#801 The Alarm

The Alarm

Rookie

• 57 posts
  • Name:Orlando Subisareta
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Shaq

Posted March 22, 2017 - 09:23 PM

I like Butler but Im not trading a 1st pick for him. Thats crazy.

Fultz/Russell/Ingram/Nance/Zubac would be a nice lineup for next season. I like to see JC and Randle off the bench.

Our problem is lack of experience, and that will come with time.

Twenty-four,

That line-up would be very nice if they play in the Mexican Basketball League. But in the NBA is whole different story my man. With that squad, we will end up again in the top 3 for the lottery.

#802 KidRN

KidRN

Hall Of Fame

• 9,159 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted March 22, 2017 - 09:32 PM

OKC got lucky to draft Ibaka, Westbrook and Durant and we all know what kind of player they are. As of GSW, they got the best GM in the history of the game in Jerry West and he built this championship team. Bring him to the Lakers and I can assure you that he will find way to get rid of Deng and Mozgov and lend some quality veterans to mentor our rookies.

Do you remember  what we did when Del Harris was here? We drafted Van Exel, Eddie Jones, E.Campbell and we still did not have a solid team. Then, we signed Shaq and traded for Kobe and still could not win a title. Not until we brought in solid veterans like R.Horry, Rick Fox, H.Grant, R.Harper, Glen Rice and Br.Show. They made the difference and we started winning trophies.
Lakers fans are sick and tired of watching this team, losing game after game after game. Till when?

This is how you build. We are going to suck for awhile. Get used to it. I'm in no hurry to build a team that gets destroyed in the playoffs for 5-10 years without winning a title.

#803 Ventiquattro

Ventiquattro

All-Star

• 6,572 posts

Posted March 23, 2017 - 05:57 AM

Twenty-four,

That line-up would be very nice if they play in the Mexican Basketball League. But in the NBA is whole different story my man. With that squad, we will end up again in the top 3 for the lottery.

but signing terrance jones doesnt ? lol

#804 LACAS

LACAS

Sixth Man

• 2,959 posts
  • Name:LACAS
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic-Kobe or Kobe-Magic

Posted March 23, 2017 - 07:02 AM

Butler wasn't anything special in his first 3 seasons. He was also 25 years old his first good season. Russell has only had two seasons but you wanna give up?

That's a huge flaw in your thinking.

What star did GS or OKC trade for during their rebuilds?

Kid, I agree with you often and in this case its not that I dont agree with you but youre placing a lot of stock on HOPE. I havent given up on Russell, he's still young and figuring out the WTF he is in the NBA, am I PG? Am I SG? I think he'll be ok but my concern regarding Russ has always been his lack of athleticism and ability to get to the basket although he has shown improvement as of late.

Regarding Butler, he was a late bloomer but he's special, he may not be Bron-level, but Jimmy is a baller and would do wonders for our youth development. Simply because Jimmy bloomed late doesnt mean that will be the case for Russell, Randle and every other youngster we have...

GS and OKC got very damn lucky; Curry, Thompson, Green, Durant, Westbrook, Harden, Ibaka... thats a total f'n fantasy, that [expletive] doesnt happen often... we cant bank on having the same luck.

With all that said I do believe we are on the right path and have some kids with potential but they arent going to make it alone, we're going to need to put some players around them and a 27-year old Butler with 2-years remaining on his contract would be a solid fit for these kids, Jimmy sets the tone for them and when his contract is up you have options furthermore Jimmy makes LA more attractive than a bunch of kids with potential.

BTW Jimmy is only being used as an example and in no way am I saying CHI would entertain moving him.

Edited by LACAS, March 23, 2017 - 08:31 AM.

#805 KidRN

KidRN

Hall Of Fame

• 9,159 posts

Posted March 23, 2017 - 09:02 AM

Kid, I agree with you often and in this case its not that I dont agree with you but youre placing a lot of stock on HOPE. I havent given up on Russell, he's still young and figuring out the WTF he is in the NBA, am I PG? Am I SG? I think he'll be ok but my concern regarding Russ has always been his lack of athleticism and ability to get to the basket although he has shown improvement as of late.

Regarding Butler, he was a late bloomer but he's special, he may not be Bron-level, but Jimmy is a baller and would do wonders for our youth development. Simply because Jimmy bloomed late doesnt mean that will be the case for Russell, Randle and every other youngster we have...

GS and OKC got very damn lucky; Curry, Thompson, Green, Durant, Westbrook, Harden, Ibaka... thats a total f'n fantasy, that [expletive] doesnt happen often... we cant bank on having the same luck.

With all that said I do believe we are on the right path and have some kids with potential but they arent going to make it alone, we're going to need to put some players around them and a 27-year old Butler with 2-years remaining on his contract would be a solid fit for these kids, Jimmy sets the tone for them and when his contract is up you have options furthermore Jimmy makes LA more attractive than a bunch of kids with potential.

BTW Jimmy is only being used as an example and in no way am I saying CHI would entertain moving him.

But what if they are late bloomers?

What if you do these trades and they end up better or leading a team to a ring?
All of our youth have proved that at the very least they can be quality rotation players. Even if they don't turn out to be great, they could easily be dealt later in a deal. There is no rush.

I don't think Russell is a late bloomer. I think he's gonna take over next season.

Edited by kidpolean, March 23, 2017 - 09:04 AM.

#806 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Do you wanna tickle my big ol' long toes?

• 11,641 posts

Posted March 23, 2017 - 10:36 AM

I don't think Russell is a late bloomer. I think he's gonna take over next season.

Fido & Tensai will make note of this.

I like to dip my feet in toilet water & smell them.

#807 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 9,255 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 23, 2017 - 10:54 AM

You guys are way to obsessed with these contracts! You just suggested we give up Ball/Fultz who have potential to be better than Butler, and are a better age to grow next to Ingram and Russell + Randle. Then we turn around and give up a pick and Clarkson simply to clear cap space.

I'm not sure why these guys contracts even bother you guys. If we have Ball/Fultz, Russell, and Ingram why do we care about second tier stars such as PG13/Butler? Develop our number 1 before we start worrying about number 2.

Let these guys develop. Trade those contracts in their final year or let them expire.

I'm not obsessed with these contracts. All i'm saying is that if we are trying to make a quick turn-around, then we probably have to get rid of these guys.

Also, if we had Ball/Fultz, Russell and Ingram on rookie deals it would be nice to put them with a couple of actual stars.

#808 KidRN

KidRN

Hall Of Fame

• 9,159 posts

Posted March 23, 2017 - 11:29 AM

Fido & Tensai will make note of this.

That's fine

#809 KidRN

KidRN

Hall Of Fame

• 9,159 posts

Posted March 23, 2017 - 11:33 AM

Ball/Fultz, Russell and Ingram on rookie deals it would be nice to put them with a couple of actual stars.

Everyone wants the Lakers to win but you have to make smart decisions. Giving up assets simply to have a chance at signing someone isn't a great idea considering what happened to us the last couple of years and our current record.

Edited by kidpolean, March 23, 2017 - 01:43 PM.

#810 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 11,627 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted March 23, 2017 - 12:51 PM

Sometimes you take a gamble amd sometimes you dont. Even IF We FANS dont like the decision. It is what it is

#811 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Do you wanna tickle my big ol' long toes?

• 11,641 posts

Posted March 23, 2017 - 01:42 PM

That's fine

V0NEG.gif

• LACAS likes this

I like to dip my feet in toilet water & smell them.

#812 LACAS

LACAS

Sixth Man

• 2,959 posts

Posted March 23, 2017 - 02:40 PM

Also, if we had Ball/Fultz, Russell and Ingram on rookie deals it would be nice to put them with a couple of actual stars.

Agreed.

Losing breeds losers.

#813 KidRN

KidRN

Hall Of Fame

• 9,159 posts

Posted March 23, 2017 - 03:00 PM

Agreed.

Losing breeds losers.

Stars don't sign to losers. You have to lose before you win.

#814 LACAS

LACAS

Sixth Man

• 2,959 posts

Posted March 23, 2017 - 03:13 PM

Stars don't sign to losers. You have to lose before you win.

Exactly why a move may be needed.... BTW we have lost a lot and almost at an unchallenged pace rivaling only Philly.

These kids arrest going to win on their own, like any kid they need guidance, they're craving a leader.

Edited by LACAS, March 23, 2017 - 03:15 PM.

#815 LACAS

LACAS

Sixth Man

• 2,959 posts

Posted March 23, 2017 - 03:32 PM

For the sake of discussion only...

Lets say we land the 1st or 2nd + the HOU pick

YOUTH:

Fultz or Ball

Russell

JC

Ingram

Randle 

Zubac

Nance

Even if we sent Russell OR Fultz/Ball + Randle + HOU pick for Butler or PG13 we would still be left with plenty of youth... just saying, we're building team not running a pre-school.

#816 Wilt Chamberneezy

Wilt Chamberneezy

Rookie

• 976 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Shaq, Kobe, Fisher,Fox, Horry

Posted March 23, 2017 - 03:56 PM

If we do end up with top 2 pick. I would rather trade for a younger all star. Like Greek Freak

#817 KidRN

KidRN

Hall Of Fame

• 9,159 posts

Posted March 23, 2017 - 04:21 PM

For the sake of discussion only...

Lets say we land the 1st or 2nd + the HOU pick

YOUTH:
Fultz or Ball
Russell
JC
Ingram
Randle 
Zubac
Nance

Even if we sent Russell OR Fultz/Ball + Randle + HOU pick for Butler or PG13 we would still be left with plenty of youth... just saying, we're building team not running a pre-school.

The problem is that to get one of them, we have to give up one of our top 3 picks (Russell, Ingram, or this year's pick). I'm not trading any of those guys unless we get a #1 option type of star. Let them grow.

#818 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

Superstar

• 7,508 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

If we do end up with top 2 pick. I would rather trade for a younger all star. Like Greek Freak

Franchise players as young as Greek Freak and at the point in his career are generally untouchable.  The only star players whom I feel will be available via trade are the same names that came up during this years trade deadline.  Jimmy Butler, Paul George, DeMarcus Cousins, and other lower tier stars such as Brook Lopez and Derrick Favors.

Out of the players available on the market, there's no reason to  trade the 2nd overall pick for any of them considering the position we are in and the fact that the 2nd overall pick will still net you a potential superstar in Fultz or Ball.

PG13 makes no sense to acquire via trade considering all the buzz he has stirred when mentioning LA as one of the 2 possible destinations he plans on potentially pursuing.  Cousins would be a gamble considering we'd be only be guaranteed a single season, and Jimmy Butler can barely lead the Bulls to a playoff birth in the Eastern Conference, he's simply not a #1 option on a Western conference contender and maybe not even a #2 option.

The ideal narrative to take if we are to retain the pick and it's in the top 2 range is draft Fultz/Ball, and see what you can get for guys like Randle, Clarkson, Mozgov, Deng, Nance Jr., and that Houston pick.  Dump salary if you're somehow able to or simply trade for an above average player that you can insert into our rotation.  Players of the caliber and level of Trevor Ariza and Danilo Galinari are what I would pursue.  They won't cost you an arm and a leg via trade and they'll also be very serviceable.

Fans want a quick fix... That's simply not possible with the current landscape of the league and the new CBA.  Kobe's only been retired for 1 year now, regardless of what sport you  are watching, franchises just don't simply go back into contention after losing a generational talent.  Rebuild by sticking with the youth and slowly inserting serviceable players around them.   If you're to quick to pull the trigger on the young guys for a chance to acquire a borderline Star, you'll simply be stuck watching a mediocre team that get's bounced in the 1st/2nd round of the playoffs for the next decade.

Edited by LakeShow1o1, March 23, 2017 - 04:23 PM.

• KidRN likes this

#819 KidRN

KidRN

Hall Of Fame

• 9,159 posts

We could offer them Ingram and Russell and they'd say no.
  • LakeShow1o1 likes this

#820 JayTheGreat

JayTheGreat

Sixth Man

• 3,515 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted March 23, 2017 - 07:31 PM

Franchise players as young as Greek Freak and at the point in his career are generally untouchable. The only star players whom I feel will be available via trade are the same names that came up during this years trade deadline. Jimmy Butler, Paul George, DeMarcus Cousins, and other lower tier stars such as Brook Lopez and Derrick Favors.

Out of the players available on the market, there's no reason to trade the 2nd overall pick for any of them considering the position we are in and the fact that the 2nd overall pick will still net you a potential superstar in Fultz or Ball.

PG13 makes no sense to acquire via trade considering all the buzz he has stirred when mentioning LA as one of the 2 possible destinations he plans on potentially pursuing. Cousins would be a gamble considering we'd be only be guaranteed a single season, and Jimmy Butler can barely lead the Bulls to a playoff birth in the Eastern Conference, he's simply not a #1 option on a Western conference contender and maybe not even a #2 option.

The ideal narrative to take if we are to retain the pick and it's in the top 2 range is draft Fultz/Ball, and see what you can get for guys like Randle, Clarkson, Mozgov, Deng, Nance Jr., and that Houston pick. Dump salary if you're somehow able to or simply trade for an above average player that you can insert into our rotation. Players of the caliber and level of Trevor Ariza and Danilo Galinari are what I would pursue. They won't cost you an arm and a leg via trade and they'll also be very serviceable.

Fans want a quick fix... That's simply not possible with the current landscape of the league and the new CBA. Kobe's only been retired for 1 year now, regardless of what sport you are watching, franchises just don't simply go back into contention after losing a generational talent. Rebuild by sticking with the youth and slowly inserting serviceable players around them. If you're to quick to pull the trigger on the young guys for a chance to acquire a borderline Star, you'll simply be stuck watching a mediocre team that get's bounced in the 1st/2nd round of the playoffs for the next decade.

I agree with all this. My issue is what if we aren't lucky again with the ping pong balls this time? If we don't obtain the pick one of the kids is guaranteed to be gone.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)