#141 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 3,406 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted February 16, 2017 - 07:47 PM

Players aren't told by ownership / management to tank.  There are ways to help the team lose games by trading players or sitting "injured" players or screwing around with rotations but no coach or GM has ever instructed a team to lose on purpose before because if they had we would have DEFINITELY heard about it by now.  You think players care if an organization keeps a draft pick?  You can't think as a fan....try to put yourself in the player's shoes.  Don't you think by now in the entire history of the league some former player would have been doing an interview and said oh yea in such and such a year this coach told us to lose on purpose so the team could keep a draft pick?  To my knowledge it's never happened.     

#142 JayTheGreat

JayTheGreat

Sixth Man

• 3,354 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted February 16, 2017 - 08:31 PM

Players aren't told by ownership / management to tank. There are ways to help the team lose games by trading players or sitting "injured" players or screwing around with rotations but no coach or GM has ever instructed a team to lose on purpose before because if they had we would have DEFINITELY heard about it by now. You think players care if an organization keeps a draft pick? You can't think as a fan....try to put yourself in the player's shoes. Don't you think by now in the entire history of the league some former player would have been doing an interview and said oh yea in such and such a year this coach told us to lose on purpose so the team could keep a draft pick? To my knowledge it's never happened.

The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence. Lol I don't think they flat out tell players to tank but I wouldn't rule it out. The same way I know for a fact Pete Rose isn't the only coach to gamble on games in the MLB.

#143 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,344 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted February 17, 2017 - 06:52 AM

I think there's a difference between admission, and evidence.

Look at the defensive end and thats all you need to know.

If you're at the bottom of league in all/or most defensive categories, that's an effort thing.

Last year the number of games the lakers lost by double digits was insane.

This season, i haven't looked at numbers closely, but when watching games and they start to resemble PRESEASON games, you just know.

Again, jmo 

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#144 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

• 3,406 posts

Posted February 17, 2017 - 08:46 AM

Teams and players quit on the season all the time it does not mean they are being instructed to do so.  It happens regardless of if a team has a pick or doesn't have a pick or has a top 3 protected pick or has 2 picks.  Players aren't dumb I'm sure they can see which way the wind is blowing but it does not mean that Luke at any point called each player into his office and gave them a wink wink speech about how the rest of the season is going to go.  Pro basketball has been around for what...70 years?  Retired players tend to air a lot of their dirty laundry via books or interviews and I've never heard a player admit to tanking or throw a former coach or team under the bus for it.  

Tanking comes from the top.  I think some of Luke's sub patterns and him not calling a time out at the end of the Kings game may very well be examples of this.  However, the line is drawn there.  At no point when Lou Williams was getting red hot in the 4th did he stop and think geez better miss these next couple shots wouldn't want us to win the game or coach might be upset.  Lou might not even be here in a week I guarantee you he doesn't give a flying fig about our draft pick.  Actually come to think of it he might lol.  The top 3 prospects this year are guards so if I was Lou I'd actually want the Lakers to lose the pick.           

Edited by lakerfan98, February 17, 2017 - 08:54 AM.

• Clutch Factor likes this

#145 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Hall Of Fame

• 9,794 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 17, 2017 - 09:59 AM

Players don't tank, the FO does. Lou Williams said it best in his tweet. Why would players lose to get a draft pick when that draft pick is most likely going to take someone's job (role on the team)? 

• lakerfan98 likes this

#146 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

• 3,406 posts

Posted February 17, 2017 - 10:04 AM

Players don't tank, the FO does. Lou Williams said it best in his tweet. Why would players lose to get a draft pick when that draft pick is most likely going to take someone's job (role on the team)? 

Ah the voice of reason.  You have been missed haha

• Clutch Factor likes this

#147 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 2,779 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted February 17, 2017 - 11:54 AM

Playing the devils advocate, its 'possible' the players have been officially informed by management and coaching staff that the teams #1 goal for this season is now to hang on to that pick and play accordingly.

And this is what the demoralizing effects of that request and effort look like to team and fans.

Just a thought from the other side of things.

Maybe they're allowed to win 5 more games under this theory

#148 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 2,779 posts

Posted February 17, 2017 - 12:00 PM

Players would "never ever" lose on purpose, careers are short and other teams are watching. You'd kill your value unless your goal is Shaqtin a fool. nanagement can control loses by line ups and trades say if Lou and Swaggy weren't here we'd have more losses.Or you start Metta with Huertas/Calderone bkcourt Ingram at the five TRob as sf that's what you do to tank

Edited by DaSmoothOperator, February 17, 2017 - 12:29 PM.

#149 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 2,779 posts

Posted February 17, 2017 - 12:33 PM

We're not tanking but we're sucking same result glad when this is over

#150 lakersince75

lakersince75

Sixth Man

• 3,136 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted February 17, 2017 - 03:30 PM

Hilarious

#151 Tensai

Tensai

Superstar

• 8,242 posts

Posted February 17, 2017 - 05:45 PM

You speak the truth when you use the plural.  He did have 2 of them.  

You are absolutely correct.

• Disaster in Paradise likes this

fXlFKv8.gif

#152 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 2,779 posts

Posted February 19, 2017 - 07:02 PM

I'm late but if they played any defense they'd be in he game, glad they didnt

0 user(s) are reading this topic