Photo

Lakers Name Earvin "Magic" Johnson President Of Basketball Operations (Mitch Fired)

• Please log in to reply
765 replies to this topic

#761 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,578 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 01, 2017 - 06:05 PM

The mastermind behind Ryan Kelly & Robert Sacre.

Read the Kevin Ding article around the time of Jim Buss's firing. It discusses how Jim Buss's Bynum-like fascination with Sacre was what lead us to keeping him for so long, and missing out on other key players. 

If Jim Buss' faith in the skilled Bynum is one thing, his fixation on Robert Sacre, another of his hand-picked players, is something else entirely.

Around the NBA, the Lakers' commitment to Sacre, who stayed with the team four full seasons (2012-16), became a running joke. Internally, Sacre's presence on the Lakers roster and the team's payroll created an obstacle to several minor moves that could've paid off big for the team.

The most glaring one: passing on Hassan Whiteside.

As the Lakers were filling out a training-camp roster in September 2014 after their latest free-agency failures, Whiteside took part in a group workout in front of management and new coach Byron Scott. Whiteside did very well, according to league sources.

However, Buss' beloved Sacre making the team and filling a reserve center slot was, same as every other year, even more certain than the earth being round. Therefore, there was little reason to even invite Whiteside to camp.

acre's salary had already been an impediment that offseason to the Lakers retaining Kent Bazemore, as the club needed to preserve every dollar for its failed dream of signing both LeBron James and Carmelo Anthony for less than max money.

The burden of Sacre had even carried over to the Lakers' summer-league team the year before, with Dan D'Antoni remarking at one point while coaching that team: "Gotta play Sacre! I don't want to get fired."

Whiteside wound up with Pat Riley's Miami Heat that season and averaged 11.8 points, 10 rebounds and 2.6 blocks in just 23.8 minutes per game. He became the league's leading shot-blocker the next season at 3.7. He re-signed with Miami before this season on a max contract for four years, $98 million.

Sacre's Lakers contract having expired, he got a training-camp invite from his hometown New Orleans Pelicans this season and was cut after one preseason game. He joined a team in Japan last month.

http://bleacherrepor...d-mitch-kupchak

#762 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Do you wanna tickle my big ol' long toes?

• 11,536 posts

Posted March 01, 2017 - 07:47 PM

Damn, shout out to Dan D'antoni; hopefully he's doing okay.

I like to dip my feet in toilet water & smell them.

#763 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 3,372 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 03, 2017 - 10:09 AM

If you want to take the Ding article with a grain of salt or a mountain does it really matter anymore?  The past is the past.  

• GCMD likes this

#764 JayTheGreat

JayTheGreat

Sixth Man

• 3,327 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted March 03, 2017 - 01:46 PM

Jeanie Buss Blocks Brothers' Attempt to Oust Her (via https://br.app.link/get-the-app ) http://teamstre.am/2mnoRRC

Jeanie is really bugging. This is making it seem like our front office is dysfunctional as [expletive].

#765 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,159 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 03, 2017 - 01:48 PM

Yea b/c Jeannie is dying to have HIV

who else thinks jeanie and magic will have an affair ? :rolleyes:

• Rekal likes this

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#766 lakersince75

lakersince75

Sixth Man

• 3,123 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted March 03, 2017 - 02:46 PM

Lou Williams, one of the greatest scoring threats off the bench in the league would have netted us a 1st round pick regardless.  That move was bound to happen.

What was unnecessary is the Lakers are essentially paying $8 million for the next two years for Corey Brewer to play a tad bit of defense that won't make a difference and brick every single open corner 3 he gets.  That $8 million could have easily been allocated towards a more serviceable player in free agency this summer.  The Ennis for Huertas deal is achieves nothing, we could have easily waived Huertas considering he makes chump change, and Calderon was an expiring contract so waiving him was simply done to let him sign with a contender, it didn't improve our team in any regard.

I'm not accustomed to having foreign objects penetrating my anus, but you seem bring up this concept in many of your posts so I'll add two and two together and assume you're familiar with the odd sensation.

We gave Moz and Deng their contracts and you're worried about Brewer??  LMAO

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)