Lakers Name Rob Pelinka General Manager

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#121 Ventiquattro

Ventiquattro

All-Star

• 6,559 posts

Posted April 12, 2017 - 08:22 AM

Nance isn't gonna move the needle in terms of trade value. Might as well keep him. Honestly, he's a nice piece to have.
  • LACAS likes this

#122 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,549 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 12, 2017 - 09:51 AM

Nance isn't gonna move the needle in terms of trade value. Might as well keep him. Honestly, he's a nice piece to have.

Yeah he's already 24. Not as much upside. But at least he tries to play defense. Can't say the same about most of our roster. 

#123 Ventiquattro

Ventiquattro

All-Star

• 6,559 posts

Posted April 12, 2017 - 11:23 AM

Yeah he's already 24. Not as much upside. But at least he tries to play defense. Can't say the same about most of our roster. 

Nance is not a good defender. Its the illusion of deflections(which is a part of defense) that make people feel he's solid on that end.

Trying or not dont matter. You either play defense or you dont. Not daying that he's bad but naturally a player would progress with more time and experience. I think he's gonna be a solid rotation player for this team moving forward.

#124 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,532 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted April 12, 2017 - 02:39 PM

Nance is a pretty good defender.

Wtf are you basing your claim on? His teammates?

Edited by BasketballIQ, April 12, 2017 - 02:39 PM.

#125 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 2,714 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted April 12, 2017 - 05:15 PM

Nance has been at least as good as the others, defensively. he could add a little midrange to give himself more depth. I really like the upside for Zu! with Nance I don't see trading him he's been solid for the salary he gets.

#126 lakersince75

lakersince75

Sixth Man

• 3,123 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted April 13, 2017 - 08:07 PM

F IT!!! Why don't we just sign Steph after they come up short in the Western Conference Finals to SA   :D   There are a boatload of very good unrestricted free agents this off season. I hope we can land a couple of them without breaking the bank or being stupid enough to give them 400 year contracts

#127 LACAS

LACAS

Off The Bench

• 2,212 posts
  • Name:CAS
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted April 14, 2017 - 08:53 AM

Lets see how much magic Earvin and Pelinka have... here's to a lucky and solid offseason!

Go Lakers! 

• manaro90 likes this

#128 UKUGA

UKUGA

Superstar

• 7,451 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted April 20, 2017 - 07:12 AM

So, it has not escaped my attention how much Pelinka's plan has similar elements to the old regime's plan.  At least twice now, he's presented this idea that LA represents a unique opportunity that is attractive to players and player agents. 

I'm not criticizing this.  I think it's legitimate.  I also don't think it's the only aspect of his plan.  And that's where the difference lies.  Jim, Mitch, and even Jeannie, I think had fallen in love with the idea (and it became their only idea) that players would flock to LA because it's, well, LA.  That proved to not be enough.

Doesn't mean it can't be a positive factor, though. 

quote:

"Lakers general manager Rob Pelinka on trying to lure star free agents to the Lakers: "I anticipate that there are many stars that understand how unique this Los Angeles Lakers platform is, and I am fully convinced that we'll have one or more than one come. To put a timetable on it, I can't do that. But I do think that as we engage in conversations with voices of influence, it seems like the current of the river has shifted. Whereas in past years it was, ‘Gosh, I don't know if we're going to get meetings with certain players.' You can just feel like a current shifting now towards us of excitement of, ‘Gosh, I think that's going to be a huge destination.' Whether it's people in the media saying they want to be drafted here now. Or whether it's rumblings you hear about players that want to come to LA. You can feel the current shifting our way again."

And this:

"Pelinka said team will soon begin "enrichment programs" for their players. He explained, "Clearly part of our strategy is to take this amazing, unique, megawatt platform of Los Angeles and all that it is and -- I've had so many people, like the titans of industry are reaching out. One of the things we're going to do next season is we're going to have enrichment programs. Leaders in their industry -- in the movie industry, artists -- are going to come and talk to our players about excellence and their road to excellence and their craft. It's amazing just the calls Magic [Johnson] and I are getting from the true titans of business that are going to come and help our players become better human beings. You can just feel the energy of the city. There's a new vision. We're all in this together: our stakeholders, the fans, the people who sit courtside. We're all going to get there."

I don't think it's a leap to say that the culture of the franchise had shifted to enough of a negative that it outweighed the attractiveness of the market. 

Now, with the changes in management, it will hopefully shift back. 

Edited by UKUGA, April 20, 2017 - 07:14 AM.

• Busty Bluth likes this

Don't feed the trolls. 

#129 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,549 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 20, 2017 - 10:06 AM

So, it has not escaped my attention how much Pelinka's plan has similar elements to the old regime's plan.  At least twice now, he's presented this idea that LA represents a unique opportunity that is attractive to players and player agents. 

I'm not criticizing this.  I think it's legitimate.  I also don't think it's the only aspect of his plan.  And that's where the difference lies.  Jim, Mitch, and even Jeannie, I think had fallen in love with the idea (and it became their only idea) that players would flock to LA because it's, well, LA.  That proved to not be enough.

Doesn't mean it can't be a positive factor, though. 

quote:

"Lakers general manager Rob Pelinka on trying to lure star free agents to the Lakers: "I anticipate that there are many stars that understand how unique this Los Angeles Lakers platform is, and I am fully convinced that we'll have one or more than one come. To put a timetable on it, I can't do that. But I do think that as we engage in conversations with voices of influence, it seems like the current of the river has shifted. Whereas in past years it was, ‘Gosh, I don't know if we're going to get meetings with certain players.' You can just feel like a current shifting now towards us of excitement of, ‘Gosh, I think that's going to be a huge destination.' Whether it's people in the media saying they want to be drafted here now. Or whether it's rumblings you hear about players that want to come to LA. You can feel the current shifting our way again."

And this:

"Pelinka said team will soon begin "enrichment programs" for their players. He explained, "Clearly part of our strategy is to take this amazing, unique, megawatt platform of Los Angeles and all that it is and -- I've had so many people, like the titans of industry are reaching out. One of the things we're going to do next season is we're going to have enrichment programs. Leaders in their industry -- in the movie industry, artists -- are going to come and talk to our players about excellence and their road to excellence and their craft. It's amazing just the calls Magic [Johnson] and I are getting from the true titans of business that are going to come and help our players become better human beings. You can just feel the energy of the city. There's a new vision. We're all in this together: our stakeholders, the fans, the people who sit courtside. We're all going to get there."

I don't think it's a leap to say that the culture of the franchise had shifted to enough of a negative that it outweighed the attractiveness of the market. 

Now, with the changes in management, it will hopefully shift back. 

This makes me a bit nervous. But Pelinka is super well connected as many people have attested to. If we continue to rebuild and a few of these guys reach the all-star level, then the glamour of LA combined with Pelinka's connections will help us a lot. But until our team reaches a certain point, all of that is meaningless. I hope they work more on the roster for the next season, or two, or even three, and then start to worry about making a huge splash in FA.

#130 Ventiquattro

Ventiquattro

All-Star

• 6,559 posts

Posted April 20, 2017 - 10:08 AM

Nance is a pretty good defender.

Wtf are you basing your claim on? His teammates?

No he's not. Poor at defending in the post and PnR. Its very obvious if you paid attention.

#131 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,532 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted April 20, 2017 - 10:40 AM

Okay

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)