• Please log in to reply
7673 replies to this topic

#7581 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 8,502 posts

Posted November 08, 2017 - 03:29 PM

If we renounce him it would take another 3 season before we get back his full Bird rights. Besides, do you honestly believe Lopez would sign a 5M, 1 year deal?

It would not. Per cap expert Eric Pincus:

https://twitter.com/...749184633102337

There's not going to be much of a market for him. Teams can offer him the MLE of $9M over a few years, but we're banking on him returning to LA to be part of a contender, play in his hometown, and pick up one last pay day in 2019.

Not the most likeliest scenario, but it's possible.
  • martin90 and dazz like this

#7582 dazz

dazz

• 1,197 posts

Posted November 08, 2017 - 03:32 PM

There's not going to be much of a market for him. Teams can offer him the MLE of $9M over a few years, but we're banking on him returning to LA to be part of a contender, play in his hometown, and pick up one last pay day in 2019.

Oh, I stand corrected, thanks for that. 

EDIT: weird, according to this

"Once Bird rights are established, they don't go away unless the player is renounced or signs with another NBA team"

But Pincus knows his stuff, so I have no reason to doubt he's right

Edited by dazz, November 08, 2017 - 03:45 PM.

• GCMD and Massacre like this

hsl17b.jpg

#7583 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 8,502 posts

Posted November 08, 2017 - 03:47 PM

Also, one thing to keep in mind for Brook Lopez this summer:

at the end of this season, he will have made ~$125 million over his career, playing for losing teams in NJ/BK.

I like our chances, lol.
  • LakerGeezer likes this

#7584 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 8,502 posts

Posted November 08, 2017 - 03:52 PM

Oh, I stand corrected, thanks for that.

EDIT: weird, according to this

"Once Bird rights are established, they don't go away unless the player is renounced or signs with another NBA team"

But Pincus knows his stuff, so I have no reason to doubt he's right

Definitely confusing, but here.. I'll clarify.

If a team renounces a player (see question number 39), they can't use the Bird exception to re-sign him. However, if that team then re-signs the player by some other means (for example, with cap room), the team reclaims its Bird rights.

Via the Larry Coon link you posted...same section, just scroll down more.
  • GCMD and dazz like this

#7585 dazz

dazz

• 1,197 posts

Posted November 08, 2017 - 03:55 PM

Definitely confusing, but here.. I'll clarify.

Via the Larry Coon link you posted...same section, just scroll down more.

LMFAO, that's even the same chapter I posted.  :blush: How could I miss that...

Thanks again

• Massacre likes this

hsl17b.jpg

#7586 BleedPurple&Gold

BleedPurple&Gold

Superstar

• 7,238 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic

Posted November 08, 2017 - 04:16 PM

Def wouldn't mind Dario Saric

#7587 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,661 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 08, 2017 - 10:13 PM

LOL. I posted this a while back that we might be able to re-sign Lopez using the Room Exception and guys thought i was crazy. Fortunately it wasn't exactly the brain trust of Laker Nation ....

• martin90 likes this

#7588 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 13,307 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted November 09, 2017 - 01:18 AM

LOL. I posted this a while back that we might be able to re-sign Lopez using the Room Exception and guys thought i was crazy. Fortunately it wasn't exactly the brain trust of Laker Nation ....

I still think that's crazy and there is no reason to believe that will be the case unless Brook Lopez says he's open to it.  If it's a contender, maybe...but just because he likes LA?  No.

Off-Topic:

Where are all of the people who claimed BOS wouldn't be the best team in the East?  I said they would be EASILY better than the Cavs with the Kyrie trade...and they are.

tenor.gif

#7589 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,661 posts

Posted November 09, 2017 - 01:36 AM

I still think that's crazy and there is no reason to believe that will be the case unless Brook Lopez says he's open to it.  If it's a contender, maybe...but just because he likes LA?  No.

Off-Topic:

Where are all of the people who claimed BOS wouldn't be the best team in the East?  I said they would be EASILY better than the Cavs with the Kyrie trade...and they are.

For the record, the brain trust comment weren't directed at you, although we do disagree a lot about... a lot.

Regarding Lopez, i think it is important to look at the market, which teams are looking for a big, which teams have money, the guys that are available etc. I think I asked you back then to provide examples of teams who'd be looking to add Lopez and you weren't interested - or able - to provide any examples.

Now this is not the same as saying that Lopez is a lock to stay on a cheap-ass deal, but if we were to add a couple of max guys somehow, i think that is something he'd strongly consider, given what i expect to be a relatively quiet market.  

As for Boston. I dont remember my specific take on Boston, but i'm pretty sure they wouldn't be as good as they are right now, much less without Gordon Hayward. That said, i could see their 3pt percentage drop a bit and when i look through this 10-game winning streak (which IS impressive) i dont think they've had any wins against really good opponents. 

#7590 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 13,307 posts

Posted November 09, 2017 - 04:13 AM

For the record, the brain trust comment weren't directed at you, although we do disagree a lot about... a lot.

No problem.  I'm confident enough in my own intelligence that I knew you weren't talking about me...LOL.

Regarding Lopez, i think it is important to look at the market, which teams are looking for a big, which teams have money, the guys that are available etc. I think I asked you back then to provide examples of teams who'd be looking to add Lopez and you weren't interested - or able - to provide any examples.

That's valid if you want to make a claim that Lopez won't get max money.  I agree that teams aren't going to pay him as much as DMC.

It's not valid to say no team will beat our offer or what we can offer.  That's not likely and it's almost IMPOSSIBLE to predict this early in the season.  We don't know if teams will ship out certain players or just decide to part ways with them.  When you claim knowledge of the "market" for Lopez, I dispute it.  Until the Trade Deadline and possibly after the Draft Lottery, you can't possibly know which teams will or won't need Lopez's services.

Anyone disputing that Brooke Lopez is STILL a top 5 Center and possibly the 2nd best BIG to hit the market this summer is full of it, IMHO.

Now this is not the same as saying that Lopez is a lock to stay on a cheap-ass deal, but if we were to add a couple of max guys somehow, i think that is something he'd strongly consider, given what i expect to be a relatively quiet market.  

I think that's the best argument.  Could he be persuaded to take less for a good chance to win a ring?  Yes.

Your previous argument was and is based on a flawed premise - accurate knowledge of the BIG Man Market for this summer.  I disagree based on that, not that he could be persuaded to stay.

As for Boston. I dont remember my specific take on Boston, but i'm pretty sure they wouldn't be as good as they are right now, much less without Gordon Hayward. That said, i could see their 3pt percentage drop a bit and when i look through this 10-game winning streak (which IS impressive) i dont think they've had any wins against really good opponents. 

That wasn't directed at anyone.  I remember Jody claiming Cavs would be better but I don't remember everyone.

tenor.gif

#7591 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,661 posts

Posted November 09, 2017 - 04:48 AM

No problem.  I'm confident enough in my own intelligence that I knew you weren't talking about me...LOL.

Perfect answer

That's valid if you want to make a claim that Lopez won't get max money.  I agree that teams aren't going to pay him as much as DMC.

It's not valid to say no team will beat our offer or what we can offer.  That's not likely and it's almost IMPOSSIBLE to predict this early in the season.  We don't know if teams will ship out certain players or just decide to part ways with them.  When you claim knowledge of the "market" for Lopez, I dispute it.  Until the Trade Deadline and possibly after the Draft Lottery, you can't possibly know which teams will or won't need Lopez's services.

I dont claim to know exactly how the market will look pan out. But we do know which players are available at his position and we know which teams are likely to have money to spend and based on that information as well as the actual players they have i think we can make a pretty educated guess.

I mean, Utah theoreticaly have cap space, but as long as they have Gobert i think it is highly unlikely that they would sign Lopez to a contract that would match what he can get long term with the Lakers. But of course its possible.

#7592 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 10,931 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989

Posted November 09, 2017 - 06:44 AM

Yes it's b-league. Buuuuut

Let 'em know @nolimittb31!

30 points (10-16 FG, 4-7 3 PT)
8 rebounds
#SBLakersWin https://t.co/8n0P3Ritrg

Thomas Bryant should get mote burn than Bogut

Edited by FranklinPeanuts, November 09, 2017 - 06:44 AM.

• Olabebeh and ChichoGarcy like this

#7593 ChichoGarcy

ChichoGarcy

Off The Bench

• 1,466 posts
  • Name:Chicho
  • Fan Since:1992

Posted November 09, 2017 - 07:44 AM

I totally agree, 4 or 5 minutes per game.

#7594 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 10,931 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989

Posted November 09, 2017 - 08:04 AM

Julius Randle is “very unlikely” to remain with Lakers long term. (h/t @MyNBAUpdate) https://t.co/XtEJ82dI5W

I don't like that they are putting it out there. True or not..
  • Busty Bluth likes this

#7595 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 27,271 posts
  • Name:Byron "Buster AKA Busty" Bluth

Posted November 09, 2017 - 10:56 AM

LeBron is slipping... he can get numbers but his impact on a game diminishing.

Boogie issa no

LeBron is going to need better players around him. Even more than now. Cousin shouldn’t even be considered unless you have someone to hold him accountable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buster_bcfa40_2218659_zpsbf0d8a7a.gif

#7596 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 27,271 posts

Posted November 09, 2017 - 10:56 AM

Julius Randle is “very unlikely” to remain with Lakers long term. (h/t @MyNBAUpdate) https://t.co/XtEJ82dI5W

I don't like that they are putting it out there. True or not..

Too many leaks

• FranklinPeanuts likes this

#7597 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 27,271 posts

Posted November 09, 2017 - 10:58 AM

Yes it's b-league. Buuuuut

Let 'em know @nolimittb31!

30 points (10-16 FG, 4-7 3 PT)

8 rebounds

#SBLakersWin https://t.co/8n0P3Ritrg

Thomas Bryant should get mote burn than Bogut

So they think Bryant can replace what Julius does?

#7598 Rekal

Rekal

Rookie

• 964 posts
  • Name:J
  • Fan Since:Years
  • Fav. Laker:KB24

Posted November 09, 2017 - 11:39 AM

Too many leaks

if it’s our FO leaking ... what would be the motive.... ?
Does our FO believe that the league now, after his play of late, think randle is untouchable so we slipped some info so people know he can still be had?
or is someone else trying to pry him away?

“we gotta get rid of him or something” isn’t a good place to start negotiations

#7599 LACAS

LACAS

Off The Bench

• 2,295 posts
  • Name:CAS
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted November 09, 2017 - 01:53 PM

Not sure if Bron is slipping but he sure seems checked out, doesn't look or feel like the Bron we have come to know.

#7600 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,212 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted November 09, 2017 - 02:06 PM

You sure it's him and not the team? I think dude just dropped 57 the other night

Not sure if Bron is slipping but he sure seems checked out, doesn't look or feel like the Bron we have come to know.

• GCMD and LACAS like this

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)