Photo

Lakers Name Earvin "Magic" Johnson President Of Basketball Operations (Mitch Fired)

• Please log in to reply
765 replies to this topic

#1 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 24,804 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted February 02, 2017 - 10:48 AM

The Los Angeles Lakers today announced that Earvin "Magic" Johnson will return to the Lakers to assist Jeanie Buss in all areas of basketball and business as an advisor.

"We are thrilled and honored to add Magic's expertise and abilities, and I look forward to working alongside him." said Lakers Governor Jeanie Buss.

"Magic Johnson is one of the NBA's greatest players and it is terrific to see him returning to the Lakers," said NBA Commissioner Adam Silver. "He is a truly special person and a natural leader with a relentless passion for basketball and profound knowledge of the game."

"Everyone knows my love for the Lakers. Over the years, I have considered other management opportunities, however my devotion to the game and Los Angeles make the Lakers my first and only choice. I will do everything in my power to help return the Lakers to their rightful place among the elite teams of the NBA," said Johnson.

Johnson's duties will include, but not be limited to, advising ownership on all business and basketball matters, collaborating with coaches, evaluating and mentoring players, assessing future franchise needs, and helping ownership to determine the best path for growth and success. Johnson will spend time at Lakers offices in El Segundo and will report directly to Jeanie Buss.

As per Lakers policy, terms of agreement will not be disclosed.

http://www.nba.com/l...rship?et_cid=FB

#2 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 7,174 posts

Posted February 02, 2017 - 10:50 AM

Ha!

So that is one way to eliminate Jim.

fXlFKv8.gif

#3 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 24,804 posts

Posted February 02, 2017 - 10:53 AM

This is a Jeanie move and I really don't like it. Magic just isn't good with this stuff. He was a great basketball player but he is no good in the FO. 

My fear is Jeanie fires Jim and then replaces him with Magic. This is even worse than Phil coming in. 

• JGuez, Majesty, RobBlake and 2 others like this

#4 JGuez

JGuez

All-Star

• 5,873 posts

Posted February 02, 2017 - 10:58 AM

This is a Jeanie move and I really don't like it. Magic just isn't good with this stuff. He was a great basketball player but he is no good in the FO. 

My fear is Jeanie fires Jim and then replaces him with Magic. This is even worse than Phil coming in. 

Yep, that would be a really bad move.

That said if the intention is just to have Magic associated with the Lakers I think that's fine. He's good for the Laker brand which hopefully that's what Jeanie is thinking about here.

• lakerfan98 and LACAS like this

#5 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 10,373 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted February 02, 2017 - 11:10 AM

he is a good business man but i do not feel he is the answer to personnel. Now, if he somehow is able to bring back the Logo to help with that, then it would be cool. This also reminds me of what Philly did to Hinkie. Bringing in Colangelo and he just basically quietly pushed out.

#6 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 3,129 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted February 02, 2017 - 11:16 AM

As a team spokesman and mentor to the kids sure but if he's involved in day to day operations and basketball decisions this is bad news.  Remember him as an analyst on ESPN?  That was brutal to watch.  

If Jim and Mitch have to go I'd prefer we look for somebody outside the Laker family.  Somebody from San Antonio or OKC like the Nets bringing in Sean Marks last year.  Luke was different because he was part of the family but also the hottest coach on the market.  Or better yet just promote Ryan West to GM and have him and Luke run the team.  How many teams you think are lining up to have Magic run them?  Not spearhead an ownership group I mean actually run their team.  

Edited by lakerfan98, February 02, 2017 - 11:31 AM.

• FranklinPeanuts, JGuez and Jody Smokes like this

#7 JayTheGreat

JayTheGreat

Sixth Man

• 3,200 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted February 02, 2017 - 11:21 AM

Fido would lose his [expletive] if Jeanie replaced Jim with Magic. Holy [expletive].

#8 MaceWindu

MaceWindu

Starter

• 4,221 posts
  • Fan Since:Hector was a pup

Posted February 02, 2017 - 11:24 AM

I hope his inputs are concentrated solely on the philosophical side and not necessarily over personnel decisions.

#9 Rekal

Rekal

Rookie

• 685 posts
  • Name:J
  • Fan Since:Years
  • Fav. Laker:KB24

Posted February 02, 2017 - 11:29 AM

a little publicity - appeasement move, IG comments are filled with people excited lol he ain't doing [expletive]

#10 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 11,445 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted February 02, 2017 - 11:32 AM

This is so Jeannie...

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#11 bigvee

bigvee

Legend

• 12,444 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted February 02, 2017 - 11:33 AM

Just an advisor role. He's probably only there to encourage the troops.

#12 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

• 3,129 posts

Posted February 02, 2017 - 11:36 AM

The thing is that Magic is a busy guy.  He's ventured into a lot of different areas and doesn't strike me as just some retired former player that the Lakers are throwing a bone.  He has serious aspirations about owning an NBA team.  A couple years ago he tried putting together an ownership group to buy the Pistons.  So why would he be satisfied with an advisory role?    

#13 JayTheGreat

JayTheGreat

Sixth Man

• 3,200 posts
  • Fan Since:1994

Posted February 02, 2017 - 11:40 AM

The thing is that Magic is a busy guy. He's ventured into a lot of different areas and doesn't strike me as just some retired former player that the Lakers are throwing a bone. He has serious aspirations about owning an NBA team. A couple years ago he tried putting together an ownership group to buy the Pistons. So why would he be satisfied with an advisory role?

That's why I'm thinking there is more to this. I just want to see what Jeanie does in the offseason. Jim better step down just to keep his word.

#14 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 24,804 posts

Posted February 02, 2017 - 11:41 AM

As a team spokesman and mentor to the kids sure but if he's involved in day to day operations and basketball decisions this is bad news.  Remember him as an analyst on ESPN?  That was brutal to watch.  

If Jim and Mitch have to go I'd prefer we look for somebody outside the Laker family.  Somebody from San Antonio or OKC like the Nets bringing in Sean Marks last year.  Luke was different because he was part of the family but also the hottest coach on the market.  Or better yet just promote Ryan West to GM and have him and Luke run the team.  How many teams you think are lining up to have Magic run them?  Not spearhead an ownership group I mean actually run their team.  

IF Jim is fired I wonder if we could have Mitch take Jims position and Ryan take the GM position. 

• lakerfan98 likes this

#15 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

• 3,129 posts

Posted February 02, 2017 - 11:43 AM

That's why I'm thinking there is more to this. I just want to see what Jeanie does in the offseason. Jim better step down just to keep his word.

Even if that power vacuum is being filled by Magic?  

#16 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

• 3,129 posts

Posted February 02, 2017 - 11:45 AM

IF Jim is fired I wonder if we could have Mitch take Jims position and Ryan take the GM position. 

If Jim voluntarily steps down or is heavily pressured to step down by Jeanie and the rest of the Buss siblings this is the scenario I would most like to see.  

#17 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 10,373 posts

Posted February 02, 2017 - 11:48 AM

The thing is that Magic is a busy guy.  He's ventured into a lot of different areas and doesn't strike me as just some retired former player that the Lakers are throwing a bone.  He has serious aspirations about owning an NBA team.  A couple years ago he tried putting together an ownership group to buy the Pistons.  So why would he be satisfied with an advisory role?    

smells like Philly to me.. Hire Colangelo and Hinkie steps down.. In this case.. Magic in, Jim steps down. Mitch moves up, possible

#18 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Legend

• 11,324 posts

Posted February 02, 2017 - 11:48 AM

Will he still tweet?

I like to dip my feet in toilet water & smell them.

#19 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 10,373 posts

Posted February 02, 2017 - 12:11 PM

yup

Before pro basketball, I helped my dad haul trash to make ends meet. Share your #TBT w/ #PowerOfDreams.

#20 erfolk

erfolk

Sixth Man

• 2,964 posts
  • Name:Lewis
  • Fan Since:Birth:10-31-86
  • Fav. Laker:All Bout The Name On The Front

Posted February 02, 2017 - 12:13 PM

I'm pretty sure they are not bringing Magic here to make personal moves.

Edited by erfolk, February 02, 2017 - 12:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users