EyMlHkX.jpg

#2 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 12,696 posts
  • Fan Since:Late '80s
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 10, 2017 - 09:02 PM

watched this earlier tonight...these next 3 years are going to be incredible for marvel movies...well comic movies in general i guess if DC can get their [expletive] together

Posted Image

#3 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

dwight got traded for the ends of the white🍞& an 🍊

• 8,723 posts
  • Name:Prince George
  • Fan Since:2014
  • Fav. Laker:Blimey!

Posted February 11, 2017 - 03:30 PM

movies are still good

C36Q7RFXUAg5_LN.jpg

FACEBOOK MR TERRIFIC HD Bottom Line Is We're Gonna Win With You Or Without You And If You Don't Get That, Then It's Best You Go Somewhere Else--Dean Smith

#4 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 23,203 posts

Posted February 11, 2017 - 08:15 PM

movies are still good
C36Q7RFXUAg5_LN.jpg

They make money, just like transformers do. But they are all mediocre to crap
  • Busty Bluth likes this
Posted Image

#5 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 12,696 posts

Posted February 12, 2017 - 10:33 AM

yea, making money and being good are two different things...i'm not calling them bad movies even, just not on the level with the marvel movies.  some of those marvel movies are some of my favorite movies of all time...not in the genre, period.  i've watched all of the DC movies, and will continue to, and i enjoy them for the most part, but, and this is simply my opinion - they just haven't been as good as the marvel movies as a whole

Posted Image

#6 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

• 8,723 posts

Posted February 12, 2017 - 05:06 PM

Anybody thinking the DC films is mediocre is Delusional. Not an opinion. Just a fact16684085_1347271578649040_78722831014681

FACEBOOK MR TERRIFIC HD Bottom Line Is We're Gonna Win With You Or Without You And If You Don't Get That, Then It's Best You Go Somewhere Else--Dean Smith

#7 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 23,203 posts

Posted February 12, 2017 - 06:56 PM

You have yet to post anything remotely approaching fact. DC films have been majority poorly received and have performed financially behind marvel almost entirely. Marvel churns out billion dollar films. Only Nolans dark knight trilogy can lay claim to that because they were actually quality
  • Busty Bluth and ace™ like this
Posted Image

#8 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

• 8,723 posts

Posted February 12, 2017 - 07:20 PM

Critics are human. Critics are biased. Critics make mistakes. Most critics were wrong last November.#Factshq720.jpg

#9 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 23,203 posts

Posted February 12, 2017 - 08:22 PM

Critics are human. Critics are biased. Critics make mistakes. Most critics were wrong last November.#Factshq720.jpg

Lol you don't even use logic or appropriate reasoning, the center of your argument is literally "DC is great, everyone else is wrong, if you dislike DC you're wrong, critics are all biased because they don't like DC films, I repeat if you don't like DC you're biased or delusional or both"

Or maybe WB and DC should start producing quality films and not live in the ghost of Nolan. It's weird how the critics are wrong yet WB itself completely shifts the tone of justice league right before filming due to the response of bvs. Or how 2 of their tent pole films flash and batman have been leveled to ground zero and started from scratch. Or how they're losing directors at record pacing

But ya I guess their films are just totally misunderstood by everyone except an incredibly small percentage of people

Marvel films may be formulaic but at least they can edit competently and put together a cohesive film that doesn't take 2.5-3 hours to attempt tell a story that ends in two heroes bonding over their mothers first name totally throwing out months of angst and completely separate value systems to only Buddy up for 20 min and then have superman die only to show with some levitating rocks that he's still alive nullifying any emotional impact that may have existed

Ya. Misunderstood

Enjoy your Martha t-shirt and your poorly cut films with muddled stories begging to strike marvel gold. While me, a batman fan more than any other hero wait for WB and DC to actually start producing films of quality and substance like they did in 2005-2012 when they hired a director with considerable talent and allowed him to make the movies he wanted

Edited by last stand 2.0, February 12, 2017 - 08:25 PM.

• Busty Bluth likes this
Posted Image

#10 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

• 8,723 posts

Posted February 12, 2017 - 09:28 PM

Guess what's the #1 movie in America?

16640988_1347519735290891_41277776109935

#11 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 23,203 posts

Posted February 12, 2017 - 09:35 PM

Guess what's the #1 movie in America?
16640988_1347519735290891_41277776109935

Ya interesting. A movie not a part of the DC cinematic universe, shocking
Posted Image

#12 DTIII™

DTIII™

"I am one with the force, the force is with me."

• 5,744 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Julius, D'Angelo & Jordan

Posted February 13, 2017 - 03:19 AM

What does any of this have to do with Infinity War?

EyMlHkX.jpg

#13 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

• 8,723 posts

Posted February 13, 2017 - 11:18 AM

What does any of this have to do with Infinity War?

Jim Starlin, the man who created Thanos, hasn't been paid by Marvel yet. He was paid a big check for KGBeast in BvS, so I hope that happens soon
  • Majesty likes this

#14 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,298 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted February 13, 2017 - 03:46 PM

yea, making money and being good are two different things...i'm not calling them bad movies even, just not on the level with the marvel movies.  some of those marvel movies are some of my favorite movies of all time...not in the genre, period.  i've watched all of the DC movies, and will continue to, and i enjoy them for the most part, but, and this is simply my opinion - they just haven't been as good as the marvel movies as a whole

To me the Marvel movies have become so simplistic, toned down, and different from their comic counterparts that I've gotten out before they lost their form. 

Their peak was Winter Soldier, but they went backwards in Age of Ultron, and then character assassinated Captain America in Civil War.  But at this point MarvelDisney has enough of their target audience locked that they don't have to care about staying true to the source material or even staying true to the characters cause they won't get criticized for it.  

They've gone so far as to give Miles Morales's storyline to Peter Parker and even give Peter Miles best friend, story, school and situation.   

After the Homecoming Trailer, I was essentially done.  

GOTG2 looks fun though.  But I'm not spending to go see each film anymore, nor do I have the same excitement for them.  They're at the point where it's gonna get real simplistic real fast and I'd rather remember how great Winter Soldier is than watch how the further along it goes the less they care about staying true to any kind of source material and are essentially just making [expletive] up now cause they won't be criticized.    

All that's gonna get bigger is the 'spectacle', but the strong storytelling ended with Winter Soldier. 

Edited by Majesty, February 13, 2017 - 03:48 PM.

• Mr Terrific and     like this

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#15 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 23,203 posts

Posted February 13, 2017 - 08:35 PM

I don't see them as becoming simplistic. I see it as some movies are better than others. GOTG and winter soldier are the gems of the marvel slate. Iron man 1 being up there as well

I think the way marvel has organized its universe strangely has caused the appearance of filler episodes. Movies that are essentially there to simply add something to the overall story arc

For example civil war. Kevin feige himself said was made to break the avengers apart for infinity war. Basically a set up film. Which I personally liked did not love the movie but it had moments

Again I've said it before but movies are adaptations. They aren't carbon copies. Movies are a totally different medium than comics and things don't always translate. Not to mention marvel studios have their own story arc in place and are not going to disregard that to simply adhere to source material which btw takes no creativity. Anyone can just recreate something. Very few can create something

Just like a new author takes existing comic book characters and creates their own story arc, changes the characters, takes them in different directions, sometimes changes origin stories

Or how artists change the look of the characters

Film makers, producers and screen writers change characters and story arcs to fit their vision. If you don't like it fine. But I'd rather people attempt to create their vision than simply transfer page to screen a la Snyder and watchmen which was Snyder throwing creativity out of the window and simply recreating the art someone else created. As opposed to creating his own vision and telling the story his own way
  • Busty Bluth likes this
Posted Image

#16 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 26,867 posts
  • Name:Byron "Buster AKA Busty" Bluth

Posted February 14, 2017 - 10:00 AM

I don't see them as becoming simplistic. I see it as some movies are better than others. GOTG and winter soldier are the gems of the marvel slate. Iron man 1 being up there as well

I think the way marvel has organized its universe strangely has caused the appearance of filler episodes. Movies that are essentially there to simply add something to the overall story arc

For example civil war. Kevin feige himself said was made to break the avengers apart for infinity war. Basically a set up film. Which I personally liked did not love the movie but it had moments

Again I've said it before but movies are adaptations. They aren't carbon copies. Movies are a totally different medium than comics and things don't always translate. Not to mention marvel studios have their own story arc in place and are not going to disregard that to simply adhere to source material which btw takes no creativity. Anyone can just recreate something. Very few can create something

Just like a new author takes existing comic book characters and creates their own story arc, changes the characters, takes them in different directions, sometimes changes origin stories

Or how artists change the look of the characters

Film makers, producers and screen writers change characters and story arcs to fit their vision. If you don't like it fine. But I'd rather people attempt to create their vision than simply transfer page to screen a la Snyder and watchmen which was Snyder throwing creativity out of the window and simply recreating the art someone else created. As opposed to creating his own vision and telling the story his own way

Couldn't agree more and Watchmen was a perfect example.

Buster_bcfa40_2218659_zpsbf0d8a7a.gif

#17 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 12,696 posts

Posted February 14, 2017 - 03:59 PM

yea, i don't have an issue with them deviating from the source material, doesn't bother me really at all as long as i continue to find the movies entertaining.  if you look at the millions of people watching these movies, the percentage of people who are familiar enough with the source material to the point that they recognize major changes is probably pretty small. and the percentage of those people who are bothered by the fact that they're not following everything exactly is smaller.  

it's my understanding (and that could be incorrect) that dr. strange, ant man, and guardians of the galaxy, deviated from the comics...i very much enjoyed all 3 and think they're pretty well regarded in the MCU...do those movies get a pass for changing things just because people are generally less familiar with the characters and their stories?  did you dislike them?

it's all personal opinion at the end of the day, people will like what they like for their own reasons, no one is wrong or right

anyway, let's get back on topic

Posted Image

#18 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,298 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted February 14, 2017 - 05:07 PM

yea, i don't have an issue with them deviating from the source material, doesn't bother me really at all as long as i continue to find the movies entertaining.  if you look at the millions of people watching these movies, the percentage of people who are familiar enough with the source material to the point that they recognize major changes is probably pretty small. and the percentage of those people who are bothered by the fact that they're not following everything exactly is smaller.  

it's my understanding (and that could be incorrect) that dr. strange, ant man, and guardians of the galaxy, deviated from the comics...i very much enjoyed all 3 and think they're pretty well regarded in the MCU...do those movies get a pass for changing things just because people are generally less familiar with the characters and their stories?  did you dislike them?

it's all personal opinion at the end of the day, people will like what they like for their own reasons, no one is wrong or right

anyway, let's get back on topic

I disliked them because they were deviations from the characters to an obvious extent. 

I don't mind them changing stuff in the characters cause updates always happen.  But changing the entire personality of a character who's personality is established in their own universe? 

I don't even have to argue that the Captain America as was established in the comics would EVER do what Captain America did in Winter Soldier, nor act the way he did. 

I can go by the Captain America of the MCU himself. 

Remember, Steve Rogers threw himself on a grenade and that was enough to show them that he was worthy of being Captain America.  

Even in The Avengers, his speech with Tony Stark

" I know guys with none of that worth ten of you. I've seen the footage. The only thing you really fight for is yourself. You're not the guy to make the sacrifice play, to lay down on a wire and let the other guy crawl over you. Always a way out... You know, you may not be a threat, but you better stop pretending to be a hero." 

I'm supposed to believe THAT GUY... is the same guy that did what he did in Civil War?  For Bucky?    Not consistent, and lazy storytelling.   It's the "we'll make him act out of the character we've established cause we want to tell the story this way instead." storytelling, that I loathe and I hate. They did it to create conflict that wouldn't have happened as they had already established the characters. As if the mutant registration act wasn't ENOUGH of a reason, they decided to make it all about Cap/Bucky instead. So the main crux of the entire Civil War.. becomes a meaningless plot point pushed to the back for Stucky.  Why? They followed the money with the fan shipping.  Same happened with Hulk and Black Widow cause an adult video went viral and it turned into a ship.  But here's my problem with it..

"Does it make sense in what we've already established? Who cares! it will make money." that is what happened with Hulk and Widow, and now is happening with Cap and Bucky.   I don't even mind following the fan shipping, but at least write a story that makes sense.  Are we given any kind of reason or history or storytelling as to why The Hulk and Widow are in love?  Nope.. just are.. accept it.  Are we given any reason why Cap is suddenly a 180 and is willing to just let the Avengers die and betray EVERYTHING he preached and believed in for Bucky?  Nope.. just does.. accept it.. oh wait um... "He's my best friend." that's enough....  I'm sorry... it wasn't. 

You can say "Yeah but he was different by the time Civil War rolled around." 

You can say that.. however that isn't true either, as in Age of Ultron he gave Tony THIS speech

"Every time someone tries to win a war before it starts, innocent people die. Every time."

THIS... sets up the perfect reasoning why Civil War would happen, because he's against the mutant registration act, and he sees it as 'trying to win a war before it starts' which would be in line with the comics, as they'd built him, even through Winter Soldier they stayed true to him in this aspect. 

But by the time Civil War rolled around, the "registration act" was a mcguffin that wasn't worth a darn thing, there was no speech about why, there was no glorious moment, there was no 'rooftop Spider-Man scene'.   All we got was Cap doing everything he could to protect Bucky, even to the extent of keeping the secret that he killed Tony's parents from him.  Which he then admitted after the movie he did intentionally for himself.   

Really... 

And then writes Tony a letter like it's supposed to be all okay at the end?  "If you need us we'll be there, the real avengers" crap?  No... Captain America essentially let the Avengers die for Bucky.   

First of all..

Captain America would NEVER do this... 

Second of all..

Captain America AS ESTABLISHED IN THE LAST FREAKING FILM WE SAW HIM IN.. WOULD NEVER DO THIS.... 

This is the kind of storytelling the MCU has went with since Winter Soldier, and that is why I said the great storytelling disappeared since that point and their movies have only increased in spectacle. 

But some people are going to raise Holy Hell about Batman killing people in BvS but aren't gonna raise a stink about Captain America letting the Avengers die just to save Bucky?  

They raised holy hell about the THOUGHT that the DCEU may combine Jason Todd and Tim Drake in the DCEU as one Robin's fate but have no issue with Marvel straight up taking Miles Morales storyline and copy/pasting it on Peter Parker for Homecoming?  

Like I said, it's not even the the hypocritical nature of those things.  

But if I was just to watch the movies, in sequence, and the rules THEY set in their own universe and the characters THEY define in theirs.  For Captain America to be a complete 180 from where and who he's established to be just one movie prior, then it's going to irk me and take me out of the universe because it becomes obvious they are just plugging in story wherever they want and aren't just neglecting the consistency to character of their comics incarnation but THEIR OWN CONSISTENCY to character incarnation and personality aspects.

And I can't just sit back and go "was I entertained" if they are gonna keep doing that with the characters and have no continuity in their own characters.   At this point "who cares what we established before. We wanna tell a story this way so this guy who is noble is now suddenly selfish and an a-hole, and this guy who was once selfish and an a-hole a movie ago is now the noble one."  and I can't get behind that kind of storytelling.  As a writer and someone whom is striving to be a screenwriter and an author I can not ignore that and I cannot applaud it and most importantly, I can't financially support it, because it would mean that I want to keep seeing it.  I don't. I hate it.   

I can be entertained by Guardians of the Galaxy, and even Doctor Strange because they're creating their rules as we speak.   But I can't nor will I cheer the lazy screenwriting like I've seen as of late from the main movie already established worlds and characters. It's gotten to the point where they can change their own continuance and no one will bat an eye, so it will continue to go on and on, which is why I got out before it got worse.   Civil War was nearly the last straw for me, and that Homecoming trailer where they copy/pasted Miles Morales' storyline and put it on Peter despite the fact they had Spectacular Spider-Man and even Ultimate as a blueprint that hadn't been tried in Live Action and I was done.  

But, I can always go back and enjoy Winter Soldier. Which is still the best film they made, and 3 years ago, their last great one. 

But yes, to get back on topic of the thread. 

I am sure Infinity War will make a lot of money. 

Edited by Majesty, February 14, 2017 - 05:19 PM.

• Mr Terrific likes this

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#19 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

• 8,723 posts

Posted February 14, 2017 - 06:50 PM

Infinity War in a nutshell:

1)Thanos will be very funny

2) No major characters will die

3) No supporting characters will die

4) Thanos will be very funny

I liked Civil War btw. Not as good as BvS, but entertaining. I know at this point Marvel isn't trying to rival Blade Runner or anything

a673X12_700b.jpg

#20 JayTheGreat

JayTheGreat

Sixth Man

• 3,301 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted February 14, 2017 - 08:04 PM

I disliked them because they were deviations from the characters to an obvious extent.

I don't mind them changing stuff in the characters cause updates always happen. But changing the entire personality of a character who's personality is established in their own universe?

I don't even have to argue that the Captain America as was established in the comics would EVER do what Captain America did in Winter Soldier, nor act the way he did.

I can go by the Captain America of the MCU himself.

Remember, Steve Rogers threw himself on a grenade and that was enough to show them that he was worthy of being Captain America.

Even in The Avengers, his speech with Tony Stark

" I know guys with none of that worth ten of you. I've seen the footage. The only thing you really fight for is yourself. You're not the guy to make the sacrifice play, to lay down on a wire and let the other guy crawl over you. Always a way out... You know, you may not be a threat, but you better stop pretending to be a hero."

I'm supposed to believe THAT GUY... is the same guy that did what he did in Civil War? For Bucky? Not consistent, and lazy storytelling. It's the "we'll make him act out of the character we've established cause we want to tell the story this way instead." storytelling, that I loathe and I hate. They did it to create conflict that wouldn't have happened as they had already established the characters. As if the mutant registration act wasn't ENOUGH of a reason, they decided to make it all about Cap/Bucky instead. So the main crux of the entire Civil War.. becomes a meaningless plot point pushed to the back for Stucky. Why? They followed the money with the fan shipping. Same happened with Hulk and Black Widow cause an adult video went viral and it turned into a ship. But here's my problem with it..

"Does it make sense in what we've already established? Who cares! it will make money." that is what happened with Hulk and Widow, and now is happening with Cap and Bucky. I don't even mind following the fan shipping, but at least write a story that makes sense. Are we given any kind of reason or history or storytelling as to why The Hulk and Widow are in love? Nope.. just are.. accept it. Are we given any reason why Cap is suddenly a 180 and is willing to just let the Avengers die and betray EVERYTHING he preached and believed in for Bucky? Nope.. just does.. accept it.. oh wait um... "He's my best friend." that's enough.... I'm sorry... it wasn't.

You can say "Yeah but he was different by the time Civil War rolled around."

You can say that.. however that isn't true either, as in Age of Ultron he gave Tony THIS speech

"Every time someone tries to win a war before it starts, innocent people die. Every time."

THIS... sets up the perfect reasoning why Civil War would happen, because he's against the mutant registration act, and he sees it as 'trying to win a war before it starts' which would be in line with the comics, as they'd built him, even through Winter Soldier they stayed true to him in this aspect.
But by the time Civil War rolled around, the "registration act" was a mcguffin that wasn't worth a darn thing, there was no speech about why, there was no glorious moment, there was no 'rooftop Spider-Man scene'. All we got was Cap doing everything he could to protect Bucky, even to the extent of keeping the secret that he killed Tony's parents from him. Which he then admitted after the movie he did intentionally for himself.

Really...

And then writes Tony a letter like it's supposed to be all okay at the end? "If you need us we'll be there, the real avengers" crap? No... Captain America essentially let the Avengers die for Bucky.

First of all..

Captain America would NEVER do this...

Second of all..

Captain America AS ESTABLISHED IN THE LAST FREAKING FILM WE SAW HIM IN.. WOULD NEVER DO THIS....

This is the kind of storytelling the MCU has went with since Winter Soldier, and that is why I said the great storytelling disappeared since that point and their movies have only increased in spectacle.

But some people are going to raise Holy Hell about Batman killing people in BvS but aren't gonna raise a stink about Captain America letting the Avengers die just to save Bucky?

They raised holy hell about the THOUGHT that the DCEU may combine Jason Todd and Tim Drake in the DCEU as one Robin's fate but have no issue with Marvel straight up taking Miles Morales storyline and copy/pasting it on Peter Parker for Homecoming?

Like I said, it's not even the the hypocritical nature of those things.

But if I was just to watch the movies, in sequence, and the rules THEY set in their own universe and the characters THEY define in theirs. For Captain America to be a complete 180 from where and who he's established to be just one movie prior, then it's going to irk me and take me out of the universe because it becomes obvious they are just plugging in story wherever they want and aren't just neglecting the consistency to character of their comics incarnation but THEIR OWN CONSISTENCY to character incarnation and personality aspects.

And I can't just sit back and go "was I entertained" if they are gonna keep doing that with the characters and have no continuity in their own characters. At this point "who cares what we established before. We wanna tell a story this way so this guy who is noble is now suddenly selfish and an a-hole, and this guy who was once selfish and an a-hole a movie ago is now the noble one." and I can't get behind that kind of storytelling. As a writer and someone whom is striving to be a screenwriter and an author I can not ignore that and I cannot applaud it and most importantly, I can't financially support it, because it would mean that I want to keep seeing it. I don't. I hate it.

I can be entertained by Guardians of the Galaxy, and even Doctor Strange because they're creating their rules as we speak. But I can't nor will I cheer the lazy screenwriting like I've seen as of late from the main movie already established worlds and characters. It's gotten to the point where they can change their own continuance and no one will bat an eye, so it will continue to go on and on, which is why I got out before it got worse. Civil War was nearly the last straw for me, and that Homecoming trailer where they copy/pasted Miles Morales' storyline and put it on Peter despite the fact they had Spectacular Spider-Man and even Ultimate as a blueprint that hadn't been tried in Live Action and I was done.

But, I can always go back and enjoy Winter Soldier. Which is still the best film they made, and 3 years ago, their last great one.

But yes, to get back on topic of the thread.

I am sure Infinity War will make a lot of money.

Captain America civil war was amazing to me. I like what Captain America did. They way the story played out fit perfectly. Cap was always just a super soldier who liked fighting problems and stood by what he believed in. Stark is the Richie Rich one who would tear them apart over something stupid. I get why Cap did what he did for Bucky. That's his best friend and literally the only person he knows from his regular previous life. I was glad Black Panther gave Cap and his team asylum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users