Photo

Lakers Name Earvin "Magic" Johnson President Of Basketball Operations (Mitch Fired)

• Please log in to reply
749 replies to this topic

#741 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 6,943 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted February 24, 2017 - 06:13 AM

Watching Jeanie and Magic talking on Spectrum yesterday, it was weird that Jeanie described the beginning of the whole thing as her break up with Phil. Anybody else felt the same way?

As much as I've followed this team throughout my life, I had somehow never heard this story about her being at the Forum when Magic was introduced in 1979, and that they have been close friends ever since.

It sounded a bit uncomfortable, given what we know about Dr. Buss, and Magic, and to a lesser extent, Jeannie.  

Of course, I believe this is Ramona who is bringing this part of the story up.  And Ramona loves to cover those "softer", more "intimate" angles.

It's entirely possible that nobody really cared before, and that Ramona wanted to take this piece and run with up to help concoct her "6' 9" bronze shield" theory.

The ignore feature is a healthy alternative to feeding trolls. 

#742 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 6,051 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted February 24, 2017 - 06:57 AM

Haven't read the ramona story.

But in a way i feel for Jeanies predicament. In last four years shes

Lost her father

Given task of running lakers

Superstar injury decimating franchise

Ended her long term romance/relationship with a mythic figure in coaching/basketball

Organized a coup against her brother

Who her father's dying wish was having him run the basketball operations

And had to pitt brothers and sisters against each other for what we 'hope' is the good of the franchise.

She lost all her support system basically and found herself alone (except for maybe Ding)

And she's tasked with overseeing what is really one of the crown jewels in all of california (not counting all the outdoor beauty/landmark highly visited places)

Hate how all this went down and we can argue about it forever.

But its done and we need to get used to it.

And for sure we have many more losses to look forward to this season as thats the plan for now.

Unhappy players. Unhappy fans. Unsure staff. Uneasy transition

Edited by kball, February 24, 2017 - 06:58 AM.

• lakerfan98 likes this

Praying for  1. Youngsters Ballin (Hockey stick growth curve for Randle, D'lo, Nance and Clarkson ASAP) 2. Miracle Trade (Lakers need a top 10 player...or maybe 2 to compete w bigboys) 3. Kick Ass Rooks (Ingram and Zubac getting playing time and impacting games)

READY FOR SEASON!

#743 manaro90

manaro90

Starter

• 4,781 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic, Nick Young

Posted February 24, 2017 - 10:50 AM

who else thinks jeanie and magic will have an affair ? :rolleyes:

Cologne, Germany Baby! LAKERS FOR LIFE.  |   Add me Instagram: princealaddin90

#744 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 6,943 posts

Posted February 25, 2017 - 05:21 PM

Seeing Magic at the game last night reminded me of when Phil agreed to run the Knicks in 2014, and showed up to watch the team lose.  

Right now, the poor play does not reflect upon Magic, but in November, the losses start accumulating on his account.

#745 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,302 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 25, 2017 - 11:04 PM

Seeing Magic at the game last night reminded me of when Phil agreed to run the Knicks in 2014, and showed up to watch the team lose.  

Right now, the poor play does not reflect upon Magic, but in November, the losses start accumulating on his account.

Losses until the end of the season are a good thing. If Magic's moves at the deadline help us net a top 3 pick, he would have done his job. 

#746 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 6,943 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:46 AM

Losses until the end of the season are a good thing. If Magic's moves at the deadline help us net a top 3 pick, he would have done his job. 

No one is disputing that.  

We all understand the "intricacies" of our lottery chances.   The best Magic can do is likely oversee our slide from 3rd worst record to 2nd worst.   It's what pretty much anyone would have done, once we realized we weren't going to catch a big fish (Cousins) on the cheap.  

The point is simply noting that Phil got to New York around this same time of year, and he wasn't held accountable for the terrible product he inherited.  He could watch the Knicks lose with an aura of superiority.  

Three years later, he owns the mess at MSG.

There is always excitement at this point in the process.  Hopefully, the core we have, plus the upcoming draft put us in a position to success more quickly, and in 3 years, Magic is winning executive of the year, rather than being booed out of Staples Center.  

• Rekal likes this

#747 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 6,725 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:57 AM

The mess Phil caused in New York started with sacking Mike Woodson and bringing Derek Fisher. As long as we don't go through the coach nightmare, Magic has a more straightforward job to do.

fXlFKv8.gif

#748 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 6,943 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:41 PM

He thought he was getting Steve Kerr. Downhill since that fell through.
  • lakerfan98 likes this

#749 MaceWindu

MaceWindu

Sixth Man

• 4,120 posts
  • Fan Since:Hector was a pup
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted Yesterday, 01:31 PM

Phil knows best. Lol

#750 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Superstar

• 7,842 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted Yesterday, 10:51 PM

I'd have to admit that moving on from Mitch and Jim weren't such a bad deal after all. Magic does seem more decisive in his approach, which is something that has been missing for a while. Perhaps he could have done better on the Lou deal, but changing the direction is the key move here imo. I hope he keeps up doing what he's doing and that he can install some of his "Magic" on the team with his charisma.

I do think Jim has been blamed for too much though and much of what's happened haven't really been his fault, although it ultimately is his responsibility.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)