Photo

Jerry West possibly intrigued by return to Lakers this Summer

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,370 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted February 07, 2017 - 04:21 PM

987f12df4b64efdba9c0ab6713d571ee_crop_ex

Executive board member Jerry West’s most recent contract with the Warriors is scheduled to expire this July, and as of yet there have been no serious discussions with owner Joe Lacob about an extension, both men told me recently. 

Multiple sources indicated to me that West might be intrigued by an offer from the Lakers, but he also feels very connected to the Warriors’ quest for championships. 

West, one of the greatest executives of all-time from his Lakers and Memphis days, has been a vital part of the Warriors’ turn-around since joining the franchise in May 2011 as an executive board member and key front-office voice. 

He championed the selection of Klay Thompson in 2011, for instance, was one of the strongest voices arguing against even considering trading Thompson for Kevin Love in 2014, and held a key phone conversation with Kevin Durant in the hours before Durant decided to leave the Thunder to sign with the Warriors last summer. 
http://www.mercuryne...d-works-for-us/

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#2 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 17,126 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted February 07, 2017 - 04:22 PM

Lol.

#3 JayTheGreat

JayTheGreat

Sixth Man

• 3,469 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted February 07, 2017 - 04:38 PM

I heard about this. Im all for it. Give Jerry whatever he wants.
  • GCMD likes this

#4 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 17,126 posts

Posted February 07, 2017 - 04:41 PM

Why?

He is overrated AF

#5 Ventiquattro

Ventiquattro

All-Star

• 6,572 posts

Posted February 07, 2017 - 04:44 PM

Yeah some fans probably overvalue him but he's done a good job over the years. Based on other NBA heads he's not overrated.

#6 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 17,126 posts

Posted February 07, 2017 - 04:58 PM

He is. If hecreplaces our current regime

#7 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,370 posts

Posted February 07, 2017 - 05:04 PM

He is. If hecreplaces our current regime

Doubt he would. He's not in Golden State, he wouldn't here. 

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#8 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,707 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted February 07, 2017 - 05:13 PM

I won't go that far but the idea that everything he does is gold that some Lakers fan seem to believe is not bound in reality.  

Lakers fans keep clinging to the old days.  

Why?

He is overrated AF

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#9 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 8,004 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted February 07, 2017 - 05:33 PM

Strange there hasn't been an extension given him.

But i can also see Jerry pretty content about what he 'helped' build in GS that should last 5 more years at least.  Their GM still deserves the lions share of the credit imo.

I can also see the lakers as presenting him with a formidable challenge that he may or may not end up wanting to tackle.

but dude is competitive. Its just that he's had so many health issues over the years, and just recently fell and i think needed hospitalization or something.

Plus spokesman for that diabetes drug so he's got that.

Might be time to golf more, worry less?

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#10 Tensai

Tensai

Hall Of Fame

• 8,896 posts

Posted February 07, 2017 - 06:09 PM

Return to Lakers in which position? Advisor?

fXlFKv8.gif

#11 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,370 posts

Posted February 07, 2017 - 06:11 PM

Return to Lakers in which position? Advisor?

I'd assume it would be similar to what he does in Golden State. 

• The Big Fish likes this

#12 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,370 posts

Posted February 07, 2017 - 06:12 PM

#13 The Big Fish

The Big Fish

AKA Michael Knight

• 6,351 posts
  • Name:Travis
  • Fan Since:My dad showed me "showtime".
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe to Shaq.

Posted February 07, 2017 - 06:47 PM

We certainly can use his help and whoever else is willing and has a proven record. Hopefully that would also prompt his son taking the reigns as GM. 

REST IN PARADISE, Queen Fefe

I love you Ma!

October 26th, 2013

#14 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,370 posts

Posted February 07, 2017 - 07:09 PM

We certainly can use his help and whoever else is willing and has a proven record. Hopefully that would also prompt his son taking the reigns as GM. 

That's the plan once Mitch retires.  

Sacramento already offered Ryan a GM job, but he stayed here and thank goodness he did. 

Edited by Majesty, February 07, 2017 - 07:10 PM.

• The Big Fish likes this

#15 kray28

kray28

Sixth Man

• 3,005 posts
  • Fan Since:1988
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 08, 2017 - 06:21 AM

If Jim and Mitch are indeed out of the door, promote Ryan to GM with Jerry in a consultant role?

• UKUGA likes this

livin' in a river of darkness beneath the neon lights

pkray.png

#16 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 24,198 posts

Posted February 08, 2017 - 11:00 AM

I see no negative in it. I doubt Jim is out. Don't see it. I could see his role being diminished and west and magic kind of taking over his side of things with Mitch staying on and increasing Ryan's role

I see that as the likeliest scenario. I think west will want to return for his son more than anything and to kind of close out his career with the lakers
  • FranklinPeanuts likes this
Posted Image

#17 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Starter

• 5,195 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted February 08, 2017 - 11:14 AM

The logo back in LA? Yea I am down for that. I do not think he will turn this ship around out of no where, but we could use the help. He is not gonna be getting the keys to the whole franchise though to run things and probably just be an adviser which is more than appropriate. 

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#18 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 8,004 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted February 08, 2017 - 06:34 PM

Honestly, I don't see him undercutting his longtime friend Mitch like that by returning...let alone squash the advancement of his own son.

Maybe he takes a special advisor role though.

Would certainly be a couple of big free agent acquisitions! (magic and logo)   :D

Edited by kball, February 08, 2017 - 06:35 PM.

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#19 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 11,478 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted February 08, 2017 - 07:49 PM

On would love to have him. To play the fence.... he is 78, did not leave on good terms with the Lakers, you never want to backwards to replicate the pass.

But

Everywhere he has gone, Lakers, Memphis and now GS, he has helped turn the program into a winning situation. Why wouldn't you want to go backwards if it could get the program winning again.

#20 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,827 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 08, 2017 - 09:59 PM

YES

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users