46 replies to this topic

#21 bigvee

bigvee

Legend

• 12,592 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted January 26, 2017 - 02:25 PM

Somethings to consider:

-LeBron took the max contract where he'll be paid 30% of the salary cap (27% of the luxury tax) for this and next year.
-LeBron built up Tristan Thompson, JR Smith, and Iman Shumpert to get deals that were and are still overpriced.

Also Dan Gilbert went from being super cheap to actually shedding out a lot of money to win a championship. Look at this:

I like what Tristan Thompson and Tryonn Lue said about this whole ordeal:

http://www.espn.com/...ayroll-spending

I'm not saying it's the same situation. The point is that people are calling LeBron soft because he's being critical of his FO when we've had our share of stars getting emotional and asking for moves.

It's no secret that the Warriors are the best team in the league and that the Cavs aren't as good as they were last year. They're hurt, older, and lost a key bench piece. It'd obviously be better if he kept it all inside the locker room and spoke to the FO personally, but LeBron isn't a stupid dude. If he thinks they're dead in the water with their current lineup, it's not "soft" for him to speak up about it.

As I said in the other thread, all he was really saying is it's not fair to those guys (Felder and Liggins) to be expected to play championship level basketball on a championship team. The media took one quote he said after a bad loss and blew it up out of context. 

#22 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 10,440 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted January 26, 2017 - 02:34 PM

It's no secret that the Warriors are the best team in the league and that the Cavs aren't as good as they were last year. They're hurt, older, and lost a key bench piece. It'd obviously be better if he kept it all inside the locker room and spoke to the FO personally, but LeBron isn't a stupid dude. If he thinks they're dead in the water with their current lineup, it's not "soft" for him to speak up about it.

As I said in the other thread, all he was really saying is it's not fair to those guys (Felder and Liggins) to be expected to play championship level basketball on a championship team. The media took one quote he said after a bad loss and blew it up out of context. 

But what is there for the Cavs to do since they committed so much money to TT, JR, and Shumpert like LeBron forced them to? Again, the Cavs are still the best team in the east, they will go to the finals again, why not just the current player elevate their play?

#23 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,335 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted January 26, 2017 - 04:40 PM

LeBron is correct, they do need help.

All big name players do this, including several Lakers through the years.

The bizarre LeBron hate rears its head again.

Except fido LeBron is the one whom lobbied and demanded in the same way he's throwing shade at the team now through the media to give big contracts to Tristan Thompson and JR Smith.  Which the Cavaliers did.  So their financial predicament where they can't get more 'big time' people is also on his shoulders too.  

The Cavaliers have spent more money than any other team in the league since getting LeBron and bent to his will to sign JR Smith AND Tristan Thompson to big contracts, so him complaining now makes him look pretty bad actually. 

• Jackson likes this

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#24 bigvee

bigvee

Legend

• 12,592 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted January 26, 2017 - 05:08 PM

But what is there for the Cavs to do since they committed so much money to TT, JR, and Shumpert like LeBron forced them to? Again, the Cavs are still the best team in the east, they will go to the finals again, why not just the current player elevate their play?

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say here. I'm not saying that what LeBron is saying is right. NBA players are sometimes emotional divas and it doesn't mean they're soft i.e. Kobe and Shaq.

#25 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 15,063 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 26, 2017 - 05:29 PM

The Carmelo trade should've and should still be done.

LeBron is right.

#26 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 10,993 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989

Posted January 27, 2017 - 04:59 PM

"What if I told you one player, tried to recruit the entire league to win a Championship" ESPN 30 for 30 presents the career of LeBron James https://t.co/TksXKFqFWk

Haha. Stole this from the fake ESPN twitter

#27 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,335 posts

Posted January 31, 2017 - 09:11 AM

Charles Barkley criticizes LeBron James, LeBron has venomous response 

"The Cleveland Cavaliers, they have given him everything he wanted. They have the highest payroll in NBA history. He wanted J.R. Smith last summer, they paid him. He wanted [Iman] Shumpert last summer. They brought in Kyle Korver. He's the best player in the world. Does he want all of the good players? He don't want to compete? He is an amazing player." 

"They're the defending champs. And for him to be trying to, hold anything over Dan Gilbert's head.   And I love all these wild punk[expletive] reporters on televisions, who's afraid to call out LeBron.  LeBron is a great player and a great guy, it just pisses me off, that a guy that great, don't want to compete."

James initially took the high road when asked about Barkley's recent comments, saying they were "good for the ratings," while defending his competitive spirit.

But after ESPN followed up with a story asking Tristan Thompson for his thoughts on Barkley's comments, James chose to speak out again in ardent fashion.

Editor's Note: Tristan Thompson's response to LeBron's "we need more" ranting. 

When LeBron James questioned the Cavaliers' commitment to winning last week -- thus questioning owner Dan Gilbert's commitment to spending -- there was a near-universal counter argument to James' claim: His urging the organization to take care of teammates J.R. Smith and Tristan Thompson in free agency the past two summers is a major reason Cleveland is in its current luxury tax bind in the first place.

"I earned my money," Thompson told ESPN of his five-year, $82 million extension he signed in 2015. "LeBron's not my agent. I earned my money doing what I do; you can ask anyone around the league. I opened doors for other guys. It's a business, and you get paid what the market value is for you. I got my money and opened up doors for other guys that play hard and do the little things."

Alright, now to LeBron's ranting about Barkley in response. 

"He's a hater," James told ESPN of Barkley following the Cleveland Cavaliers104-97 loss to the Dallas Mavericks on Monday. "What makes what he says credible? Because he's on TV?"

"I'm not going to let him disrespect my legacy like that," James told ESPN. "I'm not the one who threw somebody through a window. I never spit on a kid. I never had unpaid debt in Las Vegas. I never said, 'I'm not a role model.' I never showed up to All-Star Weekend on Sunday because I was in Vegas all weekend partying.

"All I've done for my entire career is represent the NBA the right way. Fourteen years, never got in trouble. Respected the game. Print that."

"Go watch the '93 Finals when John Paxson hit the shot," James said. "Barkley and Jordan were laughing and joking with each other during one of the games while somebody's shooting a free throw. In the Finals. But, oh, nobody were friends back then."

"I went to see Melo at the Garden two years ago when we were in New York," James said. "They played Portland. I went up to a suite at halftime, and Phil Jackson didn't say one word to me."

"I'm here to win ballgames and take care of my teammates and take care of my, what's that word, oh, my 'posse,'" James said, animatedly.

"I know he wanted to retire a long time ago, but he can't," James said. "He's stuck up on that stage every week."

James then issued a challenge, of sorts.

"And if this makes him want to talk to me, the schedule's out there," James said. "He knows every road arena I'll be in. Don't just come up to me at All-Star and shake my hand and smile."

"I collect one paycheck from this," James said of his role with the Cavs. "There's the owner, Griff's [David Griffin] the GM, I'm the player. Screw Charles Barkley."

"I'm tired of biting my tongue," James said. "There's a new sheriff in town."
http://www.espn.com/...s-barkley-hater

05289dd0e2443b3009e8f3ecd400bf5d7f539b-w

Edited by Majesty, January 31, 2017 - 09:32 AM.

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#28 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 3,431 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 31, 2017 - 09:39 AM

About time.  If I were LeBron I don't think I would have stopped there.  The words has been and loser would have been included.  Barkley talking about current players bad attitudes is like Ray Lewis talking about PEDs.  He's a joke.  

Edited by lakerfan98, January 31, 2017 - 09:40 AM.

#29 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,680 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted January 31, 2017 - 10:30 AM

Bron is a baby

#30 Tensai

Tensai

Superstar

• 8,291 posts

Posted January 31, 2017 - 11:06 AM

For the first time in a long time Lebron won't be getting to the Finals. And that will tie the knot in his legacy.

fXlFKv8.gif

#31 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

Superstar

• 7,248 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted January 31, 2017 - 11:30 AM

LeBron is correct, they do need help.

All big name players do this, including several Lakers through the years.

The bizarre LeBron hate rears its head again.

Agreed, there is no doubt alot of unnecessary hate is directed towards Lebron on this forum...

However, you have to take into consideration the circumstances.

(A) Lebron has jut won a ring, the Cavs FO followed his every demand in the offseason to keep the champion contender together outside of a few pieces in Delly, Moz, etc.

(B) The Cavs have the highest payroll in the NBA, as much of an ass Dan Gilbert is, he's been willing to open up his wallet for Lebron

© There was no reason to make the request public, especially considering A and B.  

Should have just kept it in house.  I've always viewed Lebron as one of the greatest athletic specimens to ever step foot on the hardwood.  I've just always hated how he carriers himself at times.

#32 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

Superstar

• 7,248 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted January 31, 2017 - 11:31 AM

For the first time in a long time Lebron won't be getting to the Finals. And that will tie the knot in his legacy.

That's a very interesting statement.  Who do you see making it out of the East?  Cause I personally think even without Love in the equation, the Cavs would still be in the Finals...

#33 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 10,993 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989

Posted January 31, 2017 - 11:47 AM

DON'T CARE!!! One never one a ring and the other i just dont like, period

#34 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 8,550 posts

Posted January 31, 2017 - 11:53 AM

Are you paying attention to the rest of the East right now?

Nobody is capable of beating CLE in a 7 game series.

#35 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,537 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted January 31, 2017 - 12:38 PM

Hahaha...

BOOM on Barkley.

Who is a clown that is sometimes funny.

Not sure why chuck has to say everything that comes out of his mouth twice though.

Annoying as hell.

Yeah, we heard you the first time

Edited by kball, January 31, 2017 - 12:39 PM.

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#36 stillshining

stillshining

Off The Bench

• 2,015 posts
  • Name:Adam
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:Slava Medvedenko

Posted January 31, 2017 - 01:19 PM

I agreed 100% with Barkleys stance on THIS particular situation, I wasn't a fan of it but maybe Bron thought his team needed a wake up call and that includes ownership and the front office. I especially agreed with the notion that it almost seemed like no one wanted to call out Bron and say their true opinion which is why you gotta respect Barkley. He doesn't have any obvious biases and he will spare no one if he feels it to be true, he is must see TV.

Like Lakerfan tho I completely agree with Bron letting loose, Barkley is really not one to talk with his egregious history so it must have been pissing him off for quite some time. He ended off his rant with "There's a new sheriff in town" which I thought was great. D Wade seemed to have loved it too haha

Edited by stillshining, January 31, 2017 - 01:20 PM.

#37 stillshining

stillshining

Off The Bench

• 2,015 posts
  • Name:Adam
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:Slava Medvedenko

Posted January 31, 2017 - 01:24 PM

Anyone else feel like LeBron is really needing some love from Phil? This is the another time he brought him up unprovoked and he tripping about Phil not coming to say hi? Lol I always felt like Bron was such a student of the game and had the upmost respect for Phil but is salty that he's never really gotten any love back

#38 androsays

androsays

representing infinity with presidencies

• 5,819 posts
  • Name:andro
  • Fan Since:90s
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted January 31, 2017 - 01:33 PM

Kobe did complain publicly about his team and the FO, but only after just getting reverse swept and missing the playoffs the year before. Also, some guy named Smush was his starting back court mate

The Cavs are coming off of a championship, and LBJ has two All-Stars playing with him.

I respect LBJ and he will go down as one of the best to ever lace em up, but he is not cut from the same cloth as MJ and Kobe.

Also, what the [expletive] does Chuck know.

2div

#39 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,335 posts

Posted January 31, 2017 - 08:29 PM

Charles Barkley: Some of the things he said about me were correct, however it doesn't make what I said about him incorrect 

"I stick by what I said, I'm not going to make this personal ... he was all whiny last week," Barkley said on the Waddle & Silvy show on ESPN Radio on Tuesday. "... I'm good and I'm straightforward, I'm never going to get personal on an NBA player." 

When asked Tuesday if he felt James crossed the line, Barkley said it was a case of shooting the messenger and that he had no issues with James' remarks. 

"I was laughing, clearly he did some homework ... he Googled me and found some things," Barkley said. "He was young when I was playing, so I appreciate that, but I'm not upset about it ... my criticism was fair and I'm good with that." 

"Some of the stuff he said about me is correct -- doesn't make the message I said about him incorrect," Barkley said. "Some of them are intimidated about LeBron [but] I'm not intimidated at all." 
http://www.espn.com/...inue-speak-mind 

Freaking Charles Barkley comes off this classy.... CHARLES...BARKLEY.... 

Anyway he did have a point as well, what isn't quoted. He said that in what he said, he also said LeBron was top 10 all time, aside from the critique he also said LeBron is one of the greatest talents the game has ever seen, he also said that LeBron is a great guy within that criticism. 

So really, there was nothing wrong with what Charles said, LeBron made it bigger than it had to be, because he couldn't deny it, so he went personal and hit low. 

Also while Charles goes about it one way, LBJ went about it afterword like he just dropped the most fire verse in a rap battle after insulting Charles 

@KingJames 
Sometimes I gotta just make sure that i didn't lose you. Did I?!?! Did I?!?! Did I Lose You 

You stay classy.

#40 Saber

Saber

O.G.

• 13,858 posts
  • Name:Ivan
  • Fan Since:year 2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 01, 2017 - 01:27 AM

I don't like how Lebron responds to criticism. Yes Barkley can be annoying, but he's speaking the truth and criticizing Lebron's basketball, not his personal life. How much more help do you need, Lebron ? He doesn't have the right to take cheap shots at Barkley like that. Lebron has a far better basketball resume, he could've easily put Barkley in his place by comparing basketball achievements, but no he decided to take jabs at him about his lifestyle off the court. That's kinda childish to me. Didn't expect that from a vet like Lebron. And all those dickriders who say "there's a new sheriff in town" oh [expletive] please .. Lebron is starting to act like a queer again .. 

P.S. They still gonna make the Finals though. East is weak as usual ..

• Majesty likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users