130 replies to this topic

#1 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 26,140 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted March 07, 2017 - 03:09 PM

ts_pelinka_0.jpg

EL SEGUNDO – The Los Angeles Lakers have named Rob Pelinka as General Manager, it was announced today.

Pelinka, 47, joins the Lakers after spending the greater part of two decades representing many of the NBA’s top talent. During his tenure as an agent, Pelinka was named by Forbes Magazine as one of the Top 10 Sports Agents in the World. In his role, Pelinka will report to Lakers Governor Jeanie Buss and President of Basketball Operations, Earvin “Magic” Johnson.

“We have worked closely with Rob for many years and have first-hand experience with his knowledge of the league and the business of basketball,” said Buss. “In our recent discussions, it was clear that he also shares our goal of returning the Lakers to being an elite NBA franchise. Together with Earvin and Coach Walton, I believe we are in a great position to bring winning basketball back to the Lakers.”

“Rob’s knowledge of the NBA landscape and the CBA, as well as his relationships with GMs around the league, are invaluable,” said Johnson. “After running a successful sports agency and as someone who truly understands the inner workings of salary caps and player negotiations, he will bring the additional skills and experience needed in the Lakers executive office. Rob is a winner and the Lakers are fortunate to have him.”

The Lake Forest, Illinois native earned his B.B.A. from the Ross School of Business at the University of Michigan with high honors in 1993, before receiving his J.D., [expletive] Laude, from the University of Michigan Law School in 1996. While at Michigan, Pelinka earned a 1989 National Championship as a member of the Wolverines basketball team and also took part in three NCAA Final Fours (1989, 1992 & 1993).

“I am beyond grateful to join the Lakers front office,” said Pelinka. “The Lakers are a gold standard for sports franchises in the world, so we all share a responsibility to pursue excellence in everything we do. Excellence is what the Lakers stands for, what Jeanie Buss and Earvin Johnson embody, and what Coach Walton demands from our players. That obsession for greatness is what will bring Lakers basketball back to a championship level. With Jeanie and Magic guiding the vision, I am thrilled to help architect the future. I am really excited to get to work.”

http://www.nba.com/l...-manager?cid=tw

• DeeZee and JGuez like this

#2 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 26,140 posts

Posted March 07, 2017 - 03:11 PM

Lakers will introduce Rob Pelinka as their new General Manager in a news conference on Friday at 1 p.m.

#3 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 10,943 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted March 07, 2017 - 03:13 PM

Well now.

#4 bigvee

bigvee

Legend

• 12,591 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted March 07, 2017 - 03:20 PM

• Game likes this

#5 JGuez

JGuez

All-Star

• 6,007 posts

Posted March 07, 2017 - 03:24 PM

Start wheelin' and dealin'.

#6 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 3,418 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 07, 2017 - 03:25 PM

Didn't know he played with the Fab 5 at Michigan.  Go figure.  

#7 JGuez

JGuez

All-Star

• 6,007 posts

Posted March 07, 2017 - 03:25 PM

This can be a very interesting move. So does Ryan kind of dictate the type of team we should have, and Pelinka will do his best to make it happen via negotiation/trade?

#8 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 10,943 posts

Posted March 07, 2017 - 03:34 PM

This can be a very interesting move. So does Ryan kind of dictate the type of team we should have, and Pelinka will do his best to make it happen via negotiation/trade?

Ramona did say that Joey is close to Rob. So maybe Ryan input is important too

#9 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 26,140 posts

Posted March 07, 2017 - 03:44 PM

No one knows the business of basketball more than @robpelinka. I wish him & the Lakers much success as they bring winning bball back to LA.

• manaro90 likes this

#10 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,381 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted March 07, 2017 - 05:39 PM

ts_pelinka_0.jpg

http://www.nba.com/l...-manager?cid=tw

EL SEGUNDO – The Los Angeles Lakers have named Rob Pelinka as General Manager, it was announced today.

Pelinka, 47, joins the Lakers after spending the greater part of two decades representing many of the NBA’s top talent. During his tenure as an agent, Pelinka was named by Forbes Magazine as one of the Top 10 Sports Agents in the World. In his role, Pelinka will report to Lakers Governor Jeanie Buss and President of Basketball Operations, Earvin “Magic” Johnson.

“We have worked closely with Rob for many years and have first-hand experience with his knowledge of the league and the business of basketball,” said Buss. “In our recent discussions, it was clear that he also shares our goal of returning the Lakers to being an elite NBA franchise. Together with Earvin and Coach Walton, I believe we are in a great position to bring winning basketball back to the Lakers.”

“Rob’s knowledge of the NBA landscape and the CBA, as well as his relationships with GMs around the league, are invaluable,” said Johnson. “After running a successful sports agency and as someone who truly understands the inner workings of salary caps and player negotiations, he will bring the additional skills and experience needed in the Lakers executive office. Rob is a winner and the Lakers are fortunate to have him.”

The Lake Forest, Illinois native earned his B.B.A. from the Ross School of Business at the University of Michigan with high honors in 1993, before receiving his J.D., [expletive] Laude, from the University of Michigan Law School in 1996. While at Michigan, Pelinka earned a 1989 National Championship as a member of the Wolverines basketball team and also took part in three NCAA Final Fours (1989, 1992 & 1993).

“I am beyond grateful to join the Lakers front office,” said Pelinka. “The Lakers are a gold standard for sports franchises in the world, so we all share a responsibility to pursue excellence in everything we do. Excellence is what the Lakers stands for, what Jeanie Buss and Earvin Johnson embody, and what Coach Walton demands from our players. That obsession for greatness is what will bring Lakers basketball back to a championship level. With Jeanie and Magic guiding the vision, I am thrilled to help architect the future. I am really excited to get to work.”

Anyone else crack up at this?

Lucky we have the swear filter

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#11 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Do you wanna tickle my big ol' long toes?

• 11,549 posts

Posted March 07, 2017 - 05:44 PM

Anyone else crack up at this?

Lucky we have the swear filter

Protecting the minds of our children is no laughing matter.

I like to dip my feet in toilet water & smell them.

#12 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 15,063 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982

Posted March 07, 2017 - 08:07 PM

I wish Rob well, but cleaning this Jim/Mitch mess up ain't gonna be easy at all.

• FranklinPeanuts, DeeZee and MysticBlu~ like this

#13 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 10,943 posts

Posted March 07, 2017 - 09:49 PM

I wish Rob well, but cleaning this Jim/Mitch mess up ain't gonna be easy at all.

Amen to that brother. 2 ugly contracts that nobody will want. He has to run around that unless he can get it in good with other agents. Fingers crossed

#14 MaceWindu

MaceWindu

Starter

• 4,808 posts
  • Name:Ben
  • Fan Since:Hector was a pup
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted March 08, 2017 - 08:55 AM

Amen to that brother. 2 ugly contracts that nobody will want. He has to run around that unless he can get it in good with other agents. Fingers crossed

His first project is to get rid of those contracts. Not an easy task.

#15 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 10,943 posts

Posted March 08, 2017 - 09:21 AM

His first project is to get rid of those contracts. Not an easy task.

that is asking the man to build a new Rome. LOL

• DeeZee and LACAS like this

#16 lakersince75

lakersince75

Sixth Man

• 3,140 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted March 09, 2017 - 06:29 AM

He may have to call in a few favors. I think he can I think he can

• LACAS likes this

#17 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,598 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted March 09, 2017 - 11:15 AM

Deng and Mosgov could be Mideton and Drummond.

This team would still suck.

#18 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 10,943 posts

Posted March 09, 2017 - 11:45 AM

This team would still suck.

ouch. and yet, i somewhat agree. lol

#19 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Do you wanna tickle my big ol' long toes?

• 11,549 posts

Posted March 09, 2017 - 11:51 AM

Has ties with Wesley Johnson; hopefully he can swing him this way. 

• ace™ likes this

I like to dip my feet in toilet water & smell them.

#20 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

Superstar

• 7,233 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted March 09, 2017 - 02:13 PM

Middleton and Drummond alongside Russell, Ingram, and Randle would be a playoff team buddy...

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users