According to him he's happy there.

Since when.

fXlFKv8.gif

#22 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 7,606 posts

Posted January 22, 2017 - 10:37 PM

It's true. The new CBA allows the Kings and OKC to give out extensions to their stars under the new salary cap. There is no way Cousins turns down the pay-day. It would be shocking.

Doesn't matter. We would have his Bird rights.

fXlFKv8.gif

#23 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 7,614 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted January 23, 2017 - 01:51 AM

Do you know what Bird rights are?

Edited by kidpolean, January 23, 2017 - 01:51 AM.

#24 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 7,606 posts

Posted January 23, 2017 - 05:19 AM

Do you know what Bird rights are?

I do. Do you?

fXlFKv8.gif

#25 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 7,614 posts

Posted January 23, 2017 - 05:54 AM

I do. Do you?

Dude, you are referring to the designated player rule that was altered with the new CBA. Bird rights had nothing to do with that conversation.

I was seriously just messing with you but it's clear that you actually don't know what Bird rights are.

The rule states that this exception can only be used if the player was traded during his rookie contract or drafted by his current team. So in your scenario, Cousins wouldn't be able to receive the same contract if he was acquired by the Lakers.

Edited by kidpolean, January 23, 2017 - 06:11 AM.

#26 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 7,606 posts

Posted January 23, 2017 - 06:40 AM

Huh? That is not what I was referring to at all.

Since we would have Cousins bird rights, we could offer him a higher rate of increase at the time of his free agency - the same he would get from Kings if he stayed there. That is why it does not matter.

Edited by Tensai, January 23, 2017 - 06:41 AM.

fXlFKv8.gif

#27 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 7,614 posts

Posted January 23, 2017 - 06:59 AM

Huh? That is not what I was referring to at all.

Since we would have Cousins bird rights, we could offer him a higher rate of increase at the time of his free agency - the same he would get from Kings if he stayed there. That is why it does not matter.

Bird rights simply stops teams from losing their own players due to being over or near the salary cap. It allows teams to sign their own players regardless of their cap room available. That has nothing to do with this situation!

The designated player rule allows the Kings to extend Cousins 5 years for 35% of their cap which we could not do even if we traded for him. They can offer him far more money than we can.

Edited by kidpolean, January 23, 2017 - 07:00 AM.

#28 JGuez

JGuez

All-Star

• 5,942 posts

Posted January 23, 2017 - 07:06 AM

I think you don't understand. The point is the Kings have no reason to trade him because it is very unlikely he'll want to leave if they offer him a max contract extension. That would be all they have to do.

CBA is designed to have teams keep their players.

DeMarcus Cousins plans to sign a $200 million contract extension with the Sacramento Kings this summer, according to CSN California’s James Ham. Cousins will be eligible for a designated player extension due to making the All-NBA team in 2015 and 2016. Cousins is otherwise on track to be an unrestricted free agent in 2018.

ESPN’s Marc Stein reported recently that the Kings planned to offer Cousins the massive extension. Ham’s sources suggest that Cousins’ camp has been in contact with the team on the extension and that the two-time All-Star plans to sign it.

The NBA and players’ union agreed to more robust contract extension rules that will go into effect with the new labor deal on July 1. Under the new rules, teams can offer players extensions of up to five years beginning at 35 percent of the salary cap if they meet certain criteria, such as making two All-NBA teams in the previous three years as Cousins will have. Without the designated player tag, Cousins’ new contract in 2018 could only start at 30 percent of the salary cap. That difference amounts to roughly $30-40 million over five years.

http://www.sbnation....extension-kings

#29 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 7,606 posts

Posted January 23, 2017 - 07:16 AM

I thought the designated player only applied to the rookie scale contracts. If that is included in new CBA, that is retarded as [expletive]. Didn't they have lockout in 2011 because of the contracts like Joe Johnson got? How could they allow 5 year $200m? Ridiculous.

fXlFKv8.gif

#30 LACAS

LACAS

Off The Bench

• 1,957 posts
  • Name:CAS
  • Fan Since:1974
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 23, 2017 - 07:27 AM

Who cares, we suck

• Biggums likes this

#31 JGuez

JGuez

All-Star

• 5,942 posts

Posted January 23, 2017 - 07:30 AM

I thought the designated player only applied to the rookie scale contracts. If that is included in new CBA, that is retarded as [expletive]. Didn't they have lockout in 2011 because of the contracts like Joe Johnson got? How could they allow 5 year $200m? Ridiculous.

The new CBA allows teams like OKC to keep Westbrook (again btw.....they just extended him last season):

“Good news” “and collective bargaining agreements”, also known as the CBA, have not been two phrases that Oklahoma City Thunder hear very often in the same sentence. That is not the case with the newly agreed upon CBA, as things are looking bright for the Thunder.

and like I quoted above, Sacramento to keep Boogie.

The new CBA is making it incredibly difficult for players to leave their teams. The amount of money stars would have to turn down is absolutely enormous if they choose to leave their team especially going forward.

In fact I'd argue it's so difficult that even talking about free agents sounds like a joke now. You may see a scenario where Westbrook signs another extension with the Thunder next summer because the CBA has been designed to make teams draft well and keep their own players.

Said it in the other thread in relation to Westbrook but this Cousins news (assuming it's true) is just more proof that teams need to draft well going forward.

Stars are not leaving their teams if the team is willing to offer the max. Which....every team will have to offer their stars the max because if they don't, other teams will. 

New CBA is designed to keep stars on the team they're currently with and the odds of any of these guys leaving are becoming incredibly low. The amount of money they'd have to give up just so they could choose the team they're on is way too much money now. 

Yeah....winning is great but so is making millions of dollars to play basketball.

#32 JGuez

JGuez

All-Star

• 5,942 posts

Posted January 23, 2017 - 07:32 AM

Who cares, we suck

Then don't post on this board if all you're going to do is go thread to thread saying we suck.

You're adding nothing to the conversation:

xTIoua7.png

• FranklinPeanuts, LakeShow1o1 and kball like this

#33 Ventiquattro

Ventiquattro

All-Star

• 6,379 posts

Posted January 23, 2017 - 08:54 AM

Haha !!

#34 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 7,614 posts

Posted January 23, 2017 - 09:12 AM

How did you not know about this?

#35 LACAS

LACAS

Off The Bench

• 1,957 posts

Posted January 23, 2017 - 10:27 AM

Then don't post on this board if all you're going to do is go thread to thread saying we suck.

xTIoua7.png

I was venting man, pent up anger, I had a moment, I was vulnerable, I was weak and defeated... 4+years of anger will get to you... I am allowed.... its over, I got it off my chest.... Go Lakers!

Edited by LACAS, January 23, 2017 - 10:52 AM.

#36 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 3,326 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 23, 2017 - 10:53 AM

360.gif

#37 Biggums

Biggums

I Do Work

• 414 posts
  • Fan Since:birth
  • Fav. Laker:kobe / glen rice

Posted January 23, 2017 - 10:53 AM

xTIoua7.png

lmao. 5 posts of "we suck" 

• LACAS likes this
Posted Image
SPurs Suck

#38 LACAS

LACAS

Off The Bench

• 1,957 posts

Posted January 23, 2017 - 11:10 AM

lmao. 5 posts of "we suck" 

LMAO I had a moment, I was weak and vulnerable... 

Stone me now! 

• Biggums likes this

#39 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

All-Star

• 6,844 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted January 23, 2017 - 01:39 PM

If the Bulls agreed to the deal, would anyone be for it?  I don't really see why they would be interested considering they have Wade and Butler, but I just wanna see your guys' opinions.

Lakers Receive: Rajon Rondo

Bulls Receive: Luol Deng

Rondo only has 1 more year on his contract after this which isn't nearly as bad as the long term commitment we'd have tied to Deng.  He's also still a very capable perimeter defender and playmaker.  I just question his mental and leadership because he's clearly had alot of issues in that department as of late.

#40 Jackson

Jackson

Hall Of Fame

• 9,792 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted January 23, 2017 - 01:43 PM

If the Bulls agreed to the deal, would anyone be for it?  I don't really see why they would be interested considering they have Wade and Butler, but I just wanna see your guys' opinions.

Lakers Receive: Rajon Rondo

Bulls Receive: Luol Deng

Rondo only has 1 more year on his contract after this which isn't nearly as bad as the long term commitment we'd have tied to Deng.  He's also still a very capable perimeter defender and playmaker.  I just question his mental and leadership because he's clearly had alot of issues in that department as of late.

Rondo has been pretty cancerous lately. I wanted him before, but not anymore.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users