Photo

Looking back at 2014 and Isaiah Thomas

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 10,443 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted February 02, 2017 - 12:52 PM

Do you feel this is the [expletive] up of the decade for the Lakers? I know hindsight is important to factor here, but with Isaiah Thomas emerging as a superstar and willing his team to victories, how do you feel about the Lakers passing up on signing him?

Sure people say that if we got Isaiah Thomas we wouldn't have gotten DLo and Ingram.. but who knows if those two will ever become as good as Thomas.

#2 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 8,605 posts

Posted February 02, 2017 - 01:08 PM

For everything Thomas gives you on offense, he gives it right back up on D. He's simply too small to have any legit impact on that end and that will forever be a large criticism of his game. He's statistically one of the worst defenders at the position.

All things considered, I'm comfortable with Russell moving forward. It's no coincidence he's blossoming in Boston, that situation is perfect for him and it's unlikely you can recreate it elsewhere. I think people need to understand that.
  • GCMD and bfc1125roy like this

#3 KidRN

KidRN

Hall Of Fame

• 8,600 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted February 02, 2017 - 01:13 PM

For everything Thomas gives you on offense, he gives it right back up on D.

I don't agree with this. If you put a legit rim protector at the 5 and a lockdown defender at the 2/3 you're gonna be fine. He's so good offensively that it's worth making it work.

The PG position is unstoppable either way. He's not stopping Westbrook, Curry, Kyrie, Lillard, Wall etc regardless of his size. From what I've seen, he helps Boston WAY more than he hurts them.

I don't look back and wish we signed him or anything. Besides a team lead by him isn't beating Cleveland.

Edited by kidpolean, February 02, 2017 - 01:15 PM.

#4 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 8,605 posts

Posted February 02, 2017 - 01:32 PM

I'm exaggerating a bit, but I actually agree with that to an extent, which is why I stated it's no coincidence he's doing this in Boston. Bradley is a lockdown defender and Crowder is above average, which allows them to mask some of his deficiencies. Most other places you simply can't do that which relegates him to a bench piece.

#5 KidRN

KidRN

Hall Of Fame

• 8,600 posts

Posted February 02, 2017 - 01:35 PM

I'm exaggerating a bit, but I actually agree with that to an extent, which is why I stated it's no coincidence he's doing this in Boston. Bradley is a lockdown defender and Crowder is above average, which allows them to mask some of his deficiencies. Most other places you simply can't do that which relegates him to a bench piece.

That depends. His offense is such a plus that I think he'd still start pretty much anywhere he goes. The team will struggle though.

#6 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,890 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted February 02, 2017 - 01:56 PM

He ranks as the worst defender in the league.

Russell and Ingram are 19 and 20. In 5 years, Thomas will be a ringless liability, and they'll be entering their prime

#7 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,382 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted February 02, 2017 - 02:19 PM

He would have played under Byron for 2 years had we signed him and never looked this good...however, the reasoning behind why we didn't offer him a deal still annoys me.  They were chasing Melo and now he's not even better than 3-4 guys they barely paid attention to that offseason. 

• kball likes this

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#8 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

Superstar

• 7,265 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted February 02, 2017 - 02:32 PM

I'm with Jodie.  I'm not mad that we missed out on him, I'm just upset that the FO didn't even throw him an offer considering how much interest he had expressed in potentially joining and at such a cheap rate (Thomas is a huge Laker and Kobe fan incase some didn't know).

On the other hand, he isn't a player that you build around.  He's more so a missing piece that you acquire in order to solidify your squad.  Despite the amazing scorer that he is, I see him being the 3rd best player on a championship contender in todays era.  Either way, I'm happy for the guy, just wish he wasn't wearing that Celtic Green haha.

Edited by LakeShow1o1, February 02, 2017 - 02:32 PM.

#9 KidRN

KidRN

Hall Of Fame

• 8,600 posts

Posted February 02, 2017 - 02:57 PM

He ranks as the worst defender in the league.
Russell and Ingram are 19 and 20. In 5 years, Thomas will be a ringless liability, and they'll be entering their prime

Thomas will be ringless for the same reason that the majority of the league will be...GS and Cleveland!

Can you provide a link to any stat that suggest that he is the worst defensive player in the NBA? I know he is really bad but I don think that this is correct.

What did this have to do with Russell and Ingram?

#10 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 10,443 posts

Posted February 02, 2017 - 03:18 PM

As long as Isaiah Thomas keeps it up, he is essentially this generations Iverson - just not as flashy.

Iverson was able to lead a piss poor Philly team to the finals and managed to beat Kobe and Shaq once in the finals. He also kept Philly in contention for a while and they were competitive with him and I'm pretty sure he could've won a ring if his head was on correctly.

#11 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,890 posts

Posted February 02, 2017 - 03:48 PM

Iverson vs Thomas?

You mean the Pistons version right?

#12 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,890 posts

Posted February 02, 2017 - 03:51 PM

http://hardwoodhoudi...-major-problem/

#13 erfolk

erfolk

Sixth Man

• 3,087 posts
  • Name:Lewis
  • Fan Since:Birth:10-31-86
  • Fav. Laker:All Bout The Name On The Front

Posted February 02, 2017 - 03:51 PM

Iverson vs Thomas?

You mean the Pistons version right?

At the same age there numbers are almost the same

#14 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,890 posts

Posted February 02, 2017 - 03:55 PM

https://www.google.c...ropcs-us#amph=1

#15 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,890 posts

Posted February 02, 2017 - 03:56 PM

Number 1 pick. ROY.
Foh

#16 JayTheGreat

JayTheGreat

Sixth Man

• 3,384 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted February 02, 2017 - 03:57 PM

As long as Isaiah Thomas keeps it up, he is essentially this generations Iverson - just not as flashy.

Iverson was able to lead a piss poor Philly team to the finals and managed to beat Kobe and Shaq once in the finals. He also kept Philly in contention for a while and they were competitive with him and I'm pretty sure he could've won a ring if his head was on correctly.

I wouldn't go that far. Iverson was something else. It can't be described. Him and Jason Williams (White Chocolate) had some of the best handles ever seen. Besides Tim Hardaway.

#17 stillshining

stillshining

Off The Bench

• 2,015 posts
  • Name:Adam
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:Slava Medvedenko

Posted February 02, 2017 - 05:59 PM

I think people try too hard to point out holes in players when trying to explain why we don't need them. Everyone has flaws so you take the good with the bad and see how you can adjust to it. I deff agree that he needs certain adjustments from the coach to maximize his talents and hide his weaknesses but really how many players are worth all that trouble? Then how many players repay those adjustments by carrying the team to the second best record in the conference?

I just believe that his ability to carry an offense outweighs his inability to play defense by a mile. Let's not forget the last two champions won with amazing offensive talents that are not lauded for their defense at all in Irving and Curry. Not comparing them at all but just saying it's easier to compensate for a bad perimeter defender than finding a talent to run your offense through
  • GCMD, pkflyers, lakersince75 and 4 others like this

#18 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 10,443 posts

Posted February 02, 2017 - 06:34 PM

I think people try too hard to point out holes in players when trying to explain why we don't need them. Everyone has flaws so you take the good with the bad and see how you can adjust to it. I deff agree that he needs certain adjustments from the coach to maximize his talents and hide his weaknesses but really how many players are worth all that trouble? Then how many players repay those adjustments by carrying the team to the second best record in the conference?

I just believe that his ability to carry an offense outweighs his inability to play defense by a mile. Let's not forget the last two champions won with amazing offensive talents that are not lauded for their defense at all in Irving and Curry. Not comparing them at all but just saying it's easier to compensate for a bad perimeter defender than finding a talent to run your offense through

Leonardo-DiCaprio-Clap.gif

• stillshining likes this

#19 The Big Fish

The Big Fish

AKA Michael Knight

• 6,351 posts
  • Name:Travis
  • Fan Since:My dad showed me "showtime".
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe to Shaq.

Posted February 02, 2017 - 07:10 PM

I was pissed we didn't sign him and am pissed every time I see him have a big night in that Green jersey. We need good players that actually want to play here for a reason other than money. We are not in a position anymore to be picky or snub our noses at anyone. Another player I felt we should have signed was Kent (when he first left). That elite player isn't coming. When you have the opportunity to sign players who can potentially be very good players and whom compete hard every night you have to go after them. I'm happy for IT and was disappointed too since he really wanted to play here. Name a guy lately that has expressed a sincere public passion to play here? Whoever didn't pull the trigger on that dropped the ball even if Isaiah was only a Lou Williams type off the bench. Also, whoever mentioned defense give me a break lol. Name our "great" defender? I'll take his heart and energy on offense anytime. His defensive weaknesses only exist because of his size, not effort. 

Edited by The Big Fish, February 02, 2017 - 07:13 PM.

REST IN PARADISE, Queen Fefe

I love you Ma!

October 26th, 2013

#20 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 13,388 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted February 02, 2017 - 09:22 PM

tumblr_inline_ofchrytCRx1rd4349_500.gif

• stillshining likes this

tenor.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users