1397 replies to this topic

#1021 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 7,030 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted April 20, 2017 - 11:14 AM

He has to be elected to one of the all NBA teams (1st, 2nd, or 3rd) not just the first team. I've read about 4-5 articles and they all say the same thing. He will qualify this summer.

I'm not so sure that the Pacers even offer that extension. They are going to get swept in the first round most likely. They may look to trade him just like SAC did with Boogie. Signing these second tier stars to ridiculous contracts may cripple a franchise for years to come. I think that we will start seeing this caliber of player traded far more often than we did in the past.

Edited by kidpolean, April 20, 2017 - 11:15 AM.

• lakerfan98 likes this

#1022 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 3,126 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 20, 2017 - 11:26 AM

I'm not so sure that the Pacers even offer that extension. They are going to get swept in the first round most likely. They may look to trade him just like SAC did with Boogie. Signing these second tier stars to ridiculous contracts may cripple a franchise for years to come. I think that we will start seeing this caliber of player traded far more often than we did in the past.

Yea I remember hearing this when there were rumors the Blazers were looking to deal Lillard.  Better to get top value for him now then pay him through his current deal on top of an extension in 2020 that could pay him as much as 50 million per year just as he's entering his 30s.     

#1023 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

• 3,126 posts

Posted April 20, 2017 - 11:30 AM

The logjam at the Forward position is still there though.  He's going to have to beat out Jimmy and Hayward to get in.  KD, Dray, Bron, Giannis are lock for the first 2 teams.  The last 2 spots are AD, Blake, Jimmy, G Hayward and PG13 fighting for 2 spots. 

True, true.  Butler's move to SF this season to accommodate Wade obviously didn't help.  For this season I'd still put PG in over Hayward and Blake but him and Butler are a coin flip.   

#1024 erfolk

erfolk

Sixth Man

• 2,964 posts
  • Name:Lewis
  • Fan Since:Birth:10-31-86
  • Fav. Laker:All Bout The Name On The Front

Posted April 20, 2017 - 11:34 AM

The logjam at the Forward position is still there though. He's going to have to beat out Jimmy and Hayward to get in. KD, Dray, Bron, Giannis are lock for the first 2 teams. The last 2 spots are AD, Blake, Jimmy, G Hayward and PG13 fighting for 2 spots.

Leonard also

#1025 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Superstar

• 8,078 posts

Posted April 20, 2017 - 11:54 AM

He has to be elected to one of the all NBA teams (1st, 2nd, or 3rd) not just the first team.  I've read about 4-5 articles and they all say the same thing.  He will qualify this summer.    

He wont. He's not had a better season than Lebron, Kawhi, KD, Dray, Butler or Giannis.

#1026 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Superstar

• 8,078 posts

Posted April 20, 2017 - 11:57 AM

Of course they offer him that extension, if they can. If not, he could hit free agency in 2018, which they wouldn't be interested in. There is no way he passes on 220M.

#1027 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 7,030 posts

Posted April 20, 2017 - 12:03 PM

Of course they offer him that extension, if they can. If not, he could hit free agency in 2018, which they wouldn't be interested in. There is no way he passes on 220M.

I'm saying they may trade him without ever offering that extension. That is certainly possible especially if they get swept this year and knocked out in the 1st round next season. There is no way they will let him walk though.

Edited by kidpolean, April 20, 2017 - 12:04 PM.

#1028 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

• 3,126 posts

Posted April 20, 2017 - 12:27 PM

Too bad he broke his leg that one summer or this would all be moot.  You're also eligible if you make an all NBA team in 2 of the previous 3 seasons.  He made the 3rd team in 2013, 2014, and 2016 but not 2015 because of injury.  This new CBA seems so arbitrary.  Like Davis missing out on 20+ million a couple years ago because he wasn't an all star starter and he missed the first team because he missed too many games.  Voters have a lot more power over player's money now.  

#1029 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 11,444 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted April 20, 2017 - 01:15 PM

Damn how the hell did I forget him lol

Leonard also

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#1030 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 11,444 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted April 20, 2017 - 01:17 PM

Paul George on a great day can be damn near top 5.  Average he's on the brink of 10 but there are games where he looks like he shouldn't be considered a cornerstone.  Pacers would be fools to not give him the extension though.  Not everyone can build a viable championship.  He's still a big NBA face.  He's not toxic either.  They stay relevant as a franchise b/c of him. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#1031 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,071 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted April 20, 2017 - 01:54 PM

Paul George for Nwaba

#1032 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 10,371 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted April 20, 2017 - 01:56 PM

Paul George for Nwaba

You leave David out of this. Lol

#1033 erfolk

erfolk

Sixth Man

• 2,964 posts
  • Name:Lewis
  • Fan Since:Birth:10-31-86
  • Fav. Laker:All Bout The Name On The Front

Posted April 20, 2017 - 09:13 PM

Paul George on a great day can be damn near top 5. Average he's on the brink of 10 but there are games where he looks like he shouldn't be considered a cornerstone. Pacers would be fools to not give him the extension though. Not everyone can build a viable championship. He's still a big NBA face. He's not toxic either. They stay relevant as a franchise b/c of him.

I agree with everything you just said bruh.

#1034 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 14,765 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982

Posted April 21, 2017 - 01:51 PM

Why chance it?

If a deal comes your way, or you arrange a deal you can make work for George, you take it - plain and simple.

#1035 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 7,030 posts

Posted April 21, 2017 - 02:29 PM

Why chance it?

If a deal comes your way, or you arrange a deal you can make work for George, you take it - plain and simple.

What? So any deal as long as we get PG back? We could easily trade for PG, the argument is about what he is worth.

#1036 Ventiquattro

Ventiquattro

All-Star

• 6,030 posts

Posted April 21, 2017 - 04:25 PM

How would pg and Ingram coexist if the former won't play the 4? Is Ingram at the 2 is the ideal spot for him? I doubt it. He's not quick enough to chase 2s constantly.

Obviously there will be times where PG and Ingram will get minutes at the 4 but the bulk of their minutes together on the court, one of them will have to play the 4. Thoughts?

Edited by Ventiquattro, April 21, 2017 - 04:26 PM.

#1037 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 7,030 posts

Posted April 21, 2017 - 05:29 PM

How would pg and Ingram coexist if the former won't play the 4? Is Ingram at the 2 is the ideal spot for him? I doubt it. He's not quick enough to chase 2s constantly.

Obviously there will be times where PG and Ingram will get minutes at the 4 but the bulk of their minutes together on the court, one of them will have to play the 4. Thoughts?

Bad idea!

#1038 Ventiquattro

Ventiquattro

All-Star

• 6,030 posts

Posted April 21, 2017 - 05:31 PM

Bad idea!

What's bad? Acquiring George or keeping both?

#1039 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 10,371 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989

Posted April 21, 2017 - 05:54 PM

What's bad? Acquiring George or keeping both?

Acquiring him at what cost is the question and playing him and Ingram. I guess the question is if they could co-exist.

#1040 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 7,171 posts

Posted April 21, 2017 - 06:20 PM

I'm not against a trade for improvement, but trading for Paul George does not make sense for several reasons. For one, if this past year has shown us one thing, it is that the youngsters don't quite do well playing together with a "possession dominant" player next to them. It neither fits the narrative we've have been preaching for 3 years, nor it provides a peace of mind for the young players to flourish. We have seen this with Kobe and Lou. The group becomes worse than sum of its parts.

Second, Paul George isn't a generational talent. Meaning, he does not have the qualities to make others and his team better. I could prove this with his statements after first two games of the series against Cavaliers. A leader does not act that way. Paul George is 27 and arguably having his peak years. But the result of his body of work does not show enough promise to believe he could take it further. Interest in Paul George's current status is equivalent to buying a stock when it shows a spike. While it is definitely exciting, it is not always wise to invest.

Third and last, we have a player named Brandon Ingram, who has shown the talent to perform on both ends of the floor at similar size and athleticism. Restricting the development of Ingram for the sake of accompanying George and Ingram in starting lineup could have not-so-good implications down the road.

fXlFKv8.gif

14 user(s) are reading this topic

5 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users

Ventiquattro, BleedPurple&Gold, kidpolean, DeeZee, MambaMentality, Bing (1)