Photo

What's the new agenda?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Do you wanna tickle my big ol' long toes?

• 11,533 posts

Posted February 21, 2017 - 07:03 PM

The majority of that thread is people talking smack about him.

I like to dip my feet in toilet water & smell them.

#22 JGuez

JGuez

All-Star

• 6,007 posts

Posted February 21, 2017 - 09:46 PM

Did anyone have any idea about the direction of the team before?

Yes, it was the youth movement.

So far all indications are that Magic wants to continue that movement which I'm totally with. The hiring of Magic appears to be more about PR than anything else. 

What makes no sense is you were against Mitch/Jim who at the moment seemingly have the same point of view as Magic, but now that it's Magic you're all about it?

#23 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Do you wanna tickle my big ol' long toes?

• 11,533 posts

Posted February 21, 2017 - 09:48 PM

Magic knows how to properly send the youth movement the proper way.

I like to dip my feet in toilet water & smell them.

#24 Klewfish

Klewfish

Reppin' LA on the East Coast

• 2,196 posts
  • Name:Chris
  • Fan Since:Game 4 of 2000 NBA Finals

Posted February 21, 2017 - 10:07 PM

I'm really interested to see what we do if we trade veterans for draft picks and also further the tank. I understand we are on a youth movement, but we need to keep a mix of youth/veterans on the team and get a sure fire star. I mean can we really go into next season with D'Lo, Clarkson, Randle, Ingram, Nance, Zubac, Black and at least 3 draft picks? That's 10 guys with < 3 years NBA experience. How long do we wait to see if we have any stars/superstars before trading for one? Let's say we keep our top 3 pick and draft a backcourt mate for D'Lo. We have a tentative starting lineup of D'Lo/Rookie/Ingram/Randle/Zubac with Clarkson, Nance and Black needing playing time off the bench. Where do we spend FA money then and where do we have room to bring in a star? 

Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.

#25 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,544 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted February 21, 2017 - 10:25 PM

Did anyone have any idea about the direction of the team before?

That's a good point. I think they were putting their money on the young guys.

Like i said in the first post these next few days are important in terms of figuring out the agenda.

Regarding the Lou Williams for Brewer + 1st rounder (currently late 20s)

If Magic wanted to win as much as possible right now - and not care about the 2017 pick - he would have kept Lou. So keeping the pick has to be a part of Magic's agenda, despite this whole "tanking isn't in the Lakers' vocabulary"-bs.

#26 JayTheGreat

JayTheGreat

Sixth Man

• 3,326 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted February 22, 2017 - 12:17 AM

If we're tanking I hope we can land Josh Jackson. I think him and Ingram can be deadly with zubac.

Edited by JayTheGreat, February 22, 2017 - 12:26 AM.

#27 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,544 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted February 23, 2017 - 08:27 PM

Decent signs from the front office. Clearly we arent making win-now panic moves, so that's good. Also nice that some of the young guys are untouchable.

#28 Artest37

Artest37

Rookie

• 758 posts
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Lonzo Ball BBB!

Posted February 23, 2017 - 08:36 PM

Don't need to be a rocket scientist to see what they're doing:

1. Develop the youth

2. Acquire draft picks / assets

3. Attract free agents and/or use assets (see 1 and 2) to trade for a star

• DanishLakerFan and Rekal like this

Twitter : @_PurpleReign_

Posted Image

#29 Tensai

Tensai

Superstar

• 8,195 posts

Posted February 24, 2017 - 04:23 AM

Assets until 2020:

Draft picks:

If the Lakers retain the pick this year:

2017 - 1st round pick (Top 3), 1st round pick (from Rockets)
2018 - 2nd round pick (from Nuggets)
2019 - 1st round pick, 2nd round pick (from Bulls)
2020 - 1st round pick, 2nd round pick

If the Lakers lose the pick this year:

2017 - 1st round pick (from Rockets), 2nd round pick
2018 - 1st round pick, 2nd round pick (from Nuggets)
2019 - 2nd round pick, 2nd round pick (from Bulls)
2020 - 1st round pick, 2nd round pick

Players:

Julius Randle - under contract until 2018 ($4.1m)
D'Angelo Russell - under contract until 2019 ($12.5m)
Larry Nance Jr. - under contract until 2019 ($3.5m)
Ivica Zubac - under contract until 2019 ($3.5m)
Jordan Clarkson - under contract until 2020 ($37.5m)
Brandon Ingram - under contract until 2020 ($27.1m)

-------------

We have to play chess when other teams play checkers. If we retain the pick, it is 3 potential designated players on the roster as a trade piece. We can only offer two. If we target a star / superstar in free agency, or in a trade by dealing some of those assets, it will most likely require a max or near max contract. That puts us in total for 3 max / near max contracts until 2019 (Ingram's contract and Mozgov / Deng contracts expire in 2020) If the FO has intention to keep Randle, they will need to do it before Randle hits the free agency. We probably cannot offer Randle a near max contract given the previously outlined situation. If Randle is not keen on early extension this summer, then I think he becomes to first domino to fall. The Lakers probably do not have an urgent need to address the void that would be left by Randle because Nance Jr. is under contract for another year. It makes the FO's job easier, and puts pressure on Randle to play good rest of the season. In the likelihood that Randle is traded, a future 1st round pick must be sought because we wouldn't have a 1st in 2018 (goes to Sixers unprotected).

I think Portland's situation gives us a good lesson when we think about these assets and our salary cap situation. By offering multi year contracts to Crabbe, Turner, Harkless, Leonard, they destroyed all of their cap flexibility. The fact that they are not really tradeable players makes it even worse. Once McCollum's contract kicks in next year they are gonna pay record amounts. The result? They overestimated their ability to win last year and they failed to assess their situation and now they are only chasing the eight seed.

Having Pelinka as GM in this situation will really help us.

Edited by Tensai, February 24, 2017 - 04:34 AM.

• lakerfan98 likes this

fXlFKv8.gif

#30 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,056 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted February 24, 2017 - 04:39 AM

We hope

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#31 Miggs

Miggs

16x CHAMPS

• 2,699 posts
  • Name:Miguel
  • Fan Since:1988 Finals
  • Fav. Laker:Showtime,Shaq and Kobe

Posted February 24, 2017 - 04:39 AM

We won't have a chance to win much until Lebron retires and the rest of the super teams are dismantled
"Don't post while drunk, on draft night"

nSLiQqtm.jpg

#32 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 8,157 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted February 24, 2017 - 06:11 AM

Put together the most nonsensical roster possible and tank for #1 picks until we find one that is good enough to shine despite the obvious flaws in our roster. Make absolutely no attempt to correct the roster problems and instead collect 2nd round picks.

This seems like the route we are going. This is also dumb as all hell!

This trade deadline should have been used to get Russell and Ingram some damn shooters!

Edited by kidpolean, February 24, 2017 - 06:14 AM.

#33 MaceWindu

MaceWindu

Starter

• 4,588 posts
  • Fan Since:Hector was a pup
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted February 24, 2017 - 07:21 AM

I'm still waiting to find out what Jim and Mitch's plan was.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

we were running out of letters 

#34 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,056 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted February 24, 2017 - 09:08 AM

we were running out of letters 

Nah after exhausting alphabet then...

2A,2B,2C

• MaceWindu likes this

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#35 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 23,294 posts

Posted February 24, 2017 - 09:38 AM

Put together the most nonsensical roster possible and tank for #1 picks until we find one that is good enough to shine despite the obvious flaws in our roster. Make absolutely no attempt to correct the roster problems and instead collect 2nd round picks.

This seems like the route we are going. This is also dumb as all hell!

This trade deadline should have been used to get Russell and Ingram some damn shooters!

I don't think so. I think we use the pick or Russell along with Randle and clarkson to get paul George

And I think Indiana will bite because George will be on his last year and is unhappy

The main thing is we have to get a pick ahead of Boston

I see something like

Zubac
Deng
Ingram
George
Russell or pick

Being our starting 5 next year. And I think by simply putting deng at PF you'll see an increase in production from everyone because deng is a very capable 4 and shoots better from there. George is a better shooter. I see zubac being a better spacer at the 5. I think Ingram will improve as well with more comfort. He's gotten better and better shooting the ball as the seasons gone on

I think we'll see a large jump

Main thing this offseason is getting rid of mosgov. I think the deng signing can be salvaged. I think the emergence of zubac has totally nullified mosgov. Deng should be our starting 4 next year.

The way the west is this season I see that starting 5 as a serious playoff contender for the 6-8 seed.
Posted Image

#36 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,550 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 24, 2017 - 11:26 AM

Right now the move is to tank and get the young guys as much playing time as possible. With Huertas and Williams out of the way, both goals are easier to accomplish now.

Even if we did small moves at the trade deadline, we're still a bad team. The question is, would you rather have a bad team without the pick and get lessing playing time for Russell and Ingram, or the other way around? 

Edited by bfc1125roy, February 24, 2017 - 11:27 AM.

#37 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 8,157 posts

Posted February 24, 2017 - 11:30 AM

Right now the move is to tank and get the young guys as much playing time as possible. With Huertas and Williams out of the way, both goals are easier to accomplish now.

Even if we did small moves at the trade deadline, we're still a bad team. The question is, would you rather have a bad team without the pick and get lessing playing time for Russell and Ingram, or the other way around?

yYou can lose games with a roster that makes sense. Keeping the roster constructed the way it is does nothing for our players development. The pick has nothing to do with that.

#38 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,550 posts

Posted February 24, 2017 - 11:32 AM

yYou can lose games with a roster that makes sense. Keeping the roster constructed the way it is does nothing for our players development. The pick has nothing to do with that.

The pick is the top priority, and Lou Williams was jeopardizing our chances of finishing last in the West. Also Russell and Ingram get playing time which will help their development more than riding the bench like Russell had to do when Williams was hot. 

#39 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 8,157 posts

Posted February 24, 2017 - 11:36 AM

The pick is the top priority, and Lou Williams was jeopardizing our chances of finishing last in the West. Also Russell and Ingram get playing time which will help their development more than riding the bench like Russell had to do when Williams was hot.

We aren't even talking about the same thing! I'm not talking about Lou.

Our priority should be development, not a pick that we aren't even guaranteed to get and that could lead to a bust.

Edited by kidpolean, February 24, 2017 - 11:37 AM.

• JGuez likes this

#40 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,550 posts

Posted February 24, 2017 - 11:50 AM

We aren't even talking about the same thing! I'm not talking about Lou.

Our priority should be development, not a pick that we aren't even guaranteed to get and that could lead to a bust.

IMO, the risk reward of the pick is worth it considering it would be top 3 if we keep it.

Also, what I'm saying is besides the coaching staff, we develop players by playing them. Without Lou and Huertas, we can give the young guys more playing time (= more development), while still tanking. Win WIn. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users