#881 LACAS

LACAS

Off The Bench

• 1,454 posts
  • Name:CAS
  • Fan Since:1974
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted Yesterday, 08:10 AM

At this point I don't see a replacement for Randle out there worth trading for. Ibaka is a nice fit at the 4 spot for us. If we could somehow trade Randle and clarkson for another top 8 draft pick and sign ibaka I think we've improved

It'd be sort of a way of replacing Randle the prospect while finding a better fit at the 4 spot

Frees you up to draft someone like Tatum or Isaac on top of the top 3 pick in fultz, ball or Jackson

Then you have ibaka starting

I go back and forth on who I want to draft. At this point it's a toss up. Fultz helps offensively. He can get to the basket pretty well. But ball would kind of help the team in terms of movement. He'd improve our teams cohesiveness I feel.

Jackson improves this roster pretty largely defensively and athletically

All provide something. But here's the real necessity offensively. The halfcourt. We need a player that helps in the halfcourt. All top 3 have the potential to do so.

But the lakers have to find out which player can help them score more efficiently in the halfcourt

I'm personally becoming more and more enamored with the idea of Russell being our SG. Playing off the ball. So Jackson may not be my favorite pick but at 3 you have to take him and figure out fit later.

Fultz gives us dribble penetration at a level we haven't had since a young kobe.

Ball could be a glue guy for this team. Could maybe allow Russell, Ingram, zubac and Randle to kind of slide into place and be more efficient

Solid.

I think Kid was the one who mentioned the Ibaka idea, personally I hadn't thought about him, now I think he would be a solid fit especially since his birth certificate says he's only "27".

I agree with your assessment regarding the top 3, each bring something special to the team.

Regarding Russell playing SG, it could work, IMO these last few games are critical for all not named Ingram and Zubac.

I know its not a popular name but I like also like Mirotic as an option... 26 years old on his 3rd year, solid rookie year, kind of regressed or got lost in the system but as of late seems to have found his groove again, he could be a nice option for a stretch, good passing PF with a shot.

Edited by LACAS, Yesterday, 08:11 AM.

#882 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 7,018 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:29 AM

What is Ibaka supposed to accomplish? His block rate and rebounding rate are on free fall, so does his defensive stats. He is not physical enough, and becoming more and more like a Bosh type player. I'd rather keep Randle than signing Ibaka for 4 year $100m.

fXlFKv8.gif

#883 LACAS

LACAS

Off The Bench

• 1,454 posts
  • Name:CAS
  • Fan Since:1974
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted Yesterday, 08:31 AM

What is Ibaka supposed to accomplish? His block rate and rebounding rate are on free fall, so does his defensive stats. He is not physical enough, and becoming more and more like a Bosh type player. I'd rather keep Randle than signing Ibaka for 4 year $100m.

I wouldn't sign Ibaka to a 4/100M, if thats his tag Ill pass.

#884 kidpolean

kidpolean

All-Star

• 6,781 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted Yesterday, 09:08 AM

He's a stretch 4. That's what he accomplishes. He doesn't force the team to reset if he's left open and the ball is kicked back out to him. He allows Russell and Ingram to not get instantly doubled as soon as they make a move to the basket. He gives Zubac more one on one time in the post. He essentially improves every aspect of our offense.

Randle needs to go. We don't have time to wait for him to develop a jumper and drastically alter his mindset. He isn't who we are building around. His flaws will become even more apparent if we get Ball or Fultz. This offense needs a stretch 4. I'd almost take any stretch 4 over Randle at this point. He's going to be a solid player but he isn't going to win here starting in this offense.

Edited by kidpolean, Yesterday, 09:09 AM.

• LACAS likes this

#885 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 24,702 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted Yesterday, 10:00 AM

The problem here with him and Deng is not that much about the money. It is their uselessness. They are scrubs. I have heard that if a team signs waived player, his former team have to pay ONLY the remaining amount, which can be paid as it is in the contract or stretched over extended amount of time.Someone has asked nba.com writer about this not too long ago.

No that's not the case. An example is Larry sanders with the cavs. He is still being paid in full by the bucks after being waived. NBA has by far the most player friendly contracts in any sport becuase contracts are almost always fully guarenteed.

#886 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 15,822 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted Yesterday, 10:21 AM

Why would Ibaka sign to us?

And not a team much closer like even Portland.

Until Russell and Ingram develop... No GAs are coming.

Do y'all understand that?? ??

Edited by BasketballIQ, Yesterday, 10:22 AM.

#887 kidpolean

kidpolean

All-Star

• 6,781 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:46 AM

What is a GA?

I don't think anybody has stated that Ibaka will sign with us. My original idea was to trade for him prior to the trade deadline. Ibaka is probably the type of player we could overpay and atleast have a shot. Playoff teams aren't gonna give him star type money. I'm not saying that we should overpay but signing him is one of the more realistic ideas that have been thrown around here lately.

Edited by kidpolean, Yesterday, 10:50 AM.

#888 Miggs

Miggs

16x CHAMPS

• 2,455 posts
  • Name:Miguel
  • Fan Since:1988 Finals
  • Fav. Laker:Showtime,Shaq and Kobe

Posted Yesterday, 11:02 AM

jim buss is this you ?
  • fido and LACAS like this

#889 Rekal

Rekal

Rookie

• 592 posts
  • Name:J
  • Fan Since:Years
  • Fav. Laker:KB24

Posted Yesterday, 01:56 PM

Guessing Russell, Randle, Ingram, Zubac makes the core of the team next year. I don't think Russell and Randle will figure it out in a matter of months (for them it will probably come with age) However, a fresh start with a more involved Ingram - Zubac duo can change the team dynamics. Ingram is gonna be a beast next season. His effiiency in last 30 days or so is probably the key when I say this, because if you remember when we had our off-the-chart kind of start this season Deng was shooting horribly and he was tanking with his performance. I believe Ingram can turn the team around with his two-way impact like we haven't seen all season long. I guess same goes for Zubac, as we really did not get that kind of consistent offensive performance from any of our bigs all year long. Zubac is a legit inside presence. You can't teach size, and certainly you can't teach soft touch. He is gonna be the guy we will depend on nightly basis.

But, for us to succeed next year we need to have a veteran to start with those 4. I really don't care who it is. I'm not asking for names. We need someone who will complement those 4, play defense and be consistent with his effort. We don't need a hero - a hero would probably disturb the power dynamics within the team. (think Lou or Kobe)

Tasks for FO:

1. Get rid of Mozgov.
2. Bring in a starter to complement the core 4.

They can use whatever resource they want. If they accomplish this, then things may move at last.

This

#890 Rekal

Rekal

Rookie

• 592 posts
  • Name:J
  • Fan Since:Years
  • Fav. Laker:KB24

Posted Yesterday, 01:57 PM

Solid.

I think Kid was the one who mentioned the Ibaka idea, personally I hadn't thought about him, now I think he would be a solid fit especially since his birth certificate says he's only "27".

I agree with your assessment regarding the top 3, each bring something special to the team.

Regarding Russell playing SG, it could work, IMO these last few games are critical for all not named Ingram and Zubac.

I know its not a popular name but I like also like Mirotic as an option... 26 years old on his 3rd year, solid rookie year, kind of regressed or got lost in the system but as of late seems to have found his groove again, he could be a nice option for a stretch, good passing PF with a shot.

Mirotic? PASS

#891 The Alarm

The Alarm

Rookie

• 43 posts
  • Name:Orlando Subisareta
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Shaq

Posted Yesterday, 05:33 PM

No that's not the case. An example is Larry sanders with the cavs. He is still being paid in full by the bucks after being waived. NBA has by far the most player friendly contracts in any sport becuase contracts are almost always fully guarenteed.

Understood. Thanks.

#892 The Alarm

The Alarm

Rookie

• 43 posts
  • Name:Orlando Subisareta
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Shaq

Posted Yesterday, 05:40 PM

Why he would sign with us? Why not? He is just 27 and his stats are still very impressive - 14.9 ppg - 6.8 rpg - 1.7 bpg. He makes $ 12, 250 000 this season and we can offer him about $ 15 mil a year, 4 years deal. He is still one of the best defensive forwards in the NBA. We need that type of big man.

#893 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Superstar

• 7,933 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted Yesterday, 09:58 PM

Why he would sign with us? Why not? He is just 27 and his stats are still very impressive - 14.9 ppg - 6.8 rpg - 1.7 bpg. He makes $ 12, 250 000 this season and we can offer him about $ 15 mil a year, 4 years deal. He is still one of the best defensive forwards in the NBA. We need that type of big man.

When Mozgov can get 16M/yr i think Ibaka could make 25M.

Could we sign him? Possibly. The Raps would love to keep him, though, but they have issues with their cap so perhaps they wont go all-in.

The idea that FAs only sign with winning team is false. Plenty of FAs sign with losing teams and it's more a matter of circumstances that anything else. This summer, the only "winning" team that has cap space is the Celtics and while i could see Ibaka joining the Celtics i think he would consider a bunch of other teams as well.

#894 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 15,822 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted Yesterday, 10:07 PM

FAs in summer 2020 will find this a good spot. Not in the next 2.

Towns and Wiggins, and Anthony Davis and other young cores are a couple steps ahead of us

#895 kidpolean

kidpolean

All-Star

• 6,781 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:22 PM

The idea that FAs only sign with winning team is false.

That's not what people say though. The idea is that STARS don't sign with losing teams. For the most part this is true with a couple rare exceptions.

A good role player can be overpaid and lured to a losing team. A star is getting the max anywhere he goes so signing to a losing team makes no sense.

#896 manaro90

manaro90

Starter

• 4,802 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic, Nick Young

Posted Today, 12:01 AM

man im so happy when this [expletive]ing season finally ends...

Cologne, Germany Baby! LAKERS FOR LIFE.  |   Add me Instagram: princealaddin90

#897 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Superstar

• 7,933 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted Today, 02:15 AM

That's not what people say though. The idea is that STARS don't sign with losing teams. For the most part this is true with a couple rare exceptions.

A good role player can be overpaid and lured to a losing team. A star is getting the max anywhere he goes so signing to a losing team makes no sense.

First of all, the biggest stars changing teams doesn’t happen all that often so you cant really make any general rules in that regard – especially at a time when the new CBA completely turns the market upside down.

I think stars (and everyone else) look for the same things: money, winning, role, coaching, teammates and market. Some guys want winning (Durant), others want a bigger role (T-Mac), some want certain teammates (Lebron/Bosh to Miami), some want a specific market (Shaq, Melo) etc. Guys also just leave (or force their way out) because they aren’t happy with their current role.

Team record matters, of course, but not as much as the ability to win going forward. Recent history show that if you can put together 3 stars you can probably contend for a title and in that regard, who cares what the record was the previous years.

#898 kidpolean

kidpolean

All-Star

• 6,781 posts

Posted Today, 05:34 AM

First of all, the biggest stars changing teams doesn’t happen all that often so you cant really make any general rules in that regard – especially at a time when the new CBA completely turns the market upside down.

I think stars (and everyone else) look for the same things: money, winning, role, coaching, teammates and market. Some guys want winning (Durant), others want a bigger role (T-Mac), some want certain teammates (Lebron/Bosh to Miami), some want a specific market (Shaq, Melo) etc. Guys also just leave (or force their way out) because they aren’t happy with their current role.

Team record matters, of course, but not as much as the ability to win going forward. Recent history show that if you can put together 3 stars you can probably contend for a title and in that regard, who cares what the record was the previous years.

We aren't discussing building a super team. We are talking about a single star joining a losing team. I bring this up simply because people use this in their free agent ideas pretty often. For a star the money will be equal from pretty much every team. A role player can be overpaid. That is a huge difference. That's all I'm saying.

11 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 9 guests, 1 anonymous users

Miggs