll ask again isn't it naive to think that Ryan is going to just wait around for Rob to either be fired or move on?  He already turned down the King's GM job, which is understandable, but sooner or later a good gig is going to open up and he is going to take it regardless of what happened with his father.  Just my two cents.      

• UKUGA likes this

#73 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Do you wanna tickle my big ol' long toes?

• 11,549 posts

Posted June 16, 2017 - 07:55 PM

What's so special about Ryan West?

I like to dip my feet in toilet water & smell them.

#74 MaceWindu

MaceWindu

Starter

• 4,808 posts
  • Name:Ben
  • Fan Since:Hector was a pup
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted June 16, 2017 - 07:56 PM

What's so special about Ryan West?

He's the 2nd coming...

I think Doc should be worried

Edited by MaceWindu, June 16, 2017 - 08:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users