#2061 UKUGA

UKUGA

Superstar

• 7,435 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted June 19, 2017 - 05:30 AM

After thinking about this, I think the Lakers are about to do something really stupid or really smart.

I wonder why this came about right before the draft?  Why would PG13 drop this bomb now?  It's not like he truly cares about IND if he's telling them he's leaving regardless.  I think this all came about because the Lakers have the #2 and IND will more likely take picks than players.  The Kings have the 5th and 10th picks.  If the Lakers trade back, they could offer 5th/10th/28th/Clarkson/Brewer for PG13.  That's a respectable haul.

On the other hand, if the Lakers can't get the 5th/10th, IND asks for 2nd/28th/Clarkson/Brewer.

Do we low ball them and keep the 2nd pick?  Or do we make a respectable offer?  How soon does IND panic or do they panic at all?  If PG13 backtracks and says he will consider IND next offseason, do they still need to trade him?

PG13, Russell and Randle all have the same agent...doubt Russell or Randle are involved but if we could trade either for the 5th/10th, that would allow us to keep the 2nd pick...

Like I said...we are likely to do something really stupid or really smart...

I don't think we are giving up the #2 pick in a deal for Paul George (or even as part of the process of obtaining George).  I just don't. 

But, if the #2 goes, then a bad contract has to go with it, right?  

If we do free up salary, then we are talking about positioning ourselves to make a play in free agency (no later than next summer), instead of worrying about whether we hit or miss on the #2.

Edited by UKUGA, June 19, 2017 - 05:35 AM.

Don't feed the trolls. 

#2062 UKUGA

UKUGA

Superstar

• 7,435 posts

Posted June 19, 2017 - 05:32 AM

Most teams aren't offering much of anything because he won't re-sign with them.  If they can get IND to cut bait and accept a deal like that, I don't know what I'd do...that would feel wrong.

Ideally, we flip Randle/28th to SAC for the 5th/10th, send the 5th/10th/Clarkson and Nance or Zubac to IND for PG13...I think that's fair especially considering the circumstances.

I have trouble seeing that part come together, especially if SAC wants a PG (Fox). 

Edited by UKUGA, June 19, 2017 - 05:33 AM.

Don't feed the trolls. 

#2063 LACAS

LACAS

Off The Bench

• 2,208 posts
  • Name:CAS
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted June 19, 2017 - 05:35 AM

As much as I would love PG13 in purple & gold... something tells me he will be CAV soon. CLE is desperate and willing to gamble on PG, they are cocky enough to believe their culture could convince PG to stay.

Other than CLE, I only see a few other possibilities; the Clips, they could send Blake and there's always Pop and the Spurs. 

Edited by LACAS, June 19, 2017 - 09:42 AM.

• UKUGA likes this

#2064 JayTheGreat

JayTheGreat

Sixth Man

• 3,321 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted June 19, 2017 - 05:38 AM

He said he preferred meaning it's his main choice. Letting him go to a contender would be a mistake. Melo said want.

Edited by JayTheGreat, June 19, 2017 - 05:38 AM.

#2065 LACAS

LACAS

Off The Bench

• 2,208 posts
  • Name:CAS
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted June 19, 2017 - 05:45 AM

He said he preferred meaning it's his main choice. Letting him go to a contender would be a mistake. Melo said want.

Agreed... I simply don't know what it would take to get him here without gutting the team.

JC, Randle, #28th and Moz?

JC, Randle, #28th and Deng?

I think we need to add another pick to make the deal possible, word is the LAL are trying to obtain another pick...

Edited by LACAS, June 19, 2017 - 05:45 AM.

#2066 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,139 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 19, 2017 - 05:50 AM

Almost nothing CLE can offer outside of Love is better than what LA could offer with say Clarkson, 28 and Nance or something like that.  No need to overreact and over offer.  I don't think PG will stay in CLE regardless of the outcome.  Im also not sold they beat GSW by simply swapping him for Love.

• LACAS likes this

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#2067 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 8,093 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted June 19, 2017 - 05:55 AM

Agreed... I simply don't know what it would take to get him here without gutting the team.

I think we need to add another pick to make the deal possible, word is the LAL are trying to obtain another pick...

I don't think they take on Moz/Deng and Randle. Once Randle is resigned that would be locking up 40M of cap space for two players that bring very little to their team.

That's not how you rebuild!

#2068 UKUGA

UKUGA

Superstar

• 7,435 posts

Posted June 19, 2017 - 06:14 AM

Neither of those are gutting the team.

Those are the kind of deals we'd love to make to acquire George. 

• LACAS likes this

Don't feed the trolls. 

#2069 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 25,660 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted June 19, 2017 - 06:17 AM

As much as I would love PG13 in purple & gold... something tells me he will be CAV soon. CLE is desperate and willing to gamble on PG, they are cocky enough to believe the culture could convince PG to stay.

Other than CLE, I only see a few other possibilities; the Clips, they could send Blake and there's always Pop and the Spurs. 

Cavs have nothing to offer. They would need a 3rd team with picks to take Love. Only 2 teams that I can think of who would fit into that, celtics and blazers. Celtics I think have bigger targets than love in their sights, also hard to imagine they will help the cavs get PG. So blazers would probably be the top option for the 3rd team but I still not sure they would want Love. Picks are very valuable right now because GS has basically locked up things for a couple seasons. Getting love might not be something they are interested in. 

• bfc1125roy and LACAS like this

#2070 UKUGA

UKUGA

Superstar

• 7,435 posts

Posted June 19, 2017 - 06:33 AM

Cavs have nothing to offer. They would need a 3rd team with picks to take Love. Only 2 teams that I can think of who would fit into that, celtics and blazers. Celtics I think have bigger targets than love in their sights, also hard to imagine they will help the cavs get PG. So blazers would probably be the top option for the 3rd team but I still not sure they would want Love. Picks are very valuable right now because GS has basically locked up things for a couple seasons. Getting love might not be something they are interested in. 

IMO, Celtics are in best position to "rent' PG13.  They have a boatload of picks and young talent to boot. 

Even if they take a stab, and he walks next season, they are still a talented team with a (smaller) boatload of picks.  

As it stands, they have a pretty good shot at winning the ECF next year, if they can acquire him, given that they likely won't give up a significant roster piece in the process. 

Don't feed the trolls. 

#2071 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 2,697 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted June 19, 2017 - 07:03 AM

Some of you are acting like the sky is falling. Even if PG was here now for nothing this is a rebuild, it will take time players his age see the hour glass running out, he'd bolt after no progress and then what? You play it smart build as if he doesn't exist, then when He's a FA comes and if dealt to a team he likes he stays there but he would've left here anyway, if it's that thin. Keep yer powder dry. Don't shoot til you see the whites of their eyes. It's not like he is Kobe. He!s a star but not superstar wait it out.

#2072 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,139 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 19, 2017 - 07:14 AM

I think PG makes LA a playoff team next season with growth from Russell, Ingram and vets like Mozgov and Deng starting. 

• LACAS likes this

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#2073 Artest37

Artest37

Rookie

• 758 posts
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Lonzo Ball BBB!

Posted June 19, 2017 - 07:48 AM

After thinking about this, I think the Lakers are about to do something really stupid or really smart.

I wonder why this came about right before the draft?  Why would PG13 drop this bomb now?  It's not like he truly cares about IND if he's telling them he's leaving regardless.  I think this all came about because the Lakers have the #2 and IND will more likely take picks than players.  The Kings have the 5th and 10th picks.  If the Lakers trade back, they could offer 5th/10th/28th/Clarkson/Brewer for PG13.  That's a respectable haul.

On the other hand, if the Lakers can't get the 5th/10th, IND asks for 2nd/28th/Clarkson/Brewer.

Do we low ball them and keep the 2nd pick?  Or do we make a respectable offer?  How soon does IND panic or do they panic at all?  If PG13 backtracks and says he will consider IND next offseason, do they still need to trade him?

PG13, Russell and Randle all have the same agent...doubt Russell or Randle are involved but if we could trade either for the 5th/10th, that would allow us to keep the 2nd pick...

Like I said...we are likely to do something really stupid or really smart...

I think the Lakers story out if trying to obtain another lottery pick is them sending a message to Indy saying "Slow down the Cleveland thing, we're trying to get something together".

I say offer Julius or Clarkson for a #5 - #12 pick, then take that pick, whomever of Julius/Clarkson wasn't traded, and the #28 for PG.

That'd leave us our #2, PG and the rest to develop around...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • bfc1125roy and LACAS like this

Twitter : @_PurpleReign_

Posted Image

#2074 Artest37

Artest37

Rookie

• 758 posts
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Lonzo Ball BBB!

Posted June 19, 2017 - 07:52 AM

I think PG makes LA a playoff team next season with growth from Russell, Ingram and vets like Mozgov and Deng starting. 

Possible, last year 9 was Denver (40-42) and the 8 was Portland 41-41. That'd mean a +14 or 15 win total over last year for us, not too outrageous.

Twitter : @_PurpleReign_

Posted Image

#2075 Lakersfan1211

Lakersfan1211

Legend

• 20,344 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 19, 2017 - 07:53 AM

Sources: Andre Iguodala – core part of Warriors titles – plans to seriously consider free-agent overtures elsewhere.

Zach Lowe Retweeted Shams Charania

Still think he stays in GSW, but among teams listed here, especially keep an eye on the Wolves.

Edited by Lakersfan1211, June 19, 2017 - 08:09 AM.

• MaceWindu likes this

#2076 lildvl10

lildvl10

Sixth Man

• 3,237 posts
  • Fan Since:6
  • Fav. Laker:kobe bryant

Posted June 19, 2017 - 08:07 AM

Was getting ready this morning and listening to a podcast while washing the kids...they were mentioning Clarkson/28th as the centerpiece for a PG13 trade.

What say you?

I say yes.. i firmly believe if he is traded to another and he liked the situation that he will stay there based on what was reorted yesterday. We have to take into context what was said yesterday. He said he prefers the lakers (which i think was the biggest thing here). If it wasnt reported like that then i would waited til he's a free agent, but reort changes everything

#2077 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 25,660 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted June 19, 2017 - 08:10 AM

Idk, clarkson doesn't strike me as someone that would enjoy Indiana. He really seems to enjoy the LA lifestyle. But I really dont know if these guys even live in their respected cities anymore. With all the travelling it would seem easier to just have a simple apartment in the city and your real home in LA. 

#2078 JayTheGreat

JayTheGreat

Sixth Man

• 3,321 posts

Posted June 19, 2017 - 08:38 AM

Idk, clarkson doesn't strike me as someone that would enjoy Indiana. He really seems to enjoy the LA lifestyle. But I really dont know if these guys even live in their respected cities anymore. With all the travelling it would seem easier to just have a simple apartment in the city and your real home in LA.

That's what I would do as a young player. Get a penthouse in whatever city I play for but my home will be in LA lol

#2079 JayTheGreat

JayTheGreat

Sixth Man

• 3,321 posts

Posted June 19, 2017 - 08:40 AM

I think the Lakers story out if trying to obtain another lottery pick is them sending a message to Indy saying "Slow down the Cleveland thing, we're trying to get something together".

I say offer Julius or Clarkson for a #5 - #12 pick, then take that pick, whomever of Julius/Clarkson wasn't traded, and the #28 for PG.

That'd leave us our #2, PG and the rest to develop around...

I see Magic doing this. As long as Russell and Ingram stay.
  • LACAS likes this

#2080 bigvee

bigvee

Legend

• 12,561 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted June 19, 2017 - 09:14 AM

Listening to Nate Dunan's Pod last night and I agree with what he said. If you're the Lakers, you likely don't want Paul George coming next year at all. There's a chance he actually doesn't like the lifestyle and gets to roam around in free agency.

If he comes next year, he gets to try us out for a year and see how he likes it. That's a headache for us. He could very well butt heads with someone in the organization or figure that the lifestyle isn't all that he thought it out to be.

I think more bad than good can come out of trading for him. Let other teams give us assets for him and go hard after him in the summer. If you miss out on him, he wasn't going to be the guy who put you over the edge against GSW regardless. 

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (2)