• Please log in to reply
7807 replies to this topic

#7381 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 13,358 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted September 21, 2017 - 11:24 PM

Eric's a nice guy, and all connected/well-know/famous(?) people have to come from somewhere.  So, there's no reason to diminish him just because he used to post on these forums a long time ago.   Everyone is known by someone before they become somebody.

That said, he seems to have carved his niche by really learning about the salary cap and how pieces can and would fit together.  This Lopez bit falls right in line with that.  He writes stories with all the numbers presented about what could happen, and uses that to distinguish himself from a lot of other guys on second-tier sites who just speculate about the numbers.  This doesn't necessarily mean that he has a particular degree of insight into what is likely to happen. 

He did well to carve this niche (perhaps he leveraged his relationship with Larry Coon?), as this probably contributed to his ability to transition from a message board/blog type to writing for the improved Bleacher Report. 

Not to pick on him, but I'll never forget when he "broke" the story about the Lakers trading for the Pacers #17 pick on draft day years ago.  It got picked up by SI.com, if I remember correctly.  Nothing about the deal made any sense, at all.  So, no surprise really when it didn't happen. But it was kind of funny reading people debate him over the justification for the deal, while others were celebrating the relative "steal" of a draft pick, which of course, never came to fruition. 

Did you forget all of the long conversations about Jonathan Bender?  LOL...that was a "thing" a long time ago.

I did not mean to imply that emplay isn't good at what he does.  I was trying to challenge DL's claim that Emplay's discussion of a topic made it "likely" by pointing out that Emplay is just a guy.  He's just like all other reporters and he can be wrong. 10 months away from Free Agency, I'm not putting stock in ANY STORY making the claim that a top 5 C is going to take a 75% paycut to be in LA...not without Lopez or his agent or Magic or Pelinka giving it legs.

Eric is a good guy.  I like him.  That doesn't mean I blindly co-sign anything he says.

Edited by GCMD, September 21, 2017 - 11:25 PM.

• UKUGA likes this

tenor.gif

#7382 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,711 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted September 22, 2017 - 12:40 AM

Eric is a good guy.  I like him.  That doesn't mean I blindly co-sign anything he says.

Fine. You dont think it's realistic at all that we can add Lopez using that approach. That's fine, i can easily live with you disagreing with me - that's what we do here, basically. But you're being unfair when you try to write it off as some crazy fan fantasy.

#7383 UKUGA

UKUGA

Superstar

• 7,583 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted September 22, 2017 - 04:47 AM

Did you forget all of the long conversations about Jonathan Bender?  LOL...that was a "thing" a long time ago.

I did not mean to imply that emplay isn't good at what he does.  I was trying to challenge DL's claim that Emplay's discussion of a topic made it "likely" by pointing out that Emplay is just a guy.  He's just like all other reporters and he can be wrong. 10 months away from Free Agency, I'm not putting stock in ANY STORY making the claim that a top 5 C is going to take a 75% paycut to be in LA...not without Lopez or his agent or Magic or Pelinka giving it legs.

I thought the Jonathan Bender thing was somehow tied to that Pacers trade? But, maybe I merged it together in my mind. 

• GCMD likes this

Don't feed the trolls. 

#7384 UKUGA

UKUGA

Superstar

• 7,583 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted September 22, 2017 - 10:06 AM

Hey, look.  This guy blogged about it:

http://dennisdlakers...ot.com/2005/06/

*Lakers Trade Slava Medvedenko, Devean George, and 2nd Round Pick(37) to Pacers for Jonathan Bender and 17th Overall Pick.

As I said before, I like this trade.

Free Agency
Dan Gadzuric(MLE)
Tony Delk(LLE)

Don't feed the trolls. 

#7385 DTIII™

DTIII™

"I am one with the force, the force is with me."

• 5,764 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Julius, D'Angelo & Jordan

Posted September 23, 2017 - 12:45 PM

Free agent guard Trey Burke is finalizing a deal with the Oklahoma City Thunder, league sources tell The Vertical.

Shams Charania Retweeted Shams Charania

Update: Burke has changed course on deal with OKC and will remain a free agent, league sources say.

Edited by DTIII™, September 23, 2017 - 04:28 PM.

EyMlHkX.jpg

#7386 DeeZee

DeeZee

Starter

• 4,642 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe. Shaq.

Posted September 24, 2017 - 08:00 PM

Alex Kennedy‏ @AlexKennedyNBA 

The Los Angeles Lakers are among the teams to reach out to Dwyane Wade, according to sources.

#7387 Aykut Purde

Aykut Purde

Rookie

• 564 posts
  • Name:Aykut
  • Fan Since:2001

Posted September 25, 2017 - 05:34 AM

Before Ball, i'd consider him. Because he'd be our only high profile guy, no matter his age he would still sell tickets and lots of jerseys. But i think the vibe Ball provided is enough for a team like us. We will have our struggles but hopefully have a winning mindset. Also i value KCP higher than Wade for our team. Defence KCP will provide is priceless right now. A trio of Ball-Wade-Ingram is not gonna be effective defensively. Although Ball and BI have potential, Wade is not one to make them shine on that end. 

The idea of D-Wade is exciting and i'd consider him on a 1 year deal. But in our current circumstances, i think i will pass.

• GCMD likes this

My latest game review: https://steemit.com/...-the-rescue-6-8

I am on Steemit! Writing both in english and turkish. I will try to write about Lakers, so follow me :) I also changed my name to my real name: Aykut Purde. I was nikolatesla before.

https://steemit.com/@aykutpurde

#7388 DeeZee

DeeZee

Starter

• 4,642 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe. Shaq.

Posted September 25, 2017 - 08:26 AM

Philadelphia 76ers ✔ @sixers
The team has agreed to terms with @KrisHumphries and Emeka Okafor.

#7389 Aykut Purde

Aykut Purde

Rookie

• 564 posts
  • Name:Aykut
  • Fan Since:2001

Posted September 25, 2017 - 11:48 AM

Okafor was a double double guy for most of his career before being injured more than last 5 years. He is a good guy too, i will root for him. But i don't think he will be able to ink a permanent contract.

My latest game review: https://steemit.com/...-the-rescue-6-8

I am on Steemit! Writing both in english and turkish. I will try to write about Lakers, so follow me :) I also changed my name to my real name: Aykut Purde. I was nikolatesla before.

https://steemit.com/@aykutpurde

#7390 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,680 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted September 25, 2017 - 01:52 PM

Bron to Houston next year.
Klay to Lakers in 19.
  • Oasis Lover likes this

#7391 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,711 posts

Posted September 28, 2017 - 10:57 PM

https://basketball.r...$108M-For-19-20

Salary cap: 

2018-19: 101M

2019-20: 108M.

Doesn't change the landscape a whole lot because we still need to reduce payroll in order to get to two max slots.

#7392 Chick Stern

Chick Stern

Rookie

• 824 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Big 4: West/Kareem/Magic/Kobe

Posted September 29, 2017 - 07:44 AM

Just say no to LeBron

"You can't get much done in life if you only work on the days when you feel good."

--Jerry West

#7393 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 13,358 posts

Posted September 29, 2017 - 12:34 PM

https://basketball.r...$108M-For-19-20

Salary cap: 

2018-19: 101M

2019-20: 108M.

Doesn't change the landscape a whole lot because we still need to reduce payroll in order to get to two max slots.

Does make it harder to keep Randle and create 2 max slots though...unless he takes the QO.

tenor.gif

#7394 KidRN

KidRN

Hall Of Fame

• 8,446 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted September 29, 2017 - 02:34 PM

Does make it harder to keep Randle and create 2 max slots though...unless he takes the QO.

He wont and he shouldnt. He's young, he should follow the money and worry about ring chasing later.
  • GCMD likes this

#7395 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 10,989 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989

Posted September 29, 2017 - 08:59 PM

Unfortunately that is how most young players think.
  • GCMD likes this

#7396 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,711 posts

Posted September 29, 2017 - 10:04 PM

True, but not by much as the max contracts decrease as well.
  • GCMD likes this

#7397 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 3,431 posts
  • Name:Ryan

Posted September 30, 2017 - 09:03 AM

Just say no to LeBron

Hypothetical...LeBron signs for the max next summer.  Age 34-37 basically.  The Lakers get one championship out of it.  Worth it?  

#7398 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 10,989 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989

Posted September 30, 2017 - 12:10 PM

Hypothetical...LeBron signs for the max next summer. Age 34-37 basically. The Lakers get one championship out of it. Worth it?

I'm going to keep it real with you and myself. I do not like LeBron but it would be worth it. That would tie Boston for the most championships, right? I would be down at the parade booing him and cheering the Lakers. Lol
  • GCMD, Jody Smokes and lakerfan98 like this

#7399 androsays

androsays

representing infinity with presidencies

• 5,819 posts
  • Name:andro
  • Fan Since:90s
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted September 30, 2017 - 02:27 PM

Just cuz we've been so lucky with spurts of multiple championship teams, doesn't change the fact that winning a chip is extremely difficult. One ring would definitely be worth it.

Signing LBJ would also rid the Lakers of that dark cloud hanging over our heads that we can no longer sign big name FAs.

A third (personal) benefit would be to see how Kobe-stans would react to an LBJ signing.
  • GCMD likes this

2div

#7400 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,286 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted September 30, 2017 - 07:00 PM

My thoughts.  I dont care for him as a fan but he's the best basketball player and he's not really showing signs of slowing up enough for people to question if he can be elite for the next 3 years.  Even a Lebron on the downside is easily top 5 in the NBA.  

I'm going to keep it real with you and myself. I do not like LeBron but it would be worth it. That would tie Boston for the most championships, right? I would be down at the parade booing him and cheering the Lakers. Lol

• FranklinPeanuts and GCMD like this

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

4 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (3), DanishLakerFan