73 replies to this topic

#41 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,138 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 03, 2017 - 09:11 PM

Jerry West just turned 79 years old.  He's done a lot for the game but the Lakers want to build a new regime.  I dont think some of yall understand having too many opinions in the room is NOT always a good thing.  Also all the good the Warriors have experienced isn't simply b/c of Jerry West himself.  If it was he'd be the GM.  I was skeptical of the new regime but so far they've said all the right things.  Let them do work.  Sometimes its ok for others to want to build their own and not be stuck in the past.  Jerry's day is over and I'm sure Rob Pelinka and Magic dont want their success attributed to Jerry West.  

• MaceWindu likes this

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#42 LACAS

LACAS

Off The Bench

• 2,208 posts
  • Name:CAS
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted June 04, 2017 - 06:19 AM

Just bring the Logo back home even if his opinion isn't considered or his expertise isn't used... at 79 years of age nothing would make him happier than returning to his beloved Lakers, I just don't see why not other than egos... bring back Jerry and let him leave the game a Laker #dotherightthing

Edited by LACAS, June 04, 2017 - 06:20 AM.

#43 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,025 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted June 04, 2017 - 06:24 AM

I think Jody nailed it above (except his day is over line) and i still say nothing wrong with having his be a voice in the room.

Edited by kball, June 04, 2017 - 06:24 AM.

• LACAS likes this

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#44 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,138 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted June 04, 2017 - 10:45 AM

Then he can call them and give a silent opinion.  Narrative matters a lot to a legacy.  If I'm trying to build my own legacy I don't want my story told with a Jerry West helped me angle.  They also have all the tools they need.  If they don't succeed it won't be because they didn't hire West.  

I think Jody nailed it above (except his day is over line) and i still say nothing wrong with having his be a voice in the room.

Edited by Jody Smokes, June 04, 2017 - 10:46 AM.

• LACAS likes this

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#45 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,025 posts

Posted June 04, 2017 - 01:57 PM

Then he can call them and give a silent opinion.  Narrative matters a lot to a legacy.  If I'm trying to build my own legacy I don't want my story told with a Jerry West helped me angle.  They also have all the tools they need.  If they don't succeed it won't be because they didn't hire West.  

Bob Myers is building/has built himself a fine legacy I'd counter

Edited by kball, June 04, 2017 - 01:57 PM.

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#46 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted June 04, 2017 - 02:03 PM

How does letting a legend finish up an amazing career as an advisor and mentor to the next generation trying to build the next big thing do anything but good for them?

I love how the narrative changed from magic is going to surround himself with the best experts to too many cooks spoil the stew, and magic needs a chance to prove himself.

Paralysis by analysis happens when you have too many opinions and indecision and no mechanism to make choices. But good leaders don't prevent it by limiting expert opinions. They welcome input and it is their ability to weigh it and utilize it that makes them such, not the decision to keep their circle of input tiny so it doesn't present too many choices and vex poor Mr pelinka.

Man! Those quotes(from Jerry) feel like a punch in the stomach. I just don't...I can't..aghhh!! icon_mad.gif 

Golden goose fell on their lap and they toss it out the window icon_trout.gif

Be careful what you wish for...

via Omar Little 

Jerry is almost 80. He sounds senile in some interviews. We don't need him.

Its like saying to John Wooden, you are too old, you are useless now. 

Maybe Jerry West isn't your final decision maker, but he knows things about basketball a lot of people don't have especially at the ripe age of 80. 
BTW, Tommy Lasorda still works for the Dodgers at the age of 89, maybe his role is ceremonial, but management is smart enough to keep him around because of his connections to when the Dodgers were winning championships.

Edited by Majesty, June 04, 2017 - 02:06 PM.

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#47 MaceWindu

MaceWindu

Starter

• 4,548 posts
  • Fan Since:Hector was a pup
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted June 04, 2017 - 03:47 PM

Jerry or no Jerry, I'm fine with it. Not trying to dismiss Jerry's accomplishments but I have confindence in our FO and excited to see what they can do. Not sure what sort of advise the FO feels they need or what Jerry thinks he can bring to the table but I feel the the FO wants to turn the page and move on. Again, no disrespect to the Logo but I feel Jerry didn't need to make it seem he was jilted. He claims he doesn't want to end his career as part of the Lakers so why is it such a big deal now. Not sure if it was solely Jeanie that said 'No'. Lol.

I wish him luck in his future endeavors.

Edited by MaceWindu, June 04, 2017 - 03:55 PM.

#48 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts

Posted June 05, 2017 - 03:14 AM

Jerry or no Jerry, I'm fine with it. Not trying to dismiss Jerry's accomplishments but I have confindence in our FO and excited to see what they can do. Not sure what sort of advise the FO feels they need or what Jerry thinks he can bring to the table but I feel the the FO wants to turn the page and move on. Again, no disrespect to the Logo but I feel Jerry didn't need to make it seem he was jilted. He claims he doesn't want to end his career as part of the Lakers so why is it such a big deal now. Not sure if it was solely Jeanie that said 'No'. Lol.

I wish him luck in his future endeavors.

he actually said he did want to end his career with the Lakers, but was denied it. 

DBP7hhZVYAA6urM.jpg

more heartbreaking when you see HIM say it. 

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#49 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,025 posts

Posted June 05, 2017 - 04:34 AM

I love the guy. Will go down as one of 3 or 4 absolute legends of that golden LA generation (Wooden, Vin, Chick, West).

Nothing wrong with the way he's winding down and maybe going out now with a hand in Warriors amazing roster and culture.

Honestly, if i was Jerry i get being nostalgic for Lakers but why not go out on top at 80?

Let Warriors be his last stop if he's not hurting for money, and if he wants to bank a little more, commercials (already seen him in a diabetes one i think) and some appearances on NBA tv or even build a show around him

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#50 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 8,484 posts

Posted June 06, 2017 - 02:20 AM

Jerry is a legend. Would I have brought him back? Absolutely. Do I understand Magic/Rob wanting to build their own team their way and not wanting any additional input? Absolutely.

The thing about Jerry is no matter his role, his presence is known league-wide. It's easy to see Magic not wanting Jerry to steal his shine...he wants to do this alone.

Personally, I think they could've made it work, but I don't work in an NBA front office. I think getting Jerry for the simple fact of keeping him away from other teams would've been great...he's one of the best evaluators of young talent this league has seen. His insight is still very valuable. Keep in mind the Warriors don't have this team without his input on various situations (i.e. threatning to quit if Lacob/Myers accepted the Love for Klay deal, comforting KD). We're certainly in a position to receive that kind of input in terms of when it's time to move on from young talent and cash in for what you can get. But that doesn't necessarily mean his take is the best, or the only right decision.

Right now, I'm more worried about what Magic and Rob do as opposed to wishing we had West on board. That ship has sailed. Down the line if he steps away from the game and we still have his son on board, who knows, maybe his input will somehow find it's way into the decisions management ultimately makes.

Edited by Massacre, June 06, 2017 - 02:25 AM.

• manaro90 likes this

#51 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts

Posted June 14, 2017 - 09:32 PM

Jerry is a legend. Would I have brought him back? Absolutely. Do I understand Magic/Rob wanting to build their own team their way and not wanting any additional input? Absolutely.

The thing about Jerry is no matter his role, his presence is known league-wide. It's easy to see Magic not wanting Jerry to steal his shine...he wants to do this alone.

Except didn't Magic hate on Jim for not surrounding himself with basketball minds like Jerry West?  And didn't he say that what made Dr. Jerry Buss so great was that he surrounded himself by intelligent basketball minds and was able to take their advice, and their knowledge to listen to?  Didn't he say that Jim didn't do that and cited Jerry West as one of those brilliant basketball minds?   Yeah... he criticized Jim for not surrounding himself with basketball minds and wanting to do it on his own.. so why should he or Robn or Jeanie get a pass for denying Jerry West and wanting to do it on "their own"?  

If the mentality is "I don't want to bring one of the most brilliant minds in basketball to give us advice or as a consoltant because he's so smart and his reputation is so great because of what he's proven that he could steal our shine..." then we're in a lot of trouble.  

• FranklinPeanuts likes this

#52 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts

Posted June 14, 2017 - 09:37 PM

Also.. now because the Lakers wouldn't, The Clippers have.. 

West told ESPN that he has not yet signed a contract with the Clippers, but knew Monday night that it would be his final game with the Warriors. He called leaving the Warriors, who won their second title in two years, "one of the saddest nights of my life" because of the respect he has for the organization and the players he's worked with. 

"I knew I was going to be leaving, I didn't know what I was going to be leaving to," West told ESPN. "Was this the end of me being productive? Every person is different in terms of their lives and how people age. I don't feel old, I feel really competitive. 

"Sometimes you need to be challenged. I've kind of been defiant my whole life, the way I was raised and I think this is like the defiant streak in me, I don't know." 

Sports Illustrated first reported that West was leaving the Warriors to join the Clippers.

http://www.espn.com/...ngeles-clippers

Also 

According to the article: 

"West never had the final say on anything in Golden State and never wanted it. " 

So he'd essentially had the same kind of role here, as that kind of consoltant just offering knowledge for us to use or not use...   
There is NO "lose" in that scenario.. it's a win/win in all aspects and Jerry really wanted to end his career here helping right the ship even as a consoltant.   

If Jim had denied him this AND he wound up going to the Clippers who took advantage of us NOT doing it, this forum would be blowing up about the incpmpetence of our FO.   

Worst part is we're probably gonna lose Ryan to them as well once his contract is up.   

Bad look, any way you slice it.   Right there on a silver platter could have brought Jerry back in a consoltant role where he didn't have the last say, nor wanted, and could just offer us advice or ideas that we could take or not take... that was a win/win situation in ALL forms... but now we've lost the chance and the FREAKING CLIPPERS went and got him cause we wouldn't.   No words. Too late for them now. 

#53 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 10,839 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989

Posted June 15, 2017 - 04:47 AM

It's and ego thing imo.

#54 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,025 posts

Posted June 15, 2017 - 05:03 AM

Another rumor Ryan to join him there

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#55 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 3,370 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted June 15, 2017 - 05:27 AM

I'd hate to see Ryan West go but he was being groomed to be Mitch's replacement and clearly we went in a different direction.  He's already turned down a GM job before.  Isn't it naive to think he's going to wait around here long enough for Pelinka to either be fired or move on?  

#56 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,025 posts

Posted June 15, 2017 - 06:48 AM

I'd hate to see Ryan West go but he was being groomed to be Mitch's replacement and clearly we went in a different direction.  He's already turned down a GM job before.  Isn't it naive to think he's going to wait around here long enough for Pelinka to either be fired or move on?  

Haha.

This is a Laker forum. We SPECIALIZE in naive. 

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#57 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 10,839 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989

Posted June 15, 2017 - 07:08 AM

Another rumor Ryan to join him there

read that too. more like would probably be willing to join him. if, so, i think that is a loss for the lakers. just my opinion though

#58 bigvee

bigvee

Legend

• 12,557 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted June 15, 2017 - 07:55 AM

I would've brought him back just to keep Ryan aboard.

Something tells me this is more about Magic wanting to prove himself and not let Jerry come in and take credit if this whole thing does work out.
  • FranklinPeanuts likes this

#59 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 26,897 posts
  • Name:Byron "Buster AKA Busty" Bluth

Posted June 15, 2017 - 08:36 AM

Watch Jerry bring Lebron to the Clippers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Buster_bcfa40_2218659_zpsbf0d8a7a.gif

#60 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts