7384 replies to this topic

#7361 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,485 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted September 13, 2017 - 04:22 AM

Dude...you seriously need to think about what you are saying.

You expect Lopez to accept 4.5M a year, which is less than Ball will make this season, with no guarantee of a larger contract later on. You also expect him to accept this while coming off the bench.

The part that really makes no sense that hasn't even been covered yet is the fact that you expect the Lakers to pay the luxury tax for a back up C that adds nothing to the team that Cousins doesn't already bring.

No part of your idea is likely. This scenario doesn't benefit the Lakers nor does it benefit Lopez.

You seriously need to [expletive]ing learn how to read.

I initially wrote about an idea that Eric Pincus had about how it could be possible to keep Lopez, so it’s not like i’ve taken this out of thin air.

Then i wrote what i thought would be an ideal FA haul – KCP, Boogie and PG13 – and that adding Lopez to that using the apporach above would be perfect.

Do i expect Lopez to accept 4.5M per year? Probably not – didn’t expect KCP to be waived by Det and sign for 17M in LA either, nor did i expect Dallas to allow Nerlens Noel to take the qualifying offer, but it happened. The reason why is because of the market, but you’re apparently allergic to looking at those kind of aspects of the nba.

In 2018 you’ve got only a small handfull of teams that has both the cap space and need for a C and you’ve got Lopez, Boogie, Monroe, Favors, Noel, Embiid, Nurkic and Capela all hitting free agency that summer. In other words, for a big lumbering C that isn’t know for his defensive abilities, the market very well could be drier than a nun’s…

If that’s the case, which it looks to be, then it’s between taking the full mid-level with Milwaukee or something, i could easily see Lopez gamble on himself and take a ”wink-wink-pay-you-later”-deal with the Lakers if it meant playing with Lebron and George. The fact that he’s born in Hollywood, already made more than 100M but only has played in 13 playoff games in his career is just extra incentive.

Regarding the luxury tax, then its not as big of a problem as you might think. Randle, Clarkson and Deng would be off the books and the extensions for Ingram and Ball wouldn’t kick in until the 20/21 and 21/22 season. Also, the Lakers never were afraid to pay the luxury tax.

#7362 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 8,036 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted September 13, 2017 - 04:45 AM

I initially wrote about an idea that Eric Pincus had about how it could be possible to keep Lopez, so it’s not like i’ve taken this out of thin air.

Then i wrote what i thought would be an ideal FA haul – KCP, Boogie and PG13 – and that adding Lopez to that using the apporach above would be perfect.

Do i expect Lopez to accept 4.5M per year? Probably not – didn’t expect KCP to be waived by Det and sign for 17M in LA either, nor did i expect Dallas to allow Nerlens Noel to take the qualifying offer, but it happened. The reason why is because of the market, but you’re apparently allergic to looking at those kind of aspects of the nba.

In 2018 you’ve got only a small handfull of teams that has both the cap space and need for a C and you’ve got Lopez, Boogie, Monroe, Favors, Noel, Embiid, Nurkic and Capela all hitting free agency that summer. In other words, for a big lumbering C that isn’t know for his defensive abilities, the market very well could be drier than a nun’s…

If that’s the case, which it looks to be, then it’s between taking the full mid-level with Milwaukee or something, i could easily see Lopez gamble on himself and take a ”wink-wink-pay-you-later”-deal with the Lakers if it meant playing with Lebron and George. The fact that he’s born in Hollywood, already made more than 100M but only has played in 13 playoff games in his career is just extra incentive.

Regarding the luxury tax, then its not as big of a problem as you might think. Randle, Clarkson and Deng would be off the books and the extensions for Ingram and Ball wouldn’t kick in until the 20/21 and 21/22 season. Also, the Lakers never were afraid to pay the luxury tax.

Lmao...so no other team in the entire nba will want Lopez but the Lakers will pay the luxury tax to keep him?

Why is he worth the 20M and paying the luxury tax to the Lakers but no other team will even offer him a deal? Seriously, do you even read the stuff you type?

Stop trying to blame Pincus. He didn't force you to type repetitive idiotic statements!

Smh...Delusional Laker fans are hilarious

Edited by kidpolean, September 13, 2017 - 04:46 AM.

• GCMD likes this

#7363 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 6,918 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted September 13, 2017 - 05:16 AM

I count 8 players listed here.

So isn't this more than 1/4 of all NBA teams that will need a center?

Let alone the ones that don't have one as good as Brook now with money to sign?

We have better more likely scenarios to argue about.

Don't we?

• GCMD likes this

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#7364 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,485 posts

Posted September 13, 2017 - 06:36 AM

Lmao...so no other team in the entire nba will want Lopez but the Lakers will pay the luxury tax to keep him?

Why is he worth the 20M and paying the luxury tax to the Lakers but no other team will even offer him a deal? Seriously, do you even read the stuff you type?

Stop trying to blame Pincus. He didn't force you to type repetitive idiotic statements!

Smh...Delusional Laker fans are hilarious

So you're calling me a liar and an idiot? Go [expletive] yourself, troll.

#7365 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 8,036 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted September 13, 2017 - 07:30 AM

So you're calling me a liar and an idiot? Go [expletive] yourself, troll.

Trolls usually don't have 8000 posts! I've been on this forum for a pretty long time and am one of the more consistent posters.

You started this argument, don't get butt hurt now.

Several people have told you that your idea is flawed, not just me.

Edited by kidpolean, September 13, 2017 - 07:30 AM.

#7366 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,806 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted September 13, 2017 - 10:12 AM

Not trying to take sides but DL, you stance requires unique circumstances that aren't likely.  I think that's what kid is trying to say.  No need for you guys to get in trouble over a simple misunderstanding.

If you get banned, who will I argue with?  LOL...

• kidpolean likes this

tenor.gif

#7367 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 2,676 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted September 14, 2017 - 02:54 PM

You can argue with me!

• GCMD likes this

#7368 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,485 posts

Posted September 15, 2017 - 11:50 PM

Not trying to take sides but DL, you stance requires unique circumstances that aren't likely.  I think that's what kid is trying to say.  No need for you guys to get in trouble over a simple misunderstanding.

If you get banned, who will I argue with?  LOL...

When it comes to Cs the 2018 free agency is a buyer's market. That is not a "stance" nor is it unique circumstances.

#7369 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,806 posts

Posted September 16, 2017 - 03:32 AM

When it comes to Cs the 2018 free agency is a buyer's market. That is not a "stance" nor is it unique circumstances.

You're saying no one else will have money or they won't want to spend it on Lopez who is arguably a top 5 C...

No way you can say that with any degree of certainty...that's a stance, not a fact.

You also added that Lopez would choose to stay in LA for a LOT less than he's worth and making this year.

None of what you're saying is normal.  Not sure why you're arguing that it's likely...and if you're not, why argue?

• kidpolean likes this

tenor.gif

#7370 LACAS

LACAS

Off The Bench

• 2,158 posts
  • Name:CAS
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted September 16, 2017 - 08:29 AM

I say we wait and see what Lopez brings this year...

#7371 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,485 posts

Posted September 16, 2017 - 08:56 AM

You're saying no one else will have money or they won't want to spend it on Lopez who is arguably a top 5 C...

No way you can say that with any degree of certainty...that's a stance, not a fact.

You also added that Lopez would choose to stay in LA for a LOT less than he's worth and making this year.

None of what you're saying is normal.  Not sure why you're arguing that it's likely...and if you're not, why argue?

I cant say anything with any degree of certainty, but if you follow the nba and know a little about the cba, payroll, free agency etc. you should know that there will be more available Cs next summer than teams that need a C. In addition, the few teams that need a 5 are rebuilding teams with a young core and i dont think Lopez will be a priority for these teams.

Which teams do you think would offer Lopez a lucrative contract?

Now, i'm not not saying that Lopez will stay in LA for less. But i think it's interesting that the Lakers would be able to keep his Bird rights in such a scenario.

#7372 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 10,800 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989

Posted September 16, 2017 - 09:09 PM

Any thing is possible

#7373 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,485 posts

Posted September 21, 2017 - 08:12 AM

So, you're not willing to try and give examples of teams that would be interested in giving Lopez a lucrative deal. Fine. But why dont you listen to the recent Hollywood HOops podcast with Pincus.

#7374 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 6,918 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted September 21, 2017 - 09:35 AM

Feel like maybe Spurs find a way to bring him in.

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#7375 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,806 posts

Posted September 21, 2017 - 10:02 AM

So, you're not willing to try and give examples of teams that would be interested in giving Lopez a lucrative deal. Fine. But why dont you listen to the recent Hollywood HOops podcast with Pincus.

I don't keep up with all of the different podcasts and I didn't listen to this one (likely won't even look for it, to be honest).  I'm sure emplay had insightful, educated "guesses" but they aren't any more certain than what we are throwing out, which is the point.  You have the right to believe whatever you want but that doesn't mean it's more likely...

We already have goals that severely constrain what we could pay him.  Could he WANT to take less?  Sure...especially if we land LeBron and *insert 2nd star*...but that's not more likely than him taking the best contract offer he receives.  We have been down that road (unrealistic expectations) and it doesn't work out for us.

Not to mention, you can't know if Lopez is a guy LeBron would want to play with.  That will be an important factor...as much as how much we have to offer.

I have conceded that it is theoretically possible to keep Lopez.  When are you going to concede that it's not realistic to consider this as a legit plan for next offseason, given all of the moving parts it would take just to get 2 max players?  This is like icing, not cake.

Edited by GCMD, September 21, 2017 - 10:03 AM.

• kidpolean likes this

tenor.gif

#7376 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,485 posts

Posted September 21, 2017 - 10:36 AM

I wont concede a damn thing. If you know about the nba market, free agency and the cba i think its pretty obvious that this very much could be a possibility.

Eric Pincus is pretty connected. Here's his quote:

"... i've noted that i think there is a reasonably high chance he (Lopez) could stick around at the team's 4.5 (roughly) million dollar room exception for one year next year and then re-sign the following year for more because i dont think there's going to be a great market for centers and there are centers ahead of him - DeAndre Jordan and Nerlens Noel, perhaps - so i dont know at his age - he'll be right around 30 that he'll get a huge offer, there wont be many teams with cap room, the economics of the league is shifting again, back to kinda how it used to be before we had this major influx of money. Players are still going to get more than they used to but i dont think he's going to get a great opportunity and so i think there's an opportunity for the Lakers to keep him. So we'll wait and see..."

Now will it happen. Who the [expletive] knows. A lot can happen, but to laugh it off as if it's some complete fan pipe dream isn't fair.

#7377 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,806 posts

Posted September 21, 2017 - 10:56 AM

I wont concede a damn thing. If you know about the nba market, free agency and the cba i think its pretty obvious that this very much could be a possibility.

Eric Pincus is pretty connected. Here's his quote:

"... i've noted that i think there is a reasonably high chance he (Lopez) could stick around at the team's 4.5 (roughly) million dollar room exception for one year next year and then re-sign the following year for more because i dont think there's going to be a great market for centers and there are centers ahead of him - DeAndre Jordan and Nerlens Noel, perhaps - so i dont know at his age - he'll be right around 30 that he'll get a huge offer, there wont be many teams with cap room, the economics of the league is shifting again, back to kinda how it used to be before we had this major influx of money. Players are still going to get more than they used to but i dont think he's going to get a great opportunity and so i think there's an opportunity for the Lakers to keep him. So we'll wait and see..."

Now will it happen. Who the [expletive] knows. A lot can happen, but to laugh it off as if it's some complete fan pipe dream isn't fair.

Yes...because emplay (a guy I was talking to on these same boards over a DECADE ago before he broke into major news and before he was known to ANYBODY) said so?

Sure...I remember Eric when he had his first kid.  I remember Eric when we would spar about little things like Tierre Brown.  He's smart and a good guy.  He's not someone I'm going to depend on to change a "Hail Mary" into a layup.

Come on, DL.  This isn't rocket science.  If it happens, cool.  Saying it's likely?  That's not realistic.  But it seems you want to "die" on this hill so just go with GOD.  It makes no difference either way.   Most rational people get the difference in possible and likely.  If you want to continue arguing that this is likely, do it with someone else.

Peace, my friend.

tenor.gif

#7378 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,485 posts

Posted September 21, 2017 - 11:21 AM

Yes...because emplay (a guy I was talking to on these same boards over a DECADE ago before he broke into major news and before he was known to ANYBODY) said so?

Sure...I remember Eric when he had his first kid.  I remember Eric when we would spar about little things like Tierre Brown.  He's smart and a good guy.  He's not someone I'm going to depend on to change a "Hail Mary" into a layup.

Come on, DL.  This isn't rocket science.  If it happens, cool.  Saying it's likely?  That's not realistic.  But it seems you want to "die" on this hill so just go with GOD.  It makes no difference either way.   Most rational people get the difference in possible and likely.  If you want to continue arguing that this is likely, do it with someone else.

Peace, my friend.

There is a pretty long way between possible and likely. I dont think i ever said it was likely that we could pull it off. But i think it's an option that is actually on the table. That's all.

But you go ahead and deal only in absolutes.

#7379 UKUGA

UKUGA

Superstar

• 7,411 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted September 21, 2017 - 11:33 AM

Eric's a nice guy, and all connected/well-know/famous(?) people have to come from somewhere.  So, there's no reason to diminish him just because he used to post on these forums a long time ago.   Everyone is known by someone before they become somebody.

That said, he seems to have carved his niche by really learning about the salary cap and how pieces can and would fit together.  This Lopez bit falls right in line with that.  He writes stories with all the numbers presented about what could happen, and uses that to distinguish himself from a lot of other guys on second-tier sites who just speculate about the numbers.  This doesn't necessarily mean that he has a particular degree of insight into what is likely to happen. 

He did well to carve this niche (perhaps he leveraged his relationship with Larry Coon?), as this probably contributed to his ability to transition from a message board/blog type to writing for the improved Bleacher Report. 

Not to pick on him, but I'll never forget when he "broke" the story about the Lakers trading for the Pacers #17 pick on draft day years ago.  It got picked up by SI.com, if I remember correctly.  Nothing about the deal made any sense, at all.  So, no surprise really when it didn't happen. But it was kind of funny reading people debate him over the justification for the deal, while others were celebrating the relative "steal" of a draft pick, which of course, never came to fruition. 

Edited by UKUGA, September 21, 2017 - 11:35 AM.

Don't feed the trolls. 

#7380 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 2,676 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted September 21, 2017 - 04:17 PM

Best deal that never happened

7 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users

erfolk, Bing (1)